• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Pope held private meeting with same-sex couple in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/pope-gay-washington/index.html

The day before Pope Francis met anti-gay county clerk Kim Davis in Washington last week, he held a private meeting with a longtime friend from Argentina who has been in a same-sex relationship for 19 years.

Yayo Grassi, an openly gay man, brought his partner, Iwan, as well several other friends to the Vatican Embassy on September 23 for a brief visit with the Pope. A video of the meeting shows Grassi and Francis greeting each other with a warm hug.

In an exclusive interview with CNN, Grassi declined to disclose details about the short visit, but said it was arranged personally by the Pope via email in the weeks ahead of Francis' highly anticipated visit to the United States.

"Three weeks before the trip, he called me on the phone and said he would love to give me a hug," Grassi said.

Grassi said that Pope Francis taught him in literature and psychology classes at Inmaculada Concepcion high school in Flores, Argentina, from 1964-1965.

Grassi said the Pope has long known that he is gay, but has never condemned his sexuality or his same-sex relationship. Grassi said he and Iwan (he declined to disclose his last name due to privacy concerns) also met Francis last year in Rome.

"He has never been judgmental," Grassi said. "He has never said anything negative."

"Obviously he is the pastor of the church and he has to follow the church's teachings," Grassi added. "But as a human being he understands all kinds of situations, and he is open to all kinds of people, including those with different sexual characteristics."

Grassi said he believes the Pope was "misled" into meeting with Davis, who served six days in a Kentucky jail for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Platy

Sad that the world takes a lot of consideration about how a single old virgin thinks about marriage =P

Ensirius

This pope is making the Catholic Church look great.

On the other hand he is still against gay marriage, using condoms and sex outside marriage.

zeemumu

GAF never has and most likely never will understand the concept of neutrality, or not hating one side to like the other.

marrec

Banned
Maybe people will finally admit that this pope doesn't have a political or religious agenda other than "hugging people, giving them rosaries, and telling them to be strong and pray".

FuuRe

The pope reflects his vision of Jesus, a man unable to hate on anyone.

He is just unable to comply with gay marriage, and that doesn't make him anti gay

Jasoneyu

What has the pope done to have people view him in a negative light?

He was with Kim Davis with a bunch of other people. People on Kim's side indicated that he personally praised Kim for her actions when in fact she was just simply there.

Davis' lawyer, Mat Staver, had said the audience lasted 10 minutes and was just between the Pope, his client and her husband. Lombardi disputed that account, saying "several dozen" people were present at the Vatican Embassy during the meeting.

"Such brief greetings occur on all papal visits and are due to the Pope's characteristic kindness and availability. The only real audience granted by the pope at the nunciature (embassy) was with one of his former students and his family," Lombardi said.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/kim-davis-pope/

The pope reflects his vision of Jesus, a man unable to hate on anyone.

He is just unable to comply with gay marriage, and that doesn't make him anti gay

I wonder what his stance is on same sex married couples receiving the same rights and benefits as opposite sex married couples. What those thoughts are on them raising children, too.

GAF never has and most likely never will understand the concept of neutrality, or not hating one side to like the other.

MtZ9N.gif

zeemumu

Love the sinner, hate the sin? I guess we can apply that back towards him as well. Gotta take allies on other issues wherever you can.

You don't have to hate someone if you don't personally agree with what they are doing (unless it's something drastic, obviously). He's the Pope so it's no real surprise if his stances correspond with those of the church. But he's not spitting on every gay person that he passes so the world that was raised on "murder you if you're different" can't comprehend it. This is why we can't have Half Life 3.

Crud

Banned
We have to stop looking for one person to change hearts and minds. It's going to take more than just the Pope.

JDSN

Banned
Can we just not have Pope thread for a while? Its obvious that a big number of people here are not ready to comment about something they dont understand so its just mostly a bunch of fedora outrage shit and weird popgaf gifs.

Pope:

*hugs a gun, gives it a rosary, tells it to pray and be strong*

"Fuck tipping though for real"

You posts always make me smile.

On a lighter note the Pope is an amazing person that happens to be the head of a church learning to find it's way in modern society. I respect him as an individual greatly and can only hope other world leaders will be more comfortable being people as well as politicians.

JCizzle

This pope is making the Catholic Church look great.

On the other hand he is still against gay marriage, using condoms and sex outside marriage.
It takes a super long time to change organizations like this, so it's good that he's starting the discussion and getting things on the table. People expecting immediate changes from the church on a lot of these issues are being unrealistic in my opinion.

User1608

Banned
Fuck it, I'm going with the love route that Francis clearly follows. Won't jump the shark next time, even if he clearly disagrees with gay marriage. Can't help but love the guy, a lot more than I can say for the previous two popes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom