• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Pope held private meeting with same-sex couple in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Papal infallibility can only be invoked in very specific circumstances when the Pope is speaking of matters of faith and morals. And off the top of my head there have only been an handful of infallible teachings made by popes over the last 2,000 years.
Yeah, the pope should do something about that. Maybe more than a handful.

remist

"May be more progressive than the last couple"?

The last pope had a semi-public refuge for a known world-wide pedophile ring.

Look- Nobody here is saying that the pope is perfect, but you have to take progress in steps and try and keep the ball rolling. It's childish and unrealistic to go all-or-nothing in some vindictive hissy fit because progressive reformation is not happening fast enough. It is going massively in the right direction.

Lets keep the positive ball rolling and celebrate it going in the right direction instead of underplaying it by focusing on the pieces still missing because it is not going fast enough. Nobody is getting off the hook, but the alternative of throwing a hissy-fit or being a debbie downer is not gonna do any good. It's just going to widen the gap between the religious and the non-religious camps.

Or we could keep voicing our disapproval so that there is pressure on the pope to adapt to modernity. "Keeping the positive ball rolling" is a recipe for status quo.

Kinsei

Banned
It's not like that at all. This entire line of thinking ignores the real connection between faith, culture, politics, structures, communal living, sexuality, and historical context. Plus, you're ignoring the compassion and love this man shows towards people. Seems flippant, unnecessary, and rash to label him so easily.

He met with this couple; his actions speak louder than your words.

Also - when you choose to define your existence by a particular part of your being instead of viewing yourself as a holistic being, the tendency grows to label others who disagree with that singular aspect of your being. It does a disservice to both the named and the namer.

His supposed kindness doesn't matter. Besides believing people shouldn't have equal rights doesn't strike me as very kind.

I don't think claiming that someone that doesn't want gay people to have equal rights a homophobe is defining my existence by one particular part of myself.

Will you stop pulling strawmen? Please. That's not the same thing at all and you know it.

How is it not? The hypothetical person in my post doesn't go on hateful rants about women, attack them, refuse to be kind to them, etc, but is still clearly sexist, just like the Pope in regards to gay people. Is it the whole religion thing? That doesn't matter.

The Adder

Banned
I can't tell if this is meant to be serious or not.

Replace people that hate homosexuals (homophobes) with racist and homosexuals with the race of your choice and see how you feel.

Stop fucking dragging racism out every fucking time you want to make your point sound more important. Those of us actually dealing with that shit don't fucking appreciate it

Secondly, if someone doesn't agree with something you're doing and does not throw their support behind it, but also does nothing to actively impede progress in your efforts, that doesn't make them "anti-" something. It makes them neutral. And at times being neutral can be almost as destructive as being against something, occasionally even more so, but it's still not being "anti-" that thing. And it's a damn sight better than being "pro-" something and never actually doing anything to help the cause.

And he should personally celebrate every gay weddings in the Sistine Chapel, nothing less is acceptable.
Nah, that has nothing to do with this discussion.

He's the head of the Catholic church. Don't whine and say that he should go to every gay wedding so you can ignore that he's the leader of a bigoted organization.

I can't tell if this is meant to be serious or not.

Replace people that hate homosexuals (homophobes) with racist and homosexuals with the race of your choice and see how you feel.
It is actually disconcerting that my statement can be taken as genuine. I agree with you, I was just expressing my distain at the Pope's neutrality regarding a human rights issue with sarcasm.

Kinsei

Banned
Stop fucking dragging racism out every fucking time you want to make your point sound more important. Those of us actually dealing with that shit don't fucking appreciate it

Secondly, if someone doesn't agree with something you're doing and does not throw their support behind it, but also does nothing to actively impede progress in your efforts, that doesn't make them "anti-" something. It makes them neutral. And at times being neutral can be almost as destructive as being against something, occasionally even more so, but it's still not being "anti-" that thing. And it's a damn sight better than being "pro-" something and never actually doing anything to help the cause.

I'm sorry about the race thing. It's an easy way of trying to get someone to see where you're coming from as another minority. That doesn't make it right though so I do sincerely apologize.

That said where the fuck do you get off by trying to imply that I've never done anything to help the cause? You don't know jack shit about my personal life.

The Adder

Banned
That said where the fuck do you get off by trying to imply that I've never done anything to help the cause? You don't know jack shit about my personal life.

I didn't state you'd never done anything. I implied that your ire is better directed to your own backyard at the "allies" who never do shit to help as opposed to the "opposition" doing little to harm.

MJPIA

I was skimming through articles posted after this CNN article and while it doesn't have much new it mentioned something that I found interesting involving catholic terminology.
http://m.sfgate.com/news/world/article/Vatican-Pope-s-visit-with-Davis-not-a-form-of-6545024.phpA Vatican assistant spokesman, the Rev. Thomas Rosica, confirmed that the former student was indeed Grassi.

An audience differs from a meeting in that it is a planned, somewhat formal affair. Popes have audiences with heads of state. They have meetings and greeting sessions with benefactors or Catholic VIPs. So the fact that Lombardi described Grassi's encounter as the only "real audience" in Washington made clear that Francis wanted to emphasize that encounter over Davis' "brief meeting" with several dozen other people invited to the embassy at the same time.

Kinsei

Banned
I didn't state you'd never done anything. I implied that your ire is better directed to your own backyard at the "allies" who never do shit to help as opposed to the "opposition" doing little to harm.

Then I apologize for my outburst.

I direct plenty of ire towards those people, as well as "allies" that only seem to be "allies" when it benefits them.

Gold_Loot

Nah, that has nothing to do with this discussion.

He's the head of the Catholic church. Don't whine and say that he should go to every gay wedding so you can ignore that he's the leader of a bigoted organization.
Calm down sir. Turn the other cheek and what not.

Ensirius

Love the sinner, hate the sin? I guess we can apply that back towards him as well. Gotta take allies on other issues wherever you can.

It takes a super long time to change organizations like this, so it's good that he's starting the discussion and getting things on the table. People expecting immediate changes from the church on a lot of these issues are being unrealistic in my opinion.

I agree with both of you.

Problem is, the catholic church is one of the most influential organisations in the western world, keeping us from making progress.

We all want them on board, but they are not, they deserved to be shunned.

The Adder

Banned
Then I apologize for my outburst.

I direct plenty of ire towards those people, as well as "allies" that only seem to be "allies" when it benefits them.

Just saying. Been watching this idiotic political game of things that should neither be political nor a game play out my entire life. An inactive enemy is better than an inactive ally. You don't really want to spur them into action, because odds are they'll start acting against you.

The pope meeting life long friend that is gay is a hollow gesture? The pope, from the Vatican, this isn't breakthrough?

This is a tricky situation. Let's compare him to a politician. Let's say a politician says something race related and does the "I've got a black friend card", would he be given the same pass? Probably not. The Pope is in a position of great influence, and through the Church's policies (probably zero he created) it's caused great misery and despair for certain people (a big chunk being homosexuals). I don't think it's wrong to assume he probably has some prejudiced views that are being filtered through PR. It's hard to not assume that because he's never actually come out in full support or wanting to have things change.

rhandino

Banned
GAF fascination for the Pope, how he acts and how in the world can he reunite with bigots 1 day and gay couples the other amuse me to no end...

"May be more progressive than the last couple"?

The last pope had a semi-public refuge for a known world-wide pedophile ring.

Look- Nobody here is saying that the pope is perfect, but you have to take progress in steps and try and keep the ball rolling. It's childish and unrealistic to go all-or-nothing in some vindictive hissy fit because progressive reformation is not happening fast enough. It is going massively in the right direction.

Lets keep the positive ball rolling and celebrate it going in the right direction instead of underplaying it by focusing on the pieces still missing because it is not going fast enough. Nobody is getting off the hook, but the alternative of throwing a hissy-fit or being a debbie downer is not gonna do any good. It's just going to widen the gap between the religious and the non-religious camps.

Youre not gay are you? Should any marginalized group ever feel good about less than full equality? I would hope not. Your language of vindictive hissy fit is offensive and insulting.

Empty

it's more interesting that someone in the us catholic church tried to fuck over pope francis (who doesn't give a shit about the specific american culture war villain of the week) by setting him up with someone it's bad optics to be seen with, undermining his political agenda (even if he agrees with her) and now the vatican is spinning their way out of it by getting this story reported.

remist

Fucking. Stop.

Bigotry against homosexuals and racism are not dissimilar prejudices. I don't see any good reason for you to be policing analogies between the two. If you disagree with the analogy explain the faulty reasoning instead of telling people to "fucking stop"
You can't possibly speak for all people dealing with racism.

Or we could keep voicing our disapproval so that there is pressure on the pope to adapt to modernity. "Keeping the positive ball rolling" is a recipe for status quo.

I disagree. No amount of pressure on religious people had helped strongly religious people in the first or third world moderate their views. It doesn't work that. hostility breads hostility and pushback. This is a stupid strategy that has proven not to work. To make progress you have to acknowledge the other camp, and help them, see the errors of their ways, particularly through by example - Not by giving them more fire to not want to moderate.

Youre not gay are you? Should any marginalized group ever feel good about less than full equality? I would hope not. Your language of vindictive hissy fit is offensive and insulting.

Nobody is getting off the hook, but progress takes time, and pushing too hard can cause trouble and steps back. So cut out the crazy extremist rhetoric. It will come if the vindictive progress left can put down their revengeful verbal pitchforks and acknowledge the steps being taken are going in the right direction.

Saying that is not being dismissive of that it's not enough but it is important steps in the right direction. So please cut out the all or nothing sthick.

Change of "policies" it's not really something that catholic people expect from him.

Catholic people aren't the only ones affected by religious policy. The Church's influence is massive. Wanting a religion to be more accepting and progressive is something every one should want.

Then challenge my analogy or statement. Telling me to "Fucking. Stop." is pointless and will only net you, well, nothing.

Nobody is getting off the hook, but progress takes time, and pushing too hard can cause trouble and steps back. So cut out the crazy extremist rhetoric. It will come if the vindictive progress left can put down their revengeful verbal pitchforks and acknowledge the steps being taken are going in the right direction.

Saying that is not being dismissive of that it's not enough but it is important steps in the right direction. So please cut out the all or nothing sthick.
You don't have to go all in and ask for reforms immediately, but at least be vocal about wanting these reforms is a good start. This is progress. Talking is talking. The Pope being nice to people isn't going to change the Church's stance on homosexuality or the other backwards ideas they have.

I disagree. No amount of pressure on religious people had helped strongly religious people in the first or third world moderate their views. It doesn't work that. hostility breads hostility and pushback. This is a stupid strategy that has proven not to work. To make progress you have to acknowledge the other camp, and help them, see the errors of their ways, particularly through by example - Not by giving them more fire to not want to moderate.

Do you have any examples of when advocating too hard for equality resulted in less equality? Nobody is saying progress is being made in many socities. Can we point to any progress in the church which is used as justification to restrict the freedoms of many minorities?

braves01

Banned
GAF only bows to one pope.

2874965-1166534001-WoGxM.png

Doritos pope.

the pope has fallen

709.png

remist

Do you really think religious people are more liberal these days because they all the sudden have a better understanding of the bible than their predecessors? No they're more liberal because certain beliefs are no longer tenable considering the pressures brought about by modern consensus.

GAF never has and most likely never will understand the concept of neutrality, or not hating one side to like the other.

This is almost definitely true.

I immediately understood the context of his position and figured that his meeting with Davis was just 'Pope doing what Pope does best'.

If Jesus Christ walked among us today (with the presumed characteristics of himself from the Bible), I'd imagine his behavior would be similarly neutral, in the sense that he'd be all-inclusive, and not as one-sided as many people would have assumed that he would be.

The Adder

Banned
Then challenge my analogy or statement. Telling me to "Fucking. Stop." is pointless and will only net you, well, nothing.

Bigotry against homosexuals and racism are not dissimilar prejudices. I don't see any good reason for you to be policing analogies between the two. If you disagree with the analogy explain the faulty reasoning instead of telling people to "fucking stop"

Yeah? No thanks. Been down that road before, all it nets me is a few hours arguing with thick-headed people who only want to associate themselves and their causes with with race and racism when it benefits them.

Spend a few hours scouring NeoGAF and compare how often this analogy is applied in the reverse, then tell me how "not dissimilar" they are.

Yeah? No thanks. Been down that road before, all it nets me is a few hours arguing with thick-headed people who only want to associate themselves and their causes with with race and racism when it benefits them.

Spend a few hours scouring NeoGAF and compare how often this analogy is applied in the reverse, then tell me how "not dissimilar" they are.

Put me on ignore, then. Telling me to stop without saying why won't do anything. It makes you look bad.

The hope by non-traditional Catholics, via Pope Francis, is for a synod to declare a Catholic Schism.

-for the Catholic Church to either overturn the existing religious doctrine concerning Gay people and Gay marriage - or- for the church to separate into two official Catholic sects, while still being pious to the Holy Trinity and accepting the Pope as their leader.

Maintaining the Catholic designation would allow the non-traditional Catholic churches to receive funding from their Archdiocese and share donations with the traditional Catholic Churches. They would also maintain their secular, tax exemption status in countries, like the USA.

That is pretty much the mission, in a nutshell, for non-traditional Catholics and the hope that Pope Francis is as progressive as he appears to be.

That's why Pope Francis is such a big deal and who he meets with and what he says is put under a microscope. He has never made any official declarations about any of this, mind you. But he is certainly in a position to get things rolling in that direction.

And he'd have a TON of support worldwide.

mantidor

The Pope hasn't done anything (unless someone can show me otherwise) to create policy change within the church. His position would be far more believable if he tried to.

He has already called for the opinions of the clergy in female priesthood, homosexuality and divorce. He has indeed started from that, for the first time ever a pope has said divorced people should be accepted back into the church.

People's ignorance shows a lot in these threads, he isn't some sort of dictator that determines what is and what isn't within the doctrine of the church, changes of importance, like female priesthood for instance, are long and complicated and require a bunch of meeting called synods and councils. One who will start this sunday actually.

http://news.yahoo.com/catholic-bishops-set-resume-battle-over-future-family-093125563.html

Of course, tensions and division have arisen, catholics aren't just the Pope.

http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...ivorce.before.popes.synod.on.family/66110.htm

But yes, for the first time in our lifetimes a Pope has addressed these kind of issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom