• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So apparently Dustin Nyugen either isn't drawing Justice League Beyond anymore or he's just taking a break. Either way not a bad chapter, miss his art though since he didn't even do the cover.

Really happy with how Immonen picked up JiM after Gillen's epic run. The art by Schitti is stellar. Sif is frickin' badass.

Has anyone read the Batman & Robin Annual? Is it worth picking up?

Splatt

Absolutely. "Haunted" is the best Iron Man story ever.

yes yes

126331_o.gif

yes!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
17 is likely gonna be my last issue of Batman. Stuck with it way too long for a book I don't like.

I can't get over how bad of an issue Invincible 100 was. Kirkman is probably the only one who could not knock himself out of position as worst written issue of 2013. Your move brah.

Holy fuck.

The Wolverine: Adamantium Collection HC includes:
· Wolverine: Origin by Paul Jenkins and Adam Kubert
· Wolverine: Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith
· Wolverine by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller
· Wolverine: Not Dead Yet by Warren Ellis and Leinil Yu
· Wolverine & The X-Men by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo
· And unforgettable single issue stories by Larry Hama, Mark Millar, Dave Cockrum, Jim Lee and Kaare Andrews!

What the shit, Marvel. I need this.

I gave up with Batman after the first Death of the Family issue. I just can't get interested in DC comics anymore. Last series I really liked was Geoff Johns' Teen Titans.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
the court of owls stuff was bad, but i can't help but feel super creeped out by this joker arc (in a good way)

"Creeped out" isn't an emotion that registers with me at all, least of all in comic books. I thought issue 13 was pretty good and made it seem like Joker was just going to go off on a vindictive rampage but then after a couple impossibly boring issues this last one basically just turned into yet another torture room for Bruce to get trapped in. Maybe it would be more interesting if I were reading any of the tie ins, but just going off what is happening in the main book, this is just as bad as NotO.

Owzers

Got my dcbs shipment and read Invincible 99 and 100.....enjoyable-ish, a bit deflated for the hype. The coloring was also really bad in places, looked very murky/mustardy.

I really wonder what you guys are reading that is apparently so godlike as to diminish Night of the Owls and Death of the Family to such casual disregard and disdain.

And then I want to call bullshit.

LiQuid!

I really wonder what you guys are reading that is apparently so godlike as to diminish Night of the Owls and Death in the Family to such casual disregard and disdain.

And then I want to call bullshit.

I'm not sure how you can consider reading 17+ issues of a comic in the process of determining you don't like it "casual disregard."

LiQuid!

Capullo's great. I even like Snyder. Just reading this Batman stuff has been compulsory. I get no pleasure from it.
It's kind of surprising to hear people hate on Batman when more than half will still buy the next issue.
Not "hating on" anything bro. It's just not for me. I don't care about Batman in general, much less seeing him put through the equivalent of a Saw film for 2 years. It's not the type of story I'm interested in at all.

arkon

So I'm just going to avoid this thread when Batman 17 comes out wont be able to get it until that Friday.

Seems like the best course of action really. Leaves no doubt. Otherwise you're relying on everyone else being on top form with their spoiler tags. The posts will still be here when you come to the thread again :D

Owzers

It's kind of surprising to hear people hate on Batman when more than half will still buy the next issue.

I'd give it a 6 or 7ish but i like the art and i am a sucker for hype so i'll keep reading. Its had some really good issues too, a few in the middle of court of owls when batman was getting batty, but issue #15 was particularly terrible. Time to read #16 now.

Walking Dead #106: Kirkman sometimes rivals Bendis with accomplishing as little as possible in a given issue, this was definitely one of those times where not much happens.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Holy fuck.

The Wolverine: Adamantium Collection HC includes:
· Wolverine: Origin by Paul Jenkins and Adam Kubert
· Wolverine: Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith
· Wolverine by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller
· Wolverine: Not Dead Yet by Warren Ellis and Leinil Yu
· Wolverine & The X-Men by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo
· And unforgettable single issue stories by Larry Hama, Mark Millar, Dave Cockrum, Jim Lee and Kaare Andrews!

