• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I mean, it's not terrible or anything, but it's not exactly compelling me to keep spending $3.99 on it. I'll give it another issue or two, but meh so far. Uncanny X-men on the other hand is OMGmazing.

Well, it's a bit rough around the edges, but I think the story, the art and the characters are worth it. Plus, my boy Bishop is finally back.

This is pretty insane. How do you manage?

It's actually not as bad as I make it sound. I budget $30/wk for comics, even though I usually don't spend over $15-$20. Mostly, it all comes down to which publishers decide to release what and when. It's usually divided pretty evenly, but this week was pretty nasty. It came out to $38 and change.

Groof

It's actually not as bad as I make it sound. I budget $30/wk for comics, even though I usually don't spend over $15-$20. Mostly, it all comes down to which publishers decide to release what and when. It's usually divided pretty evenly, but this week was pretty nasty. It came out to $38 and change.
Man, I wish I was on your budget, heh. Sounds pretty good, either way! Probably would've been even better if the digital books weren't so overpriced.

Quake1028

I am up to:

35 floppies a month
6 titles I buy digital codes for
2 titles I read digitally
7 titles I trade wait (all Image)

On another note, Ravine and Nemo: Heart of Ice are shipping soon = ).

MartyStu

So I flipped through teen titans on a whim, and WTF is up with Red Robin.

Whats with the laughing?
And randomly making out with Solstice and Cassie?

Troll

Banned
Hanium?

I think he goes Darkseid and destroyes the new 52 and brings back the old status quo somehow.

I'm waiting for DC to bring back the old supers somehow. When they do it's going to be tight!!
I just wish that when they rebooted they would have really started over and went a little crazy. Like, what if Krypton didn't die? What if Batman was gay? Shit like that would be cool.

It's so fucking nice to have a straightforward Verne meets Lovecraft adventure in the League's pan-fictional setting, instead of the essay on how everything sucks now Century turned out to be. God damn.

And with the beautiful visuals to top it all off. I mean the MOUNTAINS. Drawn so that they seem to exist outside the boundaries of height or logic was perfect. And not easy to pull off, but that book made it look so simple.

kswiston

I think I sub to like a 100 comics a month or thereabouts.

How do you have money to eat? :p

I get anywhere from 2-10 books a week depending on how the shipping schedules work out. I have a lot of Marvel titles at the moment due to Marvel Now, but I will eventually drop some of those and hover around a core of about 15-20 titles. In addition to that, I try to pick up back issues of runs I missed out on (usually digitally) or trades.

When AvX was messing everything up, I think I was following like 10 books total.

JJD

Guys I'm not following Batman comics so close right now but can anyone explain to me
if after Batman Incorporated 8 Damian will be dead in the rest of the Bat family books as well? I always thought that Morrison's Batman Incorporated wasn't on the same continuity as the New 52.

Owzers

I'm at 45-50 books a month including double shipping, but i tend to sell almost every series i read after an arc/run finishes.

I wasn't a big fan of Mask of the red Panda #1 but it was a small initial buy-in and decent, so i'm not disappointed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Guys I'm not following Batman comics so close right now but can anyone explain to me
if after Batman Incorporated 8 Damian will be dead in the rest of the Bat family books as well? I always thought that Morrison's Batman Incorporated wasn't on the same continuity as the New 52.

Inc is in the same continuity as the rest of the bat-books. For the bat-books you can basically pretend that the New52 never really happened as almost nothing changed other than Babs getting the use of her legs back and they didn't need the New52 to do that (especially the way they did it, with a surgery and whatnot). Sadly
Damian is gone.

Comics

Only DC comics for me this week, no Iron man or Spider man.

Teen Titans: WTF happened here? So confused where this is going and it was really creepy seeing Tim smiling so much like that. Also Kiran is a cheating bitch! lol

Aquaman: Dropped now that the war is over so nothing much to say.

Since we are comparing pull lists.

I have 11 subscriptions now.

9 of which are DC comics and the last 2 are Ironman and Superior Spider-man.

Costs me about $12-$20 a week depending on schedules.

JJD

Inc is in the same continuity as the rest of the bat-books. For the bat-books you can basically pretend that the New52 never really happened as almost nothing changed other than Babs getting the use of her legs back and they didn't need the New52 to do that (especially the way they did it, with a surgery and whatnot). Sadly
Damian is gone.

Thanks Dubs!

I think they should have determined that Morrison's book was outside the new continuity (maybe they didn't because it would piss off Grant? And let Snyder kill Damian as well (on the same month or later to not spoil Incorporated) on his Death In The Family arc. Imagine Inc. 8 and Batman 18 going out on the same week each with a different version of Damian's death. It could confuse casual comic readers but it would give Snyder story much needed lasting consequences. I still have not noticed a difference in the in the relationship of Bats and his people. Death in the Family was a dud IMO.

I'll miss Damian, at first I hated him, but he grew on me.

Anyone knows if killing him was Grant plan from the start?

Comics

Teen Titans: WTF happened here? So confused where this is going and it was really creepy seeing Tim smiling so much like that. Also Kiran is a cheating bitch! lol

Comics are an expensive hobby. I was going digital crazy, impulse buying a lot of books besides my usual ones, but I have trimmed my pull list a lot over the past weeks. I was beginning to get comic burnout considering the amount of shit I was reading.

I'm really not entirely sure about Uncanny X-Men. Bachalo's art doesn't seem to be up to snuff, and the dialog is awkward as fuck. I'll probably stick with it till issue 5 just in case it turns around.

Comics

Of all the Marvel Comics, you're picking up Greg Land's trace-fest? I commend you, I couldn't sit through that if it were the greatest story ever.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks Dubs!

I think they should have determined that Morrison's book was outside the new continuity (maybe they didn't because it would piss off Grant? And let Snyder kill Damian as well (on the same month or later to not spoil Incorporated) on his Death In The Family arc. Imagine Inc. 8 and Batman 18 going out on the same week each with a different version of Damian's death. It could confuse casual comic readers but it would give Snyder story much needed lasting consequences. I still have not noticed a difference in the in the relationship of Bats and his people. Death in the Family was a dud IMO.

If you look at Nightwing and Talon you can already see the rifts opening up between Dick and Bruce. Dick
is actually moving to Chicago
in a few issues, due in part to what Joker did. I'd wait until more of the Batfamily books come out and until Batman itself hits in a few weeks before saying nothing happened.

JJD

Well...there hasn't been a new issue yet. :lol

True, but frankly
I believe that any lasting repercussions will mostly be felt because of Damian's death on Inc. and not because of Joker shenanigans on the Death in the Family arc.

If Grant didn't kill Damian I bet shit would stay more or less the same. Batman was mostly going solo on Snyder's book from the beginning besides a few appearances here and there

akira28

I dunno why Owl story Bruce just went and punched Dick in the face. They were never *that* cool, and Bruce was never that fucked up unless he was completely fucked up. Like on drugs or something.

I know it exposed the magic tooth and all of that, but that just struck me as really weird.

True, but frankly
I believe that any lasting repercussions will mostly be felt because of Damian's death on Inc. and not because of Joker shenanigans on the Death in the Family arc.

If Grant didn't kill Damian I bet shit would stay more or less the same. Batman was mostly going solo on Snyder's book from the beginning besides a few appearances here and there

Did you read Red Hood?

I'm also thinking of giving Flex Mentallo another chance. It wasn't fair of me not to finish it, and maybe I need to look at it from some other perspective.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I dunno why Owl story Bruce just went and punched Dick in the face. They were never *that* cool, and Bruce was never that fucked up unless he was completely fucked up. Like on drugs or something.

I know it exposed the magic tooth and all of that, but that just struck me as really weird.

He punched him to show him the thing in his molar and to get him to calm down. They've been pretty buddy buddy lately, especially in Snyder's book as well as Nightwing's own book.

JJD

If you look at Nightwing and Talon you can already see the rifts opening up between Dick and Bruce. Dick
is actually moving to Chicago
in a few issues, due in part to what Joker did. I'd wait until more of the Batfamily books come out and until Batman itself hits in a few weeks before saying nothing happened.

I know you're right, but I didn't read any of the other Bat family books besides Snyder's and I never felt like the family was that important for Bats since the New 52 started (going by Snyder book which was mostly Bruce and Alfred with a few cameos here and there like on the Owls arc were frankly they couldn't leave any member of the family behind considering it was kinda of a big event).

It's funny how the major repercussions of Death in The Family are probably going to be felt outside it's original book.

But yeah, I should wait more before judging the ramifications...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wait when did this chicago with Nightwing thing start? Is that solicits crap? I haven't seen that said in his book or the others I read

There was an interview with the writer of Nightwing not long after the finale to Death of the Family hit where he mentioned it's coming later in the year. It sounded like what happened in DotF and Inc #8 is going to mess with Dick quite a bit. It's a hell of a one-two punch.

oh ok makes sense,
last issue seemed like he was gonna break from the joker thing but Damian was there stalking him to snap him out of it. Now after Inc ... man :/

Didn't Nightwing already move to New York after Infinite Crisis and OYL? Chicago seems like a downgrade.

Speaking of IC, is Bludhaven still wiped out or did the reboot undo that too?

frye

So how is Wood's Ultimate Comics X-Men? I haven't read any of the Ultimate X-Men stuff, but it looks tempting.

I haven't read all of it but from what I've seen, sometimes it's really good and other times it's a bit bland. It's pretty interesting right now since it's taking the status quo of 616 X-Men from House of M to AvX and actually doing things with the "endangered species" idea.

akira28

Didn't Nightwing already move to New York after Infinite Crisis and OYL? Chicago seems like a downgrade.

Speaking of IC, is Bludhaven still wiped out or did the reboot undo that too?

With luck Bludhaven still doesn't exist, because it always sucked and continues to suck. "Oh hey, yeah lets have adventures in the developed suburbs of Gotham. It's where Nightwing hangs out."

I just re read Batman Inc 1-7 before issue#8. There's still a lot of loose ends to tie up. The first page of issue #1 was a flash forward to Bruce and Alfred in a graveyard with the Gotham PD coming to arrest Bruce. Also there's the issue of that future Batman...where Damian was Batman fighting the Joker virus.

Also what does that Oroborous Cube do anyways?

Lombaszko

I just re read Batman Inc 1-7 before issue#8. There's still a lot of loose ends to tie up. The first page of issue #1 was a flash forward to Bruce and Alfred in a graveyard with the Gotham PD coming to arrest Bruce. Also there's the issue of that future Batman...where Damian was Batman fighting the Joker virus.

I'm pretty sure the future Damian from Batman 666, 700 and Inc 5
Was the vision of the future that Bruce saw when traveling through time. Which is also why Bruce pushed Damian away at the end of Inc 5 and told him that if he became Batman it would be the end of the world.

In part 2 of Kevin Smith's interview with Morrison:
He says that he was going to kill Damian after a few issues because that would have messed with Bruce in the way of lost potential for the kid to grow up and be something more than the head of the League of Shadows. Also, I read an interview with Peter Tomasi who says that at least from the start of the New 52 he knew that Damian would be dead and his Batman and Robin book has been dropping hints from the get go.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks Dubs!

Comics are an expensive hobby. I was going digital crazy, impulse buying a lot of books besides my usual ones, but I have trimmed my pull list a lot over the past weeks. I was beginning to get comic burnout considering the amount of shit I was reading.

Bat Inc
Yes, was totally Grant's intention to kill Damo, it's the climax to his story. He actually planned to kill Damian way earlier after batman and son but kept him around. But when you look at his entire run as one story it makes sense for Damian to die.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Did you read Red Hood?

I'm also thinking of giving Flex Mentallo another chance. It wasn't fair of me not to finish it, and maybe I need to look at it from some other perspective.

Felx Mentallo isn't actually about Flex at all, it's about comics and creativity and where ideas come from. Try to get in a more metaphysical headspace and it might make more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom