• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
oH3sC6F.png

UWEJLf8.png

SDCC 2015 NeoGAF Official Thread (thanks Diggeh)

MR6n8.png

jN7ViEh.jpg

rW7svx3.jpg

+Secret Wars #4 by Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic (Jul 1). Glory to god emperor Doom, creator of all that is or shall be! Woe unto his enemies the invaders from what came before, and that accursed RICHAAAAAARDS!!!
+Star Wars: Lando #1 by Charles Soule and Alex Maleev (Jul 8). Before he was administrator of Cloud City, Lando Calrissian was a swindler and scoundrel, setting his sights on the biggest score in the galaxy!
+Ant-Man Annual #1 by Nick Spencer and Ramon Rosanas (Jul 15). A classic Marvel villain has returned, and it's going to take two Ant-Men to take them down! Say, just like in that Ant-Man blockbuster in theaters this month!
+Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders #1 by Al Ewing and Alan Davis (Jul 15). Yinsen City has been annexed by the fascist Mondo-City One, and it's up to a ragtag group of heroes to defend the people against the brutal rule of Boss Cage!
+Hail Hydra #1 by Rick Remender and Roland Boschi (Jul 15). Immortal Hydra! Cut off one limb, and two more shall take its place! Yet when an outsider appears in Hydra's utopia, his very presence threatens their perfect rule!
+Daredevil #17 by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee (Jul 29). Matt's made a deal with the devil to stop his life from crashing down, but the devil had other plans. Now, it's going to take all of Matt's cunning to get himself and his friends out unscathed!

QV0uw.png

g1gufrU.jpg

HbzhYmq.jpg

+Prez #2 by Mark Russell and Ben Caldwell (Jul 15). With the election thrown into chaos by Anonymous, the powerful lobbyists behind our nation's corrupt government choose their next pawn in chief: @corndoggirl!
+Aquaman #42 by Cullen Bunn and Trevor McCarthy (Jul 22). Aquaman is on the run, declared an enemy to the kingdom of Atlantis! And now, his former consort Mera joins the hunt, but what will she do when she catches up to her former king and lover?
+Cyborg #1 by David Walker, Ivan Reis and Joe Prado (Jul 22). Victor Stone's cybernetic body is evolving, and he has no idea what's causing it! Can he uncover the secret to these transformations before it's too late?
+Fables #150 vol. 22 TP by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham and More (Jul 22). It's the final issue so big, so jam-packed with creators and content, that it's become it's own trade paperback! See how it all ends in this final issue, er, volume!
+Justice League 3001 #2 by Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis and Howard Porter (Jul 22). The Justice League has to take down an entire planet enslaved by Starro, and they might not be up to the task! Luckily for them, and certain "last daughter of Krypton" is rocketing toward their location (and her cousin) to lend a fist or two!
+Batgirl Annual #3 by Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher and BENGAL (Jul 29). Spyral has arrived in Gotham, and Batgirl is on the case! Can a certain Spyral agent complete his mission and escape before the Batgirl of Burnside recognizes his unmistakeable ass?

9sam5.png

FbFiXor.jpg

0rKxu84.jpg

+We Stand On Guard #1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Steve Skroce (Jul 1). In the not-too distant future, a group of brave Canadian patriots must defend their homeland from the invading armies of... the United States of America! And, they're doing it with GIANT ROBOTS!
+The Wicked + The Divine #12 by Kieron Gillen and Kate Brown (Jul 1). Fandemonium has come and gone, and the aftermath of last issue's shocking events is tearing the gods (and readers!) apart! How can this series go on?!?
+Bloodstrike #1 by Rob Liefeld (Jul 8). A familiar face from the EXTREME Universe has joined the Bloodstrike program, and before his first mission is over he'll be lucky if his life is the only thing he loses!
+Shutter #13 by Joe Keatinge, Leila del Duca and Owen Gieni (Jul 8). Kate Kristopher is at last beginning to understand what makes her such a magnet for danger and the inexplicable, and as she journeys to Venice she'll meet someone just as unique and unforgettable as herself!
+Wolf #1 by Ales Kot and Matt Taylor (Jul 22). Private investigator Antoine Wolfe's death wish gets put on hold when he finds himself charged with protecting an orphan girl, who may be the key to preventing the coming apocalypse!
+Low #8 by Rick Remender and Greg Tocchini (Jul 29). Reeling from the loss of her children, Stel Cain must somehow muster the will to soldier on and complete her journey to the probe, which carries information vital to the survival of the human race.

9CWx4.png

HfrExLj.jpg

RTnZouO.jpg

+Barb Wire #1 by Chris Warner and Patrick Olliffe (Jul 1). Don't call her "babe"! Barbara Kopetski is Steel Harbor's most famous bounty hunter, but in a city where the crooks have superpowers her fame may be short-lived, literally!
+Negative Space #1 by Ryan K. Lindsay and Owen Gieni (Jul 8). Unable to find the proper words for his suicide note, a young man decides to clear his head with a walk -- only to uncover an otherworldy conspiracy to feed on mankind's desperation!
+Rebels #4 by Brian Wood and Andrea Mutti (Jul 8). As the war for independence rages on General George Washington has a special assignment for Seth -- one that will require him to push thoughts of loved ones far from mind if he is to survive!
+The Tomorrows #1 by Curt Pires and Jason Copland (Jul 8). You are not in control of your own destiny; corporations control everything, and every word or action committed online is a weapon that can be turned against you. The revolution starts now!
+Archie vs Predator #4 by Alex de Campi and Fernando Ruiz (Jul 22). With the Riverdale gang reduced in number by guesome death after gruesome death, it's up to Betty and Veronica to set rivalry aside and save Archie from becoming the next trophy!
+Lobster Johnson: A Chain Forged in Iron by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, Troy Nixey and Kevin Nowlan (Jul 29). Santa's been kidnapped after witnessing a brutal murder on his yearly trip, and Christmas will be ruined unless Lobster Johnson can rescue him!

ymY7S.png

ylN3kNN.jpg

qKS49Rl.jpg

+Onyx #1 by Chris Ryall and Gabriel Rodriguez (Jul 1). In our darkest hour, at our time of greatest need, from the farthest corner of the galaxy comes the shining space knight known as Onyx! Has Onyx come to save humanity, however, or to end it?
+Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #47 by Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman and Mateus Santolouco (Jul 1). Two of the Turtles' greatest foes have joined forces, and New York City is overrun by the Stockman Swarm! Reeling and on the run, can the Turtles find a safe place to recover before it's too late?
+Star Trek/Green Lantern #1 by Mike Johnson and Angel Hernandez (Jul 8). In the ruins of a distant planet, the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise makes a discovery that will change what they think they know about the cosmos, and reignite the War of Light!
+Godzilla in Hell #1 by James Stokoe (Jul 15). The King of the Monsters has descended into the underworld, and Hell doesn't stand a chance! Godzilla's journeys have taken him where he's never gone before, to a fiery place just begging to get stomped!
+Jem & the Holograms #5 by Kelly Thompson and Sophie Campbell (Jul 15). Their first concert ended in disaster, and now the Holograms' music career may be over before it's even begun! Who was behind it all, and how far will Kimber go to expose them?
+Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #721 by Various Writers and Artists (Jul 15). Disney's longest-running comic series has returned, kicking off a twelve-part epic featuring Mickey, Goofy, Donald and the rest in "The Search for the Zodiac Stone"!

4T1fu.png

zIZfmSz.jpg

oRkIOeP.jpg

+The Spire #1 by Simon Spurrier and Jeff Stokely (Boom!, Jul 1). In the desert city of Spire, a massive tower inhabited by millions, watch commander Sha must overcome prejudice and treachery as she investigates a string of grisly serial killings!
+Will Eisner's The Spirit #1 by Matt Wagner and Dan Schlade (Dynamite, Jul 1). Central City's masked protector has been missing for two years, presumed dead at the hands of one of his enemies. Is The Spirit really gone, or is the truth more sinister than even Dolan, Ellen, Ebony and Sammy suspect?
+Archie #1 by Mark Waid and Fiona Staples (Archie, Jul 8). Comicdom's most loveable redhead gets a new lease on life and a fresh take for the modern era! As a new school year approaches, things in Riverdale aren't quite what they seem as Archie Andrews is about to face the unexpected!
+Invader Zim #1 by Jhonen Vasquez and Aaron Alexovich (Oni, Jul 8). He'll be back. Sooner or later, the evil that is Zim will return. Dib knows this better than anyone, and he's spent every waking moment preparing for Zim's inevitable return. That time is NOW.
+The Book of Death #1 by Robert Venditti, Robert Gill and Doug Braithwaite (Valiant, Jul 15). A young girl, last of the Geomancers,, has foretold the death of the Valiant Universe. To prevent this coming darkness she and her protector, the Eternal Warrior, must defy every hero and villain in their path!
+Power Up #1 by Kate Leth and Matt Cummings (Boom!, Jul 22). The prophecy states that four warriors of strength and nobility will be granted cosmic powers when the stars align... So how did a disgruntled young woman, a washed-up athlete, a mother of two, and a goldfish get picked?!?

SpD81R8.png

Spoilers. In the age of digital comics, they are increasingly becoming an issue in these threads, as the drive to be first to discuss the week's releases overrides common sense and good posting etiquette. So over the coming weeks and months, the members of Comic GAF will be collaborating on and will eventually be implementing a system of general rules for avoiding spoilers on new comics in the Comics OT thread. But for now, please abide by the temporary guidelines outlined below. And remember, you are being watched and judged by your peers.

1. Discussion of newly released comics that involves specific plot details shall be accompanied at all times by the appropriate use of the
tag function.
2. Direct posting of full-page images from newly released comics using the tags is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
3. Direct posting of images or spoilers from comics that have yet to be released is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
4. Covers, solicitation copy, and/or promotional materials shall not be considered spoilers and are allowed, unless their content involves specific plot details; in those cases, outgoing links with spoiler warnings should be used.
5. The unmarked posting of spoilers related to comics will be allowed after a period of one week (Wednesday to Wednesday) from that comic's release.[/b] ([u]NOTE:[/u] Longer? -Spike)
[b]6. Members of Comic GAF are expected at all times to exercise common sense and polite discretion as a matter of courtesy to fellow posters. I know, tough one.
7. If you are unsure of whether or not posting something would constitute a spoiler, err on the side of caution and use the [SPOILER] tags.[/b]

In short, don't be Stephanie Brown. Don't be... The Spoiler.

Happy reading!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Mutants on the banner. ComicGaf will hate this thread

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm seriously excited for Wolf. Looking forward to Matt Taylor's art and a solid LA detective story that will fill the void True Detective is creating.

Wall of shame since Freeza asked:
Messi
Freezasaurus
Zombine
tim1138
GrandHarrier
ViewtifulJC
PsychBat!
BenjaminBirdie
Tyrant Rave
echoshifting

Onto comics: Really excited for The Spire tomorrow! I loved Six Gun Gorilla and the character designs for this look excellent.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm terrible with names but is the artist that does Waid's current DD on any of the October books? I really dig his style

PsychBat!

Banned
I'm the king of the world, Messi!

Don't tell me you're one of those people who reads comics/manga in the aisle...

No, I very rarely go to Barnes and Nobles and read in aisles. I went there because we have a heatwave and we don't have A/C.
I'm terrible with names but is the artist that does Waid's current DD on any of the October books? I really dig his style
Chris Samnee and no.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm the king of the world, Messi!

No, I very rarely go to Barnes and Nobles and read in aisles. I went there because we have a heatwave and we don't have A/C.

Chris Samnee and no.

My lord, what does the manga section smell like?

So now that it's been a few months

What is the good Star Wars stuff?

Also is descender good

Eyeing it in that comixology sale

Also trees and They're not like us and nameless

Dunno though

Rhaknar

So now that it's been a few months

What is the good Star Wars stuff?

Also is descender good

Eyeing it in that comixology sale

Also trees and They're not like us and nameless

Dunno though

See for yourself next week on MU (according to gketter at least)

Busaiku

The worst thing about post-Secret Wars Daredevil is that Matt will no longer be fabulous.
The current look is the best thing to happen ever.

PsychBat!

Banned
The worst thing about post-Secret Wars Daredevil is that Matt will no longer be fabulous.
The current look is the best thing to happen ever.

I hate this extreme change with an apprentice and no Kirsten (apparently). The synopsis better turn me around.

Morrison Batman is so good. Really loved batman and son, then Batman RIP and the first batman and robin book so far. Really awesome books. Return of Bruce Wayne worth reading ? The whole final encounter with the black glove I loved, I mean, the bad guy injects batman with meth and dumps him on the street ? Man.

Filthy Slug

Morrison Batman is so good. Really loved batman and son, then Batman RIP and the first batman and robin book so far. Really awesome books. Return of Bruce Wayne worth reading ? The whole final encounter with the black glove I loved, I mean, the bad guy injects batman with meth and dumps him on the street ? Man.

Yeah, it's directly part of Morrison's Batman run and, outside of that, is a rad little time travelling story about Bruce Batmanning his way through history. Also, some great art throughout.

Owzers

I gotta post more, but i don't read that many comics each day.

That's what's needed to post more, right guys? Reading? Comics? Comics.

Reading Comics?

PsychBat!

Banned
I did hear a conversation less than 5 feet from me talking about Spider-Gwen's costume, saying that it was cute. Then one of them said that she's not a masochist and wouldn't read 50 years of Spider-Man to understand the current story line. Then they went back to the manga section.

Reminds me of my old thread.

I did hear a conversation less than 5 feet from me talking about Spider-Gwen's costume, saying that it was cute. Then one of them said that she's not a masochist and wouldn't read 50 years of Spider-Man to understand the current story line. Then they went back to the manga section.

Reminds me of my old thread.
She's right though, all of Marvel publishing history has been leading to Secret Wars.....

Rhaknar

New Avengers team consists of 4 mutants, 1 alien and 1 human :eek:

"But Marvel hates mutants"

MattyG

Banned
I just finished reading The Long Halloween. GODDAAAAAMN, that final reveal caught me completely off guard.

Cade

I think JC is an impostor cause after i sent him that code he didn't try to sell it in the thread. i think between bans someone stole his account, who do i contact for help

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
It doesn't seem that the new Marvel line-up is exactly perfect for new readers.

Works for me. Then again I'm not a NEW reader really. It's just been 10-12 years since I was last into comics.

Also Secret Wars itself has been my jumping off point.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So the book that got me to read comics for the first time in over twenty years is getting issue #2 in only a week!

Here's a preview of Providence #2 which does cover some basic details of issue #1:http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03...ore-jacen-burrows-providence-2-cover-gallery/

After I read the first issue I was immediately impressed with Moore's depth of knowledge on the source material. Everyone loves Lovecraft, but when motherfuckers start busting out
Robert W. Chambers
I have to respect that. I can't wait to see where the series goes.

After I finished Providence #1 I went and bought the entire run of
Neonomicon, since it is evidently a sequel to Providence.
If Providence can shock as much as that series, but maintain its subtlety, it'll be a treat indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom