• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

i want Absolute Blackest Night...but probably not enough to spend $62.50 for it at half off 125. presuming instocktrades has it on special the week it releases.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK read the first 2 issues of Flex Mentallo, and it's quintessential Morrison. super out-there.

Do you guys ever read comics in a different state of mind

Sometimes I try to read after I burn but it usually doesn't go over well. Some of Morrison's stuff in particular is hard to read because it requires a level awareness that I just do not have under the influence.

Immortal Iron Fist and Batwoman were good stoned reads.

read my mind on all 3 counts, Acid. Hickman's work is also best read sober and focused.

best current stuff to read after burning: Orc Stain & Chew.

Saga of the Swamp Thing, or the New 52 series?

he's talking about Saga of the Swamp Thing. it's a beautiful story with surreal and dark and trippy art. also, lots of greenery in it.

Owzers

I'm not sure I could follow the story even with the Absolute edition.

medium_screen_shot_2011-01-17_at_4.01.03_pm.png

Basically this.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Why you put yourself through that torture if you don't like it drop it.

It's not torture. I don't hate it. I just don't like it. You know there can be a middling stage between rabid, frothy, fanblob love of a book and thinking its not fit for print.

I started reading it in the first place to keep up with the Joneses. It's a pretty big, tentpole series for DC and it's not like it's Superman bad.

It's not torture. I don't hate it. I just don't like it. You know there can be a middling stage between rabid, frothy, fanblob love of a book and thinking its not fit for print.

I started reading it in the first place to keep up with the Joneses. It's a pretty big, tentpole series for DC and it's not like it's Superman bad.

Gotcha.

frye

I like Batman. Kind of.

The thing is, I've been reading Scott Snyder comics for...3 years now? and my first impression of him - "all right, so here's a guy who is okay to good with the potential to be great one day" - hasn't changed once. I don't think he's grown as a writer at all. It's especially disappointing that he has no real incentive to change up the way he approaches his work because his work is sells well and is loved by comic book review sites.

e: I think what makes me keep coming back are the people he works with. They're usually really good.

I like Batman. Kind of.

The thing is, I've been reading Scott Snyder comics for...3 years now? and my first impression of him - "all right, so here's a guy who is okay to good with the potential to be great one day" - hasn't changed once. I don't think he's grown as a writer at all. It's especially disappointing that he has no real incentive to change up the way he approaches his work because his work is sells well and is loved by comic book review sites.

Isn't that, like, the definition of good? I mean, Saga (as an example) sells well and is loved by comic book review sites. How is that different?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Isn't that, like, the definition of good?

No I get what he's saying. He's saying Snyder's good, but hasn't really been pushed and can still be a lot better than he really is. Which is very fair. I think part of that is due to how big a mess DC's editorial is though, normally that would be the editor's job but you've all seen what they're mostly like.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
That's incredibly astute of you, frye. I remember reading his run on Detective and being really impressed, and excited about how he could grow as a writer. I think a lot of what makes his current Batman work underwhelming is because of the expectations he set with his earlier work.

I'm also pretty bummed that he had to put American Vampire on hiatus, as it is far and away his best work.

No I get what he's saying. He's saying Snyder's good, but hasn't really been pushed and can still be a lot better than he really is. Which is very fair. I think part of that is due to how big a mess DC's editorial is though, normally that would be the editor's job but you've all seen what they're mostly like.

I don't see how "editorial" is really influencing Snyder's run though. The only thing I think you could accuse them of is the numerous Bat-title tie ins, but that really goes with the territory when the properties are as linked as they are. It'd make less sense for them to all be in the same City and yet not cross paths.

Guess I just don't see the complaints. Court of Owls was a pretty awesome take / creation of a new entity / mythos and while not every tie in of the Death of the Family run has been stellar, it has been a fun ride so far.

I will say that Snyder's best work is between American Vampire and his Detective Run. Then I read his Batman and loved it up until issue 8 and thought it dragged out way too long and the end reveal was lame. I picked up the Death of the Family based solely on the Joker coming back and I'm enjoying it so far largely because it's length was shorter than the Owls arc.

Acid08

Banned
Owls definitely lasted too long but its highs were so stellar it's kind of easy to overlook.

Death of the Family totally benefits from being shorter. I wasn't so hot on issue 15 though, but three of four isn't bad. I bet this next issue will be great too.

frye

Isn't that, like, the definition of good? I mean, Saga (as an example) sells well and is loved by comic book review sites. How is that different?

Hmm, I guess I don't see sales and acclaim from CBR or whatever to be indicative of quality. He's definitely successful - there's really no doubt about that - but for me, Snyder feels someone who never grew as a writer the way I wanted him to. It's just frustrating is all.

Saga's an interesting case for me because I think BKV has improved a lot as a writer since his time on Y/Ex Machina. I couldn't stand Y but Saga is hitting me in a way that series didn't. Sales/acclaim just happens to be coinciding with my own feelings with this one and not on Batman.

That's incredibly astute of you, frye. I remember reading his run on Detective and being really impressed, and excited about how he could grow as a writer. I think a lot of what makes his current Batman work underwhelming is because of the expectations he set with his earlier work.

Yeah, there's something to his work and I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't think that. But I really hope he gets a Matt Fraction "aha!" moment one day cuz that was a dude who was putting out great stuff with Image and by the time he came to Marvel he was just doing some real shitty comics before knocking it out of the park with Hawkeye/FF.

Death of the Family totally benefits from being shorter. I wasn't so hot on issue 15 though, but three of four isn't bad. I bet this next issue will be great too.

I feel the same 15 had lot of dialogue that could have been done in a few pages but 16 was pretty great.

Troll

Banned
Let's not judge this Batman arc until Weds. I mean, let's see what happens first and then we can either bitch about it or talk about how great that issue was. I'm not sure if I will be sticking with Batman after 17, the Joker story is probably as good as it's going to get and I haven't really been that crazy about it. It's good, but I might trade wait after this.

Lol who even reads comic reviews?

Some brah on comicvine gave Invincible 100 a five star review.

Invincible 100 was the most disappointing comic that I've read in a long, long time.

Acid08

Banned
Considering the upshot was
DUN-DUN-DUN! A RETURN TO THE STATUS QUO!
Yes, pretty much.
At least he didn't kill Mark. He just went to the total opposite extreme and did nothing. A better writer than Kirkman would have been able to find the sweet spot in between both of those extremes.

Let's not judge this Batman arc until Weds. I mean, let's see what happens first and then we can either bitch about it or talk about how great that issue was. I'm not sure if I will be sticking with Batman after 17, the Joker story is probably as good as it's going to get and I haven't really been that crazy about it. It's good, but I might trade wait after this.

It comes out this Wednesday ?

Batwing is a book I never see talked about in here.

I loved the first arc. it got lost in crossover hell for a while and I decided to begin tradewaiting it. I haven't checked to see when the second volume comes out in trade. All my friends who still read it monthly say it hasn't really rebounded so I've got low expectations.

Acid08

Banned
I loved the first arc. it got lost in crossover hell for a while and I decided to begin tradewaiting it. I haven't checked to see when the second volume comes out in trade. All my friends who still read it monthly say it hasn't really rebounded so I've got low expectations.
Trade waiting a DC book? 2015 release at the earliest.

Troll

Banned
I only know Batwing from what I read in Batman Inc. Not really interested in getting into a new DC book.

So I wasn't into comics when the whole new 52 thing happened, do you guys think it was the right thing to do?

Acid08

Banned
LOL holy shit

Also, according to Image's website, East of West is starting on the 27th. Hope that's true but their shipment info isn't always up to snuff. They say Manhattan Projects is getting double shipped this month, puhlease. These dudes can barely get an issue out every month and a half.

I only know Batwing from what I read in Batman Inc. Not really interested in getting into a new DC book.

So I wasn't into comics when the whole new 52 thing happened, do you guys think it was the right thing to do?

For Dc Maybe but my favorite thing about DC was how they had like Old Flashes, Arrows and Batmans and stuff hanging out with the new guys. So you'd have Jay and Wally, Bart and Iris all doing stuff. Same with Bruce, Barbara, Dick, Tim, Cassandra, Steph, Damien and Diana, Donna and Cassie...blahbalhblah. Its all gone and I'm still hanging around but thats missing for me.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That new thunderbolts really is a new tier of shit. I blame it on Red Hulk.

I blame it on Red Everything. Way is a bit too giddy with the LOOK RED theme. Expect future villains to include Red Ghost, Crimson Dynamo, Red Skull and Carnage.

EdmondD

For Dc Maybe but my favorite thing about DC was how they had like Old Flashes, Arrows and Batmans and stuff hanging out with the new guys. So you'd have Jay and Wally, Bart and Iris all doing stuff. Same with Bruce, Barbara, Dick, Tim, Cassandra, Steph, Damien and Diana, Donna and Cassie...blahbalhblah. Its all gone and I'm still hanging around but thats missing for me.

Yeah, I miss the Justice Society of America. All these old, legendary heroes teaching the next generation. I miss all the Flashes. I still enjoy the New 52 but I miss that sense of history.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I blame it on Red Everything. Way is a bit too giddy with the LOOK RED theme. Expect future villains to include Red Ghost, Crimson Dynamo, Red Skull and Carnage.

I assume that's some sort of editorial nonsense since Cable and X-Force doing the same thing but with orange.

Troll

Banned

I love Dillon. He's the only reason I gave Thunderbolts a chance. His work in this hasn't been that great either.

Nu52 gave us Talon. So it was worth it.

LiQuid!

You guys... I can't handle Quitely's Quentin Quire. He looks fucking geriatric. I can't take it.

LiQuid!

All New X-Men

New Jean is AWESOME.

Beast is also awesome! Which current books have more Beast?

He has been in Secret Avengers a lot, but I think that's ending next issue.

Acid08

Banned
Finally read Hawkguy #7, was a really fun issue. Loved that Grills' dad was drinking Mickey's. Can't wait to have Aja back this month.

Owzers

Batwoman #16 was indeed as good as reviewers/gaf/gafreviewers said it was, best issue since #5. Great panel layouts like you'd hope to find in a JHWilliams book, the story wasn't as bad as it could have been and kept moving well. Sixteen will probably be my last issue of the series though, it's not consistent enough to keep me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom