• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coffee makers are havens for mold and might be making you sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah my first little coffee maker (white) had gross shit growing in the water reservoir. I eventually tossed it because it had its time. I cleaned that only a couple times, I'm going to clean my current one a lot more. And start tossing the grinds after I finish the cup. I usually wait 24 hours until I make the next cup (tossing the grinds)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sweet timing, I literally bought my Bialetti Moka pot today.

61higzh0cgl._sl1500_4usxg.jpg

French Press is machine washable, so it's the best. I'll use mine about 3 or 4 times (rinsing after each) then stick it in the dishwasher top rack. Love that thing.

longdi

Banned
But capsule coffee tasted better than french press ime.
It is harder to get the right water temperature and hand pressing is also harder to extract the coffee.

What is a good french press to buy?

But capsule coffee tasted better than french press ime.

You really want to claim there is not a single good tasting coffee brand under the 400 avaiable brands out there?

It is harder to get the right water temperature and hand pressing is also harder to extract the coffee.

Buy an electrical kettle and yes it's harder if you have two broken arms.

longdi

Banned
Capsule coffee is really convenient to get good tasting cup of coffee in the morning rush. Any recommendations for French press and coffee selection that can do the same for me?

Capsule coffee is really convenient to get good tasting cup of coffee in the morning rush. Any recommendations for French press and coffee selection that can do the same for me?

French press are such simple devices that you can pick the cheapest one of the size you need.

And for the coffee selection, you can check what your favourite capsule coffee is using.

shaowebb

What's the easiest way to clean the coffee maker of potential mold without poisoning yourself?

Alka seltzer tablets. Seriously...thats all the coffee cleaning tablets are. Just run that and some hot water in the tank. You can do a white vinegar run later if you like,but this is pretty well the best way you can clean things like my espresso maker.

Red

Last year, my Keurig suddenly began releasing more coffee grains from the pod than usual. It was a slight annoyance, having then float to the top of my coffee mug, but I crunched down on them and went about my day. A few days after this started I noticed grains floating inside the reservoir. I wondered how they got there. So I took a closer look, and found my Keurig had become infested by ants.

I thought my intestines were just not very tolerant to coffee! Explains a lot actually, I thought the change in bitterness was due to change in coffee beans.

Last year, my Keurig suddenly began releasing more coffee grains from the pod than usual. It was a slight annoyance, having then float to the top of my coffee mug, but I crunched down on them and went about my day. A few days after this started I noticed grains floating inside the reservoir. I wondered how they got there. So I took a closer look, and found my Keurig had become infested by ants.

that's just bonus protein!

SRG01

If you can open it enough to access the grinder part, you can just brush it / wipe oil away / vacuum grinds and that's it.

There are little cleaning tablets you can buy that you just grind up in the machine but if you can access the grinder easily enough then it's probably better to just clean it like that.

This almost makes me want to buy a commercial grinder so I can actually clean it well...

Jams775

I have and love my French press and Aero Press like anyone else, but I can't see myself using them in the morning barely awake. I've forgotten to put coffee grinds in my coffee in the morning. I've forgotten to put water in it and have also forgotten to turn it on. I can't see myself boiling water in the electric kettle remember to come back just before it clicks off then setting the timer for the french press and having to remember how much to eye the amount of water when filling the press.

rambis

Banned
Yeah mold grows fast as shit in those. I left like a small bit of coffee in a pot for about two days and came back to see it had transformed.

Clean mine once a week.

Omg O______O

Nordicus

Yep. I drank 2 cups today and it didn't upset my stomach or give me gas and bloat all. It's still anecdotal at this point but if it continues this way for the next few days then I can say with near certainty that I was drinking moldy coffee the past 2-3 months.
Seeing this thread yesterday, I cleaned my own coffeemaker. Same story here.

Yep, time for my trimonthly coffee maker clean.

Edit: actually, fuck it, gon' go grab a french press. Thanks for the reminder GAF.

SeanR1221

Side note: it's kinda gross how so many of you guys have never cleaned their machines. Why did you think it would never have to be cleaned??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom