• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo discontinued worldwide, new program to follow

Nanashrew

Banned
There's also cross-buy in Europe though. No idea why it's not been implemented in NA yet.

No clue either. But maybe this is a way to make that sort of thing easier to do. I'm really betting on a unified service from what Iwata said back in January of last year about moving to NNIDs and moving away from a device based service to an account based one, and what better way to showcase this than Mario. It would make the feature more well known and that it can now be done globally.

madmackem

Got over 3 k but there is nothing at all worth the points and there hasn't been for years utter shit program in the uk and won't be missed.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wario Land 2 is tempting, but I will wait till Feb to use any coins. I wonder what kind of platinum status rewards they'll have for the grand finale.

Nesther

Maybe they'll launch a worldwide uniform service. Always found it odd that some regions uses coins and another stars.

Also too bad about previous elite status not being carried over. Just deleting that is kinda radical, I bet a lot of fans are attached to their yearly elite status.

oti

Banned
B7yQi0DIcAA2cLc.png

Crayolan

Oh wow that's crazy, never thought I'd see CN go, but if it means a better account system in the long run them I'll all for it.

Too bad this is happening at an awkward time for me, all my codes are at my home and I won't be back home till March. Knowing Nintendo's stock lately everything will be sold out well before I get back. =/

1,200 coins for NA. Hoping something cool will come but not banking on it. If there is something super cool it'll probably be like 1,500

Eolz

I know this wasn't really good but this makes me sad.
I'd really like if there was some possibility to still register games.

Dee Dee

15,000. It was easier to collect them back then though, through random surveys and getting 5* per day just for logging in.

I only registered 2 years ago.

Nowadays you spent around 1 or 2 EUR per 10 stars. So you spent around 3000 - 1500 EUR to get this amazing LE.

I spent between 2400 and 1200 EUR and got 3 Wii VC games.

:(

Future RIP to club Nintendo

I'm gonna save my coins til February and if that's the last month for new physical rewards than I'll just buy digital stuff

I bet those Wii games will be platinum reward later this year

Can USA finally get the Mario kart trophies :/

Danchi

Can't say I'm too upset to see the service go in the UK.

The website was always awful for me. Crashed all the time. Just logged in to see how many points I had. Tried to fill out a questionnaire for one of the digital games, clicked the button to submit, and it took me straight back to the first page of the questionnaire -__-

Sad times. I remember the early 90s when I got my Club Nintendo Magazine and my membership card. They even send me postcards at christmas!

Then we lost all this and got the digital thing. Never bothered with the stars too much but I got OoT for the gamecube plus master quest out of it.

And now its gone forever. :(

I guess it was only a matter of time. Too complicated and unnecessary with the NNID. I hope they replace it with something good.

Farewell.

Seems like all Wii games can no longer be registered. :(

I would guess it's the same for original DS games too.

EDIT: I am completely incorrect! Skyward Sword just worked for me.

What about all those free game offers Club Nintendo had? Like register this game and get a download code for one of these...no more of them? :c I've made a lot of money on ebay selling those codes because I already have most first party 3DS games in physical form. Also wasn't Club Nintendo the work around for regaining the games on your account if you lose your system?

drgambit

Banned
I will give all my coins for another attempt at some hanafuda cards.

I did get the animal crossing fans, which are beautiful.

Well that's just great, I have about 8000 stars sitting unused because of how crummy the prize selection has been lately. They say there will be more, but with everyone cashing their stars out they sure won't last long enough.

Wii games still work fine, I just registered Go Vacation. Probably just an expired code you tried to use.

What about all those free game offers Club Nintendo had? Like register this game and get a download code for one of these...no more of them? :c I've made a lot of money on ebay selling those codes because I already have most first party 3DS games in physical form. Also wasn't Club Nintendo the work around for regaining the games on your account if you lose your system?

I guess it will now be made through NNID.

They could still get around this, e.g. if you link a new nintendo handheld/console to your i.d. between certain dates, get a free game. Does stop you hoarding codes for it though, which sucks.

octopiggy

I've got 5,700 stars and don't know whether to use them now before the store gets cleared out or to wait for something better.

You would think that as the end approaches they might add digital stuff that they have an infinite supply of, so games and eshop funds. What to do?

JoeM86

Well that's just great, I have about 8000 stars sitting unused because of how crummy the prize selection has been lately. They say there will be more, but with everyone cashing their stars out they sure won't last long enough.

Wii games still work fine, I just registered Go Vacation. Probably just an expired code you tried to use.

Everyone's cashing in their stars now, meaning the stuff they add in the next couple of months will be all ours...bwahahahaha

Yrael

Okay, so now I'm up to 2500 stars.

The most interesting things on the Australian store seem to be:

- a Mario hat worth 2400 stars
- a Pikmin tote bag worth 2200 stars
- a white DS game wallet worth 1200 stars

...meh. :/ I'm going to wait a little longer before buying anything.

These are the rewards I've already earned:

- Golden Nunchuk
- Hanafuda playing cards
- Zelda 20th anniversary poster set
- Ocarina of Time soundtrack CD
- Super Smash Bros soundtrack CD
- Mewtwo download code

Not too shabby, I guess.

Rocky

Banned
Just noticed the new CN games say available until 6/30/2015. Guess these are the last monthly ones then. Hope they add more, since I have pretty much all of them. I'm up to 1770 coins currently with more coming from the post play surveys, if they are still doing those.

Zafir

Not true. Just the other week I registered some Wii and DS games. Boom Street, Beat the Beat Rhythm Paradise and Pokemon Typing Adventures I specifically remember.

That's EU anyway, dunno about US.

I've got soooo many points, how am I gonna use them all? lol.

Why can't they just let me exchange for VC games or funds into my Nintendo wallet or something. :(

Chastten

Banned

Will be sad to see it go as I have gotten quite a few nice item from there over the years, but I'm glad we finally know for sure now.

Now to decide what to do with my points.. getting some goodies now or wait for the store to be updated.

Garou

Wow, in Japan you can now get 4,000 Yen for 800 points, that's basically a retail 3DS-game.

Still, will hope for some nice soundtracks before the end...

Saiyan-Rox

Not much of a loss imo club nintendo prices are shocking anyway. the product star value and value of things to buy is stupid.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever the followup is, if there is one, will probably be announced at E3.

nibblemonkey

Neo Member
I remember being the first physical thing I brought from Club Nintendo was a DS game holder for 4000 stars, still use it today. I have 8000 stars sat on my account so I hope I can get something good

Caramello

This is something Iwata mentioned in 2014:

"Until now it has been taken for granted that software is offered to users at the same price regardless of how many titles they purchase in a year, be it one, five or even ten titles. Based on our account system, if we can offer flexible price points to consumers who meet certain conditions, we can create a situation where these consumers can enjoy our software at cheaper price points when they purchase more. Here, we do not need to limit the condition to the number of software titles they purchase. Inviting friends to start playing a particular software title is also an example of a possible condition. If we can achieve such a sales mechanism, we can expect to increase the number of players per title, and the players will play our games with more friends."

Whether this has something to do with this new loyalty program or not is obviously anyone's guess.

Tanwo

Wow... I mean, it was a matter of time, but I didn't expect it so soon. Really the end of an era.
I still remember getting stars with GBA and GameCube games, and being able to redeem them for physical games (well, only once, for Metroid Prime 2).

Piccoro

You'll have to buy games released prior to 1/20/15 to even get codes, fyi.

From the Club Nintendo Info Page:

1/20/2015 Products released after this date are not eligible for registration with Club Nintendo

What does this mean? If I buy a digital game after tomorrow, I will no longer earn any stars? If so, I'm buying Duck Hunt today, as I was planning on getting it next week...

Rocky

Banned
Bonus!! I just realized I never registered my Black/Black 3DS XL, just my first Blue/Black one. I'm up to 1930 coins now :).

What does this mean? If I buy a digital game after tomorrow, I will no longer earn any stars? If so, I'm buying Duck Hunt today, as I was planning on getting it next week...

If you buy a digital game tomorrow you'll get coins. If you buy a digital game tomorrow which is released tomorrow, you won't.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I just hope they will not wait until it expiration to announce the substitute.
The silent expiration of the DDP was enough

Top Bottom