• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

Draxal

ESPN says Ole miss ranking for next years class is currently 5th, with 1 x 5 star, 11 x 4 stars already committed, plus 6 more 5 stars considering.

Looking at the above posters, most of the people with a gripe against them doing well in recruiting are from the teams that consistently do well recruiting - Georgia, Ohio St, Bama, Clemson etc.

As an outsider looking in, its like you guys don't like it when other schools try to compete with your traditional powerhouses.

I prefer the opposite, I'll root for the underdog, hence why I like Ole Miss.

Eh, when they reach out to a south carolina player and flip them from Clemson or SCAR, money's involved.

andycapps

It's a team that maybe gets 1 5 star player every couple years, because someone in Mississippi turns out good. All of a sudden, in the same year, gets 3 of the top 15 players, 2 in the top 5. All 3 from out of state (Florida, Georgia, Illinois), that going into the final weeks didn't have Ole Miss on their radar. There was smoke then, and it pissed some people off.

Lot of smoke. Freeze posted on Twitter that if anybody had any allegations to send them in to their compliance dept. Basically put on a brave face and knew that the boosters had covered their tracks well enough through bag men.

It's a team that maybe gets 1 5 star player every couple years, because someone in Mississippi turns out good. All of a sudden, in the same year, gets 3 of the top 15 players, 2 in the top 5. All 3 from out of state (Florida, Georgia, Illinois), that going into the final weeks didn't have Ole Miss on their radar. There was smoke then, and it pissed some people off.

So I can understand that the flipping is annoying, however, I still think it is a bit sour grapes.

These guys flipping are kids, just because they say they are committed doesn't mean much IMO. Not with this generation of teenagers, who are treated like kings before they even graduate high school.

I bet, though I don't know where I could prove the stat, that the rate of flipping has increased steadily every year over the past 20 years.

Its only going to happen more and more, as tv deals increase, and universities look to make even more money off their football teams. The incentive to flip players is only increasing.

andycapps

So I can understand that the flipping is annoying, however, I still think it is a bit sour grapes.

These guys flipping are kids, just because they say they are committed doesn't mean much IMO. Not with this generation of teenagers, who are treated like kings before they even graduate high school.

I bet, though I don't know where I could prove the stat, that the rate of flipping has increased steadily every year over the past 20 years.

Its only going to happen more and more, as tv deals increase, and universities look to make even more money off their football teams. The incentive to flip players is only increasing.

Everybody tries to flip players. Usually only top programs can do so. Ole Miss did several flips of top recruits in one season. I know you're in Australia and I'm trying to figure out some cultural reference here, but I'm not a huge rugby fan and can't bring up some kind of similarity here, but for the EPL this would be the equivalent all the teams having equal salaries, and of Sunderland somehow ending up a top draft class and beating Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc. Obviously they don't recruiting and such, but I'm trying to make a comparison based on standings in respective leagues/conferences. It just doesn't happen.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
But Ole Miss certainly picked the right year to do "something." 2013 so far looks EXTREMELY good, in regards to stars turning into productivity.
2013 top recruits

Robert Nkemdiche
Jaylon Smith
Vernon Hargreaves III
Tunsil
Reuben Foster looks to be the next big Alabama LB
Derrick Henry
Christian Sackenberg
Treadwell
Jalen Ramsey
Jonathan Allen
Chris Jones
A'Shawn Robinson
Joey Bosa
Some guy named Elliot something
Hunter I CATCH EVERYTHING Henry
Tim I SACK EVERYTHING Williams

and probably loads others that I don't know of.

Even perennial All-Everything except on the stat sheet, OJ Howard, was in this class.

But Ole Miss certainly picked the right year to do "something." 2013 so far looks EXTREMELY good, in regards to stars turning into productivity.
2013 top recruits

Robert Nkemdiche
Jaylon Smith
Vernon Hargreaves III
Tunsil
Derrick Henry
Christian Sackenberg
Treadwell
Jalen Ramsey
Jonathan Allen
Chris Jones
A'Shawn Robinson
Joey Bosa

Even perennial All-Everything except on the stat sheet, OJ Howard, was in this class.

Mackenzie Alexander is working out pretty well for us, as well. No one even throws to that side of the field.

So I'm not the only one.

3GnOAB0.png

7ghS9yx.png

Everybody tries to flip players. Usually only top programs can do so. Ole Miss did several flips of top recruits in one season. I know you're in Australia and I'm trying to figure out some cultural reference here, but I'm not a huge rugby fan and can't bring up some kind of similarity here, but for the EPL this would be the equivalent all the teams having equal salaries, and of Sunderland somehow ending up a top draft class and beating Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc. Obviously they don't recruiting and such, but I'm trying to make a comparison based on standings in respective leagues/conferences. It just doesn't happen.

hey mate, I am a Sunderland fan and 1997-99 were some of the best years of the EPL for me. We had a shit budget yet competed with the top teams.

FYI, its kind of like AFL (Aussie rules, not rugby) and there is a salary cap and floor to try and equal out the playing field. However, there has been one team that has won the competition the last three years. People want to play for them because their team is stacked and they can win a premiership there. However, 10 years ago, they were about to fold and go bankrupt. It took some good recruiting to get to where they are now.

My point with Ole Miss is, why do you care so much about them allegedly illegally flipping players? Its not like it has affected Bama, Ohio States and Clemson's chances to win the National Championship. Spread the wealth so to speak, let Ole Miss have some good players and it makes the overall quality of the competition better.

ag-my001

I don't know what Netflix has in Australia, but there is an ESPN doc called Pony Excess that goes into detail how and what goes into shady college recruiting. It's not something you want spreading, even if it's "not really hurting the big schools".

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So I'm not the only one.

3GnOAB0.png

7ghS9yx.png
If McCafferey had more TDs, it probably wouldn't have been close. Unfortunately for him he didn't score very many TDs, which gave the racist media an excuse to exercise their bias against white players, giving the Heisman to Henry.

I don't know what Netflix has in Australia, but there is an ESPN doc called Pony Excess that goes into detail how and what goes into shady college recruiting. It's not something you want spreading, even if it's "not really hurting the big schools".

yeah Ive seen it.

However, did you see Henry's watch? No doubt Bama gave him that gift....

Cam Newton at Auburn etc.

Its like the Big Schools only hate shady recruiting when its not them being scrutinised.

My point with Ole Miss is, why do you care so much about them allegedly illegally flipping players? Its not like it has affected Bama, Ohio States and Clemson's chances to win the National Championship. Spread the wealth so to speak, let Ole Miss have some good players and it makes the overall quality of the competition better.

oNObxMf.gif

cashman

Banned
2013 top recruits

Robert Nkemdiche
Jaylon Smith
Vernon Hargreaves III
Tunsil
Derrick Henry
Christian Sackenberg
Treadwell
Jalen Ramsey
Jonathan Allen
Chris Jones
A'Shawn Robinson
Joey Bosa

Texas actually took a 30 player class in 2012 and as a result had to make this one smaller. They ended up taking 15 players, 6 of whom are still on the team.

andycapps

Cochran is staying at Bama. Shame, but I think the main thing is to give our guy Hocke (if Smart keeps him) whatever he needs to do what Cochran is doing at Bama. I'm assuming it's everything.. The facilities, the shape that the coaches want them to be in, Cochran and his support staff being able to get them in that shape,
deer antler spray
, etc.

If Smart doesn't want Hocke to return, he could try to get Ryan Goldin from GATA Training in Atlanta. They train MLB players, NFL players, and get college players ready for the NFL draft. But heck, it's worth a shot to ask.

Silkworm

NCAA can start prepping Florida for an investigation, for stealing a kicker.

Pineiro or bust! ;-) Though he's only decommitted so maybe it's all just an elaborate troll and he recommits to Bama (or heaven forbid FSU). Besides, Bama looks set at the kicker position, so throw us a bone (have you seen Hardin "kick" a FG?) :-D

Eason would be a very nice pickup for the Gators as well but in case that doesn't happen at least Coach Mac got a good one in Franks who he flipped from LSU.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
what, one more year of a kicker that only just now might be ok, just to start the search over again. Nope.

FyreWulff

Sometimes I'm still amazed that Nebraska has like 3 different families of kickers that keep sending their kids to the school.

Still miss Alex Henery though. Goddamn. If we only had an actual offense while he was around..

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Pineiro or bust! ;-) Though he's only decommitted so maybe it's all just an elaborate troll and he recommits to Bama (or heaven forbid FSU).
We offered another kicker a spot as a preferred walk on yesterday. He's going to UF.

andycapps

Pineiro or bust! ;-) Though he's only decommitted so maybe it's all just an elaborate troll and he recommits to Bama (or heaven forbid FSU). Besides, Bama looks set at the kicker position, so throw us a bone (have you seen Hardin "kick" a FG?) :-D

Eason would be a very nice pickup for the Gators as well but in case that doesn't happen at least Coach Mac got a good one in Franks who he flipped from LSU.

If Eason goes to Florida I'd be surprised. Aside from being so close to all the other committments and the current UGA team, he's more familiar with Athens than Jacksonville. Also, competition.. Harris is there, Grier will be back midseason, Franks is already committed, and another 3 star QB is also committed. At UGA he's got Lambert and Ramsey ahead of him, that's it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If Eason goes to Florida I'd be surprised. Aside from being so close to all the other committments and the current UGA team, he's more familiar with Athens than Jacksonville. Also, competition.. Harris is there, Grier will be back midseason, Franks is already committed, and another 3 star QB is also committed. At UGA he's got Lambert and Ramsey ahead of him, that's it.

I know being a Dawg fan you have fortunately never had to go to Gainesville, but you should know that Gainesville and Jacksonville are two quite different places. Jacksonville is large and kind of miserable. Gainesville is small and kind of miserable.

andycapps

I know being a Dawg fan you have fortunately never had to go to Gainesville, but you should know that Gainesville and Jacksonville are two quite different places. Jacksonville is large and kind of miserable. Gainesville is small and kind of miserable.

Oops, still drinking coffee. Had Jacksonville on my mind since UGA plays them there and will be going to the bowl game there. We'll also be without our head coach, offensive coordinator, and defensive coordinator. In fact, nobody knows who will be calling the offense or defense. Should be fun!

andycapps

Ol' Bert caught feelings about his OL coach leaving for UGA.

Early in the 2015 season, Hogs fans missed Chaney’s play calling, but as the season progressed, Dan Enos’ methods won over many. Losing Pittman, though, hits Bret Bielema and Co. hard. The beloved line coach was an integral piece of the Razorbacks’ rebuild.

“I think when you’re dealing with 19-, 20- and 21-year-old kids, they’re going to be emotional,” Bielema said after the last-ditch effort of loading up the offensive line and showing up on Pittman’s doorstep failed. “Some were mad, sad, sad then mad. It’s a part of the job no one wants to talk about, and Sam, because of the way he recruits and the way he handles people — until this matter — had been very personal

“This one took place within the conference, and I just wanted Sam to address the linemen as to why this was happening,” Bielema said Saturday. “I thought that was the last thing he could do, and he didn’t want to do that, so I just took them to him.”

Those comments did not sit well with Pittman, and he took to Twitter to refute them.

I had a meeting set for 10:30am today to talk to my guys. They came to see me last night at home never said I wouldn’t meet them not true

— Coach Sam Pittman (@CoachSamPittman) December 13, 2015

Pittman has a good reputation for developing linemen, which leads us to Long’s win. Long’s insistence on Enos’ non-compete clause is the reason we are talking about losing only a line coach and not an OC. Bielema saw up close and personal how that kind of clause can prevent headache, heartache and a lot of hurt feelings.

“(Pittman) kind of always made the comment that, ‘You don’t have to worry about me going. You can set the buyout wherever you want it,’ ” Bielema said. “I just believed it, and obviously it didn’t come true.”

Silkworm

Congrats, UGA, you held on to Eason. I wish Eason and the Bulldogs nothing but heartache and loses and a very bumpy road for new head coach Smart, but I'm sure Bulldog fans wish the same for the Gators :-D College football rivalry is fun and I'm looking forward to more epic battles between Florida and Georgia in the coming years for control of the SEC East (Tennessee you're welcome to join if you can figure out how to do so) :) If you ain't a Gator, you're gatorbait ;-) Go Gatas!

Lunar15

There was never much of a chance of us landing Eason. It was just "status pending" until all the coaching stuff settled down at UGA. There's like a .02% chance he'll flip at this point, but it's super unlikely. The fact that he said he's going to announce tomorrow rather than decomitting first is pretty telling.

I'm way more excited about that kicker at this point.

Silkworm

There was never much of a chance of us landing Eason. It was just "status pending" until all the coaching stuff settled down at UGA.

It's cool we flipped Franks though. Interested to see where that leads.

Maybe, maybe not. I think Coach Mac had the ability to flip Eason but obviously it was a long road to hoe since he got in on Eason so late so it didn't work out this time.

With Franks (thankgoodness he's an EE) and Del Rio and hopefully Grier next year (please don't transfer!), that will hopefully solve some of the QB woes. And who knows, maybe with the offseason Harris turns it around (yeah I know, that's a loooooooong shot). Trask also should be a good one but at least he can redshirt and get better and be ready to fight for a starting position when the time is right (I think he's a diamond in the rough that Mac and Nuss can mold into a very capable QB given time).

edit: I'm also very excited about Pineiro. Hopefully he'll commit to the Gators soon *fingers crossed* Gators with an actual competent FG kicking game!? Whodathunk it? :-D

Would have loved to swoop in and steal Eason, but I'm glad we flipped Franks.

I don't think Franks has any immediate impact like Eason might have had, but the future at QB is certainly much brighter than it was this season.

El_Chino

Congrats, UGA, you held on to Eason. I wish Eason and the Bulldogs nothing but heartache and loses and a very bumpy road for new head coach Smart, but I'm sure Bulldog fans wish the same for the Gators :-D College football rivalry is fun and I'm looking forward to more epic battles between Florida and Georgia in the coming years for control of the SEC East (Tennessee you're welcome to join if you can figure out how to do so) :) If you ain't a Gator, you're gatorbait ;-) Go Gatas!
I saw somewhere on 247 that he was afraid to flip because he didn't want to disappoint his fellow commits at UGA. I'd say that's pretty brave to hang your future in the balance because of that. Let's face it, most of the coaches that recruited him aren't there anymore. I really do wish him but the best, I just got a whiff about Driskel 2.0 about this.

andycapps

The feeling is mutual for the Gatas! ;p Glad UGA held onto him because we really needed him. Don't think the Gatas had the same need at the position. I'd actually like UGA to get another QB in the class as well.

Top Bottom