• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pcJbL.png

TlRK6XX.png

"I cannot change the things that are beyond my ability to change..."

Oh hey! Didn't see you there, fellow Comic-GAFer. A new month is upon us, so it's time to get down with another new Comic OT. I won't keep you here any longer than necessary; go ahead and scroll down to check out some of the spotlight titles coming from each publisher in the month of February:

MR6n8.png

bSojtNA.jpg

Mr0Ns4a.jpg

+The Fearless Defenders #1 by Cullen Bunn and Will Sliney (Feb. 6). The Defenders gets a Marvel NOW! relaunch and a women-centric lineup! Misty Knight and Valkyrie headline this debut issue, soon to be joined by Dani Moonstar, Hippolyta and a cavalcade of Marvel's mightiest heroines!
+Uncanny X-Men #1 & 2 by Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Bachalo (Feb. 13, Feb. 20). They've been appearing in All-New X-Men for months, but now Cyclops and his team of mutant fugitives take over their own new series! With new mutants emerging every day, will the world view Scott and his followers as heroic revolutionaries, or as dangerous terrorists?
+Wolverine and the X-Men #25 by Jason Aaron and Ramon Perez (Feb. 13). In this jumping-on point issue, Wolverine packs the kids from the Jean Grey School into the Blackbird for a field trip to the mysterious Savage Land! But a ghost from Logan's past returns to put them all in danger... his long-lost brother, Dog!
+Daredevil #23 by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee (Feb. 20). A jumping-on point issue! With the startling revelation of last issue weighing heavily on his mind, Matt Murdock's world suddenly threatens to crash down around him. How will he handle this new development in his personal life, AND a brand new mystery unfolding for his alter ego Daredevil?
+Nova #1 by Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness (Feb. 20). In this new Marvel NOW! series from the stalwart team of Loeb/McGuinness, a young boy named Sam Alexander discovers his destiny as the newest member of the cosmic Nova Corps! Will fans embrace him, or have they already cursed him to failure with intolerance?
+Punisher War Zone #5 by Greg Rucka and Carmine di Giandomenico (Feb. 27). The saga of Frank Castle and Rachel Cole-Alves comes to an end, as series writer Greg Rucka bids farewell to the character -- and to writing comics for the "Big Two," for now. Skip ahead to this month's "Bullhorn" for more on the incredible career of Greg Rucka.

QV0uw.png

EIbVhnL.jpg

IFBEjUl.jpg

+Green Arrow #17 by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino (Feb. 6). A new creative team takes over to usher in a bold era for DC's Emerald Archer! Oliver Queen's whole world is turned upside down when he loses everything he owns, and is confronted with a startling truth about his own father's connection to Oliver's time lost at sea.
+Green Lantern #17 by Geoff Johns, Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy (Feb. 6). The next Lantern crossover event, "Wrath of the First Lantern," begins here! Who is the First Lantern, and why does his return spell doom for the Guardians? Find out as Baz takes on Black Hand for the first time, and Hal and Sinestro's ultimate fates are decided.
+Batman #17 by Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, and Jonathan Glapion (Feb. 13). The gruesome finale to "Death of the Family" has arrived! Who or what is on that serving tray? Can Batman stop the leather-faced Clown Prince of Crime's plan, or is it already too late? And, will any writer dare touch the Joker after this mess?
+Team 7 #5 by Justin Jordan and Pascal Alixe (Feb. 13). Slade Wilson takes his first steps on the road to becoming Deathstroke! ...Look, can I be honest? The only reason I picked this is because Spartan's on the cover; I loved that guy as a kid... Then I grew up, and looking back realized the reason was that he's Data from Star Trek with a hot, half-alien stripper fawning over him.
+Justice League of America #1 by Geoff Johns and David Finch (Feb. 20). A new team of heroes is assembled in defense of America, but these aren't the most heroic -- they're the most dangerous! Find out who they are, what their mission is, and how this series will lead to the upcoming Trinity War event. Also, fifty-two cover variants. You read that right.
+Hellblazer #300 by Peter Milligan, Giuseppe Camuncoli and Stefano Landini (Feb. 20). This is the end... After two decades of continuous publication, Vertigo's longest-running series draws to a close with this milestone issue, all to make way for the full integration of John Constantine into the New 52.

9sam5.png

MPyjCCE.jpg

aqNRdur.jpg

+Snapshot #1 by Andy Diggle and Jock (Feb. 6). The team behind The Losers and Green Arrow: Year One reunites at Image for a thrilling new miniseries! Jake is your typical nerdy guy working at a comic book store, who stumbles upon a lost cell phone with saved images of a gruesome murder scene. Now Jake is on the run, being hunted by the hitman the phone belongs to!
+Ravine, vol. 1 by Stjepan Sejic (Feb. 13). Artist Stjepan Sejic tries his hand at creator-owned work for the first time, with a tale of swords and sorcery! With the land literally divided in two, a grieving father will risk all for the magic to bring his family back to life, but finds himself opposed by an army and a ragtag group of adventurers.
+Chew #32 by John Layman and Rob Guillory (Feb. 20). Not a whole lot to go from the ad copy (thanks, Image). So let's analyze the cover, shall we? A black man with a gun appears to be offering you a milkshake with a man's face in it, with a cherry for an eye. Well, that can't be too bad can it?
+It Girl and the Atomics #7 by James S. Rich and Mide Horton (Feb. 20). It Girl heads for the Alps (in that outfit?) to rescue a scientist and keep his latest invention out of nefarious hands. To do so, she takes on superpowered spies and mechanical men in this first of a two-part adventure!
+The Legend of Luther Strode #3 by Justin Jordan and Tradd Moore (Feb. 20). Things continue to get bloody as Luther and his girl Petra fight a losing battle against the enemies behind it all. ...Look, ad copy's not giving me a lot to work with here either. Just know that it's violent, okay? Really, really violent.
+The Uncanny Skullkickers #1 by Jim Zub and Edwin Huang (Feb. 27). For their nineteenth issue, Zubkavich and Huang begin poking a little fun at Marvel NOW! with a series of series relaunches. Never fear, however, it's still the same raucous tale of two adventurous mercs on a quest for fame, glory and gold earned over a lot of dead monster bodies.

9CWx4.png

CpIhb4I.jpg

kL3P79H.jpg

+Hellboy in Hell #3 by Mike Mignola (Feb. 6). When you're the crown prince of Hell, death is not the end! Mignola writes and illustrates as Hellboy's family reunion continues, with the character slipping deeper into the depths of the underworld and uncovering the darkest secrets of his destiny.
+The Strain #11 by David Lapham and Mike Huddleston (Feb. 13). The adaptation of the 2009 novel by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan reaches its harrowing conclusion! The vampire outbreak threatens to consume all of New York, and soon the world, unless Dr. Goodweather and his CDC team can end the darkness and save humanity.
+The Black Beetle: No Way Out #2 by Francesco Francavilla (Feb. 20). It's pulp noir mystery as only Francesco Francavilla can render it! A murder investigation leads the titular hero into a deadly trap set by the new and mysterious costumed villain known as Labyrinth. Can the Beetle solve the mystery, and escape alive?
+Conan the Barbarian #13 by Brian Wood and Mirko Colak (Feb. 20). A new jumping-on point! After the heart-rending conclusion of the last story arc, Belit leaves Conan in charge of their ship to return to her homelands of Shem. Determined to follow, Conan braves the harsh desert, and finds himself on the wrong side of an invading army.
+Dark Horse Presents #21 by Various (Feb. 20). Neil Gaiman and Paul Chadwick, together. Neil Gaiman and Paul Chadwick, together. Neil Gaiman and Paul Chadwick, together. Neil Gaiman and Paul Chadwick, together. Neil Gaiman and Paul Chadwick, together. Neil Gaiman and Paul Chadwick, together.
+The Massive #9 by Brian Wood and Garry Brown (Feb. 27). Brian Wood's saga of post-apocalyptic environmentalism continues! Word of a utopian oil-rig society divides the crew of the trawler Kapital in two. Can the ship's captain Callum Israel keep order, or is the end of his ship's journey upon him? (Is it that obvious?)

ymY7S.png

iaQYqYT.jpg

gV4lnLr.jpg

+The Crow: Skinning the Wolves #3 by James O'Barr and Jim Terry (Feb. 6). James O'Barr returns to the character he created! The death camps of World War 2 Nazi Germany have given rise to a new kind of Crow, and in this final issue, the events that led to his rebirth are fully revealed as the camp itself is consumed by chaos and destruction.
+Transformers: Regeneration One #88 by Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman (Feb. 6). Scorponok continues his takeover strategy in the city of Iacon, with only a small number of leaderless Autobots to oppose him. Meanwhile, Hot Rod continues to journey deep within Cybertron, and is determined to come face-to-face with his maker, Primus!
+The New Ghostbusters #1 by Erik Burnham and Dan Schoening (Feb. 13). The original Ghostbusters have disappeared, captured by evil demons from another dimension! But with New York City forever in peril, a new team of paranormal investigators must take their place, don those proton packs, and bust some ghosts!
+G.I. Joe #1 by Fred Van Lente and Steve Kurth (Feb. 27). The beginning of an all-new era for Joe comics at IDW! Out of the shadows and in the public eye for the very first time, the Joe team must now battle COBRA on domestic soil, with the entire country watching.
+Judge Dredd #4 by Duane Swierczynski, Nelson Daniel, and Inaki Miranda (Feb. 27). Creative kidnappers are using DNA stolen from Mega City One's wealthy upper class to grow clones of them, then torture those clones on live TV unless someone pays up! What's that sound? It sounds like... JUDGEMENT TIME.
+The Rocketeer: Hollywood Horror #1 by Roger Langridge and J. Bone (Feb. 27). Two Eisner Award nominees join forces for a tale of pulp thrills, romance, and high-flying adventure! Who is the mysterious Otto Rune, and what are his sinister plans for Tinseltown and for Cliff's best girl Betty?

4T1fu.png

IrvhVAE.jpg

ffR5dM7.jpg

+Fairy Quest #1 by Paul Jenkins and Humberto Ramos (Boom! Studios, Feb. 6). The Kickstarter success story is now available in print! Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf are desperate to escape the oppressive society ruled by Mister Grimm and his Think Police. Together, they make a break for the fabled "Real World."
+Harbinger #0 by Joshua Dysart and Mico Suayan (Valiant, Feb. 6). Toyo Harada is the world's most powerful man, and with his psychic powers and superhuman army he's out to remake the world in his own image. But who was he before, and what events led him down this path? Find out in this standalone, introductory issue!
+Red Team #1 by Garth Ennis and Craig Cermak (Dynamite, Feb. 6). Ennis strikes again, with a brand new series! "Red Team" is the best anti-narcotics team in the NYPD, known for hard-hitting tactics and a high arrest rate. But solving their latest case means crossing a line from which there can be no turning back...
+The Shadow: Year One #1 by Matt Wagner and Wilfredo Torres (Dynamite, Feb. 20). Eisner Award -winning author Matt Wagner explores the origins and earliest days of one of pulp fiction's most memorable characters! Follow Lamont Cranston as he returns to the States from the Orient, and begins to develop the persona of his alter ego, The Shadow!
+The Sixth Gun: Sons of the Gun #1 by Cullen Bunn and Briant Hurtt (Oni Press, Feb. 20). If you're one of the many Sixth Gun readers who wanted to learn more about General Hume's deadly horsemen, then this new spinoff series is right up your alley! In this issue, an isolated and injured "Bloodthirsty" Bill Sumter faces death... or worse.
+Nemo: Heart of Ice HC by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill (Top Shelf, Feb. 27). Another rendition of a literary classic from the legendary Alan Moore! For years Jani Dakkar has followed in the footsteps of her father, Captain Nemo of the Nautilus. Now, she embarks on a mission to accomplish what he never could: the exploration of Antarctica!

UPUg2.png
BOmCm.png

What is "On the Bullhorn"?
"On the Bullhorn" is your opportunity to get on that soapbox that TToB vacated. Each month I'll leave this space empty, and it's your job to fill it, Comic-GAF, with whatever you want. Got a book you want to promote? A writer? An artist? Got something to get off your chest, a pet peeve or storytelling trope you can't keep silent about? Just want to rant for a bit? Then type it up, provide some pics, and send it to me via PM so I can post it in the OP.

Or don't, and this can stay blank. Up to you.

This month's "On the Bullhorn" segment is brought to you by yours truly, and will follow in the next post.

SpD81R8.png

Spoilers. In the age of digital comics, they are increasingly becoming an issue in these threads, as the drive to be first to discuss the week's releases overrides common sense and good posting etiquette. So over the coming weeks and months, the members of Comic GAF will be collaborating on and will eventually be implementing a system of general rules for avoiding spoilers on new comics in the Comics OT thread. But for now, please abide by the temporary guidelines outlined below. And remember, you are being watched and judged by your peers.

1. Discussion of newly released comics that involves specific plot details shall be accompanied at all times by the appropriate use of the
tag function.

2. Direct posting of full-page images from newly released comics using the tags is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.

3. Direct posting of images or spoilers from comics that have yet to be released is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.

4. Covers, solicitation copy, and/or promotional materials shall not be considered spoilers and are allowed, unless their content involves specific plot details; in those cases, outgoing links with spoiler warnings should be used.

5. The unmarked posting of spoilers related to comics will be allowed after a period of one week (Wednesday to Wednesday) from that comic's release.[/b] ([u]NOTE:[/u] Longer? -Spike)

[b]6. Members of Comic GAF are expected at all times to exercise common sense and polite discretion as a matter of courtesy to fellow posters. I know, tough one.

7. If you are unsure of whether or not posting something would constitute a spoiler, err on the side of caution and use the [SPOILER] tags.[/b]

In short, don't be Stephanie Brown. Don't be... The Spoiler. For one thing, [b]you're[/b] not that loveable. >:|

Happy reading! :D

(Author's Note: Originally, I was going to write a "Bullhown" segment that was based around this month's "Death of the Family" finale, about how despite efforts I've been unable to get into the Batman works of Scott Synder, and about how I feel that the ongoing trend of Batman comics to gravitate towards the gruesome aspects of psychological horror/suspense may end up doing more harm than good in the long run. I scrapped that piece halfway through, deciding it was too antagonistic and could easily be misconstrued as anti-DC bias; in the end, I think that was the right decision to make. Because instead of hate, I think we should start things off this month with a little bit of love.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On February 27 (schedule permitting), Marvel will release Punisher War Zone #5, which marks not only the end of Greg Rucka's phenomenal run with that character but also the foreseeable end of his work writing for "the Big Two," aka Marvel and DC. Now, it's safe to say that Greg Rucka is arguably one of the best writers working in comic books today, and he is easily a personal favorite of mine; scan through my library of graphic novels, for example, and you'll see his name featured repeatedly on those shelves. Simply put, the man does plot and character development as very few can, his treatment of female character is especially superlative, and his opinions on writing in general and of the industry itself should be read by everyone who reads comics. So, in honor of his accomplishments in the industry to date and in anticipation of what the future holds for him, I thought that I'd take this opportunity to look back on Greg's career in comics by presenting a visual and chronological exploration of his works to date.

Z3Lksy9.jpg

July, 1998 - After making a name for himself in the literary world with the Atticus Kodiak series of crime novels, Greg Rucka launches his first foray into the world of comics with the debut of 'Whiteout' from Oni Press. This story, about a US Marshal in Antarctica trying to solve a murder mystery, garnered much critical acclaim and took many in the industry by surprise, including individuals at DC Comics. In 2009, a film adaptation was made starring actress Kate Beckinsale.
May 1999 - Rucka joins friend and fellow crime author Ed Brubaker in becoming the newest writers for the Batman family of titles at DC Comics, with Rucka taking the regular series writer role on 'Detective Comics'. Together with other writers, they finish out the expansive "No Man's Land" saga, then follow up with "Officer Down," Bruce Wayne: Murderer," and "Bruce Wayne: Fugitive." Placing less emphasis on superheroics and colorful villains, and more on detective work and fighting organized crime, their work on Batman immediately gains notice. Greg would continue writing 'Detective Comics' until December of 2002.
September 1999 - Back at Oni Press, Greg produces 'Whiteout: Melt', a sequel to the original series, his first comics work. Again, the book is received with great critical acclaim and would go on to win the Eisner Award for Best Limited Series in 2000. A third volume in the series was originally planned for release in 2007, but has yet to materialize.

yVmQ5yB.jpg

January 2000 - DC calls upon Greg to produce a novelization of the popular "No Man's Land" saga, released by Pocket Books Press. Transformed from a sprawling, multi-series event comic into a taut, character-driven story told with a singular vision, this prose version is considered by some (okay, me personally at least) to be THE definitive version of that saga.
June 2000 - Rucka pens the 'Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood' miniseries for DC, exploring the origins of the post-Crisis Huntress, Helena Bertinelli. Considered by many to be the definitive Huntress story, it also establishes a relationship between her character and the original Question, Victor Sage, that appears later in the 'Justice League Unlimited' cartoon series.
January 2001 - For the first time, Greg begins writing stories for Marvel Comics, co-authoring the Marvel Knights series 'Black Widow' with Devin Grayson. A follow-up series, subtitled 'Pale Little Spider', is produced in 2002 under Marvel's adults-only MAX imprint, and features the Yelena Belova version of the character.
March 2001 - Rucka returns to Oni Press, with an all-new spy thriller series titled 'Queen & Country'. Arguably his best known comics work, this series based on a special branch of British Intelligence would span thirty-two issues collected over four volumes, and in 2002 won the Eisner Award for Best New Series.
December 2001 - Greg produces his first work at Image Comics, a crime series titled 'Felon'. Originally planned as a 25-issue story, the book ended after just four issues when Greg and artist Matthew Clark had a falling out with the Top Cow label under which it was published. Cited later as "one of the single worst experiences of my comic book writing career," Greg declared that he would never work for Top Cow again.
January 2002 - While still working on Batman for DC, Greg starts to produce more work for rival publisher Marvel Comics. First, he pairs with acclaimed Japanese artist Yoshitaka Amano for 'Elektra/Wolverine: The Redemer', an illustrated prose miniseries. A few months later, Greg takes over writing duties for the 'Elektra' ongoing series published under the Marvel Knights imprint. Later that year, he teams with CGI artist Scott Sava for the unorthodox 'Spider-Man: Quality of Life' miniseries.

sKSyz9Y.jpg

June 2002 - Greg writes the standalone graphic novel 'Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia' for DC Comics. Pitting Wonder Woman and Batman against each other over the fate of a young woman embroiled in murder, the story was universally praised by fans and critics alike and to date remains a fan-favorite. As an "audition" piece, the work is largely credited with earning Rucka his turn as writer of the regular Wonder Woman ongoing the following year.
January 2003 - Rucka returns to the character Elektra one more time for Marvel, this time under the new Ultimate imprint with the 'Ultimate Daredevil/Elektra' miniseries.
February 2003 - Back at DC, Greg teams with Ed Brubaker once more for 'Gotham Central', an all-new ongoing series focusing not on costumed crimefighters but on the brave men and women of the Gotham City Police Department. Despite consistently low sales, the series survived for 40 issues on the strength of critical reception of its police procedural format, and on the sales of its trade collections. 'Central' would go on to win both Eisner and Harvey Awards during its run, and when Brubaker leaves DC for an exclusive deal with Marvel Greg stays on at DC to finish the series alone.
July 2003 - Rucka launches a new 'Wolverine' series for Marvel, writing the first nineteen issues of the book. This run is widely regarded as one of the finest ever to feature the popular X-Men character, and would ultimately become the last work Rucka produced for Marvel before signing an exclusive contract with DC.
October 2003 - At DC, Greg finally lands what is arguably his dream job with the company, becoming the new series writer for 'Wonder Woman'. His run on the character would last three years and receive a great deal of critical if not sales acclaim, and is still considered by many to be a definitive run on the character. Ultimately though, it was a run ended prematurely; when DC's superiors planned a new direction for the character following the 'Infinite Crisis' event, Greg strongly opposed the changes and left the series rather than implement them. As a result, many of the plots he had been developing were ended abruptly or simply ignored by the next creative team.
October 2003 - The same month that Rucka begins his run on Wonder Woman, DC begins publishing the 'Batman: Death and the Maidens' miniseries also written by him. A farewell of sorts to the character from Greg, the story introduces Batman (and readers) to Nyssa Raakto, a mysterious woman bent on taking revenge upon longtime Batman villain Ra's Al Ghul, later revealed to be Nyssa's own father.

w7XOoFD.jpg

June 2004 - Greg becomes the regular series writer on 'Adventures of Superman'. His run would focus on Clark's career as a journalist, explore his personal and professional relationship with wife Lois Lane, and would introduce a new villain named Ruin, who threatens to strike at the Man of Steel through his loved ones, friends and colleagues. Rucka would continue to write the series through 2006, when 'Adventures' ended as part of the 'Infinite Crisis' reshuffling of Superman titles.
June 2005 - Rucka serves as one of the early architects of 'Infinite Crisis', by writing two important precursor events: the 'OMAC Project' miniseries, and parts of "Sacrifice," a Wonder Woman/Superman crossover storyline. In 'OMAC', Batman's AI spy satellite goes rogue after falling under Checkmate control, while in "Sacrifice" Superman is brainwashed into attacking his allies by Maxwell Lord and, in a controversial moment, Wonder Woman kills Max to free Superman from his control.
May 2006 - Joining fellow writers Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Geoff Johns, and Keith Giffen, Greg co-authors '52' for DC, a weekly series spanning an entire year for its large cast in the post- 'Infinite Crisis' world. Considered the modern model for collaborative work in comics, Rucka's portion of '52' focuses on Renee Montoya, long one of the author's favored characters, as she transforms into the new Question following the death of the original, Vic Sage. Spinning out of '52', Rucka would also later pen the 'Crime Bible: The Five Lessons of Blood' miniseries, and later still the 'Final Crisis: Revelations' miniseries, both featuring Montoya in the central role.
June 2006 - Greg authors the new ongoing series 'Checkmate' a spy thriller series spinning out of the events of 'Infinite Crisis' and 'OMAC Project'. Like Rucka's earlier work 'Gotham Central', the series achieves low sales numbers but is well received by critics and fans alike. Unlike 'Central', however, critical acclaim is unable to save the book from cancellation and it ends prematurely after two years.
July 2008 Having decided not to renew his exclusive contract with DC, Greg returns to Marvel briefly and teams with his old colleague Ed Brubaker once again, for a short stint on the series 'Daredevil'. After one storyline, however, Rucka would return to writing for DC, this time as a freelance writer.

zKyORKj.jpg

May 2009 - After three years Greg returns to writing Superman comics for DC, by co-authoring the 'World of New Krypton' miniseries event with James Robinson, and by taking over 'Action Comics' with new lead characters Flamebird and Nightwing. In 'Action', Greg takes advantage of the Man of Steel's absence to explore the theology and mythology of Krypton through the title's new leads, but becomes extremely disappointed when after a year of stories DC ends the 'New Krypton' event with a firm reset to status quo, erasing or ignoring everything he spent the previous year writing.
August 2009 - Rucka returns to writing 'Detective Comics', this time featuring a new incarnation of the character Batwoman as its lead, one reintroduced by Rucka in the weekly series '52'. To Rucka's consternation, DC heavily promotes the series to the public on its lead's new status as a lesbian; however, it is the strength of Rucka's writing and his stellar portrayal of Kate Kane that in 2010 earns the series a GLAAD Award for Outstanding Comic Book. Nevertheless, after one year DC decides to pull the character and its creative team from the book, promising that a new 'Batwoman' ongoing series would debut later. By the time it debuted, however, Greg would not be involved.
October 2009 - Greg launches a new creator-owned series at Oni Press, titled 'Stumptown'. An homage of sorts to detective television series like 'The Rockford Files', the series is a return to form for Rucka and has been well receieved by critics and fans.
February 2010 - As part of the 'Blackest Night' event, Greg is invited by DC to reunite with his favorite superhero character by writing the 'Blackest Night: Wonder Woman' miniseries. Viewed by Greg as an opportunity to revisit plots and themes left unresolved in his earlier run on the character, the book instead causes a mile controversy; some fans become angered over Greg's failure to consult with then- series writer Gail Simone over the plot, and and over the revelation that Wonder Woman harbors romantic feelings for Batman. This miniseries would ultimately become Greg's last work with Wonder Woman for DC.
June 2010 - Following an earlier announcement of his intentions at the Wondercon convention, Greg Rucka officially leaves DC Comics, with Action Comics #889 and a co-feature in Detective Comics #864 serving as his final stories for the publisher. At the time, Rucka insisted that he was parting with DC on good terms, and cited a desire to focus more heavily on his creator-owned works like 'Stumptown' as the reason for his leaving. Years later, however, he would reveal through interviews that editorial double-dealing and broker promises were the primary contributing factor in his decision to leave, and that his return under current DC management was unlikely.

fL36AuB.jpg

December 2010 - For the first time in two years, Greg publishes a story for Marvel Comics, and collaborates with friend and 'Gotham Central' artist Michael Lark. Published in the 'I Am An Avenger' miniseries, the story titled "Post Mortem" would go on to earn the author another Eisner Award in 2011 for Best Short Story.
October 2011 - Marvel launches a new 'The Punisher' series set in the 616 continuity, with Greg Rucka as series writer. Unlike previous takes on the character, Rucka instead focuses less on the lead and more on the world around him, with a strong supporting cast of detectives, reporters, and criminals, and by introducing a new character, Rachel Cole-Alves, whose life erupts in a tragedy that mirrors the Punisher's own. The book is well regarded by critics, but suffers from low sales owing in no small part to the large shadow cast by Garth Ennis's run on the character. When Marvel announces that the Punisher will become part of a 'Thunderbolts' series in the Marvel NOW! initiative, a decision made without consulting him, Greg announces he will be leaving Marvel after completing his 'Punisher' run.
September 2012 - Rucka produces a sequel to 'Stumptown' at Oni Press, titled 'Stumptown: The Case of the Baby in the Velvet Case'.
February 2013 - Punisher War Zone #5, the final issue of Greg Rucka's run, is published and marks for now the end of his tenure as a writer for Marvel Comics.
???????? 2013 - Greg returns to Image Comics and rejoins Michael Lark, for a new science-fiction series titled 'Lazarus'.

kswiston

Great OP Spike!

Looking forward to the Finale of Death of the Family this month, as well as Uncanny relaunching.

ED: Nova looks like he is making his escape after leaving a flaming bag of dog crap on your front porch in that cover.

Acid08

Banned
I have this some episode of X-Men on a VHS where Wolverine has a weird Australian accent. He's all like "We're just havin a laugh, oi oi oi" and shit.

Isn't that last month's Green Lantern cover? Regardless, great OP.

I'm interested in The Shadow: Year One. I'm enjoying Masks even if it is flawed, and the cover looks neat.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Dunno how anybody can look at a Spike-OP and not get excited about comics.

tim1138

Ok I take back what I said in the last thread about the Dark Phoenix adaptation for the 90s cartoon being good. Good lord is the ending awful.

"It's cool guys, I'm the Phoenix Effect, just gonna fly away now. Oh sure, I can revive Jean
lol."

Man I would've peen pissed had I seen that as a kid, even then the DPS was my favorite X-Men story.

kswiston

Too bad Manhattan Projects got pushed back until Feb 13th. We were originally going to have a triple serving of Hickman next week.

COMICS GAF. I am caught up on Saga and Manhattan Projects. Other than that I am currently only reading Marvel/DC stuff. Recommend me another (currently ongoing) non-cape book to check out. Preferably something that doesn't require me to track down 30-50 issues before buying the latest book.

Ok I take back what I said in the last thread about the Dark Phoenix adaptation for the 90s cartoon being good. Good lord is the ending awful.

"It's cool guys, I'm the Phoenix Effect, just gonna fly away now. Oh sure, I can revive Jean
lol."

Man I would've peen pissed had I seen that as a kid, even then the DPS was my favorite X-Men story.

I might have been more of a preteen/young teen than a little kid at the time (when did Fox Marvel series debut?), but I hated those Dark Phoenix saga episodes. Those and the Venom Saga on Spider-man the animated series used to broadcast like every 3 weeks it seemed.

lol."

I don't remember the end, gonna go put in the dvd!

tim1138

Too bad Manhattan Projects got pushed back until Feb 13th. We were originally going to have a triple serving of Hickman next week.

COMICS GAF. I am caught up on Saga and Manhattan Projects. Other than that I am currently only reading Marvel/DC stuff. Recommend me another (currently ongoing) non-cape book to check out. Preferably something that doesn't require me to track down 30-50 issues before buying the latest book.

I would say Saucer Country, but sadly it ends in April.

Acid08

Banned

Prophet by Brandon Graham
Multiple Warheads by Brandon Graham

MisterHero

lol."

Phoenix can revive Jean, but at the COST OF a fraction of YOUR SOUL

Should've just sacrificed Wolverine, he has life energy to spare

tim1138

So wait, in the cartoon Bobby and Lorna were an item? Where's Alex? More importantly, why am I still watching this?

-edit-

Spoke too soon, there's awful 90s outfit Havok!

tim1138

If you had to give me a one sentence synopsis on each, how would you describe these books?

I shall consider buying the series in trade form then. Should be what? Two volumes?

Two or three, I'm not sure how many issues are in the first trade (which is already out).

kswiston

Locke & Key is really good but its almost done and also its in the 30ish issues to catch up thing, hahaha.

I plan on reading Locke and Key, but at this point I think I will just wait until all of the minis are collected.

Prophet: Crazy sci-fi with amazingly varied art.

Multiple Warheads: A road trip comic filled with humor, creativity, and sometimes tits.

Sweet, thanks! I think I will track down the first couple issues of each (probably on Comixology at this point) and go from there.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I'm thinking of reading Uncanny X-Men, I never really read X-Men aside from Ultimate X-Men a few years back I like Bendis from Ultimate Spider-man, so it seems like it may be a good fit.

I suppose I'll withhold judgement until a few issues are out -- but does anyone have any preliminary warnings?

kswiston

I'm thinking of reading Uncanny X-Men, I never really read X-Men aside from Ultimate X-Men a few years back I like Bendis from Ultimate Spider-man, so it seems like it may be a good fit.

I suppose I'll withhold judgement until a few issues are out -- but does anyone have any preliminary warnings?

All-New X-Men is surprisingly decent. Other than the risk of Bendis burning himself out on 3 x-books a month, I don't see any issues.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

All New X-Men which is going to be the "New Avengers" to Uncanny X-Men's "Avengers" is a pretty good book (best example I could think of atm) so other than the art having odd coloring it's pretty much a waiting game to see if Bendis can keep up the quality.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I think I asked way back in the summer but I'd like some recommendations for some Dr Strange stories. I already own The Oath which was awesome.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I already gave up dude. It's going to happen. :(

Honestly Snyder can do two things from here and either one will break our hearts...

I think I asked way back in the summer but I'd like some recommendations for some Dr Strange stories. I already own The Oath which was awesome.

There was a 4 chapter mini by Waid a few years back that I forget the name of, it was really good stuff.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
This is what I was thinking of. So good.

I liked it a lot too. Was weird seeing Emma Rios' art so brightly colored. Usually her stuff is colored very muted. It looks very different than everything else I've seen her draw.

Acid08

Banned
Aquaman 16

SO GOOD! Hawkman was rad this issue. Dat twist at the end.

Also, unrelated, but Rocafort sure draws a nice Wonder Woman.

LiQuid!

Aquaman 16

He draws the best babes. I want to see, but not enough to buy bad Superman comics. :(

tim1138

Aquaman 16

The Throne of Atlantis story has been amazing, this is the best Johns has been in awhile, and I say that as a huge Geoff Johns fan.

-edit-

I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, but surely I wasn't the only one who caught the N52 debut of
the Atom
?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom