• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! August l OT l So what's new with comics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah those are the patented Marvel style photo backgrounds. At least Larocca isn't drawing it or the humans would all look like they swallowed a whole bag of Sour Patch Kids.
It's not like Cassaday can't draw the fuck out of some buildings. That astonishing x-men bullet through NYC was some god level shit.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I haven't even finished reading it and Wolverine and the X-Men is already my favorite book this week.
Charm all around.

Oh man, so good. Fucking love this book. Despite all the ostensible seriousness of AvX, this book always manages to be fun and heartfelt. It's impressive to juggle such a large roster of characters and give them great developmental moments all throughout. Also, Krakoa is a smooth ass pimp of a hill-monster-thing.

Owzers

Little mixed on Winter Soldier, didn't really like the first arc, thought it was all over the place and that Brubaker didn't really write an interesting doom, more like a doom caricature. Issue #6 was a little better. Maybe Brubaker is a little burnt out of cap/bucky/cape books.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's not like Cassaday can't draw the fuck out of some buildings. That astonishing x-men bullet through NYC was some god level shit.

Shit son, do you want 4 issues of Cassiday a year or not? Cause if he has to draw all the buildings too, we're looking at 16 pages a year if we're lucky.

I remember being faintly disgusted at the giant sentinel thing at the start of his AXM run, he drew the thing one and then was copy-pasting it for the rest of the scene.

tim1138

I'm not acting like you're trolling. I have no clue what you mean and I'm just saying "hey we're enjoying this"

I'd rather have some overall positivity in this thread. You've already stated your google eye thing. Is it ok if we discuss it without reminders of how bad it is?

This is my whole problem with this thread now. I'm not saying don't have negative comments. I'm saying don't feel the need to point it out when people are enjoying something.

Monte Cook just had a thing on this topic for August to combat the incessant negativity online.

Agreed, the overwhelming negativity towards anything DC related is why I barely post in the comics threads anymore. Gets so old so fast.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that Rick Remender is leaving Uncanny X-Force. I'm getting more excited for Uncanny Avengers though after seeing John Cassaday's art. Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing AXM run was even stronger than Remender's run on UXF, and that's saying alot. Anyway, I'm finding it more and more intriguing that Remender is moving up to what is basically looking like Marvel's new flagship title. He's always worked intricate continuity from the marvel universe and spun it into very entertaining and digestible stories. Many great runs on X-men like Whedon and Morrison have kind of ignored the consistent presence history/continuity of the greater marvel universe. I'm really interested to see how Remender will perform now that he's front and center and his decisions in writing will probably have a ripple effect on other titles instead of just existing in their own little pocket like UXF. I think this is the right decision in the long run, especially if he ends UXF with a bang.

Owzers

Comixology sale: Marvel's Siege event. I recommend checking out the main 4 issue event if you're at all curious. While I had a lot of problems with it, for $4 you might as well check it out for yourself. Skip all the tie-ins though.

potw_siege1.jpg%3Fw%3D580

Are any of the older Valiant stuff worth checking out?

NeonZ

Kingdom Come already used a few of those ideas, IIRC.

Aside from the whole idea of a "bad future" to the DC Universe, Kingdom Come is completely different from Twilight. Twilight basically has all major heroes becoming villains who control the world in the future and lead it to endless political strife and tension, completely losing sight of their original goals, while Kingdom Come merely has them retiring and letting a new violent generation take over, before coming back to control the situation.

Anyway, I can't see DC ever going with the Twilight proposal as it was, it's just destructive to almost every single one of its characters aside from Batman himself, Constantine and a few others. Even the Titans are portrayed as fairly heartless, to the point that Dick/Batman here is actually darker than Bruce. Even taking some basic points from it seems fairly dangerous unless they write off everyone as possessed by Parallax or something similarly silly.

Comixology sale: Marvel's Siege event. I recommend checking out the main 4 issue event if you're at all curious. While I had a lot of problems with it, for $4 you might as well check it out for yourself. Skip all the tie-ins though.

Except for that Ben Urich one, Pulse or something. Chris Samnee all OVER that shit.

Owzers

Except for that Ben Urich one, Pulse or something. Chris Samnee all OVER that shit.

Like the Republican party, i'm not for any exceptions.

except.....maybe Siege The Cabal one-shot that opened up the event. That Pulsey one is Siege Embedded 4 issue mini, i never checked it out due to my bitterness over having bought that ground level Civil War miniseries

boinx

Aside from the whole idea of a "bad future" to the DC Universe, Kingdom Come is completely different from Twilight. Twilight basically has all major heroes becoming villains who control the world in the future and lead it to endless political strife and tension, completely losing sight of their original goals, while Kingdom Come merely has them retiring and letting a new violent generation take over, before coming back to control the situation.

Anyway, I can't see DC ever going with the Twilight proposal as it was, it's just destructive to almost every single one of its characters aside from Batman himself, Constantine and a few others. Even the Titans are portrayed as fairly heartless, to the point that Dick/Batman here is actually darker than Bruce. Even taking some basic points from it seems fairly dangerous unless they write off everyone as possessed by Parallax or something similarly silly.

I would't mind seeing this story happen in an Elseworlds book

I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that Rick Remender is leaving Uncanny X-Force. I'm getting more excited for Uncanny Avengers though after seeing John Cassaday's art. Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing AXM run was even stronger than Remender's run on UXF, and that's saying alot. Anyway, I'm finding it more and more intriguing that Remender is moving up to what is basically looking like Marvel's new flagship title. He's always worked intricate continuity from the marvel universe and spun it into very entertaining and digestible stories. Many great runs on X-men like Whedon and Morrison have kind of ignored the consistent presence history/continuity of the greater marvel universe. I'm really interested to see how Remender will perform now that he's front and center and his decisions in writing will probably have a ripple effect on other titles instead of just existing in their own little pocket like UXF. I think this is the right decision in the long run, especially if he ends UXF with a bang.

Yeah, he's really been on a roll lately. He took Fantomex from "Who the hell is this guy?" to my favorite character of X-force. He reshaped Venom into more than the kind of villain kind of anti-hero he's been since his inception.

Verdict is still out on his Secret Avengers though. Seems promising but we'll see.

bro1

Banned

potw_siege1.jpg%3Fw%3D580

Are any of the older Valiant stuff worth checking out?

except for Dark Avengers. That was amazing

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I just read through the whole pitch and holy shit, despite him apologizing for possible rambling and not having all the quirks worked out, the story seemed entirely coherent and fucking good. I really liked the bits about allowing the event to either invade other comics or be ignored because, for my money, it seems that events just get shoehorned across as many books as possible for the hell of it. Cool stuff--thanks for posting this. Never knew anything about the event before.

Tizoc

Isn't that Alan Moore Twilight of the Superheroes, involve Billy Baston being sexually assaulted and such?

Anyways, this week I enjoyed:
TMNT: April- A little fast paced, but it's interesting to see that the what goes on in the labds sometimes after April's working hours. ...and what's the name of
that spikey turtle at the end? I recall him appearing i the 80s cartoon, but his name escapes me

The Goon 41: Alright we're back on track! Really good issue focusing on
The Priest

GL Annual: Uh did I miss an issue or something? When did Black Hand take down Hal and Sinestro? ...and why am I VAUGELY remembering the events of the previous issue, ugh.

FF 21: Blackbolt being a badass is always a treat but I wonder if
he gave up his sight? ...and poor Spidey

So...Red She-Hulk...they couldn't come up with a better name for the character? For that matter, Jeff Parker should write a She Hulk series.
Regardless...thanks for the good Red Hulk stories Jeff, they were awesome *MGS Salute*

Before Watchmen: Minutemen 3: It was good overall, and I liked how Blake tried to reconcile with the team but it all went South.

Oh and why the hell did they get Steve Dillon to draw this issue of Avenging Spidey? Seriously I couldn't help but find all the faces the same =_=

NawidA

Banned
I'm not acting like you're trolling. I have no clue what you mean and I'm just saying "hey we're enjoying this"

I'd rather have some overall positivity in this thread. You've already stated your google eye thing. Is it ok if we discuss it without reminders of how bad it is?

This is my whole problem with this thread now. I'm not saying don't have negative comments. I'm saying don't feel the need to point it out when people are enjoying something.

Monte Cook just had a thing on this topic for August to combat the incessant negativity online.
What the fuck. BB is one of the most positive cats around. Don't get mad when he calls it like it is.

Usually when I hear people accuse others of corporate bias they are projecting themselves onto others.

What the fuck. BB is one of the most positive cats around. Don't get mad when he calls it like it is.

Usually when I hear people accuse others of corporate bias they are projecting themselves onto others.

No mention of corporate bias was made. So read the post again and reply like you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom