• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the title, relevant:

Moxnuxz.jpg

What's a good starting point for Amazing Spider-Man... #1? Lol

I've read all of Superior Spider-Man so far.

I recommend starting with " new ways to die" it's when spidy found its groove.

Big time or spider- island for more recent stuff

Also anything by zeb wells or joe Kelly

"It's Buzz Lightyear-meets-'Unforgiven' I guess and I've been motoring through it for months, really having a good time with it," Millar is quoted, also calling the series "Flash Gordon-meets-'The Dark Knight Returns.'"
of course he describes it in elevator pitches

Riposte

The Five Pillars of Batman:
Year One - Batman's origin: "Who I Am, How I Came To Be", though focuses on Commissioner Gordon a fair bit
The Long Halloween - A holiday-themed serial killer stalks Gotham's mobsters, who hire supervillains to try and elminate the killer. Really atmospheric.
Hush - "Batman's Greatest Hits", lots of "Hey, it's that guy! I know that guy!" Jim Lee kills it on art.
The Killing Joke - All it takes to descend into madness is one bad day. Probably the definitive Joker story
The Dark Knight Returns - An elderly Batman comes out of retirement. Recently adapted into a pair of very good animated movies which are probably on Netflix or something.

Some of these pillars need to be knocked down, wtf

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Man, that Millar/Goran Parlov comic looks sick.

Also, about Mahmud Asrar on Wolverine & X-Men: If you like his art, go read one of his early works: Dynamo 5.

Captain Dynamo, the greatest super-hero in the world, was not the most faithful husband. Now he's dead and his family is trying to piece together their lives. As his enemies descend on his unprotected city, Captain Dynamo's widow rounds up his five illegitimate children, each of whom have inherited one of their father's super-powers. Can these total strangers come to terms with their powers, their father's legacy and each other as total chaos erupts?

Great ensemble book by him and Jay Faerber (Noble Causes, Near Death, and other great crime/capes books) Easily my favourite team book along with Wolfman/Perez's New Teen Titans.

JEKKI

arrrrgh why isnt there a after market for Infinity?!?!?!

I'm watching these ebay auctions like a hawk and aint nobody selling!!

I spent dang near or over $60 on this stupid story and it'd be nice to get some of my money back,

instead I'm out $60 over a story that was hot garbage compared to everything Hickman did with FF

and even more pissed knowing that $60 coulda actually gone to purchasing good comics

:(

at least X-Men stuff sells... got some decent coin off all my Bendis stuff,

even Battle of the Atom got me $22

I dropped that series too coz it sucks worse than Infinity lol.

IrishNinja

now catching up on Uncanny Avengers, at # 9 now - god i forgot how much i hate janet, with her "I WONT SERVE WITH WOLVERINE AS AN AVENGER CAUSE HES A KILLER" bullshit

edit oh right cap you can kill nazis in WWII but not Apocalypse twins cause Remender

Man, that Millar/Goran Parlov comic looks sick.

Also, about Mahmud Asrar on Wolverine & X-Men: If you like his art, go read one of his early works: Dynamo 5.

Great ensemble book by him and Jay Faerber (Noble Causes, Near Death, and other great crime/capes books) Easily my favourite team book along with Wolfman/Perez's New Teen Titans.

It's been on my to-buy list for a while now. His Supergirl stuff was pretty good.

I doubt that WATXM will be self contained enough for me to solo pull, but I really like Mahmud Asrar and I'd be very tempted break my rule on pulling Marvel titles to check it out if I was reasonably sure it wouldn't fall into crossovers.

RangerX

Banned
Anyone reading Wolverine Max by Jason Starr? Its really excellant and wolverine actually behaves like wolverine in it which we don't see very often anymore,Bendis could never write him well imo. The art by Felix ruiz is sweet too.

It's just an expression guys, jeez. I did laugh at the image though. I just think they're the stories that are important and that a new reader will like. TBH my favourite Batman book right now is probably Batman '66.

I've been digging into the Valiant Starter Bundle I bought awhile back. Really enjoyed X-O Manowar, I think I'll get a few more issues. How are the second and third arcs?

Owzers

Batman 66 #1 was okay, it was free on comixology a few days ago, but it kind of lacked in plot and leaned heavily on old timey cheese.

Daredevil End of Days #2 - I've never cared for Ben Ulrich, i blame myself for buying Civil War Frontline and not liking the reporter angle, and i'm not too interested in Ben tracking down Daredevil's story here either.

arkon

Whaaaaaaat? I thought Aaron was in for the long haul...he said he had a lot of stories planned...

I feel betrayed!

No worries there. Latour said he's got years worth of stories in mind. I'm sure he'll be in it for the long haul.

Owzers

He'll still be writing Amazing.

Have you read Bendis' Daredevil? You should. It is Bendis' best work (Together with USM and Alias) and it has some good story arcs with Ulrich.

I haven't read it yet, i think i have all of it in one format or another though on the trades shelf of horrors.

Dropped a few cape books off my list. Goal is to have each week under $25. Dropped Green Lantern today. I enjoyed the book but it did not effect the story happening on Earth.

Bii

I spent dang near or over $60 on this stupid story and it'd be nice to get some of my money back,

instead I'm out $60 over a story that was hot garbage compared to everything Hickman did with FF

and even more pissed knowing that $60 coulda actually gone to purchasing good comics

at least X-Men stuff sells... got some decent coin off all my Bendis stuff,

even Battle of the Atom got me $22

I dropped that series too coz it sucks worse than Infinity lol.

I enjoyed Infinity (Infinity, New Avengers, Avengers), though I probably could have skipped on a few issues since it did nothing for me.

Battle of the Atom was disappointing to me, especially the finale. The one good thing that came out of it was future Quentin.

Any who, Amazing Spider-Man #700.1, yay or nay? Still on the fence if I should pick this up today.

Why would they buy singles when the awesome HC will be out in a month.

I never thought I'd say this, but I really like what Tom Taylor is doing on Earth 2.

What are you specifically liking about it? I ask because I feel his Injustice Comic is rather amazing considering its a game-tie in. It could stand alone without the tie-in, imo. So I'm not surprised he can translate that into an interesting continuation of Earth 2.

tim1138

What are you specifically liking about it? I ask because I feel his Injustice Comic is rather amazing considering its a game-tie in. It could stand alone without the tie-in, imo. So I'm not surprised he can translate that into an interesting continuation of Earth 2.

I'm just gonna put the whole thing in spoiler tags so I can include this month's issue. So yeah spoilers ahoy!

I'm a huge fan of James Robinson and really loved the world he was building in the book. From the little things like calling heroes "Wonders" to it being Trinity free. It was a great book and one of the few that really took advantage of the N52 stuff to really create new takes on the characters without any of it seeming forced. So when he left the book and his run ended with evil Superman blowing up half the world and knowing Taylor was coming on board and Batman was playing a bigger role, I pretty much expected it to turn into Injustice 2 (I hated the few issues that I read of that, I thought it was just terrible.

So I've been pleasantly surprised to see him come in and have crazy stuff happening but in a way that makes sense in the world Robinson created. Supes basically breaking Dr Fate was brutal but perfectly logical. Lois' mind being put in Red Tornado's body has me intrigued. The new Batman is more Flashpoint Batman than annoying main Earth Bruce. Jimmy Olsen's reveal this issue as basically Cyborg without the cyborg body was out of nowhere and piqued my interest. I have no idea where he's going with Aquawoman but I look forward to her upcoming team up with Lois and Hawkgirl. Plus the last page of this month's issue was great. Hopefully that sticks and we won't have to sit through Bats x Joker story #468422891.

In a nutshell, I like that he's maintaining the spirit the book had with Robinson and going all in with new takes on old characters embracing the craziness of the world he inherited.

frye

Batman 66 #1 was okay, it was free on comixology a few days ago, but it kind of lacked in plot and leaned heavily on old timey cheese.

Daredevil End of Days #2 - I've never cared for Ben Ulrich, i blame myself for buying Civil War Frontline and not liking the reporter angle, and i'm not too interested in Ben tracking down Daredevil's story here either.

Urich is one of the greats, and I don't think it's possible to finish the Miller or Bendis runs without thinking that. EoD Urich is a completely uninteresting portrayal of him, though.

Cheska

Jeez, I never realized just how popular the Injustice comic was :O I just looked it up on comixology and it has a TON of reviews. More than I would honestly expect.

I'm going to download these and check them out, thanks.

PS awesome avatar, Rat Queens is fantastic so far.

Rat Queens 4 lyfe.

Get back with impressions once you check out the podcasts, if you feel so inclined. The Comics Alternative just released their December Previews catalogue episode and I always enjoy those episodes because they shed light on alternative and indie titles on the horizon. Also, the most recent Inkstuds is an interview with Hellen Jo that is terribly interesting and entertaining whether you've heard of her work or not (I hadn't).

Jeez, I never realized just how popular the Injustice comic was :O I just looked it up on comixology and it has a TON of reviews. More than I would honestly expect.

No kidding. I never really paid attention to it. I played the game, but that was as far as I went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom