• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Co-Director of Dishonored: 'Call of Duty makes gamers stupid'

I'd have to argue. Many of my friends are CoD crazy but won't try Portal 2 because it "looks too hard" and they "hate that thinking shit"

erragal

stuminus3 said:
Not really. Music nerds and movie nerds are also wasting their time. It's pretty simple, you grow up and move on. The tastes of someone else are irrelevant, regardless of how objectively inferior their particular tastes are. No sense in yelling at something you can't change.

I don't disagree with you that you shouldn't care TOO much. I'm all about moderation.

The problem is our society/world rewards popularity and not objective quality. It's exaggerated within the games industry especially because making a game with contemporary graphical power requires significant funding for art assets; given some sort of procedural art generation development in the next 40 years it would likely be far less of an issue and tastes could be divergent without impacting the ability for brilliant designers to implement a vision.

H3xum said:
Why are people being so critical over him? He's exactly right.

People that are tailored or favor a game like CoD aren't going to be the people sitting down and seeing a game like Bioshock for what it really is, rather they see it as a mediocre shooter, their frame of reference being the CoD series.

With games like CoD and Gears people don't have to appreciate a story or other variables, because if it's not the instant gratification of shooting someone, then it's not worth it. Perhaps gamer A.D.D. would have represented his argument better than stupid.

How does personal taste make someone "stupid"? Is a shooter fan who only plays games like Half-Life, Deus Ex, or Bioshock stupid because they avoid shooters like Call of Duty, Killzone, Gears, etc etc? Most CoD fans are likely not going to be bothered with playing Bioshock because it is a SP oriented game and CoD is a MP oriented game. Are the many people who bought Bioshock 2 for the SP and completely ignored the MP stupid?

And of course this doesn't even bring into account people who enjoy both. I love CoD and games like Bioshock. Not possible according to this guy. It's one thing to read that type of idiocy on message boards from bitter fans of other shooters/Activision haters. It's another thing entirely to hear it from the director of another shooter.

Nome said:
He must hate Serious Sam.
Serious Sam doesn't take it seriously.

But CoD do so.
It tries to be Shakespeare, in terms of depth. But it just falls as a generic hollywood-esque C rated movie.
The point of the man, is that fans of modern CoD, think that it's "2deep4u". When it's shallow as fuck.

Lime

LiK said:
lol, I guess some of you can't stand popcorn movies cuz they don't make you ponder about the greater meaning in life. Oh please.

I can stand shallow popcorn flicks, but I know they are not quality experiences. They're just mindless entertainment. That's fine and all, but if I measure the experience in terms of good/bad, then I'd obviously call a spade a spade. And that's what most people I assume are doing when they claim that meaningful game is a better* experience than a shallow one?

I mean wouldn't you agree that Taxi Driver is better film than, say, Tranformers?

*Obviously "better" needs a definition, but I think we can assume it's a pretty intuitive concept considering the discussion.

LosDaddie

Banned
:lol
Sounds like a typical whiney GAFer who constantly cries about "dudebro" games. Not surprised to see this dev's comments get so much support here.

The guy should focus on making his game the best in can be, not trying to tear down the top dog, or its fans. Talk about why your game is awesome, not why you think your competition is so damn successful.

Does Super Mario Bros make people stupid too? Easy. Instant gratification. Streamlined. Popular. Damn you Nintendo you created a generation of stupid gamers 25 years ago!

tiff

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
I really don't think that's fair at all. There's nothing wrong with professing to love a game for no other reason that thinking that it's fun as opposed to praising that it really makes you think. There's nothing wrong with enjoying Call of Duty. Where I think the problem -- if you concede that it is a problem -- comes in is when Call of Duty and games like it become so dominant in the marketplace that it becomes a de facto representation of video games as a whole. When one defines the hobby as "playing Call of Duty (clones included)," and that's all it appears the market wants or will support, that's where the problem is.
Haha, by thinking I don't mean pondering real hard philosophy more than just engaging the mind of the player during gameplay. Look in the FPS genre for examples. Crysis isn't exactly Hamlet, but it provides the player with plenty of options, from weapon mods to suit powers to multiple angles to approach just about any target, that are constantly engaging the player in every encounter. CoD's gameplay options are much more limited in comparison, because the game relies on flash and style more than real substantive gameplay.

People like what they like and if you like CoD then more power to you, but on the other hand I'm not going to bite my tongue and refuse to criticize what I see as the basest form of game design.

_Alkaline_ said:
We're talking singleplayer here only, right?

Competitive multiplayer still requires some level of thought and skill from the player if he/she wants to go positive. They'll still get a few kills here and there but it's far from an easy affair.
Yeah, sure. I'd argue that the problem with Call of Duty's multiplayer (MW2 specifically) is unbalanced design choices more than anything.

tiff said:
Yeah, sure. I'd argue that the problem with Call of Duty's multiplayer (MW2 specifically) is unbalanced design choices more than anything.

Agreed. Black Ops was far more balanced, creating a slower and more difficult game. Just a shame it didn't run nearly as well as its predecessor.

This guy is hedging his bets and has a pre-made excuse for his game selling a fraction of a fraction... of a fraction of what CoD sells.

Timber

Colantonio is dan ook totaal niet onder de indruk van de Call of Duty serie.

"Ik ben niet erg onder de indruk van Call of Duty."

Angry Fork said:
I hate when this shit happens. I just don't understand it. GAF has a problem with other people saying what they're thinking or something. They want to be unique and act like their opinion is new so when another dev says it they get insecure and lash out or something. That's the only rationale I can think of.

Not what he was saying, it's more like COD players would be terrible at Dishonored because COD is easy and stupid.

Keep telling yourself that. He's just using the "any press is good press" theory and decided to hate on a game with the largest audience.

I haven't even played BLOPs but I enjoyed 4/MW2 ... it didn't hamper my experience with any other game.

I don't give a shit if he doesn't like COD, that's his opinion. What I do (sort of - enough to post at least) give a shit about is his idea of games without "critical thinking" making people too stupid to enjoy his game. That's just pretentious and idiotic.

Every game out there can be beaten by a 12 year old. I'm sure some 12 year old will be able to tackle the amazing amount of thought and planning and strategery his game is going to throw at him.

"Hrm, nobody is talking about my game, I know! CALL OF DUTY something something STUPID something something"

And it worked, the "critically thinking" masses will flock to it for that brain exercise they need from their gaming after playing dose dumb gamez.

Ninja Scooter said:
Does Super Mario Bros make people stupid too? Easy. Instant gratification. Streamlined. Popular. Damn you Nintendo you created a generation of stupid gamers 25 years ago!
i would not consider SMB1 and SMB3 to be ''easy''

you grew up on them and you know those games inside out but they are not easy!

get a gamer born in the late 90s to play original SMB and SMB3 and watch him die

Timber

there are two tiny out-of-context quotes which the article makes assumptions about, then people make assumptions based on a translation of that article. but by all means keep going.

gutter_trash said:

get a gamer born in the late 90s to play original SMB and SMB3 and watch him die
Super Mario Bros 1 is easy man. The difficulty in later levels is remedied with pattern memorization and timing. Those are basic skills any gamer has. Give a Halo/CoD playing 13 year old SMB1 and he'll have it beat in a couple of hours. Let's not overrate the difficulty here.

erragal

flyinpiranha said:
Keep telling yourself that. He's just using the "any press is good press" theory and decided to hate on a game with the largest audience.

I haven't even played BLOPs but I enjoyed 4/MW2 ... it didn't hamper my experience with any other game.

I don't give a shit if he doesn't like COD, that's his opinion. What I do (sort of - enough to post at least) give a shit about is his idea of games without "critical thinking" making people too stupid to enjoy his game. That's just pretentious and idiotic.

Every game out there can be beaten by a 12 year old. I'm sure some 12 year old will be able to tackle the amazing amount of thought and planning and strategery his game is going to throw at him.

"Hrm, nobody is talking about my game, I know! CALL OF DUTY something something STUPID something something"

And it worked, the "critically thinking" masses will flock to it for that brain exercise they need from their gaming after playing dose dumb gamez.

Maybe you could open up your mind to objectively analyze what he's actually trying to say? You are a smart person, right? Throw out the 'stupid' part (Which could just be a intentionally inflammatory translation)

Is there no validity to the argument that COD games are primarily scripted affairs that do not in any way 'train' the player to approach situations with a vast number of possible solutions and incredible variety of player choice that determines which of those approaches are possible?

Do you disagree that many people (Not all, stop using yourself as the anecdotal example take a broader perspective) can become used to a particular experience and when experiencing something that differs greatly in the expectations of the player will react negatively to it?

VariantX

gutter_trash said:

You could say that about most 80's and early 90's games, they just didn't hold your hand and you were required either to develop sufficient reflexes or you'd be looking at a title screen even after getting halfway through the game.

Hurtin4Certain

Neo Member
hyper-realistic, war-glorifying, military-glorifying first person shooter

It might not be making people stupid, but it sure isn't doing the human race any favors.

COD2 and MW1 were enough for me. I've moved on.

VariantX said:
You could say that about most 80's and early 90's games, they just didn't hold your hand and you were required either to develop sufficient reflexes or you'd be looking at a title screen even after getting halfway through the game.
I decidly quit MW1 on the first tanker stage because my NPC allies were taking out all the tangos for me.. I got angry and turned off the game and never played a COD since because I hate it when a shooter decides that I am being too cautious and forces my NPC allies to kill all enemies

I wouldn't say Bioshock made players think, maybe from the themes present but certainly not the game design. I'm interested in seeing what comes out of Dishonored, I haven't heard much about it other than Harvey Smith working on it which alone has me in hopes of something better than average.

But yeah, CoD is a pretty stupid game in just about all ways. I don't think that's a bad thing on its own though, mindless fun is still good in its own right. However when it starts spreading a primary design approach, then it becomes concerning.

iKeepPlaying said:
But even if you don't. SMB won't take you more than 30 minutes. If you use the warp pipes, it takes... 6 or 7 minutes.

SMB isn't a breeze. I reckon a lot on new players, even on GAF, would struggle with parts of World 8 for sure.

erragal said:
Maybe you could open up your mind to objectively analyze what he's actually trying to say? You are a smart person, right? Throw out the 'stupid' part (Which could just be a intentionally inflammatory translation)

Is there no validity to the argument that COD games are primarily scripted affairs that do not in any way 'train' the player to approach situations with a vast number of possible solutions and incredible variety of player choice that determines which of those approaches are possible?

Do you disagree that many people (Not all, stop using yourself as the anecdotal example take a broader perspective) can become used to a particular experience and when experiencing something that differs greatly in the expectations of the player will react negatively to it?

See, here's the problem ... you are assuming gaming (and all games within) are some complicated medium where if we don't hone our skills on the more difficult games we don't stand a chance.

I'm not arguing what COD is, I'm arguing against his theory of what it makes us.

I mean, do you honestly think Dishonored (or ANY game for that matter) is so difficult where playing Peggle or COD or even a racing game is going to make these decisions so difficult we'll never get past the first level?

Your last paragraph is just obvious. Of course if people aren't enjoying it or it's different from what they like they will react negatively. Expectations are a completely different beast. If he chooses to advertise Dishonored like a shooter-fest then yeah, I hope people react negatively when it's not. But who are these people going into this game expecting it to be COD when nothing has been advertised (for what I've seen) to reinforce this?

I mean honestly, what does the existence of one game hinder in his? Nothing, except competition.

I'm sure you're a smart person, is it too much to have a little faith in the gaming community to the extent where they can actually *gasp* play different games?

The way I read that is that if I enjoy "stupid" games I won't be able to understand his. That's just fucking stupid.

Anteater

ok..
cOHss.jpg

I'll go back to playing my mindless action games :(

I keep thinking Dishonored was made by Rocksteady for some reason :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
gutter_trash said:

haha so true. I got my kids to play Super Mario World and they were frustrated to the point of quitting in about 10 minutes.

bob_arctor said:
haha so true. I got my kids to play Super Mario World and they were frustrated to the point of quitting in about 10 minutes.

My 4 year old (now 6) had my old SNES and he loved SMW, had troubles on certain levels but he did amazingly well and hates that we don't have the SNES hooked up to an old TV now.

In fact, all he plays are Super Mario games on his old GBA SP, along with Zelda and some other games.

tiff

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
SMB isn't a breeze. I reckon a lot on new players, even on GAF, would struggle with parts of World 8 for sure.
I haven't played it in years so maybe it's different now, but I was never able to beat it as a kid. Never struck me as an easy game at all.

ctrayne

The fallout over this is hilarious. I want to play this game even more.
He's making an excellent point in a tactless way. Probably a translation issue. Cut him some slack.

Riposte

tiff said:
Y'know, he really isn't far off, Call of Duty is...

Nevermind.

lol basically my reaction.

EDIT: SMB being beatable isn't a count against it. It "teaches" you quite well and doesn't sacrifice anything essential to tap into flashiness.

EDIT: Basically this dude has no more credibility than a non-particularly bad NeoGAF poster.

Derrick01

Banned
He's 100% right but he ruined his point by pointing out Bioshock as some sort of super complex gamer's game, especially since he used it with Deus Ex in the same sentence.

That doesn't take away from what his point was though. I dare someone to prove that COD hasn't dumbed the entire industry down, from the players to the devs chasing that 10 million mark for every and any game.

And I'm really looking forward to Dishonored. The concept sounds amazing but these aren't the easiest types of games to get right.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I'm also surprised Vanquish hasn't been mentioned yet. That's a game whose commercial failure made me hate everyone that found it too much to handle. It's an irrational hate of course, replete with "You're playing it wrong!!" but at least it's learning curve lends some credence to the inept gamer stereotype.

ctrayne

I'm surprised at some of the reactions in here. Isn't this the same forum that complains about the dudebroization of Mass Effect? What do you think is responsible for that trend?

I don't hate COD. But I have played MW1, WAW and Blops and sometimes the games actually, literally do play themselves. There is almost always a straight line you go down, with no variance between playthroughs. It's fun for what it is, but it's no mental stimulant. It has basic, mass appeal.

I'm talking single-player here, as I am sure he is too, since Dishonored is probably a SP-only game. I think you can argue multiplayer matches can make you a better gamer, but I think that is not his point.

Like I and others have said - decent point, poorly worded (or poorly translated, maybe.)

Riposte

I jumped the gun. Apparently it was the guy writing the English article who listed the other games. The Dishonored dev hasn't really stated his reasoning at all. (The real reason why the article writer listed those two games is that they are not military or space military themed shooters and in his head that means they are smarter.)

Reuenthal

Banned
People who play Call of Duty are not stupid and playing Call of Duty does not make you stupid. Anyone who says otherwise displays immaturity, possible insecurity.

The popularity of Call of Duty has lead other developers into oversaturating the market and changing games into more accessible ones. Which is a bad thing as variety of genres (and even with genres that are not shooter change into something else) and complexity seem to suffer. Although Games are still great, and a lot of those which change based on the most accessible model still manage to be very good games. Or even have some improvements over previous ones. But I would like less oversaturation of the market, more variety and no RPG like the likes of DA2.

Top Bottom