• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 12| Undefeated when playing (InsertTeamName) football

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
By that logic, why is OSU still in the top 5? What ranked team have they beat? Wisc? Wisc hasn't beat anyone with a winning conf record as you said, so they suck.
NW? Look at how that turned out now. 0-5 in Conf now.

They haven't lost yet + preseason bias. The high ranking was theirs to lose from the start, and they did slip a couple spots without losing.

Wisconsin started out barely ranked and was 3-2 at one point. So it's kind of the opposite of what we see with OSU where they were going to have to prove themselves to move up and by losing two games they failed to do so.

I'm not saying it's right, as they are rankings are bullshit.

Draconian

Why is Louisville ahead of UCF in two polls? I know it was a Friday night game, but it's stuff like this that makes me happy to a degree that we have the computer rankings.

Jamesways

You want me to argue that OSU isn't over rated? I'm not going to argue with you on that point. I'll let Buck do that.

Where do you think Wisconsin should be ranked?

edit: :jnc @ click clack. Bravo, LSUfreek. Bravo.

They haven't lost yet + preseason bias. The high ranking was theirs to lose from the start, and they did slip a couple spots without losing.

Wisconsin started out barely ranked and was 3-2 at one point. So it's kind of the opposite of what we see with OSU where they were going to have to prove themselves to move up and by losing two games they failed to do so.

I'm not saying it's right, as they are rankings are bullshit.

No, no, I guess I really don't. :p
Just wondered if you felt OSUs' high rating was justified.

Based on strentgh of sched, I do think OSU is overrated.

And I think that if Wisc finished 10-2, they're still be ranked around 20th.

Chaosblade's post pretty much sums it up.

Why is Louisville ahead of UCF in two polls? I know it was a Friday night game, but it's stuff like this that makes me happy to a degree that we have the computer rankings.

At first I understood given the fact UL started high and UCF was only receiving votes. Teams don't always jump the one they just beat. I get that.

However, it is pretty fucked up the Harris and Coaches voters are refusing to apply logic here. UCF with the better schedule, wins, and only loss being a close one to a top 10 USC team. At least the computers somewhat saved us and balanced out the Harris and Coaches poll for the overall BCS ranking.

Oh well, I'm kind of hoping that if we continue to win, we stay below one of NIU or Fresno or at least one of them gets to BCS 12 so that it makes it likely we or the American champ in general does not get shipped to Arizona.

Going back to the Houston game, it was definitely thrilling. Stadium was electric all night and everyone lost their shit on the final Houston drive and goal line stand. I wish we had the clout to ban noon games and play only at 6pm or later. Just a different crowd overall for night games. Houston is damn good but I'm glad the defense stepped up and overcame our offensive mistakes. Houston is a takeaway machine.

As for the conference race, UCF is in pretty good position. We basically have to lose twice for us to not get the autobid due to tiebreakers. Assuming Cincinnati is not able to take out both Houston and Louisville.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
No, no, I guess I really don't. :p
Just wondered if you felt OSUs' high rating was justified.

Based on strentgh of sched, I do think they're overrated.

And I think that if Wisc finished 10-2, they're still be ranked around 20th.
There's no way. Beating Minnesota alone will help your score in the computer. If you go 10-2 you'd be ranked ~15 going into your bowl game with an outside chance for a top 10 finish depending upon what happens during the bowl season.

KingGondo

Banned
Well we lost our starting RB for the season. Be easy on us Gondo's
Glad you're not feeling confident, it makes me feel better.

Hoping we can make it 3 in a row in Austin.

Also, Gundy says Josh Stewart (injured against KU) should be back at practice by Wednesday. Losing him would really hurt us, so I'm glad he appears to be OK.

JHall

9o1_medium.gif

:jnc

Glad you're not feeling confident, it makes me feel better.

Hoping we can make it 3 in a row in Austin.

Also, Gundy says Josh Stewart (injured against KU) should be back at practice by Wednesday. Losing him would really hurt us, so I'm glad he appears to be OK.

It was hard enough to be confident with Case at the helm, but now that he lacks his #1 RB to hand off to, it could spell disaster if the solution is for Case to sling the ball more.

desh

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. These things usually sort themselves out in the end, though; e.g. if Houston beats Louisville, then it won't even matter.

(FRI) Washington @ UCLA by 22
Cincinnati @ Rutgers by 14
North Carolina @ Pittsburgh by 32
Georgia @ Auburn by 4
Miami @ Duke by 4
Oklahoma State @ Texas by 28
Michigan State @ Nebraska by 36
Michigan @ Northwestern by 4
California @ Colorado by 4
Texas Tech vs Baylor by 19
Stanford @ USC by 4
Oregon State @ Arizona State by 4

KingGondo

Banned
It was hard enough to be confident with Case at the helm, but now that he lacks his #1 RB to hand off to, it could spell disaster if the solution is for Case to sling the ball more.
Our defense is legit, too.

We should be able to hold UT to under 20 points IMO, even in Austin.

FWIW, I'm not that confident in our offense either. Chelf's accuracy leaves a *lot* to be desired, but I expect more diversity in playcalling against UT after keeping it vanilla vs. KU.

I feel like I should mention, contra the thread title, that Cal is actually winless when playing Cal football.

That USC game last weekend was quintessential Cal football.

I hate to see you like this, Cyan. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfebpLfAt8g

Indeed. I feel badly for the students now that they've started cracking down on drinking before the games, too.

Fun fact of the week:Breaking records left and right.

We've been breaking a lot of records the last couple of years. At least I feel good about these ones!

cdyhybrid

Indeed. I feel badly for the students now that they've started cracking down on drinking before the games, too.

Fun fact of the week:Breaking records left and right.

That's even worse than the football team. Not cool. I would have shot myself on the 50 yard line if I had to sit through the Tyrone years in the freezing cold, empty student section stone-cold sober.

Our defense is legit, too.

We should be able to hold UT to under 20 points IMO, even in Austin.

FWIW, I'm not that confident in our offense either. Chelf's accuracy leaves a *lot* to be desired, but I expect more diversity in playcalling against UT after keeping it vanilla vs. KU.

Which is why our defense will need some takeaways to have a chance. Unfortunately, our DT who has given us 2 Fat guy INT TD's this year is also out for the season. 2 big injuries during our trip to Morgantown.

I hate to see you like this, Cyan. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfebpLfAt8g

We've been breaking a lot of records the last couple of years. At least I feel good about these ones!

top comment on youtube said:
Gary Tyrrell, the Stanford trombonist who was run over by Moen, is a venture capital CFO and amateur brewer. He became friends with Moen and Cal coach Joe Kapp. He appeared on television's The Tonight Show along with the key Cal players shortly after The Play; his smashed trombone is now displayed in the College Football Hall of Fame. He has also said, "I thought I'd be famous for my talent as a musician, not for being knocked down at a football game.

heh, thats neat

KingGondo

Banned
Which is why our defense will need some takeaways to have a chance. Unfortunately, our DT who has given us 2 Fat guy INT TD's this year is also out for the season. 2 big injuries during our trip to Morgantown.
Like I said, for some reason I'm more nervous for this one than I am for either Baylor or Bedlam.

I think I'm still carrying mental scars from the OSU-UT games from 2000-2009.

That's even worse than the football team. Not cool. I would have shot myself on the 50 yard line if I had to sit through the Tyrone years in the freezing cold, empty student section stone-cold sober.
Yeah, they're apparently ramping up enforcement this year, which isn't helping with the anemic student attendance. There have been couple of news stories on it recently.

Enfinit

GAF Pick'em Week 12 Games

(FRI) Washington @ UCLA by 7
Cincinnati @ Rutgers by 4
North Carolina @ Pittsburgh by 4
Georgia @ Auburn by 4 UPSET SPECIAL
Miami @ Duke by 4
Oklahoma State @ Texas by 4
Michigan State @ Nebraska by 7
Michigan @ Northwestern by 4
California @ Colorado by 4
Texas Tech vs Baylor by 17
Stanford @ USC by 7
Oregon State @ Arizona State by 10

mre

Yeah, they're apparently ramping up enforcement this year, which isn't helping with the anemic student attendance. There have been couple of news stories on it recently.
They're just preparing to kill the program completely, tear down the stadium, and plant a grove of redwoods in its place.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Scout.com's value has absolutely tanked since 247 came along.

Hell Rivals as well.

247 is definitely owning the space.

It doesn't help that Fox tried that whole redesign thing a few years back which was one of the worst internet tries of all time.

mre

Hell Rivals as well.

It doesn't help that Fox tried that whole redesign thing a few years back which was one of the worst internet tries of all time.
Yep. Rivals got gutted because 247 took several of their sites when they formed. I know that BOL was a HUGE loss for Rivals.

pxleyes said:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

*deep breath*

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Yeah, I don't think Ohio State does PR training for its players.

mre

@David10TV 13m
I've noticed Evan Spencer's quote making the rounds doesn't include him saying that it's "my bias speaking" or that he chuckled afterwards

Shocked, appalled, outraaaaaaaaaage!!!!!!!!!
I don't think anyone is shock, appalled, or outraged. It was not, however, a smart thing to say. Don't you guys train your guys on how to speak to the media and to know that they're going to sensationalize and twist everything they say?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Hell Rivals as well.

Yep. Rivals got gutted because 247 took several of their sites when they formed. I know that BOL was a HUGE loss for Rivals.

Very noticeable difference in Rivals this year versus the last few. 247 took along practically the entire midwest recruiting staff IIRC, including the director/coordinator/whatever the head guy's position was called. It wasn't just some of the sites that 247 got, it was staff from all over the remaining sites.

I don't think anyone is shock, appalled, or outraged. It was not, however, a smart thing to say. Don't you guys train your guys on how to speak to the media and to know that they're going to sensationalize and twist everything they say?

All the players take PR classes and are coached over their careers on media relations. He was asked how he think they would do and he gave a tongue in cheek answer. It is what it is.

Evan Spencer wasn't talking like Evan Spencer when he made those comments so clearly he did not make them.

Thanks for the line Jesse! It can literally be used everywhere!!

Because this is totally unique to Ohio State, right?

I guess Michigan must not do any media training since their players keep making dumb cracks about their "little sister" in East Lansing.

I guess Michigan must not do any media training since their players keep making dumb cracks about their "little sister" in East Lansing.

Also, Michigan fans and hoke may have a tough time tomorrow night when we play Ohio in basketball trying to talk about the game.

mre

All the players take PR classes and are coached over their careers on media relations. He was asked how he think they would do and he gave a tongue in cheek answer. It is what it is.
Agreed. And what it is, is a stupid, ill-advised comment. :p

I've re-read my comments and I'm pretty sure I never claimed that it was unique to Ohio State. I'd say those comments made by Michigan players are stupid as well. Are you saying they're not?

Agreed. And what it is, is a stupid, ill-advised comment. :p

I've re-read my comments and I'm pretty sure I never claimed that it was unique to Ohio State. I'd say those comments made by Michigan players are stupid as well. Are you saying they're not?

You seemed to suggest that it's some sort of problem endemic to Ohio State - like our players make more ill-advised public comments than players at other prominent football programs. And I see little evidence of that. (Our former university president, on the other hand? Absolutely.)

I think when you take it entirely out of context, yeah, it's a dumb comment. But when you consider the full comment...

"Well I guess I’m a little biased, but I think we’d wipe the field with both of them. But that’s just my bias speaking."

...and the fact that Spencer apparently added a laugh or two, it's pretty typical college football smack talk.

Draconian

Why are you tOSU fans so defensive? He said something dumb. No need to take it personally that people are saying it was stupid.

Why are you tOSU fans so defensive? He said something dumb. No need to take it personally that people are saying it was stupid.

How do you know it's dumb when there's an extremely good chance that we'll never know for certain how an OSU/Bama or OSU/FSU championship would play out?

mre

You seemed to suggest that it's some sort of problem endemic to Ohio State - like our players make more ill-advised public comments than players at other prominent football programs. And I see little evidence of that. (Our now-former university president, on the other hand? Absolutely.)

I think when you take it entirely out of context, yeah, it's a dumb comment. But when you consider the full comment...

...and the fact that Spencer apparently added a laugh or two, it's pretty typical college football smack talk.
While I certainly asked whether Ohio State does any sort of PR training for its players, I never compared the propensity for Ohio State players to put their foot in their mouth to players from other schools.

This was a particularly dumb comment to make--albeit a safe one at the moment until Bama or FSU slip up--and if it were made by a player from any other school you would agree.
How do you know it's dumb when there's an extremely good chance that we'll never know for certain how an OSU/Bama or OSU/FSU championship would play out?
Oh, come on.

Slug Offense proved to be ineffective.

You're future Overlords, the Selection Committee (Minus Osborne and Manning, who were out getting skunked)

Please tell me that's Mike Tranghese with his back turned to the discussion. It would fit perfectly with the ineptitude that was his job as Big East Commissioner.

Top Bottom