• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

IrishNinja

yeah, i appreciate that daredevil & other books i read are chugging along largely unaffected...still wish lemire's Moon Knight wasn't done

IrishNinja

as a cap fan, im reading steve & sam's books and the event proper - again it's not as bad as some on here are selling it (well, i need to see how it ties up...) it's just longer than it needs to be, like many such events

Secret Empire 7:
This is where I take a break from new Marvel stuff until this event is done.

The Punisher MAX was one of the comics that got me back into the medium, so seeing Frank act like a complete idiot is pathetic. (Especially now with the War Machine news).
The ending was decent, though. I'm really glad to see
Falcon rise up again as Cap. After reading his issues as Cap,
I've really grown to like him a lot, so seeing him back in action is great.
Also, we finally get the Civil War 2 payoff aaaaaand it's so bad. lol
This needs to end with some actual decent writing and a good payoff, or this whole event will be remembered worse than Axis. Holy hell.

akira28

as a cap fan, im reading steve & sam's books and the event proper - again it's not as bad as some on here are selling it (well, i need to see how it ties up...) it's just longer than it needs to be, like many such events

I think if you read the full depth and breadth of the suck, you'd agree with the rest of us.

Why do I get the feeling these events would be better lasting 6-8 issues?

with zero tie ins? because your big events are less self important when they don't disrupt everything else around them. these people work hard on these ideas, and you're supposed to notice and pay attension, dammit.

IrishNinja

I think if you read the full depth and breadth of the suck, you'd agree with the rest of us.

well sure, i mean i can scarcely name a big event where the sidebooks/titles not well written into it weren't shit too. reading them brings down any event, i tend to avoid it unless the writer/direction is the same

i mean, i'm not buying this thing in TPB like i will with Secret War...just that, at the lower rung of events (World War Hulk, Fear Itself, Axis etc) and this doesn't feel like those.

again though, as a cap fan: the initial fun was watching the plan unfold. if we're gonna have a beloved character turn heel, i want it done thoroughly - not like, say, turning wolverine evil and having him job most of the marvel U and kill a single x-man few care about. the strategy, the deals/promises made have been the highlight; i just can't wait to have it tied up and not have one of my favorite characters tied to hydra again too

Messi

YEEEEEESSSSS More Brett Parson Tank Girl after the trilogy. New series announced for the 30th anniversary!

Wonderful-World-Tank-Girl-Cover-A-Parson.jpg

As we prepare to celebrate 30 riotous years of Tank Girl in 2018, Titan Comics are proud to announce that Tank Girl and her ragtag bunch are back, in The Wonderful World of Tank Girl – the first of four brand-new, epic, stand-alone adventures!

The first adventure, entitled “Tank Girl Strikes Again” is written by Alan Martin (Tank Girl co-creator) with art by Brett Parson (Tank Girl Trilogy), and serves as the perfect introduction to this madcap world.

The Wonderful World of Tank Girl follows Titan Comics’ smash success Tank Girl Trilogy (Two Girls, One Tank, Gold, and World War Tank Girl).

In Tank Girl Strikes Again, our anti-heroes try to pull off their biggest caper ever, but, thanks to Booga’s gormless plotting, they barely escape with their lives. This is Tank Girl on true classic, chaotic, idiotic form!

http://www.comicosity.com/tank-girl-rolls-into-30th-anniversary-with-new-mini-series/

So looks like Rainbow Runaways is a mini after all.

I'm sure not giving it a ongoing over fucking Gen X will be worth it.

I mean, what's the plan? Create ongoings knowing they'll be under the cutoff by issue #2, or make mini-series that you'll roll into an ongoing if people read them? Marvel was doing the first and folks got feelings.

The difference between a Luke Cage mini or a Luke Cage ongoing that gets cancelled at #6 is immaterial.

Runaways shouldn't be an ongoing

Truth.

mreddie

Got the Hawkeye by Lemire OHC in today and started reading. Got to the line that says "You're a real 'hawk-eye''" and gave up.

You should have warned us and told you to buy the Thompson Hawkeye.

I mean, what's the plan? Create ongoings knowing they'll be under the cutoff by issue #2, or make mini-series that you'll roll into an ongoing if people read them? Marvel was doing the first and folks got feelings.

The difference between a Luke Cage mini or a Luke Cage ongoing that gets cancelled at #6 is immaterial.

Well, look at Defenders and see how bad the drop is.

Aizo

Banned
Read all the issues of Mother Panic besides the newest one.
Firstly, I really do not like Shawn Crystal's art, and I hope that he never does art on the comic again. Facial expressions are bad, and anything cool in the comic just ended up looking silly and cartoony.

Next, there are still interesting mysteries relating to Violet. The cybernetics, all their functions, and their limits—I'm curious to learn more about this. My brain has been really fried this week, so maybe that's why, but I was a bit confused about what exactly her overall goal is. I liked reading the afterward by Way about what the inspiration for the comic was: how would a modern take on Batman work? A celebrity in modern American society who wants to keep a facade of celebutante with a bad attitude. I'm not exactly certain why, though. Violet seems to act like she doesn't give a shit about anything, and that's the image she wants to push, but she obviously does care deep down. Why create a facade like this? Is it all because she doesn't want people getting too close?

Edit: God dammit. Shawn Crystal is doing more Mother Panic.
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFWHOM3U0AUFdoZ.jpg:large[/IMG]
I feel that his style is so wrong for the tone of this comic.

Messi

Read all the issues of Mother Panic besides the newest one.
Firstly, I really do not like Shawn Crystal's art, and I hope that he never does art on the comic again. Facial expressions are bad, and anything cool in the comic just ended up looking silly and cartoony.

Next, there are still interesting mysteries relating to Violet. The cybernetics, all their functions, and their limits—I'm curious to learn more about this. My brain has been really fried this week, so maybe that's why, but I was a bit confused about what exactly her overall goal is. I liked reading the afterward by Way about what the inspiration for the comic was: how would a modern take on Batman work? A celebrity in modern American society who wants to keep a facade of celebutante with a bad attitude. I'm not exactly certain why, though. Violet seems to act like she doesn't give a shit about anything, and that's the image she wants to push, but she obviously does care deep down. Why create a facade like this? Is it all because she doesn't want people getting too close?

I believe they are changing artist every arc. I feel like I read that somewhere.

VanWinkle

He only buys OHCs. He was also told not to do it and still did as it was a deal...

I buy some trades too.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.pi.gy/q4Lv.jpg[/IMG]

I just don't really buy Marvel trades. I'm sure the Thompson run will get an OHC sometime, though.

Messi

Got caught up on Lady Killer today. It was like really good and stuff. Joelle Jones is a treasure. Is she with DC now?

Yes but she said she can still work on Lady Killer.

She is doing an arc on Batman starting October

Her and Jordie Bellaire.

I've been banging the Lady Killer drum for a while. It's dope. She wrote the second volume after completing writing the first.

Messi

Don't do this to me.

I want Hawkeye by Thompson, and Guardians of the Galaxy by Duggan. Is that so much to ask.

Hawkeye sells 14k. I'd be shocked if they did. It's more likely to get canned tbh. Which would be a shame but unsurprising.

Guardians I can see getting one eventually.

You will get all new all different Avengers by Waid and Asrar and you'll like it. Because that's what we all asked for.

Top Bottom