• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I give up on Pretty Deadly, i like the art but i just can not get into it.

Meh Lish:

AMAZING X-MEN- #2
GREEN ARROW- #26
HINTERKIND- #3 (maybe)
REALITY CHECK- #4(of 4)
SPIDER-MAN- #3 (Marvel Knights)
TRILLIUM- #5
VELVET- #2 :)
X-MEN- #2 (Marvel Knights)

So I never got an answer in the previous thread:

What kind of sci-fi is Black Science? Are we talking old school sci-fi? Hard sci-fi? Trek sci-fi? Farscape Sci-fi?

It's been toned down recently, but GrandHarrier is right that there was a real overbearing anti-DC vibe in the comics threads, to the point where people were pushing articles that hinted that people who happened to read any DC books were 'bad readers'. And anytime anything DC was mentioned we'd get a constant blast of cheap shots and lame jokes from people who weren't even reading the books.

DC (particularly it's editorial) deserves a good chunk of the criticism it has received, and I also say that as someone who read a lot of DC comics. Right now my favorite stuff is Marvel and indie stuff as well, but there are still a few good DC reads. I'd say the point isn't that DC shouldn't be criticized at all, simply that it was getting to be a bit too much white noise any time anyone wanted to discuss.

As I said though, it hasn't been that bad for several months luckily and overall I think people are still just happy to discuss good comics.

Yeah, that must go waaaay back. I've been tuning in to comic GAF since early this year. I won't argue that there has been plenty of DC venom and that occasionally it's directed at DC readers as well as editorial and the books themselves. But I never see people interject into a discussion of Batman or Damien or who made the best Batgirl or Arrow or whatever with anything like a "Pffft, DC? You're reading that crap?"

Eh. Go back and look at old threads. Or just pay more attention to these ones. You'll see constant, unneeded, snarky jabs. Lists are one place they seem to love doing it.

Things is, it seems like there are maybe three posters who occasionally engage in the behaviors you are discussing. There are some posters I don't like, either.

But not all indie flag-wavers are snobby assholes just like not all DC readers lack the ability to discern a quality comic. And trust me, I couldn't be paying any more attention. I read every post on these threads except those written by select posters.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Re-read the entire Frankencastle arc again. Goddamn, I love Frank vs Daken so much, the rematch. Daken's such a prick, and to have Frank do what he does...so good. I just love this damn story so much. Fuck Daken!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sunflower is part of the Frankencastle fan club?

I knew you weren't that lame-o Professor Beef

Hell yes I am. Haaaated the concept when I heard about it. Then I read it. So goddamn good, and a much-needed change of pace for the character. Punisher was one of my favorite books as a kid, so when I heard about it I was super skeptical, but I really, really loved it.

The List:

Marvel:
Amazing Spider-Man #700.1 (can't keep a good wall-crawler down....)
Amazing X-Men #2
Avengers Annual 2013
Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand #2 of 5
Deadpool #20
Guardians of the Galaxy #9
Inhumanity One-Shot
Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe #3 of 4
Marvel Knights Spider-Man #3 of 5
Marvel Knights X-Men #2 of 5
Superior Spider-Man #23
Young Avengers #13

DC:
Action Comics #26
Batman/Superman #6
DC Universe vs. Masters of the Universe #3 of 6
Earth-2 #18

Others:
Hellboy in Hell #5 (Dark Horse)
Ash and the Army of Darkness #2 (Dynamite)
Legends of Red Sonja #2 (Dynamite)
The Shadow Now #3 of 6 (Dynamite)
Doctor Who #16 (IDW)
Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #24 (IDW, Dark Cybertron 4 of 12)
Quantum and Woody #6 (Valiant)

Yikes, Some of these will be shifted to next week methinks.

Future Foundation follow-up? Mmmmm, maybe not. So what is it?

FUTURE-16cda.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Re-read the entire Frankencastle arc again. Goddamn, I love Frank vs Daken so much, the rematch. Daken's such a prick, and to have Frank do what he does...so good. I just love this damn story so much. Fuck Daken!

If you really hate Daken, you should definitely read Remender's Uncanny X-Force. There are some seriously great moments between Logan and his awful son.

12/4 list.

Batman/Superman #6
Detective Comics #26
Green Arrow #26
Green Lantern #26
Trillium #5
Velvet #2
Superior Spidey #23

Bii

12/4/13 list:
Fairest #21
Hinterkind #3
Trillium #5

And I'm undecided on Amazing Spider-Man #700.1.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If you really hate Daken, you should definitely read Remender's Uncanny X-Force. There are some seriously great moments between Logan and his awful son.

I do, and I will. I hate that little shit. Does he have any redeeming qualities? I've never seen em.

Acid08

Banned
Posting my DC Joke Outlet for this week

BOOM!:
Six Gun Gorilla #6(squeeeeeeeeeee)

Dark Horse:
Hellboy in Hell #5(squeeeeeeeeeee)

DC:
dickbutt weeeehehehehehe

Verteego:
Trillium #5

Image:
Velvet #2

Marvel:
MK Spidey #3
Superior Spidey #23(I'm a few issues behind right now)

Chew also delayed until January so, once again, comics are fucking over.

So what is the best recent X-Men book and/or trades? Recently have read Grant Morrison's New X-Men and Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men and want to keep it going.

Thanks

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I do, and I will. I hate that little shit. Does he have any redeeming qualities? I've never seen em.

Haha, nope! Not a single damn redeeming quality, which becomes apparent during the end of that run. A warning, though, Daken only factors into the third act of the series, BUT, the entire run is so great, and really is just one giant story arc, so you should start from issue 1.

Haha, nope! Not a single damn redeeming quality, which becomes apparent during the end of that run. A warning, though, Daken only factors into the third act of the series, BUT, the entire run is so great, and really is just one giant story arc, so you should start from issue 1.

It also goes through his runs on Secret Avengers, Captain America, Venom, and Uncanny Avengers.

tim1138

What's the upcoming Marvel book that has the Earth X May Parker and references the awesome Alan Davis Excalibur?

Filthy Slug

It also goes through his runs on Secret Avengers, Captain America, Venom, and Uncanny Avengers.

Uncanny X-Force runs through Venom? I kept up with Venom at the start but then dropped it, despite it being pretty interesting and a great take on the symbiote.

Also, should I be reading his Captain America and Uncanny Avengers? I love Remender but I liked his Marvel work where he had his own personal sandbox and didn't really adhere to the rest of the Marvel Universe, so I didn't hop on Cap or Uncanny Avengers.

Acid08

Banned
Uncanny X-Force runs through Venom? I kept up with Venom at the start but then dropped it, despite it being pretty interesting and a great take on the symbiote.

Also, should I be reading his Captain America and Uncanny Avengers? I love Remender but I liked his Marvel work where he had his own personal sandbox and didn't really adhere to the rest of the Marvel Universe, so I didn't hop on Cap or Uncanny Avengers.
Cap is really good.

kswiston

So I never got an answer in the previous thread:

What kind of sci-fi is Black Science? Are we talking old school sci-fi? Hard sci-fi? Trek sci-fi? Farscape Sci-fi?

It's hard to say after one issue (and I have never seen farscape), but I would say it's sort of old school sci fi. Crazy alien worlds like a mature quantum leap.

Well, Secret Avengers is directly tied to Uncanny X-Force and Venom joins the Secret Avengers, so it's all one beautiful tapestry.

frye

Was it just a one off or part of a larger story? I'll totally jump back into UA for an Earth X and Excalibur story arc.

They probably won't be playing a huge role beyond the immediate fanservice. It's Kang recruiting Cool Dudes From Universes Past to do [something] in the context of UA's amazingly convoluted story.

kswiston

They probably won't be playing a huge role beyond the immediate fanservice. It's Kang recruiting Cool Dudes From Universes Past to do [something] in the context of UA's amazingly convoluted story.

I wonder if the Arno Stark that Kang recruited is supposed to be the same one that just showed up in Gillen's Iron Man run.

Vibranium

Banned
Future Foundation follow-up? Mmmmm, maybe not. So what is it?

Latour makes this an instant buy whatever it is. Another rising comics superstar (watch out Rafa!)

I'm sad about him not being on Winter Soldier anymore but I'm open to anything that he writes at this point.

studyguy

My girlfriend likes comics.
She gave me Wolverine Origins to read a while back...
It was interesting I guess. She gave me the Crow... like the movie I guess?
She really likes the author... or the art style? I don't remember if they're the same guy.

Anyhow the last thing I read was some Spiderman comic where it was a black/latino kid as the new spider man and Peter Parker died? That seemed pretty cool, but the only thing I didn't like was that whoever wrote for it kept making these weird single word conversations. What the hell is that?

ElNarez

Banned
COMIX y'all

Action Comics #26
Batman Superman #6
Detective Comics #26
Earth 2 #18
Green Arrow #26
Swamp Thing #26
Trillium #5

Velvet #2

Amazing X-Men #2
Deadpool #20
Inhumanity #1
Iron Man #19
Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe #3
Marvel Knights Spider-Man #3
Secret Avengers #12
X-Men Legacy #21
Young Avengers #13

arkon

My girlfriend likes comics.
She gave me Wolverine Origins to read a while back...
It was interesting I guess. She gave me the Crow... like the movie I guess?
She really likes the author... or the art style? I don't remember if they're the same guy.

Anyhow the last thing I read was some Spiderman comic where it was a black/latino kid as the new spider man and Peter Parker died? That seemed pretty cool, but the only thing I didn't like was that whoever wrote for it kept making these weird single word conversations. What the hell is that?

Bendis-speak. Dialogue lovingly crafted from the mind of the greatest writer of mainstream comics perhaps the world has ever seen.

Eldren

Well, Secret Avengers is directly tied to Uncanny X-Force and Venom joins the Secret Avengers, so it's all one beautiful tapestry.

Ok I have both of these runs on my shelf waiting to be read and I've been wondering for ages, what order should I read them in? I had my suspicions they were connected but I've been too scared of spoilers to investigate. I've read Brubaker's Secret Avengers so I'll read Warren Ellis' issues first, but then should I go straight into Remender's SA, or UXF? Is there a handy schematic somewhere that details the ideal reading order, like Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity?

First time posting list here.

Amazing X-Men #2
Batman/Superman #6
Green Arrow #26

These are the only 2 DC ongoing titles I have been reading. I started reading Green Arrow from #17. Any other DC titles you folks recommend? JL 3000 looks interesting so I'll buy it when it comes out.

kswiston

Ok I have both of these runs on my shelf waiting to be read and I've been wondering for ages, what order should I read them in? I had my suspicions they were connected but I've been too scared of spoilers to investigate. I've read Brubaker's Secret Avengers so I'll read Warren Ellis' issues first, but then should I go straight into Remender's SA, or UXF? Is there a handy schematic somewhere that details the ideal reading order, like Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity?

Uncanny X-Force was pretty much done before Remender jumped on Secret Avengers.

Filthy Slug

Cap is really good.
Cap and UA are pretty firmly in Remender's sandbox and his alone, at least so far.

Ah, thanks, guys. I'm going to look for trades of Cap and Uncanny Avengers, but I guess I'll start getting the floppies as they come now. Remender gets infinite street-cred for his Marvel work with Uncanny X-Force, so I'm in.

Also, Birdie, I completely forgot that Venom had joined the SA and now it all makes sense. I can totally get into the Remender-verse section of the Marvel Universe.

frye

It's not really that interconnected. He'll just continue plots that are introduced in one book to other books. Secret Avengers can probably be read straight through after the Deathlok Nation arc of UXF (5-7 and 5.1) but even that isn't really necessary.

Basically Remender planned UXF to be double its actual length of 35~ issues so a lot of his ideas went into SA/Cap/UA

La List

Grindhouse Doors Open at Midnight #3 of 8 (Dark Horse)
Trillium #5 of 8 (DC)
Velvet #2 (Image)
Legends of Red Sonja #2 of 5 (Dynamite)
Mouse Guard Legends of the Guard Vol 2 #4 of 4 (Boom/Archaia)
Six Gun Gorilla #6 of 6 (Boom) DOOM DOOM DOOM

Have any of you read any of the Pirate Eye books? No? Ok. I was eyeing the one-shot being released this Wednesday.

Nudull buddy I notice that you are picking up Mouse Guard Legends of the Guard Vol 2 on Wednesday. Good call. It's a painfully beautiful series that everyone everywhere of every age should read.

Also Numbercruncher HC (Titan), which I've been banging on about for months, is dropping Wednesday. The description on Previews World: at its head, not a white-haired anthropomorphic deity with a harp and a throne but a wizened, weaselling old man with bad breath and a bad attitude. At his right hand, Bastard Zane, a surly civil servant with a big gun whose job it is to stop those who think they can buck karma. And then there's Richard Thyme: a genius mathematician and a man who will do whatever it takes to defy Fate and return to his one true love- even if he is dead. Writer: Simon Spurrier Art: P.J. Holden

Lastly, if you need gift ideals kids, there is a shit ton of stuff dropping this week. No less than half a dozen new Harley Quinn shirts. Bombgirls shirts featuring images based off those statues you love so much. A bunch of Archie shirts including Undead Jughead. Kirby shirts. Awesome magnets. Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom