• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coffee makers are havens for mold and might be making you sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikki

If you don't clean your machine, then you'll be making coffee twice.

She has them hungry eyes.

And he paused a second before shaking it off. That means he considered it!! What a couple of sickos.

I used to point out how awkward this commercial is to my wife.

You just reminded me about that movie Zathura:

• Two pre-adolescent brothers and their older sister play a board game and wind up in space.
  • They encounter a lost astronaut who assists them on their journey
  • When the older sister meets the astronaut for the first time, she's immediately taken aback by his stunningly gorgeous eyes, feeling protected and safe by his mere presence.
  • By the end of the movie, you learn that the astronaut she's attracted to is her younger brother from the future.

And the sister is?

Kristen Stewart

I have this nice one with a gold filter that pretty much completely disassembles and I stick in the dishwasher twice a week.

Not too much of a surprise considering I forgot coffee in a pot once when I went on vacation and came back to large green and black mats on the surface of the coffee. Was pretty surprised something that acidic would still grow mold.

SRG01

Yeah, I make it a habit to clean out my coffee machine and espresso maker at least once a week. Coffee mold, stains and other caked-on stuff are all pretty gross.

Dennis

Banned
That coffee maker at work though....

image.php

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Add me to team French press.

I mean, I prefer a nice double flat white, but espresso machines are gosh darn pricey.

legacyzero

Banned
Love my keurig and never cleaned it. The one at work either. I usually run a cycle after more than 3 to 5 days of NOT using it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Oh crap, I never clean my espresso grinder... How on earth am I supposed to clean that?

What kind of grinder is it? It's actually not so hard since you just need to remove any oils and old grinds so everything can essentially be wiped or brushed off, but depending on your grinder your might have to take it apart to access parts to do so.

I wouldn't recommending grinding rice or whatever like some people do.

SRG01

What kind of grinder is it? It's actually not so hard since you just need to remove any oils and old grinds so everything can essentially be wiped or brushed off, but depending on your grinder your might have to take it apart to access parts to do so.

I wouldn't recommending grinding rice or whatever like some people do.

It's a no-name supermarket brand burr grinder that I use for espresso. It's pretty much all plastic with rubbery-like seals so grinds stick to them all the time.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It's a no-name supermarket brand burr grinder that I use for espresso. It's pretty much all plastic with rubbery-like seals so grinds stick to them all the time.

If you can open it enough to access the grinder part, you can just brush it / wipe oil away / vacuum grinds and that's it.

There are little cleaning tablets you can buy that you just grind up in the machine but if you can access the grinder easily enough then it's probably better to just clean it like that.

Been using the same 20 dollar coffeemate for almost 10 years. Never washed it with soap or vinegar, never gotten sick.

Maybe this is a problem with weak genetics?

Komo

Banned
I guess I need to get a French press now

Is it bad if I use pre-ground beans, or should I start grinding them myself?

You avoid this problem if you just drink superior Turkish Coffee.

On a more serious note, if I do make a pot of american coffee, I usually just run some hot water through it right after and its stayed solidly clean that way.

Ludovico

I guess I need to get a French press now

Is it bad if I use pre-ground beans, or should I start grinding them myself?

What's your budget?
Compared to pre-ground, using a good grinder goes a long way.
I have a ~$45 burr grinder at school, and ~$100 one at home. I'm pretty sure I'd fail a blind test, so...

bionic77

Does this apply to espresso makers like my Nespresso?

I run their clean cycle every 4-5 months once it starts to get a little bitter but maybe that is toxic mold and not clogged/dirty pipes?

Joe

Um FUCK this explains a scary lot...

...and I've been using the same hand-me-down machine for 3 years without cleaning it...

Yep. I drank 2 cups today and it didn't upset my stomach or give me gas and bloat all. It's still anecdotal at this point but if it continues this way for the next few days then I can say with near certainty that I was drinking moldy coffee the past 2-3 months.

Oh and don't even bother cleaning yours, just get a new one or get a simple pour-over setup - it's cleaner and makes better coffee.

Ploid 3.0

And I just started using the pod coffee maker just for the hot water. I'm going to just stop using it but inform the person that actually drinks coffee about this.

Everything in this world really is out to kill us. We can't hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom