• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Rucka is a good dude, I loved the first two books of Queen & Country. Gotta wrap that up someday. Also want to read his No Man's Land novelization but the damn thing is not easy to find digitally nor is it at any of my local bookstores.

I've added a new segment to the OT, it'll appear every month from here on. Check it out and give me some feedback so I can add, modify or streamline.

JEKKI

I jus bought a Nexus 7 coz comixology on iphone aint so great and I wanted something to make digital comics better!!!

first thing I loaded onto there: the Josh Wheaton run of Astonishing Xmen!

picked it up for a buck an issue ($24 total) during comixology year end sale!

Lets talk about licensed comics. Who here reads licensed comics? What licenses would you like to see? I would really love to see Animorphs comics. They were pretty much comics to me when I was a kid. This franchise has so much potential and shouldn't be on the shelf.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Chew TV series not going forward.

"There will not be a CHEW TV series on Showtime."

His wording makes you wonder if it's a fakeout and there will be news about the Chew series going to a different network.

Or, yes, it could mean the entire endeavor is kaput.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lets talk about licensed comics. Who here reads licensed comics? What licenses would you like to see? I would really love to see Animorphs comics. They were pretty much comics to me when I was a kid. This franchise has so much potential and shouldn't be on the shelf.

I'd read a comic adaptation of that. Apparently they tried to go back and republish the books a year or so ago so they could smooth out any inconsistencies but they never got very far. That said I'd read the shit out of an Animorphs comic, especially if it had the right team behind it.

Bleeding Cool has another "WTF" -related spoiler on its hands, and apparently it's a big one. It looks as though Mico Suayan, the cover artist for Red Hood and the Outlaws, had posted the full gatefold cover for issue #19 on his site, then quickly removed it when he noticed his error. But not quickly enough, obviously, as the full uncensored image is currently making the rounds on numerous comics message boards and spreading like wildfire. The image is... certainly shocking, to say the least, and may be indicative of a possible "Death of the Family" outcome for a certain former sidekick.

Let's put those spoiler guidelines to the test, and see if Comic GAF can remember what spoiler tags are for.

Link (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS POSSIBLY PERTAINING TO "DEATH OF THE FAMILY", YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

"What The F*ck," indeed.

(That was a hint; use spoiler tags to discuss this.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bleeding Cool has another "WTF" -related spoiler on its hands, and apparently it's a big one. It looks as though Mico Suayan, the cover artist for Red Hood and the Outlaws, had posted the full gatefold cover for issue #19 on his site, then quickly removed it when he noticed his error. But not quick enough, obviously, as the full uncensored image is currently making the rounds on numerous comics message boards and spreading like wildfire. The image is... certainly shocking, to say the least, and may be indicative of a possible "Death of the Family" outcome for a certain former sidekick.

Let's put those spoiler guidelines to the test, and see if Comic GAF can remember what spoiler tags are for.

Link (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS POSSIBLY PERTAINING TO "DEATH OF THE FAMILY", YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

"What The F*ck," indeed.

Christ dude, is no one safe at this point?
(Too much?)

No doubt brah. I'm just surprised with all these companies vying over properties and IPs, that it hasn't been widely used. I'm gonna get on that shit once I have Liefeld level credibility in the industry.

Ad oh my fucking heck at that cover.

Shit dude, it seems like it should be an obvious choice. All the fucking stories are already written, just gotta adapt them. Plus it would look absolutely nuts, a Tiger ripping into a slug monster from space. Who wouldn't read that shit?

I'd read a comic adaptation of that. Apparently they tried to go back and republish the books a year or so ago so they could smooth out any inconsistencies but they never got very far. That said I'd read the shit out of an Animorphs comic, especially if it had the right team behind it.
No doubt brah. I'm just surprised with all these companies vying over properties and IPs, that it hasn't been widely used. I'm gonna get on that shit once I have Liefeld level credibility in the industry.

Ad oh my fucking heck at that cover.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Bleeding Cool has another "WTF" -related spoiler on its hands, and apparently it's a big one. It looks as though Mico Suayan, the cover artist for Red Hood and the Outlaws, had posted the full gatefold cover for issue #19 on his site, then quickly removed it when he noticed his error. But not quick enough, obviously, as the full uncensored image is currently making the rounds on numerous comics message boards and spreading like wildfire. The image is... certainly shocking, to say the least, and may be indicative of a possible "Death of the Family" outcome for a certain former sidekick.

"What The F*ck," indeed.

The cynic in me wants to say this "leak" was all just a part of the plan. What the fuck indeed, indeed...

The art on journey into Sif has been fantastic.

Also Immonen is writing the hell out of it

Yes I'm loving it

I read Adventure Time, Star Wars things off and on and Buffy/Angel things sometimes. Oh and I got the Uncharted, Dead Space, Fringe, and Mass Effect trades. The Skottie Young Wizard of Oz books count? And I'm pretty close to picking up something Doctor Who. I was bummed out by the Farscape books, the art not so great..
Not sure what I'd want to see

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Only licensed comic I read is TMNT but that doesn't even count, right? I really don't care enough about any of the IPs nerds seem to cherish enough to want to commingle them with my comic reading.

The only exception I can think of would be Riddick. I have like some abnormal attachment to that franchise and would consume any amount of media released related to it.

Isn't this wtf stuff just covers?
Not really; supposedly the covers are going to closely relate to something that happens in the book, though whether they do so figuratively or literally is still up for debate. Rich even reported a while back (when this was still just a rumor) that books were ordered rewritten to have a "WTF" -worthy moment in them, and that in some cases the cover moment was decided upon before the actual story was ever written, so that every book could take part in this gimmi- I mean event.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Not really; supposedly the covers are going to closely relate to something that happens in the book, though whether they do so figuratively or literally is still up for debate. Rich even reported a while back (when this was still just a rumor) that books were ordered rewritten to have a "WTF" -worthy moment in them, and that in some cases the cover moment was decided upon before the actual story was ever written, so that every book could take part in this gimmi- I mean event.

So then....
that authority cover could actually mean something awesome?

arkon

I'm reading a couple of the books over at BOOM. Namely Adventure Time, Bravest Warriors and the upcoming Regular Show comic. I'm not 100% sold on Bravest Warriors but I've already got a few issues in my stack so will decide once I've got through those. Transformers books over at IDW and likely soon to be Ghostbusters. I might check out some of the D&D or Pathfinder comics as well.

In terms of what else I'd like to see, it's probably another Farscape book or maybe Babylon5. Something to scratch the space opera/scifi itch, which Prophet and MP do to an extent, but I want more. Huge spaceship battles, lots of PEW PEW, and grand sweeping drama involving all sorts of delicious backstabbing and politics.

It's my favorite Iron Man too although Ellis' Extremis is a close second. Glad someone likes it as much as me. :) I miss Knauf too bad his kickstarter failed.

It was a perfect arc. The Mandarin build up was excellent. I wish they'd collect it in a nice Hardcover or something :\

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
As for licensed books, I wouldn't mind having Darkwing Duck back, if Ian Brill toned down the continuity. The first volume was ridiculous fun, then the plotting started to get in the way.

yep - for all the cool stuff HBO's made, they've been huge dicks about anyone doing anything with Carnivale - and after all that, they don't even have the show on HBO GO.

I don't use my HBO Go, but is that still true? It's still not on the service? Fucking bizarre. I adored that series.

Knauf's heading up the Dracula US/UK show that NBC will be airing sometime in the 2013-14 season. Maybe that'll be decent.

I used to read the Transformers comics before they split into two ongoings. They are actually pretty good for the IP. Over time, they have added quite a bit of depth to some of the characters.

Acid08

Banned
The 90's seemed like a time where every licensed property ever was getting a comic. I guess it was just more viable back then.

Current licensed books I read are TMNT(does that even count?), Adventure Time, and Godzilla Half Century War. Godzilla being the best among them.

-Mikey-

I decided to read my Amethyst books (0-4) tonight. I really liked the art and pace of issue 0. The Beowulf backup oozed atmosphere. Everything from the lettering to colors works very well. Decided to continue reading and realized I didn't pick up issue 1. Lame!

Acid08

Banned
Do you guys ever read comics in a different state of mind

Sometimes I try to read after I burn but it usually doesn't go over well. Some of Morrison's stuff in particular is hard to read because it requires a level awareness that I just do not have under the influence.

Immortal Iron Fist and Batwoman were good stoned reads.

Troll

Banned
All I ask is that no one fucking ruins Batman on Wednesday. I don't get out of class until 7 p.m.

I'm going digital on that issue then reading it ASAP. You should probably just call out sick, man.

Sometimes I try to read after I burn but it usually doesn't go over well. Some of Morrison's stuff in particular is hard to read because it requires a level awareness that I just do not have under the influence.

Immortal Iron Fist and Batwoman were good stoned reads.

Swampy by Alan Moore.

I decided to read my Amethyst books (0-4) tonight. I really liked the art and pace of issue 0. The Beowulf backup oozed atmosphere. Everything from the lettering to colors works very well. Decided to continue reading and realized I didn't pick up issue 1. Lame!

Amethyst has been a real gem.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Just caught up with Wolvie & Xmen.Pretty decent first arc then it just went to shit with the AVX tie in issues. What's a decent marvel funnybook these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom