• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M:. Abraham Lincoln Trailer

Im European and I loving every ounce of it.

Please, let something like the Star Spangled Man with a plan from the Captain America movie be in the credits, with all the characters dancing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i574Em3IrI
The game needs to finish like this with Mecha Lincoln in the background!
Star-Spangled-Man-the-first-avenger-captain-america-35059060-1280-528.jpg

Definitely on my must-buy list.

Really wish it was on the Wii-U though. Those jaggies, they burn. Totally does a disservice to the artstyle.

Zubz

Banned
Somewhere in the game the Star-Spangled Banner has to to be played.

I really hope it plays during every fight with the Abe Lincoln mech. I was already sold on this game; it's the only game that makes my Ike and Queequeg fanfiction come true! Nevertheless, now I have to watch it. FOR AMERICA!

Ninja Dom

I'm a bit confused, the whole game is set in London, England. But the President of the USA is coordinating the group?

Still, I loved the demo and I'll buy this upon release.

yoshiunity

7Z18dnC.gif

Sorry, Internet! I can't hear your complaints about this game over the sound of bald eagles, McDonalds and FREEDOM!

This game has without a doubt game one of my most hyped game of the year from the potential alone, and now we throw in giant mech fights into the mix. I freaking love it, man. I'm so glad that I've already have this game pre-order after playing the demo!

And speaking of the demo. Time for my late two cents.

From what I've played, this game definitely feels like a combination between XCOM and Valkyria Chronicles with a few elements of it's own in the mix. The demo provided plenty of maps for me to try out and from what I can tell, it handles all of the Third-Person Shooter Strategy RPG elements very well. Like all the others, where and how you move your characters play a key component to victory as well as managing your resources. And you have a lot of resources to use at your disposal here, but the most important in your arsenal is -- of course -- steam.

The amount of steam you have, and how you use it can really make or break you at the spot. Through all the maps I've played, I've grown to learn that simply using my steam to move far ahead then shoot the nearest alien was not going to work. The aliens all have radically different A.I. and will all approach you in many ways to take you down. While some will act only if you get near them, there are others that prefer to attack from afar. Hell, there's one in particular that just doesn't give a fuck and will attack you at the smallest glimpse of any of your characters. So it's best to be prepared and the game gives you plenty of time to do so.

Before the mission, you are eventually able to prep your team by giving them the equipment they need before the mission starts. Everyone has a main weapon that's irremovable, but you do have to the option to change out sub-weapons to give your team more of an edge and help minimize weaknesses. Now during the actual mission -- again -- how you move your team is key. The maps, depending on how they are design, provided ample opportunity to flank, hide, scout and gain some high-ground. There's no map of the area, leaving you to rely on what your agents are able to see. So if you see a chance that will give you an edge, take it immediately. The aliens will be on you before you know it.

Now, from all I've play from the demo. One thing that stood out to me was the sense of give and take with most of the resources. As you use your steam to move you'll still have that same amount is reserve, which can be replenish if you simply move back to your previous location. However, if you shoot, it will cost you steam. But you already knew that, right? Well, how about this? Whenever it's the Enemy's turn, they close in on you, but if you choose to keep enough steam for their turn, you enter "OverWatch". Which allows you to retaliate to any enemy in your sights, depending on much steam you have saved. Also, throughout the maps are opportunities to refill you health and steam. But while some will allow you to simply refill, others will require you to sacrifice a little to get it.

"Want the health pack? Good! Take it! But you lose all the steam you had in reserve."

"Want to replenish your party's health and steam in full at the save point? Good! Do it! But it will cost you a healthy amount of medals, so I hope you don't need to but any upgrades soon!"

You take all this and combine it with each agent's special ability that helps them move through the field and you have a game that strongly encourages the player to think before they move and shoot.

And not only does it controls great, but it looks great. I know a lot of people aren't too keen to the artstyle of the game, but I find that it looks much better on the 3DS than blown out a computer or TV screen. The characters are interesting and have plenty to say, plus the comic book aesthetic is great as the cutscenes switches from static to motion in every scene; even jumping through panel to panel. Plus the music has an awesome rock score that reminds me of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, A.K.A., my favorite entry in the Advance Wars series. And if the complete soundtrack is anything like that game, it will engage me through mission, hyping me up to whoop all kind of alien ass.

Even though Codenamed S.T.E.A.M. does a great job to introduce you to the mechanics, I do admit that it still took me some time to get to how the game works. But once I found my ground, I found myself replaying all the missions I could just to see how many ways I could beat it. Honestly, if there anything I think Codenamed S.T.E.A.M. will have in spades, it will definitely be replay-value.

March can't come here soon enough. I've already have this game pre-ordered in full and I can't wait to dive into it when it comes out.

Top Bottom