• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty says "There is nothing to learn from the success of Helldivers 2."

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not giving it a click but he isn't wrong from the standpoint that most devs don't know whats going to hit and what wont

I don't think anyone was able to predict Palworld to explode and there isn't much to learn from that game's success either

I don't think anyone was able to predict Palworld to explode and there isn't much to learn from that game's success either
I would say you could make a formula out of Palworld more easily.

Helldivers is difficult to recapture cause games like that are aplenty. Why it blew up is a bit more nuanced and difficult to aim for.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not giving it a click but he isn't wrong from the standpoint that most devs don't know whats going to hit and what wont

This mentality isn't applied anywhere else on planet earth.

"If you can't predict something, then there's nothing to learn from it."

Think of our understanding of weather throughout history. We went from "That storm was crazy. It must be God being mad at us for some reason. Becky, did you sleep with Jim?!" to now we can predict when and where hurricanes will land.

Could Epic Games predict PUBG? No. They sure did learn from it though. Success leaves evidence.

coffinbirth

Think of our understanding of weather throughout history. We went from "That storm was crazy. It must be God being mad at us for some reason. Becky, did you sleep with Jim?!" to now we can predict when and where hurricanes will land.

Could Epic Games predict PUBG? No. They sure did learn from it though. Success leaves evidence.
Funny way of saying they ripped them off.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

What epic did with Fortnight was not predicting anything as people tend to forget Fortnight started out as Save The World PVE which bombed

Epic saw what PUBG was doing and not doing and changed up the formula and it landed.

How many other BRs tried and failed?

Not a good analogy imo

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What epic did with Fortnight was not predicting anything as people tend to forget Fortnight started out as Save The World PVE which bombed

Epic saw what PUBG was doing and not doing and changed up the formula and it landed.

How many other BRs tried and failed?

Not a good analogy imo
Save the World was designed BEFORE PUBG took off.

Fortnite Battle Royale was created because they learned from the (unpredictable) success of PUBG.

Then Respawn learned from the (unpredictable) success of Fortnite.

Then Activision learned from the (unpredictable) success of Apex Legends.

Then Mediatonic learned from the (unpredictable) success of Blackout

Then Activision learned from the (unpredictable) success of Blackout.

Oh and btw, PUBG learned from the (unpredictable) success of H1Z1.

The idea that we can not learn from unpredictable events is a misunderstanding of the human race.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Fortnite blew up after PUBG because PUBG, while novel and well-executed, was PC only and ran like ass. Fortnite ran better, was F2P, and most importantly was multiplatform. I don't think that it's success was a surprise at all, actually. Apex Legends took Respawn's control and gameplay mechanics, which were always top notch, and brought them into this genre where people could see them.

For Helldivers 2, the game went viral, but I think it's tough to figure out why. It doesn't do anything new, unlike PUBG when it came out. It has the same gameplay structure as the first game, which was popular but definitely not some massive hit. It doesn't have amazing graphics or mechanics, although both are fine (the engine it uses was discontinued years ago FFS). It has a tone that is a callback to popular movies, and it doesn't have wokeshit, but that's not going to make people play a game they don't want to play.

But it really, really hit with people. I am tempted to chalk it up as one of those random viral games like you see on PC every once in a while, but it has more legs. Whenever that happens, you can usually point to many similar games that just didn't land and it's tough to distinguish why.

Funny way of saying they ripped them off.
But PUBG ripped off Arma 2 modders....

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Learning from unpredictable success is only possible if it's...the same person?

The hoops some of ya'll have to jump through...
I was asking if the person who modded ARMA 2 was the same who built PUBG

What the fuck are you on about me jumping through hoops?

My ignore list has really grown this last week or so, don't bother replying to me

Last edited:

coffinbirth

I was asking if the person who modded ARMA 2 was the same who built PUBG

What the fuck are you on about me jumping through hoops?

My ignore list has really grown this last week or so, don't bother replying to me
Indeed it was, Brendan Greene.
He did the Arma 2 mod, the success of that got him recruited by Sony to do a BR mode for H1Z1, and the success of that got him proper funding via Krafton to fully realize his ideas with PUBG.

Top Bottom