• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coffee makers are havens for mold and might be making you sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddammit GAF.
Guess I'll be buying a French press sometime in the future.

I usually cold brew my coffee, but it's almost that time of the year.

see5harp

I threw my old drip maker away months ago since I already had a French press. To be honest I feel like it would be a lot nicer to just get an aeropress.

EDIT: Chemex takes too long to do 2 cups. By the time it's done it's borderline luke warm.

G.ZZZ

images

Masterrace

vikki

I cleaned my machine 4 days ago, but I'm still pooping.

how much of a hassle is a french press? I think I'll watch some YouTube vids on French press.

Now think of that quick cuppa from your local coffee retailer...you think those machines are cleaned as much as they need to be? How about that sheer volume and number of hands on it...

You can see the microbes, can't you?

Muuahhhahahhh!

GavinGT

Banned
I cleaned my Keurig with white vinegar and it made such a huge difference. Thanks OP.

Now think of that quick cuppa from your local coffee retailer...you think those machines are cleaned as much as they need to be? How about that sheer volume and number of hands on it...

You can see the microbes, can't you?

Muuahhhahahhh!

Apparently McDonald's McCafe machines are really gross inside.

Joe

Picked up a simple Melitta pour over and filters. It's simple and not that much more involved than my pod maker, and it's already 99.9% easier to maintain/clean.

Iorv3th

Cleaned the coffee maker at work the other day........the reservoir was super nasty. I took pictures as soon as I upload them I will post them here. But it's a Bunn insta pour and it holds about 3 pots of coffee in a reservoir. That thing had what looked like rust/dirt sitting at the bottom of it and thats after running vinegar through it multiple times.

Had to take the whole thing apart and get the reservoir out and clean it. I will probably be doing that once a month or so until my boss replaces it with something better.

I have always used one of these:

cafe-rain-forest.jpg

Old fashioned, but I prefer them (plus they're very cheap). You just pour the hot water yourself. I heat water in a pot. It doesn't take that much longer.

SRG01

No, don't use vinegar because it ruins the seals! You can buy specialized cleaners for your coffee makers.

Joe

I got a new coffee making setup, a new stainless steel water bottle, and a new Brita pitcher and the gas/digesting problems I've had for the past few months have gone away.

Doesn't french press raise cholesterol when you drink it often? Or is that a myth?

Edit: Yeah, French press coffee raises LDL cholesterol

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10971787

Unless your baseline health is really good you should probably avoid drinking French press coffee with any regularity.

are there other studies? this is a tiny sample size. genetics play a huge role in cholesterol levels. I drink pour over every morning and my levels are too low because I otherwise eat super healthy and I won the genetic lottery.

Why has the French Press taken so long to begin catching on in the US?

most people drink over-roasted, stale, boring coffee so it literally has never mattered how you brew it. we're just now getting more access to good beans.

Does vinegar really do a good job cleaning? I would think there are a lot of types of bacteria that would have no problem surviving getting flushed with vinegar. Wonder if you could run some ethanol or isopropanol through without ruining the machine.

Does vinegar really do a good job cleaning? I would think there are a lot of types of bacteria that would have no problem surviving getting flushed with vinegar. Wonder if you could run some ethanol or isopropanol through without ruining the machine.

that would ruin any rubber seals and may not be food safe. they must make some food safe cleaner for small appliances.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I got a new coffee making setup, a new stainless steel water bottle, and a new Brita pitcher and the gas/digesting problems I've had for the past few months have gone away.

Since i've switched to Moka Pot i've also experienced the same thing. Could be coincidental but it's good to at least know that i'm not drinking strained mold out of that 4 year old Senseo machine that's in my kitchen.

entremet

I have always used one of these:

cafe-rain-forest.jpg

Old fashioned, but I prefer them (plus they're very cheap). You just pour the hot water yourself. I heat water in a pot. It doesn't take that much longer.

A demitasse?

LOL.

I usually have the whole French Press container.

Real answer?

The coffee machine makers marketed their stuff better. The convenience angle was pretty genius.

However, coffee culture is on the rise. My family grew up with Moka Pots. I use French Press.

Coffee machines take way too much counter space.

DJ_Lae

Laziness, I'd wager. It's easier to just dump stuff in and flip a switch. Same reason Keurig/Tassimo has caught on.

I used a french press for a good decade before trying an Aeropress, and I have not gone back. It gives a slightly more muted flavour than a french press, but is significantly easier to clean, leaves no coffee silt at the bottom of a mug, and crucially for me produces coffee lower in acid.

Joe

are there other studies? this is a tiny sample size. genetics play a huge role in cholesterol levels. I drink pour over every morning and my levels are too low because I otherwise eat super healthy and I won the genetic lottery.
This is a separate but connected study that found the interaction between unfiltered coffee and cholesterol.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070614162223.htm
Cafestol, a compound found in coffee, elevates cholesterol by hijacking a receptor in an intestinal pathway critical to its regulation, said researchers from Baylor College of Medicine in a report that appears in the July issue of the journal Molecular Endocrinology.

In fact, cafestol is the most potent dietary cholesterol-elevating agent known, said Dr. David Moore, professor of molecular and cellular biology at BCM, and Dr. Marie-Louise Ricketts, a postdoctoral student and first author of the report. Cafetiere, or French press coffee, boiled Scandinavian brew and espresso contain the highest levels of the compound, which is removed by paper filters used in most other brewing processes. Removing caffeine does not remove cafestol, however.

Drinking 3-4 cups of unfiltered coffee a day for 4 weeks will raise LDL cholesterol about 8%. I haven't read anything about long-term use.

I've known about this for years which is why I got myself a simple stainless steel coffee drip. No mold, no filters and much easier to clean than a french press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom