• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 3| Kiffen/Brown Farewell Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's almost like they're trying to make everyone hate JFF. I'm hoping they actually have the dedicated camera on picture in picture for the whole game. That way even when we're watching a view of the play, we can see his reaction.

It worked for Peyton Manning and Tim Tebow. It's about time for another one.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
After two games, apparently Baker Mayfield is only 531 yards shy of the Big XII true freshman passing record of 1,311 yards, set by RGIII in 2008.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

KingGondo

Banned
After two games, apparently Baker Mayfield is only 531 yards shy of the Big XII true freshman passing record of 1,311 yards, set by RGIII in 2008.
Our game @ Tech is becoming scarier to me than our game in Austin.

I think we'll win both, but the Lubbock game is a classic trap.

Draxal

Poor Ten-Ur-See:p Top 10 in wins all time, Right outside the top 10 in national championships (and have a more recent one than a few of these teams). Such is the power of The Dooley (or was it The Kiffikens. Or the Secret Witnesses Of Fulmernation)

Sustainability was one of the metrics to be considered and it was going to be very very hard for Tennessee, just dug themselves too big a hole. Its also why I think Florida and FSU should be there as their home state recruiting advantage is too strong.

jagowar

So looking forward to Gata, Texas, USC meltdown time.
Just go back to last weeks thread.... already started and it was pretty glorious.

So, CBS is going to dedicate a camera to exclusively follow Manziel during the game on Saturday, even when he's on the bench: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mo...johnny-manziel-camera-eminem-brent-musburger/
The media really needs to get over their obsession with him but as long as they get ratings (you know the ratings will be huge sat) and he continues to do stupid things they won't.

andycapps

True. But the same goes for FSU/Bowden, just ten years earlier (he got there in 76, but weren't the national power for a few years). And they haven't been as relevant since the Jeff Bowden era. Gators became relevant in the 80s but Spurrier pushed them over the edge.

It's true about Bowden, but like I said, I was trying to get at least one team from every conference. Penn State is probably more worthy on a top 10 all time list than FSU.

Enfinit

I told ya'll Da U waz back to the usual sweg standards.

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 7
Louisville @ Kentucky by 20
UCLA @ Nebraska by 6
Fresno State @ Colorado by 14
Boston College @ USC by 17
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 3
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 10
Ohio State @ California by 12
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 7
Ole Miss @ Texas by 4
Oregon State @ Utah by 11
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 12

No upsets this week. A&M is the only team that might pull it off, but I hate Johnny Douchebag so much there's no way Im rooting for him.

Go Noles!

ToxicAdam

About every 10 years or so, Toledo gets a collection of talent (in the skill position) that comes together and can compete with the big boys. This was supposed to be that year, but their QB turns out to be a pumpkin who cracks under the smallest amount of pressure.

Dammit.

Also, why is their head coach only 33 years old? Who thought that was a good idea?

Lonestar

http://www.weweretexas.com/weweretexas
xT84uO9.jpg

U4vtfqv.jpg

About every 10 years or so, Toledo gets a collection of talent (in the skill position) that comes together and can compete with the big boys. This was supposed to be that year, but their QB turns out to be a pumpkin who cracks under the smallest amount of pressure.

Dammit.

Also, why is their head coach only 33 years old? Who thought that was a good idea?

Wait, Toledo or Florida?

Don't mind me. Still a tad bitter.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Our game @ Tech is becoming scarier to me than our game in Austin.

I think we'll win both, but the Lubbock game is a classic trap.

Unbelievable how open our conference is this season. To be clear, I still don't expect it to happen (I'm still thinking we'll end up in the 7-8 win range), but it could actually be a realistic outcome for Tech to win the conference with a true freshman QB and an OL that's more shallow than a kiddie pool. Who's the juggernaut in the conference this year that we're really scared of? I still think we lose to OSU, and could easily lose to OU, TCU, and UT, but knowing what we know two weeks into the season how can we not also see those games as clearly winnable?

I don't think there is any game on the conference schedule that Tech can't win and I don't think there is any game on the conference that Tech can't lose. I know the joke before the season was that "anybody in the Big XII can beat anybody in the Big XII (except for Kansas)" but I think Kansas played damn hard last season and with the JUCO influx they just had I think they're going to surprise at least one team with a win this season.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I don't see the hit by #85 but #86 looks clean.

ccJJ1Qa.png

Clearly on his front side there.

It was 86; I couldn't make out his jersey # clearly.

Your image is kind of fuzzy and looks more as if the ND and Michigan players are fusing together to form some sort of WolverFigThing. Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like they were coming at each other at an angle, and judging from the direction the ND player goes flying, that the ND player got there first and took the brunt of the hit to his backside.
I'm kinda hoping Saban goes to Texas so he can do the coaches show.
The fact that there is a televised show on the LHN is enough to convince me that he won't go to Texas.

Jhriad

I dont know why anyone would ever want Fitzgerald, he is an average at best coach. About the best NW could get though.

Oh come on, Fitzgerald is better than average. An average coach couldn't get the production he's had out of a program like Northwestern. He might not be one of the best coaches in the game but he's certainly better than average.

He's had 1 possibly 2 good seasons, hes a good coach, but he still average/ slightly above average.

That's more like it.

KingGondo

Banned
Unbelievable how open our conference is this season. To be clear, I still don't expect it to happen (I'm still thinking we'll end up in the 7-8 win range), but it could actually be a realistic outcome for Tech to win the conference with a true freshman QB and an OL that's more shallow than a kiddie pool. Who's the juggernaut in the conference this year that we're really scared of? I still think we lose to OSU, and could easily lose to OU, TCU, and UT, but knowing what we know two weeks into the season how can we not also see those games as clearly winnable?

I don't think there is any game on the conference schedule that Tech can't win and I don't think there is any game on the conference that Tech can't lose. I know the joke before the season was that "anybody in the Big XII can beat anybody in the Big XII (except for Kansas)" but I think Kansas played damn hard last season and with the JUCO influx they just had I think they're going to surprise at least one team with a win this season.
I think KU will beat ISU or WVU (or maybe both) this season.

The past two games reinforced to me that we're the clear favorite, but Baylor looks pretty scary as well. I just keep telling myself that we get them at home, and that we played like dogshit in Waco last year and still only lost by 7.

I would change my BigXII conference prediction to Baylor at this point. I know that sounds crazy, and they'll undoubtedly slip up, but I also doubt any BigXII team will run the table so I'm going by who has the most playmakers. I know most of you didn't get to watch Buffalo v. Baylor, but in that game Lache Seastrunk looked almost unstoppable. Instead of crashing into defenders like Texas running backs, he would bounce off of them, side shuffle a few steps, and keep going up field like a mini wrecking ball. I don't see many BigXII teams stopping him, and he'll surely go for 500 yards in the Texas v. Baylor game alone.

It was 86; I couldn't make out his jersey # clearly.

Your image is kind of fuzzy and looks more as if the ND and Michigan players are fusing together to form some sort of WolverFigThing. Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like they were coming at each other at an angle, and judging from the direction the ND player goes flying, that the ND player got there first and took the brunt of the hit to his backside.

The fact that there is a televised show on the LHN is enough to convince me that he won't go to Texas.

That's another reason Mack Brown is tough to get on the hot seat. He has been a good soldier for the LHN and is featured on lots of the programming for the network like Coaches Corner, Rewind with Mack Brown etc. He's doing a lot of extra work that the University feels other coaches may not be willing to do.

KingGondo

Banned
I would change my BigXII conference prediction to Baylor at this point. I know that sounds crazy, and they'll undoubtedly slip up, but I also doubt any BigXII team will run the table so I'm going by who has the most playmakers. I know most of you didn't get to watch Buffalo v. Baylor, but in that game Lache Seastrunk looked almost unstoppable. Instead of crashing into defenders like Texas running backs, he would bounce off of them, side shuffle a few steps, and keep going up field like a mini wrecking ball. I don't see many BigXII teams stopping him, and he'll surely go for 500 yards in the Texas v. Baylor game alone.
The back end of Baylor's schedule is loaded, but they can clearly beat Texas and OU this year. Heck, TCU might not even put up much of a fight.

As I said, I'm just glad we get Baylor at home. It could be a top-5 matchup, which is crazy to think about.

andycapps

The back end of Baylor's schedule is loaded, but they can clearly beat Texas and OU this year. Heck, TCU might not even put up much of a fight.

As I said, I'm just glad we get Baylor at home. It could be a top-5 matchup, which is crazy to think about.

Baylor is ranked #22 though. They've played Wofford and Buffalo thus far. Since they beat Buffalo 70-3 and tOSU only beat Buffalo 40-20, Baylor is better than tOSU. That much is clear.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Baylor looked scary at the beginning of last season, too, and then they lost 5 of their first 6 conference games with the only win being over Kansas at home. They would have ended up with only 2 conference wins total if Doege hadn't handed them the ball with a bow on it a few times and Tuberville hadn't gone full on "three and out run the ball to 'protect' the lead instead of run the normal offense" when we were up on them.

If Seastrunk hadn't had half of a good season last year they wouldn't be getting near the hype they're getting. I'm not sold yet.

That's another reason Mack Brown is tough to get on the hot seat. He has been a good soldier for the LHN and is featured on lots of the programming for the network like Coaches Corner, Rewind with Mack Brown etc. He's doing a lot of extra work that the University feels other coaches may not be willing to do.

From what I hear Texas' AD and possibly President are likely on the way out soon as well (retiring?), so it's hard to hire a great DC when he doesn't know who his head coach will be and it's hard to hire a head coach when he doesn't know who his AD will be and it's hard to hire an AD when he doesn't know who his President will be.

Baylor looked scary at the beginning of last season, too, and then they lost 5 of their first 6 conference games with the only win being over Kansas at home. They would have ended up with only 2 conference wins total if Doege hadn't handed them the ball with a bow on it a few times and Tuberville hadn't gone full on "three and out run the ball to 'protect' the lead instead of run the normal offense" when we were up on them.

If Seastrunk hadn't had half of a good season last year they wouldn't be getting near the hype they're getting. I'm not sold yet.

Baylor last year was losing at halftime to Sam Houston early in the season if I remember correctly. The 2nd half of the season w/Seastrunk as the starting RB was the variable, and they looked much improved. They haven't slowed down since dominating UCLA in December

From what I hear Texas' AD and possibly President are likely on the way out soon as well (retiring?), so it's hard to hire a great DC when he doesn't know who his head coach will be and it's hard to hire a head coach when he doesn't know who his AD will be and it's hard to hire an AD when he doesn't know who his President will be.

The young generation can't find jobs because the elderly are refusing to retire. News at 11

:(

KingGondo

Banned

Very true. I'll be watching their game @ KSU very closely. If they go into Manhattan and dominate I'll start to believe.

However, their last 5 are: OU, TTU, @ OSU, @ TCU, and Texas. If they get through that with less than 2 losses I'll be surprised.

Lonestar

Yeah, he barely hides his rage at having to do his Coach's show after the game. He gives the crew maybe 10 minutes, while still out on the field, to get his footage. Damn if he'll narrate the clipshow of plays from the game, just use Eli's Radio clips.

Whoa, it is really impressive how those refs missed the block in the back thrown by #85 or #86..

Was expecting some "hahah nice defense, ND" or something, but the block? Looks borderline at worst to me.

I dont know why anyone would ever want Fitzgerald, he is an average at best coach. About the best NW could get though.

He definitely shrinks into mediocrity (or worse) if you picture him at Texas or USC; but in the context of "young coaches on the rise" he's easily top five in that group, imo.

jjasper

Sustainability was one of the metrics to be considered and it was going to be very very hard for Tennessee, just dug themselves too big a hole. Its also why I think Florida and FSU should be there as their home state recruiting advantage is too strong.

Digging a hole doesn't really matter in the long term, most programs dig themselves one at some point. Most people thought Bama was done forever. LSU was irrelevant for 20+ years. Not sure if Nebraska has done anything in 15+ years, etc.

Our problem is that programs that dig a hole usually get out of it by admitting there is a problem and committing to fixing it. Our administration has no interest in fixing the problem and in fact they want to deemphasize athletics so unless we get lucky with a cheap hire who wants to stay long term we will never get back to being a top 10 program.

LegoDad

Bring on Umass, Snyder has outscored opponents 682-80 in game 3's at home...

Edit: Bill Snyder Note...

He's been doing that for years, funny how it blows up after a loss to an FCS opponent.. People just ignore Bill Snyder, one of the best coaches ever.

mcgruber

Very true. I'll be watching their game @ KSU very closely. If they go into Manhattan and dominate I'll start to believe.

However, their last 5 are: OU, TTU, @ OSU, @ TCU, and Texas. If they get through that with less than 2 losses I'll be surprised.

The hype is similar to miss state last year(beating up on nobody and being ranked because of it), with larger margins of victory. Baylor somehow lost to Iowa state last year, I don't think we'll see how good they are until they play tech or oklahoma state. I think they'll lose to tech

Draxal

Digging a hole doesn't really matter in the long term, most programs dig themselves one at some point. Most people thought Bama was done forever. LSU was irrelevant for 20+ years. Not sure if Nebraska has done anything in 15+ years, etc.

Our problem is that programs that dig a hole usually get out of it by admitting there is a problem and committing to fixing it. Our administration has no interest in fixing the problem and in fact they want to deemphasize athletics so unless we get lucky with a cheap hire who wants to stay long term we will never get back to being a top 10 program.

I didn't have Nebraska in my list either. I just think Florida and Georgia can recover from a down period with less pain. Don't get me wrong your teams history is top notch, but right now its around 11-15 in my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom