• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: How Android beat the iPhone to world domination

dl77

Based on Google’s goals they’ve achieved them. I own an iPhone but it’s pretty interesting how successful google has been by being the anti apple.

Surely though that just proves the article headline as ridiculous even more? Google have succeeded in what they want, which isn't what Apple want.

This article makes me think back to the iPhone 5c.
Did they discontinue that product line because it was meant to battle the mid tier Android phones.

I know we likely have zero numbers but that bet didn't seem to largely come off for Apple.
It was a good strategic move but maybe it was still too expensive for mid-tier?

kiguel182

OléGunner;242142873 said:
This article makes me think back to the iPhone 5c.
Did they discontinue that product line because it was meant to battle the mid tier Android phones.

I know we likely have zero numbers but that bet didn't seem to largely come off for Apple.
It was a good strategic move but maybe it was still too expensive for mid-tier?

They changed their approach. Now they have the SE and they discount previous years model. The 5c looked cheap and it wasn't that cheaper so I guess it didn't work out.

Honestly, I think Google Pixel blows the Iphone out of the water in terms of tech

But again, Apple had so many phones and certainly make more money on their phone

Not Pixel. A galaxy flagship
Usually has more tech than ever
every other phone usually. They were doing waterproof phone with SD card headphones jack and removable batteries in 2014.

They changed their approach. Now they have the SE and they discount previous years model. The 5c looked cheap and it wasn't that cheaper so I guess it didn't work out.

Oh yeah thanks for that reminder I forgot the SE exists!
Still very pricey at a base of $399.

RSP

Apple is not in the business of selling cheap hardware.

Google is barely in the business of selling hardware at all.

Blastoise

Banned
At least 20-30% profit on each item is all AAPL cares about.

I don't blame them from a business point of view. I just hope they're using their cash hord for the next big thing.

The answer to this is really not that difficult: There are far more companies producing Android products and at far lower cost than even Apple's lowest end device. That's it. There is no rocket science to this at all.

Emerging markets can go pick up an Android phone for $50, pop in a sim and be on their way. Android phone companies, like Nokia, also make multi-sim devices which matter in some markets.

kiguel182

OléGunner;242143383 said:

According to wiki the 5C was 549 which means they made a cheap looking phone that had a premium cost. Bad idea overall.

At least a year old model still looks premium.

What software do you use on android that isn’t available on iOS? What is “open” on it that benefits you positively?

The public transportation service in Helsinki, Finland has an Android exclusive app that uses NFC to read their card and tells you how much credit is left on it. It's Android exclusive because Apple does not allow the iPhone's NFC to be used by third party app developers.

In addition, Humble Bundle has cheap mobile game bundles that can't be given away on iOS because it's Apple's app store only over there.

Dunlop

I think the average person just wants a cheap phone that can text, Facebook, tweet, play a few games, and call 911 if they're being chased by the boogie man. It's not surprising Android rules the world.

pretty much

I came to this realization when I smashed my high end smartphone (fell face first onto concrete). I needed a phone quickly so picked up a $200 Acer Zest Plus from Costco

...and I can literally do everything I was previously doing without noticing a difference in performance.

I commute over an hour each day to work by train so my phone is used a lot for the apps you mentioned above on top of connecting to work via Citrix or VmWare Horizon.

I was actually going to start a thread a while back about why exactly do we go out and by the latest phones when there is such a small return on such a large investment.

OléGunner;242143383 said:

You can get an iPhone se around 120-150 during black friday. I got one just for my Osmo Mobile. Nobody wants apple's low end stuff. It's like Mercedes B class.

pretty much

I came to this realization when I smashed my high end smartphone (fell face first onto concrete). I needed a phone quickly so picked up a $200 Acer Zest Plus from Costco

...and I can literally do everything I was previously doing without noticing a difference in performance.

I commute over an hour each day to work by train so my phone is used a lot for the apps you mentioned above on top of connecting to work via Citrix or VmWare Horizon.

I was actually going to start a thread a while back about why exactly do we go out and by the latest phones when there is such a small return on such a large investment.

New phones stop offering noticeable performance boost over the previous models around 3 years ago.

Dunlop

New phones stop offering noticeable performance boost over the previous models around 3 years ago.

The brainwashing works, I remember being upset that I would have to "settle" for the 720P screen.

Only to run Netflix and realize who the hell can actually tell the difference for 720p vs 1080p on a 5.5 inch screen lol

fantomena

I had an iPhone 3GS, got bored of iOS and went to Android (Samsing Galaxy) and never looked back.

Being in iOS make sme feel like Im under an authoritarian regime, can only do what Apple wants me to do on the phone.

My familiy have iPads, iPhones 7, MACs so I know exactly how the iOS still is today and it is still boring.

Just puts my thoughts out on smartphones.

Vuze

Because to a lot of people, phones are an accessory and status symbol. According to a study conducted by Bitkom, 63% own a phone that hasn't even been out for a year (88% less than 2 years old). It's pretty crazy (and also extremely harmful for the environment).

You can get an iPhone se around 120-150 during black friday. I got one just for my Osmo Mobile. Nobody wants apple's low end stuff. It's like Mercedes B class.
Crazy price for a phone with such a great cam and chip. They are still selling at a pretty high price here in Germany despite being, well, "entry level".

This looks like a projection ��
This reads like an incredibly vague post.

I mean, if you want a discussion about what I said you're more than welcome to it, however, I don't feel its 'projection' to get the implication that this:

I mean the article basically says Android is for poor ppl. Sick fucking lowkey burn there.

Implies that its a 'sick fucking lowkey burn' to have poor people consume your products. I think that's pompous. If you think that's either an incorrect takeaway or he's right to feel that way then we can have a discussion about that. If not, why bother replying to me?

Seriously
Seriously?

Whats your opinion? How do you feel? Do you agree? Do you disagree? If so why?

Bustanen

8252016103332AM_635_xiaomi_redmi_note_4.jpeg

I recently got my father this - its a Redmi Note 4.

The 2GB Ram/16gb memory costs $130, I got him the 4GB/64gb version that costs $170.

Aside from the camera which is still very serviceable and probably somewhere around iphone 5s/6 quality, everything else is pretty much top notch. The OS is incredibly speedy and the 5.5" screen is gorgeous. The screen is not as bright as the latest iphone, but it is still incredible quality at $170.

I guess many people in the US have plans and get the phone subsidised, but in Australia, there's still significant savings to be had if you buy your phone outright and then sign up to a plan seperately.

The Redmi 4x which is the 5" version starts at $99 and by all accounts is just as good.

After my iphone 6 is on its last legs, I'll probably switch to Android for the first time. The only sad thing is that I'll never get to have an Apple Watch sadly.
This. Xiaomi is the best value brand these days. Semi flagship specs for under $200.
Paying $700-800 for a phone is just stupid.

Ambient80

I mean the article basically says Android is for poor ppl. Sick fucking lowkey burn there.

It’s not ONLY for poorer people, but it’s certainly helpful to have phones for sub-$100 in poorer countries so people can have access to those networks. The Moto E, for example, is on amazon for like $80 and is a perfectly serviceable phone for someone on a very tight budget. If you paid $80 for an iPhone, it’s probably like an iPhone 4 or older with a busted screen that runs like crap.

That’s not a knock on either brand, it’s just the truth of the matter.

Google didn't have to worry about Apple. Apple suck at building low end stuff. Low to mid tier was always going to be a fight between goog and msft.

CNN should have done a piece on how bad Microsoft fail to offer a competitive OEM platform, at epic style.

M’hmm. It’s amazing how badly MS missed the boat on mobile post-iPhone/Android. A shame too, cause Windows Phone has a really neat interface and was very smooth. I used an HTC and a Nokia Lumia phone for a while and the build quality of both was excellent, but there were basically zero apps that I needed, and the ones that were there were buggy garbage most of the time. It also had a knack for resetting my morning alarm which was super fun.

People keep saying they’re gonna release a Surface Phone but that has been rumored for years. I just don’t see that happening now, unless they can make it super cheap AND very good quality. While the Surface brand is usually high quality, being cheap is not something it’s known for.

MilkyJoe

Google has the marketshare but they don't have the same level of control (almost none in China) and Apple makes way more money with the iPhone. There is a reason that Google is going to start making their own chips like Apple has for years.

Apple has the better strategy and makes a better phone overall.

Google pays Apple billions every year to be the default search engine on iOS and Google apps are better on iPhone. What does that say?

yikes

The public transportation service in Helsinki, Finland has an Android exclusive app that uses NFC to read their card and tells you how much credit is left on it. It's Android exclusive because Apple does not allow the iPhone's NFC to be used by third party app developers.

In addition, Humble Bundle has cheap mobile game bundles that can't be given away on iOS because it's Apple's app store only over there.

Yeah but that's not the ecosystem.

When you're talking about open ecosystem you're talking about the stuff you can get that isn't on the Play store. Which is mostly fringe and unimportant.

Apple take well over 80% percent of smartphone profits globally, how is that not dominating the world?!

Because it's not just about profit on hardware sales.

This reads like an incredibly vague post.

I mean, if you want a discussion about what I said you're more than welcome to it, however, I don't feel its 'projection' to get the implication that this:

Implies that its a 'sick fucking lowkey burn' to have poor people consume your products. I think that's pompous. If you think that's either an incorrect takeaway or he's right to feel that way then we can have a discussion about that. If not, why bother replying to me?

Seriously?

Whats your opinion? How do you feel? Do you agree? Do you disagree? If so why?

I was agreeing with ya :)

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
As an Apple fan who doesn't own a significant amount of Apple stock, I nevertheless feel like I'm somehow part of Apple and feel comfort that they're making so much profit and will bring that up as what really matters if someone mentions the success of my enemy phones.

magnetic

Reminds me of the massive jumps in the PC space in the past decades that has slowed down a lot. Now smartphones seem to have reached a similar maturity.

I only bought my new phone because the old one didn't have a SD slot and ran out of space all the time, otherwise I was entirely happy with it.

That statement is not that far off, Android is the most used OS in the world right now.

I agree that it's an exaggerated statement in terms of total revenue, but an 86% market share is pretty fucking dominant. "But there are so many more Android phones!" you'll say, and, yeah, there are, but that's Apple choosing to deliberately only release one super-premium model every year and pretending that anything other than top shelf and top price is worthless electronic waste.

Well yeah, 86% is a lot. Had no idea it was so much.

Of course, Apple makes the phones and the OS. But still, 86%.
And to think 90% of those people would rather have an iPhone. If Apple was smart and would sell them at a reasonable price... But that will never happen.

Well yeah, 86% is a lot. Had no idea it was so much.

Of course, Apple makes the phones and the OS. But still, 86%.
And to think 90% of those people would rather have an iPhone. If Apple was smart and would sell them at a reasonable price... But that will never happen.

What?! Apple tried, multiple times.

I cant' even tag people properly in android's version of instastories = time to get back on the IOS bandwagon. Not sure why but its always jankier on android for me.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
And that's not even true anymore. Today's low end Android phone are are actually rather nice now.

This is so true. A colleague of mine recently bought a BLU Android phone to use as an MP3 player and I was blown away by the quality considering that it cost around $90.

That said, there is still a difference in the user experience between a high end Android phone and a low end one(mostly owing to the screen quality, disk space and RAM).

Apple has 91% of the profit in mobile devices. How is that a domination for Android?

http://fortune.com/2016/02/14/apple-mobile-profit-2015/

Because profit from selling hardware isn't the end all be all?

Pretty sure Google knows that Apple has that segment of the market cornered, which is why they focused on getting Android out into as many people's hands as possible. How much does Apple make from services compared to Google? I doubt it's even a fraction of what Google makes.

Zutroy

Because to a lot of people, phones are an accessory and status symbol. According to a study conducted by Bitkom, 63% own a phone that hasn't even been out for a year (88% less than 2 years old). It's pretty crazy (and also extremely harmful for the environment).
Considering it's a device you have on you everyday, 365 days a year, that you use constantly for communicating, photography, consuming media and many other features, I don't think its so crazy to upgrade it annually if you can afford it and are recycling your old device properly.

Somnid

Different strategies. Android's userbase is due to low cost devices, period. I don't think Apple would give up what they'd done to have that, they have great brand recognition and most of the relevant money in the space, not mention developer support. And even then Google at least keeps leaning harder on Apple's strategies assuming more control of the ecosystem to milk more and more out of their services being installed by default.

cgcg

Not surprised. Android is for people who like some variety, which is majority of the world population. iPhone is for people who likes the same old stale boring phone year after year after zzzzzzzzzzzz

Top Bottom