• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. |OT| They made Lincoln Force! Or: "Welcome to Earth!"

Craft

Nobody with a PAL copy yet? What's the deal folks? Excited?

Hoping my copy arrives tomorrow.

Got my copy yesterday but haven't had a chance to play it yet, really should finish up Xenoblade first but I'm hyped to play it.

Anyone on the fence you can get a hard to find Amiibo with the game if you want from the Nintendo store.
http://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-3ds/code-name-steam.list?utm_source=2015May15-Code-Name-Steam&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2015May15-Code-Name-Steam&affil=thgemail

Edit: All gone!

Peff

Really enjoying this so far. Chapter 4 was some really neat stuff, but I'm not sure whether I should be happy to see that Inty Systems still got it or sadder about modern Fire Emblem. Here's hoping to Noir living up to this!

Also goddamn is the multiplayer a wasteland.

TheMoon

steamhypegafayux5.jpg

It's finally here! I feel like this thread is incredibly dead for no real reason. Why aren't any EU players reporting in aside from the 2-3 people that have so far? This is insane!

TheMoon

Okay, this game is amazing.

What were people whining about? I'm having a blast.

It's funny how a lot of reactions panned out like this once they actually got their hands on the full game.

This might just end up being this year's most overhated/overlooked/underrated game. And for no good reason even.

Joqu

I'm buying it soon just to support it but I won't have time to play it any time soon. Doing my part though!

Craft

It's funny how a lot of reactions panned out like this once they actually got their hands on the full game.

This might just end up being this year's most overhated/overlooked/underrated game. And for no good reason even.

Some fans only want to hear musicians play their greatest hits not the new stuff.

Pikma

Banned

I really think it is the most underrated and overlooked 3DS game already

Pikma

Banned
So far most definitely, though the year isn't over so maybe there'll come a game with a worse fate. :D
I really hope not, this one's saddening enough. :(

Can't wait to see people, myself included, asking for STEAM 2 in a few years from now.

TheMoon

I really hope not, this one's saddening enough. :(

Can't wait to hear people, myself included, asking for STEAM 2 in a few years from now.

I really really hope they give this another shot on their next systems where the hardware doesn't actively work against the art style (the box art/official art released shows how great this style looks at proper resolutions) and has a few fans who can spread good word of mouth based on actual time with the game.

THRILLH0

Banned
Sorry Nintendo you fucked up. I played the demo and was hyped for this title months ago. The AU delay not only pissed me off but my interest in this game has just dissipated.

I'm sure I'll pick it up down the line but regional delays in 2015? Really?

i find it sad that nintendo shipped the game in the state only to release a patch a few weeks after release. since the enemy turn waiting was the main criticism for most of the reviews out there I really cannot grasp what the game would have gotten, if it was shipped with the current patch applied.

anyways, I got the game and i am enjoying it.

TheMoon

Sorry Nintendo you fucked up. I played the demo and was hyped for this title months ago. The AU delay not only pissed me off but my interest in this game has just dissipated.

I'm sure I'll pick it up down the line but regional delays in 2015? Really?

There was no "delay" ...North America just simply got it three months earlier for no apparent reason and EVERYONE else got it last week.

I don't see why you're throwing a tantrum over this if you were excited to play this.

Weiss

Banned
So one of the most surprising scenes for me was the introduction of Queequeg with Henry commenting on it being a strange name, only for Queequeg to angrily retort that where he comes from Henry isn't a normal name either, with Henry admitting that "everyone has their normal."

I'm really surprised to see mention of casual racism in a Nintendo game, let alone one that blatantly ignores the deeply ingrained bigoted attitudes of the late 19th century, with a multiracial team of operatives happily working together as trusted comrades.

This game bombed hard, didn't it? Such a shame because it's fucking awesome :(

Agreed. I think they should have hired Mike Mignola and tried to get his design sensibilities into the actual games graphics. Instead they went with a Jack Kirby/mike Mignola esque imitation look that turned people off.

I would love a Codename steam 2 but I doubt we will ever get one now.

Velcro Fly

Got to Chapter 12 and stopped playing.

Need to finish this game. I mostly enjoyed it and want to see the end.

Feel like I should wait until I get Robin/Lucina so I can mess around with the Fire Emblem characters.

TheMoon

How embarrassing is it that I let John Henry die in his first mission which I have probably played three or four times in the demo already lol.

Peltz

I think I might pick this game up. I feel like Intelligent Systems deserves the benefit of the doubt with their track record.

Dalek

Got to Chapter 12 and stopped playing.

Need to finish this game. I mostly enjoyed it and want to see the end.

Feel like I should wait until I get Robin/Lucina so I can mess around with the Fire Emblem characters.

Are those Amiibos being re-released? I was thinking the same thing.

Riposte

For new players who want to get the most out of the game, I suggest the following rule-set:
1. Restart on squad death
2. Don't use any of the checkpoints (for healing or saving)
3. Always collect all three gears.

This will actually reward you more points and save you time on going back and getting gears for unlocks (which are really helpful if you decide to go and play multiplayer).

Dalek

For new players who want to get the most out of the game, I suggest the following rule-set:

This will actually reward you more points and save you time on going back and getting gears for unlocks (which are really helpful if you decide to go and play multiplayer).

I've been doing this but taking lots of turns do I'm losing that bonus.

Riposte

I've been doing this but taking lots of turns do I'm losing that bonus.

It doesn't tell you how many turns you need until you beat it right? I found that a little frustrating, so I didn't bother. Still got the bonus a lot of the time, because I would often restart a mission whenever I felt like I could do it a lot better. Ended up spending a ton of time on a few missions lol.

Dig this game!
Hope it sells a good amount, at least over time and wom.
Having a much easier time of it once I learned to, you know, take it slow. Hell, John Henry was giving me hints all this time about making too much noise running around but I wasn't listening. Slow and stealthy wins this race.
I used that fast-forward update only twice I think, but it went to fast I thought and had no idea what was going on. Bit of a mood killer as well.

I've been playing this for the last few days and I'm really enjoying it despite wishing I was better at it lol. I felt the same way with Valkyria Chronicles, which STEAM is really reminiscent of, and ended up not finishing that game out of sheer frustration at how bad I was at it. I'm hoping that the same doesn't happen here because I'm eager to carry on and see what else the game has in store. From the units I've unlocked so far (on Chapter 6) I like John, Lion and Lily the most, while I haven't really used Tom much at all. I'm still trying out new combinations and getting a feel for each character's weapons.

I'm just beginning the
Graveyard
map and this is interesting to read as I have been utilising the save points whenever I can. I'm not gonna lie, I'm really bad at this game and so the save points have been really handy in certain situations. So what are the benefits of the unlocks from gears? I looked around a bit but couldn't really see what the gear unlocks actually do so I've kinda just been neglecting them if they were out of the way on recent maps.

TheMoon

So what are the benefits of the unlocks from gears? I looked around a bit but couldn't really see what the gear unlocks actually do so I've kinda just been neglecting them if they were out of the way on recent maps.

From OP:

Collectibles: On any given map you can collect Gears and Medals. Medals are useful for save points where you can, well, save and/or revive/heal your team. Medals also unlock access to new weapons. You don't purchase weapons, they simply unlock when a certain amount of medals is collected. Gears, of which every map has three to collect, are what unlock additional boilers for you to customize the team.

Riposte

I'm just beginning the
Graveyard
map and this is interesting to read as I have been utilising the save points whenever I can. I'm not gonna lie, I'm really bad at this game and so the save points have been really handy in certain situations. So what are the benefits of the unlocks from gears? I looked around a bit but couldn't really see what the gear unlocks actually do so I've kinda just been neglecting them if they were out of the way on recent maps.
Gears unlock boilers. The final one, which is easily the best for one or two weights (lightweight has a few good options), requires all of them.

Graveyard is one of the longest missions in the game and using my restrictions it took me the longest or second longest to beat (3 hours or something like that). I overlooked an important fact:
worms won't spawn on you when standing on the stone tiles at the boss fight area. Most my retries were because I lost someone at the end.

I'd jump back in the multiplayer to kick some European ass but I'm completely addicted to Monster Hunter currently and have Devil Survivor 2 to play after that.

I just read through the OP and it was very helpful so thanks for putting that together. I guess I'll make more of an effort to pick up the gears on each map now, even if it means sacrificing the turn count bonus (Which doesn't really matter since I like to take my time anyway.)

Apparently this game only sold 1835 copies in Japan. :(

Wow, that really sucks. It's not surprising but its still a shame to see the numbers that low.

TheMoon

I just read through the OP and it was very helpful so thanks for putting that together. I guess I'll make more of an effort to pick up the gears on each map now, even if it means sacrificing the turn count bonus (Which doesn't really matter since I like to take my time anyway.)

Thanks. The turn count bonus is really more something for repeat playthroughs since that's only when they even show you what it is anyway. Gears should be your priority.

MLH

I feel pretty bad about not buying this now. I've had a lot on my plate and didn't really enjoy the demo so I skipped it.
Seems like a really bad for gamers like myself in the current gaming climate to ignore a game that's like this - seeing the sales numbers and reading the impressions in this thread is tempting me to go out and buy this just to support it.

Edit: Bought it!

TheMoon

I feel pretty bad about not buying this now. I've had a lot on my plate and didn't really enjoy the demo so I skipped it.
Seems like a really bad for gamers like myself in the current gaming climate to ignore a game that's like this - seeing the sales numbers and reading the impressions in this thread is tempting me to go out and buy this just to support it.

Edit: Bought it!

Don't feel bad. If you had other things to worry about then that's how it is. No need to feel bad.

Nevertheless, welcome to S.T.E.A.M. :D

I have the PAL retail but no time for it. Is the patch in already or is it a download?

Download.

I noticed that I only enable the fast-forward for when it's the turn of the stationary enemies hanging out at the goal since they never move. I do prefer to see what the hell the enemy is doing.

Riposte

At least 31k is the bottom of the barrel and not underneath it like those Japanese sales lol. They are not making a sequel, but maybe they'll make a pseudo-sequel with the same mechanics, but different setting/art style (maybe an Advance Wars skin if they aim for the west?). On the other hand, even mechanics turned off a lot of reviewers who were bad at the game. Probably make it much easier like they've done with FE.

TheMoon

At least 31k is the bottom of the barrel and not underneath it like those Japanese sales lol. They are not making a sequel, but maybe they'll make a pseudo-sequel with the same mechanics, but different setting/art style (maybe an Advance Wars skin if they aim for the west?). On the other hand, even mechanics turned off a lot of reviewers who were bad at the game. Probably make it much easier like they've done with FE.

They know their game is good (because they made a good game). The McElroys of this world won't stop them from building on what they created here. They might slap a different visual style, setting and narrative wrapper on it but I'm sure they won't throw this away completely and retreat back to the familiar stuff like AW and FE only.

TheMoon

Damn. Wow. Not really surprising, though. :(

While the sales are undeniably bad in Japan, one has to consider that everything did absolutely terrible this week. The #1 selling game (FFX2HD) did 15k or so... Crazy stuff.

Weiss

Banned
I don't ever want to hear people whine that Nintendo doesn't make new IPs ever again.

I get that the game could stand to be more forgiving; Between constrained movements, limited saves, punishing difficulty, endlessly respawning enemies, no map, no way to know which squad to choose for a particular match until you've died a few times, and few ways to pick yourself up when a fight goes south, it's not really a game you can just pick up and play and it usually takes me at least three attempts before I clear a map. It gets genuinely disheartening when it feels like you're constantly outmatched by enemies tearing into your health on your turn before you have a chance to react, where those little flying bastards stunlock your team and sabotage the entire fight, where you couldn't tell a Prowler was around the corner and suddenly your entire team gets bombed to death.

A few fine tweaks to the game's mechanics, or hell, just an Easy Mode, would go a long way to patching up the game's reputation.

Top Bottom