• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: How Android beat the iPhone to world domination

Vuze

Considering it's a device you have on you everyday, 365 days a year, that you use constantly for communicating, photography, consuming media and many other features, I don't think its so crazy to upgrade it annually if you can afford it and are recycling your old device properly.
I get your point. That's also why I don't mind paying top dollar for a top-of-the-line phone that will last me four years. I'll probably use it more than any other device I own. I just don't get why people upgrade annually anymore aside from the status symbol/accessory aspect.
The leaps were huge in the "early" days of smartphones; not so much in recent years, atleast that's what I feel when looking at past flagships. Though this year atleast brings higher screen-to-body ratios which is very nice.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That sounds like a hollow victory when the money earned is significantly smaller.

Future

I get your point. That's also why I don't mind paying top dollar for a top-of-the-line phone that will last me four years. I'll probably use it more than any other device I own. I just don't get why people upgrade annually anymore aside from the status symbol/accessory aspect.
The leaps were huge in the "early" days of smartphones; not so much in recent years, atleast that's what I feel when looking at past flagships. Though this year atleast brings higher screen-to-body ratios which is very nice.

I can see skipping an annual update, but at least for iPhones, you can feel the changes by the second year. I use the damn phone too much to not update then.

Now I update every year on their annual plan because fuck it.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Jesus Christ on the cross, there are a LOT of people in this thread not reading the article.

Yes, Apple makes the lion's share of profits from mobile hardware.
No, Google doesn't care about that because they are not a hardware company.
No, Apple would not sacrifice their ridiculous margins to get a larger userbase. And Google would not sacrifice userbase so that OEMs can eke out a little more profit on hardware.

M3d10n

Well, the cheapest iPhones cost more than the monthly income of what, 80% of the world population? And they're actually more expensive outside the US (because Apple makes sure they get no less than they do in the US per phone sold no matter what).

Of course it wouldn't be the most used mobile OS: that vacuum would be filled eventually

Nikodemos

This. Xiaomi is the best value brand these days. Semi flagship specs for under $200.
Paying $700-800 for a phone is just stupid.
I don't trust Chinese companies when it comes to OS support. Especially those with their own UI skin (MiUI etc.)

They tend to fall on the "pump and dump" side of manufacturers.

Deepwater

If you frame the conversation as whether one side "wins or lose" you're not going to get far much. Google makes a lot of money w/ OEMS and Apple makes a lot of money with their own software/hardware.

mcfrank

We have a metric with which to judge success in business, its called profit.

Apple-Net-Profit-FY-2000-to-2015.png

google-quarterly-results-profit-gross-revenue_chartbuilder.png

Pretty hard to see where Android has dramatically increased profit, pretty easy to see where the iPhone has for Apple. Pretty easy to see who is winning the smart phone wars.

TimmmV

If you frame the conversation as whether one side "wins or lose" you're not going to get far much. Google makes a lot of money w/ OEMS and Apple makes a lot of money with their own software/hardware.

Yep.

Plus, anyone who takes a look at either Apple or Android and concludes that they are "losing" is clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer

Pretty hard to see where Android has dramatically increased profit, pretty easy to see where the iPhone has for Apple. Pretty easy to see who is winning the smart phone wars.

Not really. All it shows is that Apple is more reliant on the iPhone than Google is on Android. Google is a significantly more diversified business

mcfrank

Not really. All it shows is that Apple is more reliant on the iPhone than Google is on Android. Google is a significantly more diversified business

Not really

goog-revenue-1601.jpg

aapl-revenue-1601.jpg

Google makes a much higher % of its profit from a single source (advertising) than Apple does (iPhone). Apple is more diversified.

wutwutwut

There are other metrics of success too. Like how many people's first device your OS runs on.

I'm happy Google cares about the billions of people that Apple doesn't give a shit about.

TimeKillr

Still don't get why some apps are iPhone only, or release first on the iPhone,

Is there just more money to be made than on Android, despite the lower market share?

This is yes and no.

Typically, on iOS, the revenue per user is a higher, BUT your install base will be WAAAY higher on Android than iOS.

For example, on some games I worked on, we had something like 3x more Android users than iOS users, but only double the revenue on Android.

So in a way, iOS users are worth more, but you typically end up with more Android revenue either way.

Henrar

Just shows how overpriced apple is. That and making sure your hardware is sluggish and crap after a couple of years so you need a new one also explains a lot.

Well, that stopped with the 4S as 5 on iOS10 works fine.

Meanwhile Android OEMs just don't care about updates. Find me one Android phone that launched in the same timeframe iPhone 5 did that still receives updates. There are none.

LosDaddie

Banned
So basically, both Android and iOS are crushing it. That's great news for consumers.

Personally, my family will never own an Android device...at least not one I'll pay for. We're in the Apple ecosystem and I don't see any reason to change. iPads for the kids, one for us, and iPhones for the daughter and us.

Apple has 91% of the profit in mobile devices. How is that a domination for Android?

http://fortune.com/2016/02/14/apple-mobile-profit-2015/

I love how this fact just EATS away at the Android diehards.

mcfrank

So basically, both Android and iOS are crushing it. That's great news for consumers.

Personally, my family will never own an Android device...at least not one I'll pay for. We're in the Apple ecosystem and I don't see any reason to change. iPads for the kids, one for us, and iPhones for the daughter and us.

I love how this fact just EATS away at the Android diehards.

My first and only Android device will be my Tesla.

Vuze

There are other metrics of success too. Like how many people's first device your OS runs on.

I'm happy Google cares about the billions of people that Apple doesn't give a shit about.
Google doesn't give a shit about them but their data. Don't act like Google is some Samaritan kind of corporation lol.

My first and only Android device will be my Tesla.
Didn't know these were running on Android 😳

mcfrank

DO people understand of the concept of marketshare??? Read the FFS

Market share doesn't pay the bills. If Nintendo started selling the switch for a dollar and sold more of them than the PS4, but ran the company into the ground to do it would you say they won the console wars? Of course, not. Google basically makes no money off android and makes all their money off ads.

rambis

Banned

You're directly comparing two entirely different models. You shouldnt.

Google basically licenses Android to everyone and uses it as the trojan horse for its more profitable services like advertising. This would never be reflected in Androids profits.

Meanwhile Apple is basically charging a tax for their name and raking in the dough. Way less actual users and far more volatile a model if they were to ever lose popularity.

TimmmV

Google makes a much higher % of its profit from a single source (advertising) than Apple does (iPhone). Apple is more diversified.

This shows Googles reliance on advertising income, not reliance on Android, or how much of that advertising income is derived from Android vs any of its other products.

You're not really refuting that poster's point there

Market share doesn't pay the bills. If Nintendo started selling the switch for a dollar and sold more of them than the PS4, but ran the company into the ground to do it would you say they won the console wars? Of course, not. Google basically makes no money off android and makes all their money off ads.

The entire point of this thread is that both companies are being very successful at their respective strategies for the market, they're not really competing with each other in the same way that Sony does with MS

Market share is paying the bills for Google - that's exactly what they are targeting. The total profit made on smartphone sales doesn't really matter to them - that would be more a comparison between Apple and Samsung/LG/Sony/whoever

Sure Google has marketshare---not surprising since their devices are available at all price points. Where I live you can get an Android phone, unlocked, for less than $50. Heck, I own 3 Android devices at home but they're never my main device. More like burners and back-ups. If I wanted to get things done, I vastly prefer my iPhone 6S and iPad Air 2 over the Android devices. I've been burned badly by my first smartphone and tablet (both Android) and that left a bitter taste in the mouth. Apple has been a mostly smooth ride throughout. But the more modern mid-range Android offerings offer great features for the price, which make them great as back-ups.

But if I started looking for higher-quality features, I'd have to settle for the Android flagship offerings and at that price point there's hardly any difference with the iPhone in terms of price, so why bother. Oh, and Samsung can go die in a fire.

reKon

Banned

Do you maybe think that Android is used as a vessel for generating a specific type of income?

There is an answer to this question, which you obviously don't seem to understand based off your posts.

Sure Google has marketshare---not surprising since their devices are available at all price points. Where I live you can get an Android phone, unlocked, for less than $50. Heck, I own 3 Android devices at home but they're never my main device. More like burners and back-ups. If I wanted to get things done, I vastly prefer my iPhone 6S and iPad Air 2 over the Android devices. I've been burned badly by my first smartphone and tablet (both Android) and that left a bitter taste in the mouth. Apple has been a mostly smooth ride throughout. But the more modern mid-range Android offerings offer great features for the price, which make them great as back-ups.

But if I started looking for higher-quality features, I'd have to settle for the Android flagship offerings and at that price point there's hardly any difference with the iPhone in terms of price, so why bother. Oh, and Samsung can go die in a fire.

The unlocked Galaxy S7 Edge Int'l version (running on Samsung's own Exynos processor) is probably the most bang for buck phone you can purchase today (even over the S8). I think they go new from anywhere from $400 to $450.

It's simple.

Apple is more profitable because they literally don't share the wealth.

Google does share the wealth, which means much wider coverage worldwide, but at a smaller profit.

Google allows profits for multiple companies within their ecosystem. Apple only allows profits for itself within its ecosystem.

(-Not including stuff like accessories. Talking strictly about OS hardware.)

Kthulhu

Well, that stopped with the 4S as 5 on iOS10 works fine.

Meanwhile Android OEMs just don't care about updates. Find me one Android phone that launched in the same timeframe iPhone 5 did that still receives updates. There are none.

That's the OEMs fault, not Google's.

jm89

Article: Android does X better than IOS
Apple fanboy: But but apple makes more money

Every fucking time.

Android could cure cancer and you would still wouldn't here the end of how apple made more money.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
And yet something like over 85% of mobile profits are from the iPhone. Does it matter that you've got more phones from more manufacturers, when they are getting curbed into the ground by one phone line in profits?

Edit: my point has already been made. Ignore me :(

slit

Google has the marketshare but they don't have the same level of control (almost none in China) and Apple makes way more money with the iPhone. There is a reason that Google is going to start making their own chips like Apple has for years.

Apple has the better strategy and makes a better phone overall.

Google pays Apple billions every year to be the default search engine on iOS and Google apps are better on iPhone. What does that say?

That you don't know what you are talking about since Android has so many devices and flavors in the wild, a blanket statement like that makes no sense.

mcfrank

Do you maybe think that Android is used as a vessel for generating a specific type of income?

There is an answer to this question, which you obviously don't seem to understand based off your posts.

The unlocked Galaxy S7 Edge Int'l version (running on Samsung's own Exynos processor) is probably the most bang for buck phone you can purchase today (even over the S8). I think they go new from anywhere from $400 to $450.

Please show me on their profit chart where Android has driven this income (please keep in mind revenue =/= income). Ill wait while you show your work.

Google doesn't give a shit about them but their data. Don't act like Google is some Samaritan kind of corporation lol.

Didn't know these were running on Android 😳

They all run android now. My CRV dash display runs on android. You can root it, void your warranty and install google map if you want.

rambis

Banned
And yet something like over 85% of mobile profits are from the iPhone. Does it matter that you've got more phones from more manufacturers, when they are getting curbed into the ground by one phone line in profits?

Edit: my point has already been made. Ignore me :(
This point gets made and then the posters usually run off as it gets refuted. Would be nice if someone stuck around.

tanooki27

I don't see why one strategy has to be better than the other. Google's strategy makes far more sense for the type of company they are, whereas Apple is pretty much entirely product based, as opposed to service base, so their strategy works for them.

the product-based strategy advantage becomes pretty apparent when you're sitting there holding a product.

I feel like the Apple vs Android """debate""" is a fantastic case study on how similar products differentiate themselves by targeting different demographics.

I like Iphones, but until they allow 3rd Party open source apps, I will never own one. I am happy with my S7 which is free through my company.

rambis

Banned
Please show me on their profit chart where Android has driven this income (please keep in mind revenue =/= income). Ill wait while you show your work.
Google doesnt release these numbers but its blatantly obvious that they use the data they pull from android devices for their advertising platform. You're folding your arms asking for something that has never existed but I'm missing your point?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

On the flip side, anyone who argues that Nintendo won the 6th generation(GC, PS2, Xbox) because they made the most money out of the three would probably be laughed out of the building.

Heshinsi

This point gets made and then the posters usually run off as it gets refuted. Would be nice if someone stuck around.
I'm still here. I honestly don't see why market share, when you're dealing with multiple different manufacturers and dozens of product lines matter, when collectively they are making far, far less money than Apple.

I've tried android, and the phone I had at the time (Note 3) was the worst phone experience I've ever had. I don't need to do all this advance stuff people like to do with android. So when my day to day phone experience is worse than on my iPhone, then to me, all the freedom and customisation android offers doesn't make up for the experience I'm getting.

TimmmV

On the flip side, anyone who argues that Nintendo won the 6th generation(GC, PS2, Xbox) because they made the most money out of the three would probably be laughed out of the building.

He's missing the point entirely, because Google aren't competing on hardware sales.

I mean he says it himself "Of course, not. Google basically makes no money off android and makes all their money off ads."

I'm still here. I honestly don't see why market share, when you're dealing with multiple different manufacturers and dozens of product lines matter, when collectively they are making far, far less money than Apple.

I've tried android, and the phone I had at the time (Note 3) was the worst phone experience I've ever had. I don't need to do all this advance stuff people like to do with android. So when my day to day phone experience is worse than on my iPhone, then to me, all the freedom and customisation android offers doesn't make up for the experience I'm getting.

And all of that is absolutely fine - get whatever device is better for you

But it isn't the point of the article, and the Apple vs Android fanboyism in this thread is ignoring it.

The end of the article:

The real answer: The smartphone war has worked out pretty well for both.
Google recently hit two billion monthly active Android devices. That helps ensure Google's moneymaking products like Gmail, Google Search and Google Maps dominate on smartphones just as they have on desktops.
Apple, meanwhile, continues to capture nearly all of the smartphone industry's profits by owning more of the high-end market. And it makes far more money from iOS than Google does with Android.
Apple posted sales of about $36 billion in the March quarter from iPhones and iPads. Alphabet, Google's parent company, reported sales of nearly $3.1 billion for the same quarter from its "other revenues" category, which includes its hardware products and the Google Play store.
But Google is not primarily a hardware company. It's an advertising company. And Android does position Google for more mobile ad revenue.
"Apple is trying to sell you phones or tablets," says Nguyen. Google, by comparison, just "wants your attention."

Both companies are doing different things and it's working well for both.

Posts like those by LosDaddie and mcfrank on this page are ignoring the entire point of the article just to engage in a fanboy war which is entirely beside the point

Jesus Christ on the cross, there are a LOT of people in this thread not reading the article.

Yes, Apple makes the lion's share of profits from mobile hardware.
No, Google doesn't care about that because they are not a hardware company.
No, Apple would not sacrifice their ridiculous margins to get a larger userbase. And Google would not sacrifice userbase so that OEMs can eke out a little more profit on hardware.

Wasn’t the point of the Pixel to go after that high end profit?

Heshinsi

He's missing the point entirely, because Google aren't competing on hardware sales.

I mean he says it himself "Of course, not. Google basically makes no money off android and makes all their money off ads."

And all of that is absolutely fine - get whatever device is better for you

But it isn't the point of the article, and the Apple vs Android fanboyism in this thread is ignoring it.

The end of the article:

Both companies are doing different things and it's working well for both.

Posts like those by LosDaddie and mcfrank on this page are ignoring the entire point of the article just to engage in a fanboy war which is entirely beside the point
So when android is referred to by articles like this and individual people, it's more about Google than say Samsung or HTC or LG right? Because of that's the case, it would make sense that both Apple and Google are happy with how things have gone. I've been for the longest time not separating the android phone manufacturers from Google, so when I see things like Sony losing money in mobile, and HTC losing money, and Samsung having their profits shrink, I forget that Google at the end of the day is still pulling in lots of money.

That's actually a pretty attractive price point. Too bad Samsung is dead to me. Every time I try to give them a chance, Samsung phones always bug out on me big time. It's not like I'm using super intensive apps on it either. My carrier had been trying to give me a free Samsung phone and I flat-out told them "not interested if it's a Samsung." I finally relented with an LG Stylus 3. So far so good. We're now using it as our secondary phone.

Maybe I'd have better luck with the S7 Edge, since it's new and all. But I don't need another phone for the moment.

Big Blue

You're missing the entire point of the fucking article.

Ahasverus

Having an iPhone (or Apple product in general) is like living in a Police State. Of course Android would be more attractive to the general masses. The build quality is great and all in the iPhones but it feels really restrictive.

Top Bottom