• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! August l OT l So what's new with comics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been out of the Marvel loop for a long while now. I've basically only been reading Hickman's work and Avenging Spider-Man. What are some good books/runs that Marvel has put out in the last year or two? So far I've got Slott's Spider-Man (I jumped off the book right when it shifted from Brand New Day to Big Time) and Waid's Daredevil on my list.

Also, not interested in anything by Bendis or Fraction.
Read Defenders anyway.

It's one of my favorite Marvel books out.

HAVOK CIRCLES

uncanny-avengers-1-2-ink.jpg
I wonder what the deal is there... is Havok attacking Cap, or springboarding him with his powers?

This sounded awesome.

From the annals of “Oh, What Might’ve Been” comes this doozy, courtesy of Brian Michael Bendis: art from Phil Jimenez ‘s pitch for a Justice League/Transformers crossover that, for some reason, never came about.

“Oh, what an epic that would have been,” Jimenez wrote last night on Twitter, saying to one follower, “You missed out on Wonder Woman’s invisible jet becoming a very cool Transformer.” You can get a peek of that in the image above, along with an enormous Bat-former and, perhaps best of all, Optimus Prime as a Green Lantern. (He added this morning, “Giving credit where credit is due: the idea for Optimus Prime as a GL was none other than [IDW Publishing Editor-in-Chief Chris Ryall's].”

Jimenez also dusted off another piece of art featuring Prime wielding his power ring and Megatron clutching Superman’s tattered cape, which you can see below. Hopefully the artist will offer more details about the pitch, and why it never went anywhere.

FdIhk.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Bacahlo is off WATXM but we get Ramon Perez so it's all good

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

T Dollarz

Just picked up Watchmen (novel) from the library and I am so ready to finally read this. I also have the Director's Cut on bluray but have yet to watch it. Should I watch or read first?

T Dollarz

Do any of you guys play heroclix? I have no idea how (un)popular it is, but it really get me into fanboy mode sometimes.

I used to. I'm actually looking at my old collection right now. I don't play anymore, but the pieces are cool as fuck and nice to display.

Hey guys, I'm looking for recommendations for comic-related podcasts...? I tried browsing the charts via Apple's podcast app, but was feeling a little overwhelmed. If it helps, I don't mind spoilers. Thanks guys!

Beth Cyra

Don't like DC comics outside of Nightwing and Batwoman, but I would have totally bought a Transformers Crossover that had Prime getting a Latern Ring.

MAN! Green Lantern got better after coming back to it for a re-read. It's making me want to read New Guardians, and that's something. Epic times ahead.

So ready for Black Hand's prophesy to come true and I have an idea who the First Lantern is.

Yeah comics!

tim1138

MAN! Green Lantern got better after coming back to it for a re-read. It's making me want to read New Guardians, and that's something. Epic times ahead.

So ready for Black Hand's prophesy to come true and I have an idea who the First Lantern is.

Yeah comics!

Give New Guardians another chance, it's a slow burn book but it's leading to big things.

Who do you think the First Lantern is?

Those building backgrounds look like they come from photos :(

Yeah those are the patented Marvel style photo backgrounds. At least Larocca isn't drawing it or the humans would all look like they swallowed a whole bag of Sour Patch Kids.

The First Lantern is Hal's dad, that's why Black Hand didn't ressurect him.

Give New Guardians another chance, it's a slow burn book but it's leading to big things.

Who do you think the First Lantern is?

Total guess from an eclipse "foreshadow" panel earlier in the issue: Eclipso

Could be totally off my ass, but I went "oh my god" when I saw the panel and it clicked.

tim1138

Total guess from an eclipse "foreshadow" panel earlier in the issue: Eclipso

Could be totally off my ass, but I went "oh my god" when I saw the panel and it clicked.

Hmm ... interesting. That would tie into the
reemergence of the Black Diamond
as mentioned in the Oct and Nov solicits.

Yeah those are the patented Marvel style photo backgrounds. At least Larocca isn't drawing it or the humans would all look like they swallowed a whole bag of Sour Patch Kids.

The First Lantern is Hal's dad, that's why Black Hand didn't ressurect him.

I told you. The First Lantern is the white shit the kids made Brennan eat in Step Brothers. That's why the Third Army looks like the white shit the kids made Brennan eat in Step Brothers, only with googly eyes.

The book is far far cooler than that. We're loving it.

I actually went out of my way to back up my feelings on it. Don't act like I'm just trolling.

The Third Army looks like glued together pieces of white dogshit, literally, with googly eyes on them, literally.

I'm judging the book on its artistic merits, my reaction to it, having read it.

I actually went out of my way to back up my feelings on it. Don't act like I'm just trolling.

The Third Army looks like glued together pieces of white dogshit, literally, with googly eyes on them, literally.

I'm judging the book on its artistic merits, my reaction to it, having read it.

I'm not acting like you're trolling. I have no clue what you mean and I'm just saying "hey we're enjoying this"

I'd rather have some overall positivity in this thread. You've already stated your google eye thing. Is it ok if we discuss it without reminders of how bad it is?

This is my whole problem with this thread now. I'm not saying don't have negative comments. I'm saying don't feel the need to point it out when people are enjoying something.

Monte Cook just had a thing on this topic for August to combat the incessant negativity online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom