• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clueless Gamer: "ARMS" With Will Arnett

Chao

Pretty neat, but I don't understand why he referred to it as a fighting game instead of a party game??

I imagine a world where Capcom sold the Street Fighter IP to Nintendo and people still found a way to call it a party game because it's on a Nintendo console.

On topic: that was great, I almost forgot clueless gamer was a thing, they film so very few of them.

NeonBlack

"This game actually requires a lot of strategy."

-- proceeds to say nothing about how or why.

Funny video, but these guys flailing their arms around only make the game look hella gimmicky. Kind of wish he explained blocking, movement and turn punches. It would have taken him 15 seconds.

I wonder if this helps or hurts the game...

You'll love the Overwatch video.

I'm not watching these anymore if they include celebrities, sorry Conan.

So all of them?

jts

...hate me...
It's a paid advertisement. You'd think Nintendo would like people to actually see the product.

It's not a Nintendo directed advertisement. Even if it is paid, and in all likelihood it is, this is still a recurrent Conan segment with autonomous creative control. If companies want to play ball with it fine, otherwise there are other companies and games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I really hope this is sarcasm.
I am 100% sure if i get this game for my family all they would do is punch as fast as they can and move left and right . Just like conan

I know the gameplay behind is deeper.
But for casual players? Nope waggle

Servbot24

Banned
This was very unsatisfying. Conan only selected one character and did not discuss the game mechanics. Aaron should have taken more control of the demo and gone through the character options in order to display the stunning designs. The Switch is a phenomenon and Arms is a future classic Nintendo IP, it deserves the respect of the host. Highly unprofessional. I am sure Conan will be hearing from Nintendo. I expect a public apology and a proper demo tomorrow night. I will also be boycotting the upcoming season of Bojack Horseman.

/s

Pretty neat, but I don't understand why he referred to it as a fighting game instead of a party game??

Think about it really really hard and see if you can figure it out.

I am 100% sure if i get this game for my family all they would do is punch as fast as they can and move left and right . Just like conan

No different to all fighting games being button mashers for casual players. At least in this you start to grasp the actual tactics very quickly since there’s no special moves or combos to learn.

Thats your family's problem, not the game's.

If I get street fighter the only thing my family would do is button mashing.

See what i did there? now change street fighter for any other game ever made.

Oersted

Oh no? Most fighting games, if not all, are button smashers for beginners. Everyone was able to live with that just fine.

Edit:

I see that I had a very unique thought

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Thats your family's problem, not the game's.

If I get street fighter the only thing my family would do is button mashing.

See what i did there? now change street fighter for any other game ever made.
the problem is that a casual waggle player still can beat a person that is half decent at the game.

streetfighter ? not so much

but then again comparing streetfighter with arms is just silly

You do realize the same shit can be said for any game.

I mean if I gave my little brother to play Street Fighter, Splatoon, OverWatch, and etc it would turn into button mashing because he doesn't know how to play the game well.

the problem is that a casual waggle player still can beat a person that is half decent at the game.

Its been shown that you will lose easily if you waggle lol.

Any half decent player can beat someone who just waggles since this game requires good positioning.

ReitStuff

I feel like people in GAF don't really understand the CluelessGamer videos. The average Conan viewer doesn't watch to see what the strategy of ARMS is or to see who all the characters are. They just like seeing Conan dick around with some celebrity cracking jokes. They don't make these videos for gamers.

Budi

While not showing the game much, the friendly ribbing is something that friends and family will be doing while competing with Switch games. So in that sense it atleast makes the game seem fun. Though I guess those "burns" were included for Pepsi Fire promotion =P

And for the not going with Twintelle thing, I wouldn't be surprised if Conan and writing staff were asked to tone the perviness down for Nintendo product.

I feel like people in GAF don't really understand the CluelessGamer videos. The average Conan viewer doesn't watch to see what the strategy of ARMS is or to see who all the characters are. They just like seeing Conan dick around with some celebrity cracking jokes. They don't make these videos for gamers.

Yeah, they are humorous ads not reviews. The FF15 meltdown in GAF was hugely embarrasing. And Conan has been on record saying that he really doesn't care about gaming. These are just parts of their show.

Its because lots of people on GAF take it too seriously.

This is wrong, any punch or grab spammer can easily be punished with a basic understanding of the game. It all depends on how good you are... I used to win lots of matches as a kid with Honda by pressing the same button over and over.
But I understand that motion controls would easily lead to casual waggle mayhem.

Chauzu

If a waggler beats you, you are far from half decent at ARMS.

You need to watch this. Knowing how to deal with scrubs and mashers is also part of high level play.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
this segment of the show keeps getting worse and worse ever since he started playing with celebrities, from picking awful games to taking too long to make a new episode. they should just stop it

Sadly agree. It was so good when only him and Aaron were doing it

Imma pile on here. You obviously have not played the game at all. If you casually waggle, you will get your ass handed to you, even in party mode. If you causally waggle, you won't make it past level 2 in the single-player Grand Prix.

Pastry

Banned

lol you're in for a rude awakening if you think that just throwing random punches would fly in ARMS past like ranked 2 or 3.

Permanently A

Yep, shame on Conan and co. for ruining these product placement segments with overrated celebrities.

You won't be seeing my ad revenue anymore!

I have no beef with them being product placement segments. Its product placement for something I actually like. I have absolutely no interest in product placement of the actors. The segments are much more enjoyable to watch when Conan is just playing through and finding things to rip on.

So all of them?

Now its all of them I supposed, before it used to be just Conan and Aaron.

Wamb0wneD

+1

Tbf, the only bad one I can think of was FF15. Poorly chosen gameplay sections and him bashing the game wasn't funny.

Ah, so barely showing any gameplay of Arms, just flailing around and not showing any mechanics whatsoever is the best segment yet, but the FF 15 one is the worst for showing bad sections and too much trashtalking.

You make a lot of sense...
Maybe don't let your fandom of a game series cloud your judgement of quality.

Korgill

Ah, so barely showing any gameplay of Arms, just flailing around and not showing any mechanics whatsoever is the best segment yet, but the FF 15 one is the worst for showing bad sections and too much trashtalking.

You make a lot of sense...
Maybe don't let your fandom of a game series cloud your judgement of quality.

The Final Fantasy one is easily the best one. It hit a lot of people's complaints about the game (or at least mine), they seemed to actually play a good chunk of the game, and it had a celebrity guest without being about the celebrity.

Wamb0wneD

The Final Fantasy one is easily the best one. It hit a lot of people's complaints about the game (or at least mine), they seemed to actually play a good chunk of the game, and it had a celebrity guest without being about the celebrity.

Agreed. But the poster i quoted likes FF15 so it's the worst episode to him i guess.
Showing 1.5 minutes of game footage in a 10 minute video and barely making fun of said footage, heck even talking about the damn game is obviously the best one yet though. Because reasons.
I liked it, but it had barely to do with the game at hand.

cuate

Banned
Would have liked to see more reactions to the actual game.

you haven't played the game, and are not informed about it. STFU.

I'm not even sure you could waggle your way past the first level of difficulty. You certainly couldn't do it against anyone that has the fainest idea what they're doing.

Is your post coming from a place of complete ignorance, or are you trying to be sarcastic?

Total bullshit. Why are you talking about something you have no idea about with such authority? Seriously, why do people do this!? And expect to get away with it too.

I always enjoy these.

However, I think Japanese companies have asked Conan to lay off the Percy comments about certain female characters and are more strict about the final cut than American companies.

Square, especially, seems like they asked him not to get pervy in FF after his Tomb Raider review.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I always enjoy these.

However, I think Japanese companies have asked Conan to lay off the Percy comments about certain female characters and are more strict about the final cut than American companies.

Square, especially, seems like they asked him not to get pervy in FF after his Tomb Raider review.

The game companies don't have much say at all in the segments. They pay a lot for them but Conan has creative control. That's part of the deal. At best the game company can choose to show parts of the game they don't think will result in commentary they don't like, but there are no guarantees.

Alx

Can't believe people expect CONAN O'BRIEN to do an actual game review.

I miss the original nonsense scores he gave in the original videos. "So if *blows raspberry* is good, *tap dances* is bad and *moonwalks* is average, I give this game *snaps fingers three times and slaps elbows*"

Nightbird

You seem to be new to fighting games in general, do you?

Top Bottom