• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

ryseing

It's because they don't have much of a defense, though their defense this year was the best they've had recently.. They finished 29th.

Yeah, Chavis was a solid hire. But then you read this and it becomes clear the offense has had its own problems, for which Sumlin deserves a significant portion of the blame.

Ganhyun

They were handed a ball on a tee to hit out of the park....and they hit the tee instead.

easy-task-fail-tball_1.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Manziel made a lot of folks money at A&M. Kind of insane how fast its crumbling down. Sumlin really lucked himself into good fortunes at both Houston and A&M, neither Keenum nor Manziel were his guys.

Watching aggie burn to the ground brings me no small amount of joy.

Despite our best efforts to be the laughing stock of the state, not even we can out aggie aggie.

One one hand if he's fired this year,I don't think they would get Herman, on the other hand I want Sumlin to stay for the lulz.

Okay I may be exposed for being out of the loop here, but is Sumlin "aka Rumlin" really an alcoholic or are those just rumors? Obviously Sark set a precedent that you can't be fired for alcoholism so A&M couldn't fire him for that, but given 2 QB's have left before their bowl game he could be fired for lack of control.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
One one hand if he's fired this year,I don't think they would get Herman, on the other hand I want Sumlin to stay for the lulz.

I hope he stays around at least one more year so that we have a chance at Texas and Texas A&M both having vacancies at the same time.

I hope he stays around at least one more year so that we have a chance at Texas and Texas A&M both having vacancies at the same time.

Spoiler alert: Both schools will go after the same guy, then whichever school doesn't get their guy, said school will claim they were never going after that guy and they wanted guy #2 all along.

I'm so desensitized to this shit it's not even funny

andycapps

Yeah, Chavis was a solid hire. But then you read this and it becomes clear the offense has had its own problems, for which Sumlin deserves a significant portion of the blame.
Really it's not shocking that the defense has had problems when they're going up against an air raid offense every day in practice. That's not something they're going to see in the conference. Scout team can only prepare them so much. Doesn't help that they don't recruit well on defense.

But yeah, combining the defense not being good, and the offense regressing and I think it's pretty obvious that Sumlin is coaching for his job this next season.

Okay I may be exposed for being out of the loop here, but is Sumlin "aka Rumlin" really an alcoholic or are those just rumors? Obviously Sark set a precedent that you can't be fired for alcoholism so A&M couldn't fire him for that, but given 2 QB's have left before their bowl game he could be fired for lack of control.

I mean, he lives in College Station, so I'd actually be more surprised if he weren't an alcoholic.

DominoKid

think that youtube vid of him stumbling shitfaced in the hotel is what sparked that.

Silkworm

Hmmm, if Sumlin gets fired next year, maybe Miles could jump from LSU to Texas A&M. And then Sumlin could fill in for head coach at LSU :p

squicken

A&M would go after Fedora. He is from College Station and wanted the job when it went to Sumlin. It's his "dream job". Obviously his star is brighter now so the boosters would be on-board. Last time all they wanted was Sumlin and really interviewed no one else

Westonian

Ken Niumatalolo rejected BYU and will stay at Navy.

AAC AAC AAC

USA USA USA
Don't know that an offer was made by BYU, but prevailing theory is that Navy preemptively countered with a big raise. Ken is three years away from a full pension from the Academy, which would give him 40% of his salary upon retirement for the rest of his life. That kind of security is hard to walk away from.

Don't know that an offer was made by BYU, but prevailing theory is that Navy preemptively countered with a big raise. Ken is three years away from a full pension from the Academy, which would give him 40% of his salary upon retirement for the rest of his life. That kind of security is hard to walk away from.

I mean, due to BYU religious rules, there are like 5 possible coaches in play it seems like. Ken was clearly the top choice and spent time on-campus this week. An offer was reported. No doubt that Navy probably matched, but "sources" say an offer was made, but rejected.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14384781/ken-niumatalolo-staying-navy-considering-byu

cdyhybrid

Damn. Would be pretty hard to walk away from that.

Draxal

I mean, due to BYU religious rules, there are like 5 possible coaches in play it seems like. Ken was clearly the top choice and spent time on-campus this week. An offer was reported. No doubt that Navy probably matched, but "sources" say an offer was made, but rejected.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14384781/ken-niumatalolo-staying-navy-considering-byu

Honestly, BYU would have been the new Georgia Tech so it's a good thing they didn't go that way as an indie, military academies can get away with it but nobody else.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Heard Liucci on the radio this morning. After talking about how the seeds of Murray possibly leaving were planted back when he was promised that he wouldn't redshirt to get him to commit, he said that if Kyler Murray had committed to Oregon instead of A&M, then A&M would have just gone and picked up Jarrett Stidham instead, and that would have been great because Stidham "was fine with redshirting."

...nevermind the fact that most likely having to redshirt was the final thing that convinced him to decommit from Tech and head to Baylor. Late in Tech's 2014 season we saw the rise of Pat Mahomes, and with both Mahomes and Webb in front of him his chances of not redshirting lowered drastically. Enter Baylor and a situation with no incumbent.

Boo. I hope Strong succeeds at Texas if only to shut those racist boosters up.

I've kind of been rooting for him as well but the thought of both jobs being vacant at the same time is delicious.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Every team in the country is ranked first at something and ranked last at something. These guys figured out what those things were.

Texas Tech: Ranked first in points per game in home games, ranked last in number of plays of 90+ yards conceded in games that were won.

::edit::
A few interesting ones I saw while skimming -

Oklahoma State: Ranked first in number of plays of 70+ yards vs FBS teams with a winning record. YOU'RE WELCOME, GONDO.
Army: Ranked first in average yards per reception, ranked last in receptions.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
FSU is first with points allowed in away games, but last with plays on offense in away games.

It is a strange combination.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Alabama could have a couple of different "bests", while the worst of "First downs against FBS teams with a losing record" sounds stupid, when Alabama has played the fewest amount of fbs teams with a losing record, which is 2 teams.

Has anyone set up a bowl pick 'em yet? If not I'm off work today so I can set one up.

I believe someone already did.

I suggest that a new thread be made, with the pickem in the OP, and a pending title that can be updated via moderator after mre tallys up the season pickem reults. I may make a thread later tonight if no one else does since I think bowl games start in 2 days

Did you read today's Rivals ATS 9.99? It's a real doozy, really damning of Flood. If Ash is even a marginal coach it would be a huge upgrade over Flood.

I think the Rivals writers are letting their anger cloud their judgment. Kyle Flood was a great head coach. However, Rutgers wants the best head coach. Chris Ash is the best head coach.

Urban Meyer understands the greatness of the Rutgers coaching tree. It's why he is stocking up on former Rutgers coaches for his staff.

ryseing

I believe someone already did.

I suggest that a new thread be made, with the pickem in the OP, and a pending title that can be updated via moderator after mre tallys up the season pickem reults. I may make a thread later tonight if no one else does since I think bowl games start in 2 days

Yup they start Saturday. Actually a couple of decent games. Las Vegas Bowl should be interesting.

It's going to be a brawl. BYU-Memphis last year is going to look like a tea party compared to that game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Alabama could have a couple of different "bests", while the worst of "First downs against FBS teams with a losing record" sounds stupid, when Alabama has played the fewest amount of fbs teams with a losing record, which is 2 teams.

Are you saying that I shouldn't take an article which includes a stat like "Number of safeties conceded to an FBS non-power 5 team" seriously?

Top Bottom