• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh....OH. I would have never read it from that angle. Thanks!

Ooooh! :D It's funny, by the time I read flex (spent a fortune on the issues too..) I'd read so much about the subtext of it that I slipped into it easily. Not knowing about it, I could see the weirdness being off putting, it's really out there even for Morrison. Here are some hints for enjoying it -

It's semi-autobiographical. Where Morrison probably isn't as mad and suicidal as Wally , lots of the details are pulled from his life (such as the apocalypic nuke imagery in the old pamplets). This book is a statement as to why silly superheroes are important to the imagination. Like Morrison says, something like Superman is an idea that's bigger and more powerful than even a nuclear weapon. That's the real power of superheroes, characters that WE invented that can deal with anything (or did we invent them???)

Each issue is roughly examining an age of comics, both in the golden/silver/bronze manner and also in the age of the reader and the sophistication they bring to it. So the first issue is Golden age and is more simplistic and nostaligic (and also talks about kids creating comics). Second is silver age where everything goes a bit wobbly and psychedlic. Third is modern age, dark and grim, Frank Miller and raincoats, "Comics aren't just for kids any more!". 4th is the hypothetical 'future'.

The story will see disjointed and strange - don't panic. Just pay attention to the things the book is saying and how it says them. It's as much about philosophy and the act of creation as anything else.

As you can tell, I like it.

tim1138

I would also recommend Morrison's book Supergods. Equal parts autobiography and history of comics, it is an absolutely fascinating read. Especially if you get into Flex after rereading it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I would also recommend Morrison's book Supergods. Equal parts autobiography and history of comics, it is an absolutely fascinating read. Especially if you get into Flex after rereading it.

Yeah def. It's funny, I read Supergods years after Flex and it blew me away how much he was pulling from that book. It really was an early attempt at a definitive statement - this is what superheroes are.

The panel where flex tells the kid that books are all well and good but sometimes you need to leave the house and meet girls is one of my favourite things in the world.

tim1138

Yeah def. It's funny, I read Supergods years after Flex and it blew me away how much he was pulling from that book. It really was an early attempt at a definitive statement - this is what superheroes are.

The panel where flex tells the kid that books are all well and good but sometimes you need to leave the house and meet girls is one of my favourite things in the world.

I'm long overdue for a reread of Flex, think I'll take care of that this weekend.

kswiston

Is anyone getting Age of Ultron next week?
As a casual Marvel reader is it even worth caring about?

I didn't even know it was out to be honest, and I am 80-85% Marvel.

I will probably read it because I like alternate reality/future stories, but I doubt it will have many long lasting ramifications.

Is anyone getting Age of Ultron next week?
As a casual Marvel reader is it even worth caring about?

Uh, YAH.

nx6OVaH.jpg

I didn't even know it was out to be honest, and I am 80-85% Marvel.

I will probably read it because I like alternate reality/future stories, but I doubt it will have many long lasting ramifications.

Marvel has been saying the opposite. Seems age of Ulton is goin to fuck shit up

Just to give everyone an update, the March OT is done; I'm just waiting to hear from 8bit before posting it. I'll check in again on my lunch break, and if he hasn't responded I may go ahead and post it.

tim1138

So the art will be good, but will the story matter?

I've read that the ending is super secret and WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!!!! But as someone only reading ANXM, UXM, and GotG, is it woeth investing in a weekly event book?

I'll just wait for you brahs to post impressions.

Dysun

He's not even drawing the whole thing, even if Bendis says thats how he intended it to go down I dont buy it

I'll read it because I'm a sucker for these things

Owzers

if it gets good reviews i'll pick up the Ultron trade, but 3 issues a month and 10 issues total has the appearance of a money sink.

Owzers

Hitch's Ultimates was the last thing he drew that stuck out to me. I've been reading America's Got Powers and not loving the art. This is somewhat similar to how i feel reading Cassaday's Uncanny Avengers, the artwork looks cold and plain.

hanzo

Banned
Jut getting into the walking dead comics. How different is the show to the comic? Can I start at issue 48 and follow the prison arc? How about after issue 96? Do things really change? Compendiums are a good deal but the hardcovers are nice.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Jut getting into the walking dead comics. How different is the show to the comic? Can I start at issue 48 and follow the prison arc? How about after issue 96? Do things really change? Compendiums are a good deal but the hardcovers are nice.

from what ive seen of the series, there are some major changes from the series to comic, but the overall arcs seem similar. if you want to read the series, i suggest start from the first issue.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Superior:
Dr. Kafka, a major side character, killed by a random 4th class villain I never heard about, for a non-important story detail that never shows up again, in a big story arc that will be retconned anyway? Am I in DC land now? WTF is this shit? Who the hell is that Massacre guy anyway?

I'm kinda angry.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Superior:
Dr. Kafka, a major side character, killed by a random 4th class villain I never heard about, for a non-important story detail that never shows up again, in a big story arc that will be retconned anyway? Am I in DC land now? WTF is this shit? Who the hell is that Massacre guy anyway?

I'm kinda angry.

She's not that major. I mean it's not like
he offed MJ or Betty or Aunt May or something.
He's the guy from the arc right after Marla was killed, when Peter made that bulletproof suit because he lost his spider sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom