• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

I... can agree with this.

Both statements.

I was a bit of a brony for a while.

I don't want to talk about it.

134332%20-%20animated%20look_at_him_and_laugh%20macro%20pinkie_pie.gif

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Join the party man. A good part of why i got this was to read it without that awful new color job.

Yeah, I have the colored version. I think the new colors look really good, but I'm a huge fan of the black and white work. If I ever have some extra spending money, I'll pick up this version.

I'm okay with never really experiencing the brony life. My friend is. Or was. Tried to convince me that the series was just like Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Naturally I refused to believe him, though admittedly the comparison piqued my interest.

Still haven't watched it, though. Probably never will.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Catching up on Silver Surfer before reading ANAD issue 1.

What a mind fuck issue 15 was.

I'm okay with never really experiencing the brony life. My friend is. Or was. Tried to convince me that the series was just like Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I've seen a few episodes of MLP, it's a pretty good kids show. But I can't watch more than two in a row. The colors will burn your eyes.

frye

ponies are extremely bad and the number of ponies in the last two pages is too damn high

Looks so big, and already don't have room on the shelves.

isn't just already printed work enlarged?

if it's like the IDW books it's the original artwork scanned

Looks so big, and already don't have room on the shelves.

isn't just already printed work enlarged?

Yeah. But not exactly "enlarged". This was the original size Sakai drew. LIke frye said, they are scans of his original artwork. You see a lot more detail.

Owzers

Can we get back to what this thread is about? Talking about comic books and Olivia Wilde.

Trump lost Iowa :( I've pretended to like Trump for so long now that i don't know what's real anymore.

Also, I read Groot #3 on MU, the issue where he teams up with Dawn and Surfer. I'm still liking the book and its slight silliness, i appreciated Dawn talking about Surfer "surferizing" as i am not a fan of Slott's style in the main Surfer book which often feels stilted.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
All caught up on Silver Surfer before ANAD. What a brilliant book.

Hour & a half flew by reading it.

That digital Supergirl comic is cute. Love Bengal's art.

edit: why are there like 10 different My Little Pony pics/gifs in the past two pages

X-Force by Yost and Kyle: The Complete Collection Vol. 1

So, this is far, FAR more brutal and bloody than I thought it would be. I knew it was a dark book. It's why I picked it up. Good god though, this...this goes places. Not only that, this is the worst X-team ever. Not in the sense of writing, but in the sense of the actual characters. Logan is a shit leader who can't control anyone; Laura is completely cold and detached, and is constantly focused more on the efficiency and the kill over anything; Warren and Wolfsbane are both complete wildcards (Warren because of Archangel and Wolfsbane because of the brainwashing she suffered earlier); Warpath is in it for revenge, but constantly has moral conflicts that cause him to hesitate. However, the team slowly merges together with the addition of Elixir. He's the one character that Laura connects with, which keeps her from being the cold, programmed X-23. Domino also adds a nice bit of levity to the group, but Vanisher is also a rogue element, remaining on the team strictly via blackmail.

On another note, the book heavily deals with every character hoisting a heavy duality in some form or another. Logan has to balance between being the kill-hungry berserker or the X-Man who has to lead by example. Laura has to effectively find her humanity, even though it's much easier to go back into being a cold, programmed killer. In fact at some point, her solution to deal with everyone is to kill them. Warren's struggle is the most blatant, visually, since he has to combat the resurgence of his Archangel persona. Death, as it were, wants to constantly take over and kill and kill. Warren's struggle to control this is less moral, and far more physical and mental. Rahne also has the most blatant tightrope to walk, as the control over her animalistic side becomes considerably more difficult due to the brainwashing she suffered at the hands of her own father. Not only struggling with herself as a "demon" and a "beast," but also as a human girl who just feels so goddamned lonely and lost. Warpath's conflict is more of a classical "good guy entering a dark world and trying not to lose himself." He also struggles with the gritty realism of the world around him, and the spirituality of his culture and heritage. Elixir is the most well-adjusted of the characters, in that he's completely aware of what needs to be done and is willing to do it. Though, he also struggles with it, realizing that he's not only required to heal, but also to kill; an aspect of his powers he is not a fan of.

