• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my '89 through '99 era Legion of Super Hero comics. Man, just looking at the covers its amazing watching the generational shift of artwork.

Man, this new 52 Mad Hatter story in Batman: The Dark Knight is shaping up to be the ultimate suck. They are completely missing what to do with his character so far.

its only 1 issue in isnt it?

It is, and I plan to keep going with it in case it picks up, and because I love the character, but so far the changes they've made and the tone they've take both feel unnecessary. I went into it expecting a different take on the character, and I'm completely fine with that. But it feels like they feel like they have to make him extreme and creepy and ultra-evil like Joker for people to like him or consider him a good villain, and it's all wrong to me. It's trying too hard.

Not to say it didn't have good parts...because it did.

Also, how many times do they need to write the scenario where Batman has a love interest who complains because he's out all the time or always getting hurt or is Batman and she's like "I can't take this anymore" and he's like "Okay".

It is, and I plan to keep going with it in case it picks up, and because I love the character, but so far the changes they've made and the tone they've take both feel unnecessary. I went into it expecting a different take on the character, and I'm completely fine with that. But it feels like they feel like they have to make him extreme and creepy and ultra-evil like Joker for people to like him or consider him a good villain, and it's all wrong to me. It's trying too hard.

Not to say it didn't have good parts...because it did.

Also, how many times do they need to write the scenario where Batman has a love interest who complains because he's out all the time or always getting hurt or is Batman and she's like "I can't take this anymore" and he's like "Okay".

Im a big Mad Hatter fan too and i picked up the issue but haven't read it yet. At least I have Van Sciver's art to look forward too. How was that Bruce Jones OGN? I think it was called Through the looking glass?

I intend to have Captain Marvel as my next project. Any essentials?

Comics wise?

I recommend:
51VsVEJ82eL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also, Geoff Johns backup story in Justice League has been really intriguing so far.

Vio-Lence

Banned
i've been souring on Snyder's Batman. I think Death of the Family has been a bust. If it wasn't for GC killing it on the book, I'd probably have dropped it already. Only way to redeem the arc is have Batman kill Joker, but we know that ain't happening.

Liefeld was right when he accused Snyder of having too much control on the Batman books. They need to kick him off and put Morrison back as top dog. Just give him all 6 batman books to write

Im a big Mad Hatter fan too and i picked up the issue but haven't read it yet. At least I have Van Sciver's art to look forward too. How was that Bruce Jones OGN? I think it was called Through the looking glass?

It depends on how surreal you can allow for Batman to be, and how insane the artwork and such. The art is by Sam Kieth, and he's not exactly known for having a realistic style. It's incredibly wacko and cartoony, but I love it. Some people might take it as being rather poor at first glance. It's a bit in the same realm as Kelley Jones, except I don't care much for Kelley Jones' art. It's a very cartoony, caricature-ish take on Batman.

It's also extremely surreal, which is exactly what I personally think the Mad Hatter excels at. I like it quite a bit.

i've been souring on Snyder's Batman. I think Death of the Family has been a bust. If it wasn't for GC killing it on the book, I'd probably have dropped it already. Only way to redeem the arc is have Batman kill Joker, but we know that ain't happening.

I dropped it when it moved to $4, lol.

Liefeld was right when he accused Snyder of having too much control on the Batman books. They need to kick him off and put Morrison back as top dog. Just give him all 6 batman books to write
They need to stop all these tie ins. Let the other books find their voice, so many of them lack purpose and direction. There is no fucking reason TT should be in this event.

They need to stop all these tie ins. Let the other books find their voice, so many of them lack purpose and direction. There is no fucking reason TT should be in this event.

Titans and Red Hood are the worst of the entire event, too. I still can't get over how terrible the writing on Starfire is.

Wait, what? Snyder is DC's new golden boy. They aren't going to kick him off of anything. Especially not Batman, which he's been rocking from the get-go.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Storm & Black Panther were together for a long time, and only recently split up. It was almost entirely for political reasons - the people of Wakanda hate the "X-Men" name because during AvX
Pheonix-Force powered Namor flooded Wakanda
and since Storm is associated with the X-Men, they had to split up.

Glad you enjoyed that BP story! How goes the rest of the Hickman prep reading?

I read Inhumans before I went to sleep last night. That was a really cool story. I wanted to see Black Bolt use his powers. :/

Owzers

Anyone read Fantastic Four #3 and like it? Didn't care for it at all really, only part i liked was
Ben diving from the ship to the planet.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Does Snyder really have control? Is he the one making other writers do tie-ins? He certainly goes out of his way in interviews to say that the books can decide on their own whether to connect with his stuff. If there's any pressure to tie into his stories, I highly doubt it's coming from Snyder.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Does Snyder really have control? Is he the one making other writers do tie-ins? He certainly goes out of his way in interviews to say that the books can decide on their own whether to connect with his stuff. If there's any pressure to tie into his stories, I highly doubt it's coming from Snyder.

I feel like he may have forced Nightwing to tie into the Owls story line, but mostly because of the reveal about the circus and it's plans for Dick. That said it was a really good arc and Night of the Gray Son was the best tie in. Other than that I doubt he really got on anyone's case. Gail was going to do a Joker story at some point, it's Barbra Gordon so it would have been unavoidable with the character arc she's been on. So yea you're probably right about editorial, DC's editorial has been pretty heavy handed from what we've seen so I wouldn't be shocked if it were them.

It's not coming from Snyder, but... If you're the writer of a Bat-family title with the opportunity to be part of an event that the #1 best-selling book in the company is doing, and you say "no thanks I wanna do my own thing," odds are probably high that your editor is going to have words with you and that you may not be writing that book for much longer. So I imagine the other Bat-writers are under a lot of pressure to be "team players" even if they don't like what Snyder's doing.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
nowhere as good as dc vs marvel? are you serious? the best thing to come from dc vs marvel was amalgam

seriously DC vs Marvel was horrible, the only clear cut fight that made sense was Flash vs Quicksilver. Storm one shot wonder woman *after she drops thors hammer ya dumbass*, bats beat cap with an assist from a sewer drain *lol wtf*, aquaman beat namor with a killer whale..., and of course Wolverine beat Lobo...in a close quarters grappling fight? Only way wolverine wins is with a decapitation or Lobo loses limbs, and that just delays him coming back. On the damn page Lobo has a hold of wolverines arm , that should be a one hit KO from that point like when the hulk busts wolvies face.

The best part was when Wolverine and Gambit stole the bat mobile.

JLA vs Avengers was solid stuff.

So...my 4 1/2 year old daughter is showing an interest in comics, thanks to the My Little Pony comic. I read X-Babies vs A-Babies to her tonight and she loved it. I'm not sure where to move to next though, as most comics are mature nowadays-but she defnetly seems to like superheroes.

Kirkman is killing it on Super Dinosaur. And please. Please Bob Harras, make Dollar Bill an o going to replace Sword of Sorcery. His story needs to be told.

So...my 4 1/2 year old daughter is showing an interest in comics, thanks to the My Little Pony comic. I read X-Babies vs A-Babies to her tonight and she loved it. I'm not sure where to move to next though, as most comics are mature nowadays-but she defnetly seems to like superheroes.

Tiny titans. Superman Family Adventures.

I don't know what age range Bone is intended for, but it seems like everybody around my age read it as children but me. Might want to look into it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

There are some books like the Ultimate Spider-man comic (it's based off the TV show) but that might be for someone a little older. You could print out the JL8 pages and use those (or read them from an i-pad) those are just plain fun.

seriously DC vs Marvel was horrible, the only clear cut fight that made sense was Flash vs Quicksilver. Storm one shot wonder woman *after she drops thors hammer ya dumbass*, bats beat cap with an assist from a sewer drain *lol wtf*, aquaman beat namor with a killer whale..., and of course Wolverine beat Lobo...in a close quarters grappling fight? Only way wolverine wins is with a decapitation or Lobo loses limbs, and that just delays him coming back. On the damn page Lobo has a hold of wolverines arm , that should be a one hit KO from that point like when the hulk busts wolvies face.

The best part was when Wolverine and Gambit stole the bat mobile.

JLA vs Avengers was solid stuff.

Sure if you like to be bored. I agree some of the fights had shitty outcomes but that was partly due to fan influence and in those days there was no internet so nobody could research the characters they just voted on who they knew or who seemed cooler. It's a far more entertaining series than JLA/Avengers where nothing fucking happens. There were so many cool scenes in DC vs Marvel like Ben Reiley hitting on Lois Lane, Amaglam merger, Robin and Jubilee, etc. JLA/Avengers lacked any of that stuff that made the 90s event so fun.

brucewayneagentshield1.jpg

hmm apperantly there was a spinoff miniseries that I didn't read:

Allacces2.gif

Strictly from the Big Two, Marvel and DC both have sites that let you read some of their kids' comics for free; if she goes for any of those, you can dig deeper for back-issues through ComiXology if they're available. As for specific recommendations... From DC, I'd suggest Tiny Titans and Superman Family Adventures, but if she finds those too "baby-ish" then check into the books based on their animated shows: Batman Adventures, Superman Adventures, Justice League Adventures/Unlimited, Teen Titans Go!, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, and Green Lantern: The Animated Series. They're great for all-ages reading, and fun for adults if you're a fan of the cartoons as well. With Marvel, it's a no-brainer -- the whole point of the "Marvel Adventures" line is to create all-ages reading material for the young masses, so pick one and you're set. I'd look into the newer Power Pack books as well; they're well illustrated, and the child protagonists should be easy for her to identify with.

Marvel - http://marvelkids.marvel.com/comics
DC - http://dcnationcomics.kidswb.com/

EDIT: Oh! And the Mini Marvels series of comics by Chris Giarrusso. He also has his own kid superhero book called G-Man, that sometimes publishes at Image.

Owzers

I started Change #2 and remembered that i didn't understand Change #1.

Needless to say i did not understand Change #2 either.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I feel like he may have forced Nightwing to tie into the Owls story line, but mostly because of the reveal about the circus and it's plans for Dick. That said it was a really good arc and Night of the Gray Son was the best tie in.
I don't think that's the case.

Both you and Scott have been saying that the plan was to have characters cross over between your books -- was that always going to be the "Night Of The Owls?"

Yeah, I've known what Scott has been planning for over a year now. He first pitched me the Owl story when I was writing the Nightrunner backups and had just started at DC. With that in mind, I structured "Nightwing" in a very specific way that ties into those plans. Scott has a great affinity for Dick Grayson, having written him for a year in "Detective," so it's all been quite natural. I don't want anyone to think this was just thrown together; this was very meticulously put together and planned out. I'm very excited to see what people think by the end of issue #7!

It's not coming from Snyder, but... If you're the writer of a Bat-family title with the opportunity to be part of an event that the #1 best-selling book in the company is doing, and you say "no thanks I wanna do my own thing," odds are probably high that your editor is going to have words with you and that you may not be writing that book for much longer. So I imagine the other Bat-writers are under a lot of pressure to be "team players" even if they don't like what Snyder's doing.

Right. I have little doubt that their editors 'suggest' ways for the other books to intersect with Snyder's stories. And if tie-ins do indeed produce an uptick in sales, there will always be the background threat that if you don't do it, DC might swap you for another writer who might be more amenable to those suggestions. I just don't think it's fair to blame Snyder.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think that's the case.

Right. I have little doubt that their editors 'suggest' ways for the other books to intersect with Snyder's stories. And if tie-ins do indeed produce an uptick in sales, there will always be the background threat that if you don't do it, DC might swap you for another writer who might be more amenable to those suggestions. I just don't think it's fair to blame Snyder.

I haven't seen that interview. Either way Nightwing is quality stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom