• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Short version:
UXF team kills Apocalypse, triggering Archangel programming in Warren. Archangel declares himself Apocalypse's heir, and recruits Dark Beast, the Horsemen, and Genocide. Archangel commits genocide on a small Midwestern town killing thousands, and uses the site as a test for destroying then rebuilding the world. The UXF team assaults Archangel's citadel, and Betsy stabs Archangel in the chest with a "life seed" from the AoA dimension, killing him. The citadel collapses, and out of the rubble emerges Warren only he's "tabula rasa" -- a total blank slate, with no memory of who he was before. The Warren Worthington III that they knew is truly dead, and this "Angel" wears his face and body.

And that's not counting the whole "wings torn off by Morlocks, transformed into Archangel by Apocalypse" business that preceded it.

Huh, interesting. I know about the wings torn off/turned into Death stuff. I just haven't regularly read X books in like 20 years, sibce Fatal Attractions really. I've read some trades here and there but not a lot.

MartyStu

Huh, interesting. I know about the wings torn off/turned into Death stuff. I just haven't regularly read X books in like 20 years, sibce Fatal Attractions really. I've read some trades here and there but not a lot.

Finish Uncanny X-Force.

Seriously.

Wag

I just picked up:

9781607060765_p0_v1_s600.JPG
9781607065968_p0_v1_s600.JPG

So much comics. So much.:)

Owzers

Best Bat characters are
Damian
and Stephanie Brown. Has anyone not been spoiled on Batman Inc #8 yet? Is that possible?

DC has driven me to buying Guardians of the Galaxy. Bendis talk DC, you can't even beat Bendis talk.

tim1138

Did anyone read the Marvel Comics: the Untold Story book? It's pretty fascinating so far, I'm up to the point when McFarland, Liefeld, and Lee come on and the company figures out how to print all those terrible gimmick covers from that era.

KingDirk

Did anyone read the Marvel Comics: the Untold Story book? It's pretty fascinating so far, I'm up to the point when McFarland, Liefeld, and Lee come on and the company figures out how to print all those terrible gimmick covers from that era.

I got it for Christmas, it's a pretty great read. I wish I had a companion book for DC, because I'd like to understand a bit more of the context of a few of the things, but that's hardly the author's fault. The only disappointing thing about it is that it really starts to gloss over the later stuff--given Marvel's high quality as of late, I think it's a bit unfairly dismissive. (Even though the basic premise of weirdos->corporate is essentially sound).

The Rocketeer: Hollywood Horror #1 (which everyone should have bought, fyi) perfectly illustrates the problem I have with putting all ads in the back: you're getting into the story and can't wait to turn the page, and then you turn the page and it's an ad... and another ad... and another ad... and another ad. All those pages you thought were more story were just ads, and now you have to wait until next month.

Acid08

Banned
I was reading Matt Fraction's tumblr... I was getting really salty when I read that he'd basically sign anything you brought.

KuGsj.gif

Also, his issue breakdowns are fantastic.
FUCK!!!!!

Should have given my coworker my copy of Hawkguy 3 to get signed. Is Aja supposed to be there too? If he is plz kill me now.

Last minute decisions to go to Emerald City Comic Con are the best kind of decisions. Only Friday passes at the moment? Oh the fuck well! Figure the rest out!

Thank God I only live 3.5 hours away. :x

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Best Bat characters are
Damian
and Stephanie Brown. Has anyone not been spoiled on Batman Inc #8 yet? Is that possible?

DC has driven me to buying Guardians of the Galaxy. Bendis talk DC, you can't even beat Bendis talk.

why did you spoil that and be wrong?

Owzers

why did you spoil that and be wrong?

Guardians of the Galaxy 0.1, 1, 2 got added to my dcbs order. It is done.

Though i also added JLoA #2 and 3 combo packs, tried to get #1 but dcbs is out of issues. I'll wait till the second issue is out and get #1 digitally when it drops a buck, though it's going to hurt my ability to resell JLoA on ebay later with just issues 2-whatever *shrugs*

Groof

Hey all, I'm pretty new (maybe 6 months in, been pretty Marvel-centric) to the comic game and I've been following these threads for a bit and wanted to thank all of you for some of the great recommendations, Saga being the most recent that comes to mind!
Also wanted to ask a quick question while I'm at it. As a huge fan of Uncanny X-Force, and on an extremely tight budget, is the new Uncanny X-Force worth my while over what I currently am following (Hawkeye, Saga and Thor: God of Thunder)? Thanks again, all!
First post on GAF as well!

Hey all, I'm pretty new (maybe 6 months in, been pretty Marvel-centric) to the comic game and I've been following these threads for a bit and wanted to thank all of you for some of the great recommendations, Saga being the most recent that comes to mind!
Also wanted to ask a quick question while I'm at it. As a huge fan of Uncanny X-Force, and on an extremely tight budget, is the new Uncanny X-Force worth my while over what I currently am following (Hawkeye, Saga and Thor: God of Thunder)? Thanks again, all!

No.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Welcome! The new UXF isn't nearly as good as the old one, or Marvel's other best titles. You're reading the best of the best, it looks like. If you're looking to add one or two more books, might I suggest also adding something from my favorite author Jonathan Hickman? He's writing Avengers/New Avengers (both are tied together), The Manhattan Projects (self contained story from the same imprint as Saga) and a new series called East of West that drops in March. Maybe take a brief look at each and see if any catch your attention... he's the best author in comics today.

Wish I was in Seattle right now.

I got tickets to take my daughter there on Saturday, the first Comic convention of any type that I've ever been to. My boss went with his daughter last year and told me that it was actually super kid friendly and recommended that I try it (he's been the pusher for getting me hooked on comics over this last year). Has a big kids section, lots of people watching for crazy outfits, toys everywhere, freeplay board and video game section. I'll probably tour around with her in the morning, get her Wizard of Oz book signed by Skottie Young, then drop her of back at home when she gets tired in the afternoon and get back myself to poke around some more.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I read the first issue. It wasn't bad but there is no reason to pick it up if you're pull list is only 3 or 4 titles.

Groof

Welcome! The new UXF isn't nearly as good as the old one, or Marvel's other best titles. You're reading the best of the best, it looks like. If you're looking to add one or two more books, might I suggest also adding something from my favorite author Jonathan Hickman? He's writing Avengers/New Avengers (both are tied together), The Manhattan Projects (self contained story from the same imprint as Saga) and a new series called East of West that drops in March. Maybe take a brief look at each and see if any catch your attention... he's the best author in comics today.

Man, that's kinda too bad about UXF... maybe it'll get more interesting down the line, but I might pick at least one issue up if the mood strikes to see how it is, considering there seems to be some differences in opinion on it!
I'll definitely check him out! I'm guessing the Avenger ones are in the whole Marvel Now thing, right?

Oh, forgot to add that I'm following All New X-Men as well, whenever I can.

arkon

The Rocketeer: Hollywood Horror #1 (which everyone should have bought, fyi) perfectly illustrates the problem I have with putting all ads in the back: you're getting into the story and can't wait to turn the page, and then you turn the page and it's an ad... and another ad... and another ad... and another ad. All those pages you thought were more story were just ads, and now you have to wait until next month.

I don't have that problem. There's usually something on the final story page to indicate, hey this is the end of this month's story, see you next time.

I'd much rather that than ads in between story pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom