• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! August l OT l So what's new with comics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Beechen gets a lot of flak but his fill-in issues were really, really fun.

They weren't bad or anything, they were fine, but the series totally lost track of the overall arc, which IIRC disappeared for several issues and then ended up an afterthought in the finale. It just contributed to a rudderless ship, with all one-offs. Single issue adventures are fine if they keep being really inventive, but it started feeling samey. There was a sense of wonder when the book started, but by the end it was sorta lost. I don't blame Beechen, it was a combination of many things. Given the circumstances he was presumably given, I'd say he did well himself. I seem to recall a lot of solicitation switch-ups.

tim1138

Was anyone actually reading JLI on a monthly basis? If so, does Skeets not exist in the New 52?

Someone asked earlier about the other GL books, I read all of them and enjoy NG more than GLC. GLC isn't bad, but I'm a big fan of Kyle and the other Lantern Corps.

Effect

Anyone know how well Marvel's comic app (is it still through comixology) has been doing? Are the digital issues released the same day as the physical copy? Difference in price? How about DC and Dark Horse?

Anyone know how well Marvel's comic app (is it still through comixology) has been doing? Are the digital issues released the same day as the physical copy? Difference in price? How about DC and Dark Horse?

Same pricing (BOOOO!!) most stuff available day and date.

DC is the best, as they drop by $1 after a month. Wish I liked their books more.

Dark Horse has their own non-Comixology app that is GARBAGE, UI-wise. Good prices but not worth it if you ask me. Shittiest comic reader out there. Sadly, with BPRD they have the best actual comics out there. Irony.

I'm totally a mix bag on the New52, some of it is awesome, some of it not so much. GLA#1 was damn good stuff though. Really interested in seeing where this goes and if
Hal and Sinestro stay dead.....lol yeah right.

Garryk

DC Dark is the best thing about the New 52. I pretty much consider Batman and WW to be under the Dark line as far as tone goes. I'm bummed that Superman isn't getting as much love as Batman. I really like Action, but the Superman ongoing is a revolving door for creative teams. I'm curious about the rumored Man of Steel title by Scott Snyder and Jim Lee though.

Blader

I've been out of the Marvel loop for a long while now. I've basically only been reading Hickman's work and Avenging Spider-Man. What are some good books/runs that Marvel has put out in the last year or two? So far I've got Slott's Spider-Man (I jumped off the book right when it shifted from Brand New Day to Big Time) and Waid's Daredevil on my list.

Also, not interested in anything by Bendis or Fraction.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Ah shit!

avx12teaserjpg-9d88e1_640w.jpg

oh god please

please control your self

Garryk

I've been out of the Marvel loop for a long while now. I've basically only been reading Hickman's work and Avenging Spider-Man. What are some good books/runs that Marvel has put out in the last year or two? So far I've got Slott's Spider-Man (I jumped off the book right when it shifted from Brand New Day to Big Time) and Waid's Daredevil on my list.

But Fraction's Hawkeye is awesome....after one issue.

Go read Remender's runs on Venom and Uncanny X-Force, Aaron's non-AvX Wolverine and the X-Men, and Gillen's Journey into Mystery.

Nesotenso

Uncanny X-force

Wolverine & The X-Men and Journey into Mystery are essential.

And if you're ever gonna get over your Fraction issues, Defenders is great too.

DC Dark is the best thing about the New 52. I pretty much consider Batman and WW to be under the Dark line as far as tone goes. I'm bummed that Superman isn't getting as much love as Batman. I really like Action, but the Superman ongoing is a revolving door for creative teams. I'm curious about the rumored Man of Steel title by Scott Snyder and Jim Lee though.

I can see putting Batman and WW in the dark line kind of. The reboot I think has been worst on the Super family of books. I'm the opposite really don't like Action at all. I feel like this rebooted Superman is just a carboard cut out of a character. I would be all over a Synder take on it though!

Troll

Banned
I can see putting Batman and WW in the dark line kind of. The reboot I think has been worst on the Super family of books. I'm the opposite really don't like Action at all. I feel like this rebooted Superman is just a carboard cut out of a character. I would be all over a Synder take on it though!

Man, this new Superman run is hard to read. Same thing every issue, fight a monster, Daily Planet covers it rise and repeat. I am only four or five issues in but still!

I need to read my backlog of books. I stopped after the #2 issues of Batman, JL, Aquamang, Catwoman, Flash for whatever reason. I have all the rest of the books just sitting there, waiting to be read. ;__;

Also, I'm thinking of starting on the Avengers vs X-Men book...

Troll

Banned
I need to read my backlog of books. I stopped after the #2 issues of Batman, JL, Aquamang, Catwoman, Flash for whatever reason. I have all the rest of the books just sitting there, waiting to be read. ;__;

Batman is good, JL is average, Catwoman is lol, Flash sort of sucked imo.

Has AVX been spoiled at all for you?

This is Marvel's current holy trinity as far as I'm concerned: Gambit, Hawkeye, and Wolverine and the X-Men. Gambit is surprisingly not cheesy and stupid like the character has been since, idk, 1991.

Hawkeye has only done 1 issue, but it was amazing and I have trust in the same creative team that brought us one of the best series of all time. It's by Fraction but it's nothing like his godawful Uncanny X-Men fanfiction or his boring ass Iron Man.

Bachalo is probably on some Marvel NOW book, same thing with Ryan Stegman. In fact, Ryan Stegman might even be drawing ASM when it inevitably relaunches in January.

WATXM stopped being about that shitty event and went back to doing what it did best, focusing on all it's interesting, disparate characters and their dynamics with each other.

WATXM stopped being about that shitty event and went back to doing what it did best, focusing on all it's interesting, disparate characters and their dynamics with each other.
One of the few times I didn't find Hope completely unlikable, it had tons of character moments, just excellent stuff all-around.

Jason Aaron is on some next level shit. Also dat art! Me liked it.

This is Marvel's current holy trinity as far as I'm concerned: Gambit, Hawkeye, and Wolverine and the X-Men. Gambit is surprisingly not cheesy and stupid like the character has been since, idk, 1991.

Hawkeye has only done 1 issue, but it was amazing and I have trust in the same creative team that brought us one of the best series of all time. It's by Fraction but it's nothing like his godawful Uncanny X-Men fanfiction or his boring ass Iron Man.

Gambit needs an inker before I even look at it. I've heard it's good, but that weak-butt digitally inked pencil style does not work for that artist.

I think I figured out the thought process behind The Third Army design in the Green Lantern Annual.

"What about, stay with me. You know that white piece of dog shit they make Brennan lick in Step Brothers? What if we slapped a pair of googly eyes on that?"

So awful. I feel so bad for reading it. And just so people don't think I'm cynically "trolling" the book. That's one concrete reason, aesthetically terrible character design.

Another is that by splitting everyone out into their own books, it's robbed this "big tentpole issue" of the power that the big Sinestro Corps Special had because it's just Hal and Sinestro, as opposed to them and a whole bunch of lanterns.

Really a shame. GL: Rebirth is what got me back into DC Comics.

WAT?! I would read that.

tm24

Its like they saw the OMAC design and decided to make it suck. Also, I hate how Johns more or less sets up how the army will lost. Way to be on the nose Johns

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

So you've been buying these books for a year but haven't read them? Congratulations, you have officially beaten the addiction. Quick, throw them in the bin and never look back. Take up a sport or something, save yourself while you still can!

Batman is good, JL is average, Catwoman is lol, Flash sort of sucked imo.

Has AVX been spoiled at all for you?

The milk of AvX had spoiled before it even left the cow.

Spoilers! They spend 12 issues doing something they could have done in three! Spoilers! Badly drawn people punch each other! Spoilers! Cyclops is a dick!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Spoilers! Oliver Copiel is a bad artist all of a sudden? lol ok

Not his best work, too few issues. The art is not good, despite the quality of the artists. The JRJR stuff was embarrassing, Coipel was ok but bland and the recent Kubert stuff has been bad Kubert (and I love both of them).

So you've been buying these books for a year but haven't read them? Congratulations, you have officially beaten the addiction. Quick, throw them in the bin and never look back. Take up a sport or something, save yourself while you still can!

I still haven't read any of my Batwomans, just read through #3-10 of Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batman, Wonder Woman, Legion,Spiderman #675-691, and Xfactor #230- 242.

its been fun. need to go more digital though :/

I need to go to the shop and grab Green Lantern and Flash #6-12 I guess.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Bachalo is probably on some Marvel NOW book, same thing with Ryan Stegman. In fact, Ryan Stegman might even be drawing ASM when it inevitably relaunches in January.

Hnnnnnnnnnngh. Don't say such things, they excite the blood. Stegman on WatXM would be better though.

Actually speaking those names in unison, some of Bachalo's best work was on Spider-Man. Some really fun splashes and great page designs:
lIV0N.jpg

if you'll excuse the photoshop filtered background image photo in this example.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I remember specifically on SHED that his art seemed ratchet'd up to 11. Maybe he'd been given more time on that deadline or something even though several issues were upsettingly half and halfs :(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Venom and X-Force have been pretty good. Venom is actually having a cross-over with Scarlet Spider next month.

It was an Emma Rios half, so it's not the worst thing in the world!

That's one of the better things about Steve Wacker. Not only is he a coordinating machine(got all of DC's 52 out on a weekly basis, had ASM coming out almost 3 times a month every month for 3 years, coordinated the entire Spider-Island event and tie-ins, etc), but he takes a lot of chances on art choices, and they usually pay off. BND introduced me to Emma Rios, Paolo Rivera, Marcos Martin, Max Fiumara, Eric Canete, not to mention Romita Jr with Dean White coloring, and the aforementioned Chris Bachalo. Now we got Humberto Ramos...you wouldn't have seen any of these guys and gals on ASM without Wacker.

Pie and Beans

Bachalo on Venom or Scarlet Spider would be my fave outcome I think. A Bachalo and Stegman dreamteam on the Spider Family *swoon*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom