• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Flynn and Cohen subpoenas issued by House Intel Committee

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/31/politics/house-russia-investigators-subpoena-flynn-cohen/index.html

Washington (CNN)The House intelligence committee issued subpoenas Wednesday to former national security adviser Michael Flynn and President Donald Trump's personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, as part of the probe into Russian activity during the 2016 election.

The subpoenas, the first from the House panel, seek their testimony, as well as documents from their businesses.

The subpoenas come a day after Cohen said he would not cooperate with congressional investigators and amid turmoil inside the House investigation itself, as lawmakers wrangle with the role of House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes, R-California, in the probe.

Make me plead the fif if old.

ascii42

Flynn already said he wouldn't honor them, because apparently those House subpoenas are toothless.

From the article
A source close to Flynn said Tuesday that the former national security adviser would comply with a series of Senate subpoenas issued for documents from Flynn and his businesses
Granted, that's Senate and not House, but I'd figure he'd comply with both if he complies with either.

Flynn already said he wouldn't honor them, because apparently those House subpoenas are toothless.

There was additional infor that following week that they could just get the documents from his business without him. After that he seemed to think complying was a good idea.

Is there really any point at this stage?

It's been almost a year since the allegations were first made.

Surely there's ample time for a mega time lawyer and well respected/connected general to cover up all their shit in that amount of time?

It just seems to be dragging out forever, which only benefits ant wrong doers.

Surely there's ample time for a mega time lawyer and well respected/connected general to cover up all their shit in that amount of time?

Yea, better to just forget about it.

ascii42

Possibly, but covering up a crime comes with it's own problems if it can be proven. See: Watergate

theWB27

This sounds reasonable.

There is a point to this. It cuts to the heart of our ability to trust in our democracy. This investigation needs to reach a credible end (whatever the conclusion may be) so that we can move on.

Cover ups are illegal and covering up a cover up is very, very hard to do.

This isn't dragging out, if anything things are moving too fast. Historically speaking, this is moving at Ludicrous Speed.

Flynn was working for two foreign powers influencing aspects of American government. I'm really not sure how smart he really is, to be honest.

Burr doesn't seem like a toothless hack, so I'm assuming his threats of contempt carry more weight than any possible threat a Nunes committee would bring.

EDIT: Also ... Flynn only agreed to deliver documents to the Senate, and even then it didn't seem like all of them.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Is there a prize for this shit? Is this a gaf gold ARG I never got invited to?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think they're toothless exactly. I think they can't do anything about pleading the fifth, which is why there was some thought Flynn wouldn't comply with anything, but apparently they can go after his business where the fifth can't be plead.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Trying to delete things or make them go away is going to be easier to catch someone on and put them in jail for than the original crime.

My guess is these IC leaks are designed to make people fail to provide documentation that the FBI already has and show a crime was committed by destroying them. And then using that crime to get them to flip upstairs on the collusion charges.

Tovarisc

8uTO2E2.png

https://twitter.com/tomlobianco/status/870040576456085504

Why Nunes is part of these probes anymore? Didn't he have some serious conflicts of interest, or something?

I thought he stepped down from the committee as well?

It's a very under reported story. He didn't step down and he didn't even recuse himself, he only said he would "temporarily step aside". The media bought it as a recusal and now Nunes can just kinda lurk without anyone questioning him.

He supposedly recused himself last month from the investigation and Conaway took his spot as chair. Apparently Republicans have their own definition of the word "recuse"

Go back and look at his statement. He never used the word "recuse" pretty cool trick, huh?

It's a very under reported story. He didn't step down and he didn't even recuse himself, he only said he would "temporarily step aside". The media bought it as a recusal and now Nunes can just kinda lurk without anyone questioning him.

Go back and look at his statement. He never used the word "recuse" pretty cool trick, huh?

Ah, I see. That is pretty sneaky then. I hope that gets more exposure soon with this move then.

KHarvey16

Dragging out forever? Lol. This is happening really fast for what it is.

IrishNinja

what a time to be alive

cameron

WSJ: "House Intelligence Panel Issues Seven Subpoenas as Russia Probe Ramps Up"

Four for the Russia investigation:
The four subpoenas related to the Russia investigation are aimed at Mr. Flynn and his business Flynn Intel Group LLC, as well as Mr. Cohen, a former Trump Organization attorney, and his law firm. “If subpoenaed, I will work with my lawyers to cooperate with the various investigations,” Mr. Cohen said. An attorney for Mr. Flynn didn’t respond to a request for comment.
Three for Nune's unmasking shit, targeting Susan Rice, John Brennan and Samantha Power:
The House investigation suffered a setback when its Republican chairman Devin Nunes was forced to step aside in April after an ethics complaint was filed over his handling of classified materials. Mr. Nunes remains the chairman of the committee but recused himself from the Russia inquiry.

Mr. Nunes signed all seven subpoenas despite his recusal, according to people familiar with the matter. A GOP congressional aide said that the unmasking investigation was now considered separate from the Russia probe, allowing Mr. Nunes to act on his own authority even while recused.

Democrats on the committee criticized the move, saying they didn’t consent to the unmasking subpoenas. “This action would have been taken without the minority’s agreement. Any prior requests for information would have been undertaken without the minority’s knowledge,” said a senior Democratic committee aide.

Democrats are seeking an aggressive probe of Mr. Trump and his associates, including questions about whether they had any contact with Russian agents.

Republicans on the committee are pushing for an investigation of how the names of Trump campaign officials became exposed in classified intelligence reports based off intelligence community intercepts, as well as questions about how classified information about Mr. Trump’s associates was given to the media.

Mr. Nunes first raised the issue of unmasking in March based on information he received from the White House.
The most recent subpoenas to the intelligence agencies seek information on any requests made by former national security adviser Susan Rice, former CIA Director John Brennan and former United Nations Ambassador Samantha Power for names to be unmasked in classified material. The three didn’t personally receive subpoenas, the people familiar with the matter said.

Mr. Brennan, Ms. Rice and Ms. Power didn’t respond to requests for comment. Ms. Rice in April told CNN she never did anything “untoward” with intelligence collected on American citizens, including Trump aides working on the transition.

Ms. Power hasn’t previously been reported as a potential witness in the probe so her inclusion in the subpoenas may mean Republicans are broadening their areas of investigation.

People seem to think that Flynn is already collaborating with the investigation because everything and everyone being invastigated happens to be around Flynn so maybe he got his deal " testimony for immunity "

tbm24

Trump's lawyers are easily terrible at their job or robbing Trump blind because they keep allowing the fucker to tweet.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Where the fuck is our media covering this shit? If a democrat did this it would be the media apocalypse. The GOP is basically an enemy against my country. How the fuck is Nunes still operating under the radar? Why doesnt anyone seem to care?

Intelligence community, i hope to god you act soon.

Chumly

Nunes is such a corrupt piece of shit. If democrats get back the house they better open up an investigation into nunes himself

cameron

Youtube Video: "Rep. Schiff on MSNBC: Subpoenas Issued by Chairman in Violation of Recusal"
On Thursday, June 1, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) joined Andrea Mitchell on MSNBC to discuss the House Intelligence Committee's subpoenas issued on a bipartisan basis for Michael Cohen and Michael Flynn, as well as the Chairman's decision to unilaterally issue other partisan subpoenas on "unmasking."

An excerpt about Nunes (it's up to Paul Ryan to care) :
"I think ultimately the question is for the Speaker of the House. He has only designated one committee to be doing this investigation and is this conduct that the speaker approves of it's ultimately his call."
"If the speaker wants to allow this kind of thing to go on that's really up to him and I think he'll ultimately be held accountable for how this is conducted."

Zornack

Nunes colluded with the White House in order to further Trump's lie about Obama wiretapping him and no one ever talks about either.

Why are Democrats so fucking spineless.

Nunes colluded with the White House in order to further Trump's lie about Obama wiretapping him and no one ever talks about either.

You realize you posted this literally after a news post about a Democrat calling Nunes out on what he just did, right?

And literally, that was a huge thing when it first happened. What are you talking about?

Sephzilla

I wish Nunes got a bit more grilled on this. I feel like he got off a little easy

Nunes looked dirty as fuck after that first public hearing where he basically straight up asked Comey "what do I have to do in order to not get investigated?"

Zornack

You realize you posted this literally after a news post about a Democrat calling Nunes out on what he just did, right?

And literally, that was a huge thing when it first happened. What are you talking about?

It was a huge thing, then what? Republicans believe they're fighting for God and babies and liberty and they act like it. Democrats pout for a day then forget about it while the people they're supposedly fighting for have their lives ruined. This party is dysfunctional.

theWB27

Again with this.

Why do people keep calling out the party with no power instead of the ones with the power who are actually doing this?

There's no logical reason democrats should be blamed for the fuckery going on right now.

It was a huge thing, then what? Republicans believe they're fighting for God and babies and liberty and they act like it. Democrats pout for a day then forget about it while the people they're supposedly fighting for have their lives ruined. This party is dysfunctional.

Nunes recused, or seemed to, so what else was there to do at that point? And the Schiff just called this out as a post literally two posts up for you own shows. I mean...?

Zornack

Nunes recused, or seemed to, so what else was there to do at that point? And the Schiff just called this out as a post literally two posts up for you own shows. I mean...?

Good on Schiff, what about the rest of the party? Where's their messaging? Why is their prevailing message to wait and see where the investigation goes? Republicans didn't wait for their investigation to move forward before blasting Hillary.

Republicans had no power after 08 but that didn't stop them from making every little thing the Democrats did look like an attack against the constitution and look where it got them.

Good on Schiff, what about the rest of the party? Where's their messaging? Why is their prevailing message to wait and see where the investigation goes? Republicans didn't wait for their investigation to move forward before blasting Hillary.

Republicans had no power after 08 but that didn't stop them from making every little thing the Democrats did look like an attack against the constitution and look where it got them.

The prevailing message has been to have special and independent investigations to get to the truth, as well as holding people responsible when they should be held so, as made evident many times over the course of several months by calls for recusals, impeachment and resignations, but you know, I guess it doesn't meet whatever standard you have.

Top Bottom