What the shit, Marvel. I need this.

Thing is freaking HUGE.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1359760220.jpg

That doesn't seem like $200 worth of content to me, though. You're paying for the fact that it's a massive book that won't fit on any bookshelf ever.

frye

That doesn't seem like $200 worth of content to me, though. You're paying for the fact that it's a massive book that won't fit on any bookshelf ever.

Well, yeah. This thing seems to be Marvel's attempt at entering the high-end art showcase hardcovers a la DC's Absolutes and IDW's Artist Editions.

The way they're just shoving a bunch stories that happen to feature Wolverine and that MSRP is super dumb tho.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Well, yeah. This thing seems to be Marvel's attempt at entering the high-end art showcase hardcovers a la DC's Absolutes and IDW's Artist Editions.

they been in there before: x-statix, immortal iron fist, new x-men...

frye

they been in there before: x-statix, immortal iron fist, new x-men...

I dunno - Marvel's omnibuses tend to be more for binding as many pages as humanly possible to sell at a relatively cheap price. I like them but they're a step behind Absolutes/AEs.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I dunno - Marvel's omnibuses tend to be more for binding as many pages as humanly possible to sell at a relatively cheap price. I like them but they're a step behind Absolutes/AEs.

Oh man, is that true? I only have Absolute editions, but I was hoping to score the 3 omnibuses I mentioned at some point.

Batman is too cool to like now so I must hate it

Not stopping anyone from splooging over Hickman's Avengers.

I really wonder what you guys are reading that is apparently so godlike as to diminish Night of the Owls and Death of the Family to such casual disregard and disdain.

Hawkeye.

Agreed.

I really loved the first few issues of his arc and the one shot-ish stories between Owls and Death were great (the one drawn by Cloonan).

He really shines sometimes like when batman magnetized the subway car to stick all the metal face guys to it in issue 1?

frye

Oh man, is that true? I only have Absolute editions, but I was hoping to score the 3 omnibuses I mentioned at some point.

Oh, they're still good products (I have IIF and X-Statix myself) and honestly as far as page count goes, Marvel Omniboo tend to be better bang for your buck than Absolutes. It's just that the focus is on value rather than art.

I got a few Absolutes, but only of stories I absolutely love(New Frontier, All-Star Superman, Dark Knight Returns, Ronin), otherwise for that price I'd get a slightly smaller but MUUUUCH bigger page count Marvel Omnibus.

This Dark Horse Fear Agent Omnibus is the shit too, though. It's about as big as an Absolute All-Star Superman for 1/3rd the price, AND 100 more pages

frye

I got a few Absolutes, but only of stories I absolutely love(New Frontier, All-Star Superman, Dark Knight Returns, Ronin), otherwise for that price I'd get a slightly smaller but MUUUUCH bigger page count Marvel Omnibus.

Yeah, I dig the format but the price:page ratio is pretty absurd for those books and, like you said, very few (the ones you mentioned are pretty much it for me as well) are genuinely worth it. Who the fuck wants Absolute Blackest Night?

Absolute Top Ten comes out in April, might have to spring for that shit. Oversized Gena Ha, all those wonderfully detailed panels...

Eh. I liked Blackest Night but mostly because it dealt with some concepts I enjoy. I've always been a fan of the idea of people having to deal with someone they care about who isn't actually the person they think they are. Corruption of the self.

A good example of this would be DC Comics Presents: The Legion Of Super-Heroes #1 - 100-Page Spectacular - Legion of the Damned. Fucking love this story.

tim1138

Yeah, I dig the format but the price:page ratio is pretty absurd for those books and, like you said, very few (the ones you mentioned are pretty much it for me as well) are genuinely worth it. Who the fuck wants Absolute Blackest Night?

I would if it included the whole story, leaving the GLC issues out is very odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom