• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clover Studio -> Seeds

BuzzJive

klee123 said:
Usually with these devs, they would have dev kits for all systems, unless they are a first/second party dev. I wouldn't be surprised if they still have PS2 dev kits.

But why would a startup company splurge on dev kits for systems they aren't developing for?

Granted - they could just be some test stations to try out other software too. That's definitely a common practice.

klee123

BuzzJive said:
But why would a startup company splurge on dev kits for systems they aren't developing for?

Granted - they could just be some test stations to try out other software too. That's definitely a common practice.

Well, if they're going for third party development, they might as well get fully prepared.

LJ11

BuzzJive said:

What makes you think the picture is new and not taken when they were all at Capcom?

Lorul2

n_ueda_08.gif

Microsoft says JUMP IN!!

Note the controller in the background....DAMN THE EVIL EMPIRE HAS WON...cue the Star WARS Episode 3 Gifs...

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:
Well he's on contract for some game at Capcom according to Capcom's statement when Kamiya/Inaba left.

It could be some other game that Capcom wants him to work on, but yeah.....

Yeah, people need to read the fine print. Mikami works WITH Capcom, not AT or UNDER Capcom. That can include anything from advising positions (as seems to be the case with RE5) to flat out directing a game. He could be doing the same with Seeds.

Still, while this new company may seem like Clover under a new name, remember that they're not exactly funded by Capcom anymore (the way they were as Clover), so they may not have the capacity to create another Okami-like epic project unless they have a crapton of money or have good funders willing to go with their next big idea. Don't get your hopes up too high and be disappointed. Be realistic in your expectations.

keanerie

Like cvxfreak pointed out, we can't be too certain about how much money the studio is sitting on, so maybe a big-budget PS3 game is out of the question. So Wii or DS would seem like pretty feasible possibilities. Personally, I'd like to see them just put out a small but ambitious game for the DS, one with a few really cool ideas carried out well instead of embarking on something totally epic. Maybe something commercial and viable so that they can make some $$$ before moving on to more adventurous places. But really, I just want to see them put out a great, inventive and awesome game. Anything from these guys, I hope, will be pure gold. Kamiya's got that Midas Touch, anyway.

keanerie said:
Personally, I'd like to see them just put out a small but ambitious game for the DS, one with a few really cool ideas carried out well instead of embarking on something totally epic. Maybe something commercial and viable so that they can make some $$$ before moving on to more adventurous. But really, I just want to see them put out a great, inventive and awesome game.

That would be ideal. I could totally see great, epic games coming from them and being ignored again.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I could see Microsoft funding a 360 title from them. Otherwise it'll be something on Wii or DS.

keanerie said:
Like cvxfreak pointed out, we can't be too certain about how much money the studio is sitting on, so maybe a big-budget PS3 game is out of the question.
something tells me considering the pedigree of this studio, they're gonna have their choice of working with Sony, MS, or Nintendo, and they're gonna get to do whatever they want.

there's no way in hell publishers aren't willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt. sure, you can bring up that their games bombed, but who's fault was that? the team, or the suits at capcom?

these guys won't have any trouble getting adequate funding.

Loved Clover but this story for me is all about Mikami. I know he is basically like a free lance developer that is working with Capcom at the moment but if he finds a permanent home with Seeds that means no more Mikami and RE. :(

I hope he finds a way to work with both companies.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I'm not sure why, but this news kinda dissappoints me.

For starters, I'm not all that thrilled about the name. I just getting to accept "Clover" before they canned it, "Seeds" will take even longer. But that's hardly the problem.

I was kind of hoping these people would find their place inside another well established company. So we could see their talents added to larger projects and sooner. When I look at the other start-up companies that were formed similar to this, there is nothing there that excites me. It's basically low-budget games that have potentional, but not enough substance to really satisify. Without knowing what type of backing they have, I don't know if this really good news.

I suppose any of the big 3 are potentional backers. I want to see them develope what they want and not be tied-down to anyone. I'd also like to see them have a huge hit on their hands. Personally, I think I'd preffer it if Capcom was behind them to start ... similar to Clover but with full independence.

ethelred

I think Atsushi Inaba's made it pretty clear he's really not interested in developing for the Wii. That said, the legion of fanboys that gushed into this thread to express their desire to see these newly independent developers get consumed by the fanboys' first party of choice was amusing, to say the least.

Jonnyram

Awesome news, though if they have only been working since August, we probably won't see the fruits of their labour for some time... unless they drop a couple of quick DS/PSP games like Q Entertainment did.

TreIII

ethelred said:
I think Atsushi Inaba's made it pretty clear he's really not interested in developing for the Wii. That said, the legion of fanboys that gushed into this thread to express their desire to see these newly independent developers get consumed by the fanboys' first party of choice was amusing, to say the least.

Even if he personally isn't, that doesn't say anything for resident Ninty fan Shinji Mikami, he-whose-name-is-synonmous-with-bad-ass-gaming Hideki Kamiya, or any one else who may happen to be on their staff. And of course, his opinions are very open to change since last time he may have been quoted, much like the other formerly "not interested in Wii" Koji Igarashi.

Besides, if their overall direction is going to be some what similar to their time as Clover, they'll probably be focusing on the "lower-end/cost effective" consoles first, and work their way up from there. And barring PS2 being an option, I think the Wii is next in line, with 360 possibly being an interesting choice too.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
ethelred said:
He did? I remember a quote from him saying he was interested in it. Are you sure you not thinking of Keita Takahashi?

ethelred

JJConrad said:
He did? I remember a quote from him saying he was interested in it. Are you sure you not thinking of Keita Takahashi?

Both of them are disinterested! For the same reason, too, really.

Tarazet

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Given Microsoft's strategy of how they develop japanese games for the 360, they should be funded by MS in ....3..........2.............

That would make my day. Month. Maybe the entire console generation.

bycha

Great news. I hope they have all the funding they need anв they develop commercially successful game.

ethelred

JJConrad said:
Do you have a link? I've looked and looked and couldn't find anything from him.

Meh. I've posted it on GAF at least twice before; I'm not going to dig it up again to prove a point -- the proof will be in him not developing for Wii. It's not my fault I remember everything and no one else does.

Acosta

We have the best news in weeks and some you can´t think in other thing that exclusives... I would buy their games even if they are in mobile :p

Acosta

C- Warrior said:

Nice!

Although, I personally felt God Hand was a heaping pile of shit, and that heaping pile of shit belong to Shinji Mikami, who's not a part of Seed. Only problem I found with your translation posted on your blog ;)

Err, my japanese is horrible but I think Shinji Mikami appears in the intro.

稲葉敦志。神谷英樹。三上真司。そして、選りすぐりのスタッフ達。

I don´t know shit, but could you explain yourself?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
ethelred said:
Meh. I've posted it on GAF at least twice before; I'm not going to dig it up again to prove a point -- the proof will be in him not developing for Wii. It's not my fault I remember everything and no one else does.
I've narrowed the search down to your posts and I must say that you are seriously overstating what he was saying. Twice, in that search results, you claimed that he said that the Wii was a bad idea, but in the first quote he talked about having ideas for the Sixaxis, and in the second he was saying that it's not a good idea to try to make a game just around a controller and that Okami would have been different had it been designed for Wii. In my search I also found a statement that he had ideas for the Wii. He was hardly clear about not be interested in Wii.

cvxfreak

C- Warrior said:

Nice!

Although, I personally felt God Hand was a heaping pile of shit, and that heaping pile of shit belong to Shinji Mikami, who's not a part of Seed. Only problem I found with your translation posted on your blog ;)

His name does appear on the website. Gaijin bolded it.

Top Bottom