• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

nf6p7lr.jpg

Changing the format a bit this month. Instead of putting up a huge list that's frankly a pain to put together that no one really reads, I decided to go with six titles across all publishers that deserve some attention.

LKrkXsI.jpg

x3l1NPj.jpg

Ms. Marvel #10 by G. Willow Wilson and Takeshi Miyagawa (Aug. 31) - CIVIL WAR II TIE-IN! After the explosive last issue, Kamala continues her fight to protect her turf. What will become of her friends?
All-Star Batman #1 by Scott Snyder and John Romita Jr. (Aug. 10) - Scott Snyder begins his new Batman series here. In this first issue, Bruce is forced to take Two-Face out of Gotham. Of course, things aren't so simple when the two are handcuffed together and everyone is out to kill Batman!
Black Monday Murders #1 by Jonathan Hickman and Tomm Coker (Aug. 10th) - Hickman continues writing comics besides Manhattan Projects this month with this new series. It's described as crypto-noir comic that's all about classic occultism.

ZhXgiJ4.png

Lady Killer 2 #1 by Joëlle Jones (Aug. 3) - Josie's back! Her family has moved to Cocoa Beach, Florida and, of course, a figure from her past has returned. Tyrant Rave Pick of the Month!
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #56 by James Roberts and Priscilla Tramontano (Aug. 17) - This month's issue ties directly into Transformers ongoing. It looks like Fortress Maximus and Red Alert have plans for Luna 1. But who could ever be interested in the birthing field and graveyard of dead Titans?
Corto Maltese: The Ethiopian by Hugo Pratt (Aug. 23) - In this chapter of Corto Maltese, our protagonist arrives in the Middle East and Africa. Corto soon finds out how justice works in Africa.

G159DJG.png

New to comics? Check out Zombine's Start Up Guide! (This is a bit outdated, but Zombine has expressed a desire to update it. Feel free to ask us for any advice!)
Help support my name is ed! His comic Rage Against the Jackal is available digitally on Comixology!
Also keep an eye out for Bish's upcoming comic Savage Empire featuring art by Jim Roy Jimenez!
Check out The Gamma Gals created by Figboy79!
Like Black Panther? Join in on the Black Panther OT where users post their impressions of the current series

Whether you read webcomics, ongoings, or even if you just stick to trades-- everyone is welcome to post their thoughts here.

Members in ComicsGAF are expected to follow the NeoGAF TOS just like everyone else. I know it can be hard, but try and be excellent to your fellow members guys.
7yOtSbf.jpg

We've been having some talk of spoilers a lot lately, so I figured it's a good idea to have a section for it.
-If you must post a spoilery panel or a page from a comic (recent or otherwise), please link to them with a proper spoiler warning.
-Please at least allow one week before posting unmarked spoilers.
-Announcements/Solicitations are not spoiler worthy
-MARK YOUR SPOILERS

uF5oFdu.jpg

Vic_Viper

Reposting for new thread:

When does the new Star Wars and Darth Vader take place among the main timeline from the films? And do they tie into each other. Like should I be reading them together or are they completely stand alone?

Also about to start reading Nextwave Agents of Hate. Heard really great things about it and hadn't heard of it before. The first issue was awesome and really funny, wasn't what I was expecting at all.

When does the new Star Wars and Darth Vader take place among the main timeline from the films? And do they tie into each other. Like should I be reading them together or are they completely stand alone?

They take place concurrently during the original trilogy. They also cross over at certain points like the Vader Down story arc. Probably best to read both for the full experience.

Sandfox

Also about to start reading Nextwave Agents of Hate. Heard really great things about it and hadn't heard of it before. The first issue was awesome and really funny, wasn't what I was expecting at all.

I haven't read them, but they take place between episode 4 and episode 5 IIRC.

I bought some issues of Elephantmen on CMX from the short span I stopped reading it. I forgot how much I like this book. Next issue isn't out until October. :(

arkon

Correction for the OP. Hickman doesn't write God Hates Astronauts. That's Ryan Browne's baby. You probably meant Manhattan Projects.

Shoutout to whatsinaname for the Sandman Mystery Theater recc. Finished the first volume and really liked it. A lot of fucked up things happen to female characters, but I love that you spend equal time with Dian as you do with Sandman. She's a great character.

Glad you are enjoying it. It is definitely a very difficult read at times but I don't think it ever feels exploitative.

And agree about Dian. I really enjoyed how Dian's character "grew up" and evolved during the whole run. One of my favourite comic couples.

And the art, of course.

Also, correction for the OP: It's not August yet.

Ulysses made Tyrant post the thread early.

Owzers

I didn't even make the list, but i posted so many random things. Could i have posted more?

Six episodes of Stranger Things down and it's still not for me, if it's 30% Spielberg/King/Carpenter than i'm saying that's 30% Polar Express and 30% John Carpenter's Vampires.

and looking it up, Spielberg might not have been involved with Polar Express, but i'm sticking with it.

Six episodes of Stranger Things down and it's still not for me, if it's 30% Spielberg/King/Carpenter than i'm saying that's 30% Polar Express and 30% John Carpenter's Vampires.

You might as well just finish the last two episodes. It struck me a combination of 80's Spielberg and The Goonies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didn't even make the list, but i posted so many random things. Could i have posted more?

and looking it up, Spielberg might not have been involved with Polar Express, but i'm sticking with it.

You're opinion is bad but thats alright

I'm home. I read a TON of comics on my trip. The entirety of Deadly Class, and 65-100 of Invincible. Deadly Class is simply incredible in how it's executed. Every issue seems to top what came before it, and you're genuinely left with no clue what the hell is coming next. Love it.

Invincible is straight up the best cape book I've ever read. I love how well Kirkman portrays his lead couple as both innocent and naive, while also putting them in crazy situations that push their comfort levels. You get to see a ton of growth with Mark Grayson, but the core positivity never goes away, even when characters are beating the literal shit out of each other. GOAT. I just bought the remaining issues and will probably binge read them over the next day.

Owzers

You might as well just finish the last two episodes. It struck me a combination of 80's Spielberg and The Goonies.

I was hoping for more King/Carpenter horror-ish after reading the description but there were only small glimpses at it before it went back into the mundane. It definitely reminds me of
ET but with a person who doesn't want to go home, and that's almost all it is

Boogiepop

Oh my god... so I'm almost out of the crappy part of my read-through of the Sonic comics, but I'm hitting the worst of it right before the end. I saved the damn Knuckles comics for last (which I actually won't finish because they're not all on Comixology, but that's honestly probably a mercy more than anything). And holy crap, just finished the 3rd of 4 collections of that crap on Comixology, and...

There was a spinoff story in the spinoff comic focused on the Chaotix (aka pretty much as low grade "who cares" level as you can go with characters from the games), and it... it starts with Charmy the Bee's friend (who in classic Ken Penders style is Charmy the Bee in a different outfit), dying of a drug overdose essentially. And then everyone else gets drugged, due to the plot of a "gangster" stereotype rabbit.

So yeah, I just read a comic in which Charmy the Bee gets high and has a bad trip.

Tripping-balls.jpg

Man, I have no idea who you are without the Blue Beetle avatar.

I'm literally just waiting for the Rebirth preview to hit so I have some new material to use, lol.

Oh my god... so I'm almost out of the crappy part of my read-through of the Sonic comics, but I'm hitting the worst of it right before the end. I saved the damn Knuckles comics for last (which I actually won't finish because they're not all on Comixology, but that's honestly probably a mercy more than anything). And holy crap, just finished the 3rd of 4 collections of that crap on Comixology, and...

There was a spinoff story in the spinoff comic focused on the Chaotix (aka pretty much as low grade "who cares" level as you can go with characters from the games), and it... it starts with Charmy the Bee's friend (who in classic Ken Penders style is Charmy the Bee in a different outfit), dying of a drug overdose essentially. And then everyone else gets drugged, due to the plot of a "gangster" stereotype rabbit.

So yeah, I just read a comic in which Charmy the Bee gets high and has a bad trip.

Tripping-balls.jpg

Sonic Comics are a trip and a half tbh.

Top Bottom