• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. |OT| They made Lincoln Force! Or: "Welcome to Earth!"

For new players who want to get the most out of the game, I suggest the following rule-set:
1. Restart on squad death
2. Don't use any of the checkpoints (for healing or saving)
3. Always collect all three gears.
That's similar to merciless mode except replace gears with gold coin boxes.

This game is punishing for newcomers but not much trouble for experienced strategy gamers. I was more disappointed that the scoring system could be broken by farming endless reinforcements to 9999 and ignoring squad deaths/turn count.

I have to wonder if Nintendo pushed this as hard as they are Splatoon if it would have done better. Like a dedicated Direct, advertising push for it, just something to make this game out to be a big deal. Its a good game and deserves better than its gotten.

Tillbo

Been playing this and really enjoying it...

It isn't any wonder the sales aren't great though. I picked it up from Game (UK) and they didn't even have it on the shelf. I had to ask and someone got it from out the back!

Craft

There's no button? There doesn't seem to be an update either

You have to update the game first, I think you can force it by going into the E-shop and selecting the 'check for updates' option.
I think the button only appears when the enemy is attacking.

TheBear

You have to update the game first, I think you can force it by going into the E-shop and selecting the 'check for updates' option.
I think the button only appears when the enemy is attacking.

Thanks I had to go through the eshop to get the update.

Cheers

I'm actually really enjoying it so far, it's my current revision distraction. Seems a shame it hasn't done too well, it really could be something they could build upon in the future.

Shizuka

I have this weird thing that when a game sells really bad, I feel like buying it, maybe to know why it did so bad. I still have my own beefs with this game that it's not really proper to discuss here, but I'll download the demo and try it out.

Weiss

Banned
Randolph Carter is so freaking amazing. Unspeakable Lure practically locks down every enemy, to the point where I was able to run past all the Berserkers in 8-1, and his passive skill turned The Fox from a sniper into a Death Goddess who can rain vengeance from halfway across the map.

L95

The patch makes the enemy turns go by faster, right? That was my biggest qualm with the demo.

Yes.

Randolph Carter is so freaking amazing. Unspeakable Lure practically locks down every enemy, to the point where I was able to run past all the Berserkers in 8-1, and his passive skill turned The Fox from a sniper into a Death Goddess who can rain vengeance from halfway across the map.

Yesssss. He is incredibly useful.

TwiztidElf

Fuck I love this game.
I hear you.
If I had to vote for my 2015 GOTY right now, it'd be neck and neck between this and Witcher3.
Amazing game.

The fact that it's niche, it's sold crap, and the overall campy cheesiness all just adds to the charm for me.

We're looking at a deadset niche cult classic in the making right here folks.

Only at the mission where Queequeg is introduced. Why does the text refer to him as King Queg yet the characters say Queequeg? Is it some sort of mess up by NoE?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think part of the reason the game isn't doing well is that there are people here on GAF that don't even know the name.
I see so many people call it "Project STEAM". I really don't understand the ignorance...

Weetrick

I think part of the reason the game isn't doing well is that there are people here on GAF that don't even know the name.
I see so many people call it "Project STEAM". I really don't understand the ignorance...

I saw this post and thought "Really? You're calling people out for not typing the periods between S.T.E.A.M.?" Then I realized that I'm part of the problem. Wow.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I saw this post and thought "Really? You're calling people out for not typing the periods between S.T.E.A.M.?" Then I realized that I'm part of the problem. Wow.

I don't care about the periods. It's getting the first word wrong.

Weetrick

I worded my post poorly. I realized I was part of the problem when I focused on the periods and didn't notice the first word was wrong. Anyway, Slough Feg is the shit and your avatar is awesome.

Yeah, both of these points about all the possible variations on the name make it a really poor title for the game when it comes to searchability, at least. Oh well, at least one thing that makes up for it is how they managed to get the acronym to work across languages...

hatchx

Banned
I've caught myself writing Project STEAM a few times lol.

Same. Codename and Project are similar alpha-phase names.

Honestly just STEAM or STEAM wars or something would have been better.

Almost makes me feel warm and fuzzy seeing just how incredibly niche this game will end up being. Knowing I've thoroughly enjoyed a game that will most likely sell under 100k lifetime makes me feel like I'm part of some small club. I have it physical too, so I can see it being worth something a few years (decades) down the line.

Great game.

Weiss

Banned
One of the cooler parts of the game has to the bestiary filled with references to the Cthulhu mythos penned by Randolph Carter. As a big Lovecraft fan, I loved it.

That aside, anybody figured out a use for Dorothy? She's killed all of one enemy so far.

Japan
[3DS] Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.14} (¥5.076) - 1.835 / NEW
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164556534&postcount=24

US
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160467229&postcount=1252

Yeah. It's pretty brutal. Doesn't deserves numbers as bad as this.
Wow... I was hoping that sales weren't that bad. Dang; This just sucks. Codename Steam is the best handheld game that I've played in ages, despite its number of issues. I was really hoping that there would be some DLC or something, but I guess those numbers mean that there probably won't be much hope of that happening :(
That aside, anybody figured out a use for Dorothy? She's killed all of one enemy so far.
I didn't think she was all that useful either, but then I realized that her Special can be used to help finish certain Missions really fast. By aiming her special long-range into the Mission Goal zone, she'll move like, 14 spaces in a row and knock aside almost everything in her path. I found it really useful when completing some Missions in the Blind Eye and No Return challenges.

I thought that it was helpful sometimes to use both her and Tom in a Mission as well so you can have 2 characters that can hop up ledges, but that didn't come in handy all that often. I can definitely still say that she's my least used party member though, her weapon is just hard to use effectively.

Weiss

Banned
Chapter 15-1 can bite me.

What's that, did you want to move forward? LOL Dreadnoughts constantly using Overwatch and killing half my squad before I'm allowed to make a move.

Overwatch is a cool mechanic but it's so heavily skewed towards the enemies.

So apparently Chapter 15-2 is supposed to be incredibly difficult but I made it past pretty quickly. I used Califia to kill the first two Gunners then maneuvered her around the map to kill the third one. Not sure if the aliens below ever start ascending but I dropped Unspeakable Lures just to be sure.

Weiss

Banned
Well, finally done.

I'll make a larger post later, but for now all I have to say is that, for all its problems, Codename STEAM is a pretty amazing game. More than any other game I can think of I'd really like to see a sequel that irons out the kinks, but given how poorly the game's done I kind of doubt it'll happen, which is a huge shame, because Nintendo finally made a new, innovative IP, something people clamor for, and then everybody ignored it.

Regiruler

Does anyone remember the song used for the
Starface
battle? I believe it was Blessings, but I'm not sure, there's no good footage of the fight, and
when I try to go through 16-1 I get side-tracked really badly since I want to make the best use of it by doing a challenge mode run
For new players who want to get the most out of the game, I suggest the following rule-set:
1. Restart on squad death
2. Don't use any of the checkpoints (for healing or saving)
3. Always collect all three gears.

This will actually reward you more points and save you time on going back and getting gears for unlocks (which are really helpful if you decide to go and play multiplayer).

Saving is fine IMO. It makes some maps far less tedious on the first go around.
And some maps make getting all 3 a pain in the ass. In particular I think of 10-1 and 15-3.
Chapter 15-1 can bite me.

What's that, did you want to move forward? LOL Dreadnoughts constantly using Overwatch and killing half my squad before I'm allowed to make a move.

Overwatch is a cool mechanic but it's so heavily skewed towards the enemies.

So apparently Chapter 15-2 is supposed to be incredibly difficult but I made it past pretty quickly. I used Califia to kill the first two Gunners then maneuvered her around the map to kill the third one. Not sure if the aliens below ever start ascending but I dropped Unspeakable Lures just to be sure.
The hell is a dreadnought? How much shit was changed in the localization?

Finished chapter 15, missed a gear, I know where the gear is, thought I had gotten it but must have forgotten >.< Oh well time to play through chapter 15 again before I get to the end.

Regiruler

Finished chapter 15, missed a gear, I know where the gear is, thought I had gotten it but must have forgotten >.< Oh well time to play through chapter 15 again before I get to the end.

It's not that big of a deal. You're close to the end, I'd just finish it now.

Think of it as a reason to go back later.

Does anyone remember the song used for the
Starface
battle? I believe it was Blessings, but I'm not sure, there's no good footage of the fight, and
when I try to go through 16-1 I get side-tracked really badly since I want to make the best use of it by doing a challenge mode run
Yep, it's Blessings. I just did that stage again recently during my No Return challenge run, so that's definitely it. Awesome song! They really outdid themselves with this game's soundtrack.

Dryk

This game almost lost me in Mission 1-3. But since then it's been much smoother, it's good stuff. I'm really glad the PAL version came out after the speed patch though because after having to deal with that crap in the demo I went and sat back on the fence.

Senator Soufflé;164794038 said:
Only at the mission where Queequeg is introduced. Why does the text refer to him as King Queg yet the characters say Queequeg? Is it some sort of mess up by NoE?
Yes. You'll notice that a bunch of the subtitles don't match. NoE just can't fucking help themselves when it comes to localisation. It's especially annoying in this game though because the voice-acting is constantly throwing it in your face. I'm pretty sure some of Queequeg's incidental dialogue is actually subtitled wrong too. This is by far the worst thing they've done, because all it's done is confuse people and made the game look unpolished.

Dryk

EDIT: As an aside, does anyone know what the music for Mission 5-3 is called because it's really good

Wow, what did NoE do to the script? Sounds like a lot of silly stuff.
The only major thing is changing a bunch of the names. But apart from that there's a few incidental words and conjunctions they've changed in the subtitles. They've also changed it so that whenever someone says a characters name the subtitles only show their first name instead of their full name.

The name changes they've made are apparently (I can only confirm the first two so far):

Tiger Lily -> Lily
Queequeg -> King Queg
Scarecrow -> Strawman
Randolph -> Carter
Tin Man -> Tincan
Queen Ozma -> Queen Oz

Finished last night, that ending
Such a noble sacrifice from Abe
such a shame the game bombed as its an amazing game world they have made and soo much potential.

Question about the ending
Did anyone else notice on the final scene as the comic book closes it says more to come, hoping its some DLC they may be working on or something and not a hint at a potential sequel that most likely won't happen

Ended up getting all the gears, final reward is awesome and makes it worth it, went back and aced the first chapter on the highest difficulty, tempted to play through more stages just to unlock the final bonus, have about 30,000 more medals to get though.

All up, fantastic game and hands down my current GotY, delivered exactly what I wanted when I first heard about it.

TheMoon

I watched that match and was yelling at the screen at some of the decisions they made! I love the game, but that was a hard video to watch!

I don't understand Japanese but I suspect from some of the things they did that they were explaining mechanics and general things you can do while playing which might have lead to some unfortunate outcomes. :)

Yamagami-san definitely should've reminded Mari-chan of the time limit more often, though.^^

TheMoon

@NintendoEurope 2m2 minutes ago

amiibo Agent is the new online tournament open now in #CodeNameSTEAM. You have until 31/05 to take part!

So they thought making an amiibo tournament was a good idea for the very first one?^^

Just got Code Name S.T.E.A.M from the Best Buy sale. I never really finished the demo, but it seems that people who have the full game like it a lot.

I'll probably enjoy it. I'll post my impressions when I have the chance to play it a lot.

Senator Soufflé;165528152 said:
I can't say I think much of the levels with the little teleporting artillery eyeballs. More frustrating than anything.
Oh so god damn annoying, would have been much better for the eyeballs to disappear from the stage for the whole turn once you've shot them, the fact they just move away a little makes those levels very tedious. I feel like I'm wasting most of my shots just to get the bastards away.

Weiss

Banned
I'm pretty sure every level the Eyestalkers appear, you either have enough space to clear out, or find cover.

It's the Nettlers that are the real "Oh Christ what were they thinking" enemy.

I'm pretty sure every level the Eyestalkers appear, you either have enough space to clear out, or find cover.

It's the Nettlers that are the real "Oh Christ what were they thinking" enemy.
Which ones are those again, the small flying pain in the arse to hit ones or the stupid underground surprise ones?

Weiss

Banned
Which ones are those again, the small flying pain in the arse to hit ones or the stupid underground surprise ones?

Flying ones.

They really are just terrible. Practically impossible to kill and guaranteed stun. They're one of the worst enemies in the entire game.

Top Bottom