Domino and Vanisher...eh. They don't really show much. Vanisher is being blackmailed and Domino, though she questions the motivations of the group, she completely goes along with it. Cyclops is also a recurring character who definitely has to walk a very, VERY unstable bridge that is the embodiment of, "Do the ends justify the means?" Even the Stepford Cuckoos are a bit uncomfortable with the operations once they full realize what they're involved in. All in all, the book does a fantastic job of developing these characters, which is all that a person can really ask for in a team book, especially an X-book.

Now for the plot: This book honestly has a really good story: stopping the Purifiers. The Purifiers have always been in the darker section of the X-mythos. To have a dark X-book use them for the primary plot driver makes sense. Making Bastion some religious figure just plain works. On the other hand, this book also feels a lot like a successor to every New Mutants book. I feel left out, in that regard, because I've never read any New Mutants. In fact, the only real experience I have with them is via certain X-books as minor characters, or "Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men." Stuff like Rahne's storyline, the Technocracy (which is derived from something related to Warlock, I think), the Demon Bear, X-23's character arc, etc.

Another plot thread to touch on, is the Selene story, which I'm aware ends with Necrosha. Necrosha, which I have not read, but have come to understand is a highly disliked story. Regardless, I'm intrigued. Starting the story on some Fullmetal Alchemist "Turn this city into a transmutation circle" bullshit is something I'm okay with. Not only that, the plot so far interweaves so well with the resurgence of anti-mutant violence...it just works so well right now. Up next is the Messiah War, so we'll see how that plays out.

Superficially, Yost and Kyle's dialogue works, but it's a bit repetitive. A lot of Logan swearing constantly. It's not a dealbreaker, but the abundance of it burdens the dialogue with a monotony that is never a good thing. Crain's art is also just not very good. Servicable. At all points the art is serviceable, except for the Palo/Loughridge combo on "Ain't No Dog," which is awesome. The reason why I say "serviceable" is because, the character designs and anatomy kind of suck for the most part, but they are distinct enough that the characters can be set apart and the anatomy is consistent enough so that the characters retain the aforementioned design The fights don't feel super kinetic, but kinetic enough to the point where they're still enjoyable. This book is also insanely gory, which can be make more break for most. The colors that the book uses are perfect, however, so I suppose it's how things are drawn as opposed to how it's colored.

All in all: I liked it quite a bit.

TheFlow

Banned
I only started reading it last year. Finished the box set and the first two saga collections. Trying to read them as slowly as I can.
I started in 2012 but I waited for the saga collections to come out to catch back up. I am still on the third saga volume

ElNarez

Banned
I'm PRETTY sure we had that exact pony discussion, with those exact same gifs, before

what the fuck is wrong with y'all

Messi

Yeah, this Spidey book is legit. It's just fun and it has all the classic villians. The art is really damn cool too.

Edit: #3 is this week. Awesome.

Messi

Second issue of Squadron Supreme was better than the first. It explained much more about who each person is and tbh it felt like it should have been the first issue. Entire team is full of shit bags. But I am curious to see what happens to them.

Second issue of Squadron Supreme was better than the first. It explained much more about who each person is and tbh it felt like it should have been the first issue. Entire team is full of shit bags. But I am curious to see what happens to them.

Wasn't that basically the premise of Thunderbolts, too? Or are these guys just assholes and not villains?

Sandfox

The first part of your statement seems to contrdict the second part.
Not really. They simply saw Namor for example as a villian for his actions and took him down.
Nah.

You don't get to say that when one of them just kicked around Namor's head after decapitating him.
Certain members on the team really hated him and felt he deserved it. It's explained in the third issue that
they have given up on acting within the law after their worlds were destroyed and the team's mission is to protect their new home at all costs.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
we counting this one as our first ComicGaf death or we lumping him in with the rest of MarvelHeroesGaf that just died, since thats where I see him lately?

ZnWKopD.png

;_;

Top Bottom