• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! August l OT l So what's new with comics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I don't read Invicible, but it's always fun to see post-pregnant Atom Eve. I can't remember the last time I've seen a non-supermodel/skinny superheroine.

tumblr_m806i59cQI1rba2tuo1_1280.jpg

I picked up the last issue and I was shocked as hell. She was looking a little thick. I stopped reading after the invasion.

-Mikey-

Looking forward to Godzilla, Rocketeer and Hawkeye this month. Hoping that Hawkeye doesn't get cancelled after 8 issues.

The new GL is a Muslim, to DC that means he needs a gun.

...I'm at a total loss for words with reasoning like that. Though I find the tattoo glowing kinda neat.

im laughing because the gun isnt even a construct from the ring

like its seriously just a gun

Same! It was like... It's GL, he can construct some badass looking gun and yet, he has some dinky pistol instead. I'm chalking it up to this dude having not much of an imagination in favor of being 'real'.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
In my attempt to come back to the weekly comic thing, which I dropped a few months ago due to being an overly expensive hobby, I have culled my pull list to the following:

DC:
Batman
Catwoman
I, Vampire
Supergirl
Swamp Thing

Marvel:
Amazing Spider-Man
Avengers vs. X-Men
Captain Marvel
Daredevil
Secret Avengers
Winter Soldier

Undecided:
Justice League
Aquaman

Hopefully this will prevent me from spending $30 a week like I used to, although I have a feeling Marvel NOW is going to throw this entire plan into turmoil.

JeTmAn81

Chunky Atom Eve is the best. I've just noticed that the latest Invincible trade paperback is out. I need to pick that up.

Hopefully this will prevent me from spending $30 a week like I used to, although I have a feeling Marvel NOW is going to throw this entire plan into turmoil.

I currently have around 35 titles on my pull-list, which is too much but I'm having a really hard time trimming it.

Of the Big Three publishers, Marvel is the one with the least amount of books on my list. So yeah, I am terrified of Marvel NOW. It could very well put me into bankruptcy.

Garryk

In my attempt to come back to the weekly comic thing, which I dropped a few months ago due to being an overly expensive hobby, I have culled my pull list to the following:

DC:
Batman
Catwoman
I, Vampire
Supergirl
Swamp Thing

Marvel:
Amazing Spider-Man
Avengers vs. X-Men
Captain Marvel
Daredevil
Secret Avengers
Winter Soldier

Undecided:
Justice League
Aquaman

If you read Swamp Thing you will need Animal Man #12 and #17 for the Rotworld prologue and epilogue.

ReiGun

of all the characters in your library, let's give fucking Gambit an ongoing.

People like him, man. I don't get it myself, but then I was like the only kid who watched the 90's X-Men show and liked Cyclops the best. So what do I know about these muties?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I don't read Invicible, but it's always fun to see post-pregnant Atom Eve. I can't remember the last time I've seen a non-supermodel/skinny superheroine.
I've only read the first Ultimate Collection of Invincible and keep meaning to pick up the other hardcovers. It's crazy to see how much this series has evolved.

Nesotenso

People like him, man. I don't get it myself, but then I was like the only kid who watched the 90's X-Men show and liked Cyclops the best. So what do I know about these muties?

Cyclops is my fave as well and I know Gambit has vocal fans but ongoing? Black Panther ? Iron Fist ? Black Widow ? There are far more deserving and interesting characters. I like Asmus but I am not getting a Gambit book.

In good news, the Hawkeye book looks good.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
My theory is that Gambit is just a lot more likable in cartoon form because the faux French gibberish comes across better verbally than when written. I liked the character a lot in the cartoon, and don't mind him in comics, but reading the accented dialog always felt a lot more hokey. Same with Rogue saying "Ah" instead of "I" every damn sentence. Accents can sound badass but written approximations often look really dumb to me.

Cyclops is my fave as well and I know Gambit has vocal fans but ongoing? Black Panther ? Iron Fist ? Black Widow ? There are far more deserving and interesting characters. I like Asmus but I am not getting a Gambit book.

Alright, Black Panther does deserve one more, I'll give you that. But reading the interviews makes me rather excited for what Asmus will do to Gambit.

And speaking of accents, he's actually lived in Louisiana so he doesn't have to guess what a Cajun sounds like.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Alright, Black Panther does deserve one more, I'll give you that. But reading the interviews makes me rather excited for what Asmus will do to Gambit.

And speaking of accents, he's actually lived in Louisiana so he doesn't have to guess what a Cajun sounds like.

he shouldnt have lost the one he had, which was awesome. but i think giving relative unknowns ongoings are a good thing. id love to see a morbius: agent of armor ongoing as well as a blue marvel one.

ReiGun

I would have read a Black Widow ongoing. I liked her in the movie and in the appearances I've seen in other books, but I don't know much about her.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Another grating example was when reading through Ultimate X-Men and it being immediately apparent another writer took over when Nightcrawler went fullblown "Ich"...and they started throwing other random German words in every damn speech bubble where it was a lot more toned down in all the books before that. It's indeed worse when you yourself speak enough of those languages to see the writer is just hitting up Google Translate in an attempt to add some color to the dialog.

he shouldnt have lost the one he had, which was awesome. but i think giving relative unknowns ongoings are a good thing. id love to see a morbius: agent of armor ongoing as well as a blue marvel one.

Agreed on all counts.

The bar is set extremely low. French is my first language and I am pretty sure I never read Gambit dialogue that didn't have grammar or syntax errors.

Hopefully Asmus does a better job of that. He's also focusing on the thief side more "Indiana Jones meets Mission Impossible," so there's that (and he responded to me in a tweet that he'd just started watching White Collar - even better, IMO).

I would have read a Black Widow ongoing. I liked her in the movie and in the appearances I've seen in other books, but I don't know much about her.

This. Some time in the limelight wouldn't be terrible.

To change the subject slightly:

Captain Marvel #3 Preview

Yeah, issue 2 isn't even out yet, but still! I'm not going to give a judgment until I can get my hands on issue 2, but what I'm hoping is that they really set Carol up as someone big in the MU.

gonna catch up on scalped!

Only way Gambit could be more one note and shallow is if he had been created by Chuck Austen and drawn by Frank Quietly.

*drops the mic*
LOL

man that series Daniel Acuna and Marjorie Liu started was really good.
then they were gone :/

ElNarez

Banned
The new GL is a Muslim, to DC that means he needs a gun.

I hope you don't mind me calling you son because shit, son, the way the Guardians have been trying to fuck the universe sideways for their own gain, I'm not gonna trust the ring they gave me and presumably have full control over. Of course I'm gonna be packing heat. At this point you'd be mad not to.

Owzers

I hope you don't mind me calling you son because shit, son, the way the Guardians have been trying to fuck the universe sideways for their own gain, I'm not gonna trust the ring they gave me and presumably have full control over. Of course I'm gonna be packing heat. At this point you'd be mad not to.

never a bad time to post this image from Green Lantern Corps #5 of the new 52.

glcorps5-2.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
that hawkeye comic might be alright... we're about due for a decent cape title.

but fuck all that avx noise, the REAL highlight this month is LOCKE AND KEY: GRINDHOUSE - a one shot from the best comic going on today. so hype.

locke_lg.jpg

Awesome, I can't get enough Locke & Key.

Owzers

Of course you fail to mention they had guns because the foe they were going up against was immune to the energy from their rings.

The new green lantern carries a gun in case his ring loses power, they are playing it up on the cover, it will probably be holstered most of the time.

Slayven

The Guardians have always sucked, 99 percent of their choices are wrong and end up making up the vast amount of their problems.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Uh-oh, did they allow Adams to write something else? Did no-one read Batman Oddyysseeyy?

Hmm, Hawkeye could be good.

I don't think he's writing it.

I met Adams at Denver Comic Con, wanted so badly to tell him how bad Batman Odyssey was, but I just smiled and said "I love your art"

Pretty awesome comic book day tomorrow:

DC
ACTION COMICS #12
ANIMAL MAN #12
SWAMP THING #12

THIEF OF THIEVES #7

Marvel
AVENGERS VS X-MEN #9
DAREDEVIL #16
DEADPOOL KILLS MARVEL UNIVERSE #1
HAWKEYE #1

Oni
COURTNEY CRUMRIN ONGOING #4

Boom!
HIGHER EARTH #3
HYPERNATURALS #2

Dynamite
WARLORD OF MARS #20

Owzers

how is Swamp Thing in the 52? for some reason i've been ignoring it

Good but slow, much like Animal Man, though i like Swamp Thing a bit more. It's going to be a combo meal soon though since they are coming together for Rotworld.

Separate topic: Winter Soldier, from the first four issues i've read, is more of a Bucky book with some Black Widow team-up, not a quasi black widow ongoing.

Isak_Borg

I had really low expectations for Hawkeye since I don't really enjoy any of fractions books but man it was a fucking blast. if ultimate spidey wasn't coming out this week would be my pick of the week.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Separate topic: Winter Soldier, from the first four issues i've read, is more of a Bucky book with some Black Widow team-up, not a quasi black widow ongoing.

Yeah but she's practically in every single shot, and her story is arguably just as important to the overall plot.

Garryk

I find Swamp Thing to be an incredibly fast, but satisfying read. This is probably Snyder's least wordy book, but man dat art really makes up for it.

Salsa

Arguably the best New 52 book along with Batman (both written by Scott Snyder).

you know ive heard this before (while ive also heard almost the exact opposite, but that's expected), and I have been really enjoying Batman and re-reading Snyder stuff. Gonna give it a shot

you know ive heard this before (while ive also heard almost the exact opposite, but that's expected), and I have been really enjoying Batman and re-reading Snyder stuff. Gonna give it a shot

If you like a side of horror with your superhero meal, you should be pleased.

that hawkeye comic might be alright... we're about due for a decent cape title.

but fuck all that avx noise, the REAL highlight this month is LOCKE AND KEY: GRINDHOUSE - a one shot from the best comic going on today. so hype.

locke_lg.jpg

I had no idea this was coming out this month! :D Locke & Key honestly is one of the best books on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom