• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Lol I finished Steph Batgirl, and all of those possible plot stuff down the line (?). Damn, I would had love to see the three Batgirls and the Blackhawks for some time shenanigans.

Too bad Stephanie was only Batgirl for like two years (and not appearing in new 52 till Batman Eternal), but it was quite a enjoyable run.

Yes! Thats one of my favorite books. That later stuff looked like it could have been really fun.

Pachimari

I gotta say, coming from the 90s comic books and cartoon series, and jumping straight into Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty jarring to be honest. It's a little bit hard seeing these characters that I love being altered both in design and in background somewhat, instead of being the classics that I grew up with. Maybe one should have started with the Amazing series to feel comfortable with the material instead. Anyway, now that I'm deep into it I will continue on with Ultimate.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You wouldnt have done any favor to anyway. I guess you would have started with Brand New Day, which avoided the classic Spider-Man villains for like a year or two, but setted up amazing new foes, just to take the old ones and give everyone new powers, costumes and abilities in wake of The Gauntlet and The Grimhunt.

Dont forget, Mac Gargan for example was cannibalistic Venom for years and everything.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just read an amazing piece on Sterns Hobgoblin Arc... man it sounds so gut, I should really unwrapp my Omnibus and read it.

jackdoe

I don't even know what Marvel is doing anymore. This is a picture from big bang of the Monsters Unleashed hardcover.

What are you doing. Wat.
That list of artists is filled with a couple of names who shouldn't be included in an oversized art book *cough* Land and Larroca *cough*.

Finished reading Batman Zero Hour. A bit of a bore and completely skippable. So many redundant issues. I actually think they gave about 3 scripts to 11 diffeerent artists to end up with 11 issues.

Also, I've noticed I've read a lot of comics this year! Hit 100 different series/comics (~840 issues) and it is only the beginning of July.

ElNarez

Banned
I don't even know what Marvel is doing anymore. This is a picture from big bang of the Monsters Unleashed hardcover.

What are you doing. Wat.

hell yeah I want an oversized edition to see all that Salvador Larroca art, that's the kind of thing you want BIG to see all the detail

FA_Teaser-1-600x910.jpg

I'm listening, Titan.

VanWinkle

Just read an amazing piece on Sterns Hobgoblin Arc... man it sounds so gut, I should really unwrapp my Omnibus and read it.

Wow, you haven't read Stern's run? Gotta get on that, bud. Stern probably has the best characterization and banter of Spidey ever.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They need to make a Omnibus on DeMattis Fall of Harry.

Wow, you haven't read Stern's run? Gotta get on that, bud. Stern probably has the best characterization and banter of Spidey ever.
I want to, but its the Omnibus problem 😅 Dont know how to read it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
cWwtgrP.png

Made a new order in IST.

I was debating getting the new version that just came out of the Azzarello/Risso book, but I remembered how much I preferred the what and black art I saw for 100 Bullets, and wished the whole book didn't even have coloring.

It's also a bit cheaper, too, so that helps.

Pachimari

Hmm, I'm 21 issues into Ultimate Spider-Man and I am not sure it's anything special so far. It doesn't seem to have much going on, other than your "weekly villain." It is kind of sterile. Anyway, I'll continue reading seeing if it improves.

Hmm, I'm 21 issues into Ultimate Spider-Man and I am not sure it's anything special so far. It doesn't seem to have much going on, other than your "weekly villain." It is kind of sterile. Anyway, I'll continue reading seeing if it improves.

I made it three issues, so you beat me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The guy who hasnt read Spider-Man since One More Day but acts like he reads every issues because he keeps up over reviews 😂

tim1138

My semi annual print comics purge is making its way to trades, hardcover, and omnibi. Farewell stuff that I've since bought digitally or just sits on a shelf and is never read again!

Pachimari

The guy who hasnt read Spider-Man since One More Day but acts like he reads every issues because he keeps up over reviews 😂
I'm following the thread, it's really something else lol.

I keeping clicking the thread for something movie related, but ya'll gone off the rail discussing stuff.

Einchy

I skipped reading Ultimate Spidey because the art is godawful but Mile's run on it is pretty goddamn great.
The guy who hasnt read Spider-Man since One More Day but acts like he reads every issues because he keeps up over reviews ��
Yo, link.

Pachimari

I wonder if I can just skip Ultimate Spider-Man and start with Miles Morales. I hate what they have done to my favorite villains. Green Goblin looking like a monster, Shocker looking like a fool, and Kraven being a motherfucking tv reality star. It's hard to swallow at this point.

Einchy

>Superior Spider-Man is pretty bad. The plot only works because everyone is written like idiots.
Plus characters who know Peter like Mary Jane can't tell that Peter is not acting like himself.

>How do you know, you havent even read it.

>I read a review. I got all that I needed to know.

Oh boy

Yay, finally got to pick up some issues of Shade the Changing Girl thanks to that sale! Looking forward to digging in.

My semi annual print comics purge is making its way to trades, hardcover, and omnibi. Farewell stuff that I've since bought digitally or just sits on a shelf and is never read again!

Yeah, I've decided to seriously work through my short boxes. Going to re-read and dismiss a lot of things. The question will be what to do with them. I don't think it would be worth the trouble to sell them. But then I'm not sure where to donate them. A school maybe?

Also decided to sell my 22 volumes of The Walking Dead. I hung onto them because I loved them, but lets be real, I aint never reading that again. And if I do, I can pick them up when they go on sale on CMX.

tim1138

Yay, finally got to pick up some issues of Shade the Changing Girl thanks to that sale! Looking forward to digging in.

Yeah, I've decided to seriously work through my short boxes. Going to re-read and dismiss a lot of things. The question will be what to do with them. I don't think it would be worth the trouble to sell them. But then I'm not sure where to donate them. A school maybe?

Also decided to sell my 22 volumes of The Walking Dead. I hung onto them because I loved them, but lets be real, I aint never reading that again. And if I do, I can pick them up when they go on sale on CMX.

I lucked out both times I unloaded the bulk of my single issues. The first time was with a store that had just opened and was building up their back issue stock and the second time (at a different shop) they took everything I had to also get my first appearance of Apocalypse from the original X-Factor series. Otherwise I probably would have just donated them all to the public library. If one of the local shops won't buy my collections I'm just gonna take it all to Half Price Books and be done with it. I'm not really looking to make money off it, just declutter the house.

I have a few books I need to get around to unloading too. What are you getting rid of?

I'm a bit late to the party as I've been away visiting family in Edinburgh for a few days, but just wanted to say thanks on the new OOT Messi and Freeza.

Managed to catch up with a couple of issues over the weekend.

Secret Weapons 1 - Really enjoyed this, the villian is a bit cliche
with the absorbing unstoppable robot thing
but found the characters pretty fun and there powers pretty different than the normal. I'm intrigued whether the conjuring powers work as in
it provides what you need before you need it, provided the gun before he knew he would be attacked and the umbrella before he knew they would need to reach the fire escape

Considering going back and reading Harbinger, Valiant fans is it worth going back and reading from the series that started a few years back or start with more modern versions?

Black Panther - If anyone has read posts I've put in the past about it I was a big fan of the first season on this and really like where Coates is going with his Crew series, but got to say I think he's letting the season get away from him a bit. Now he's away from his strengths of writing on society and politics his story just isn't working for me. He's trying to do an old gods vs new gods type thing, but its all coming out a bit jumbled and his action scene writings never been great so far. At least there bringing storm back in a big way.

Also just to weigh in, I think Ultimate Spidermans strengths weren't really its villains but its character relationships. Peters relationship with MJ and then with Gwen and then even with Gwen and Aunt May.

I lucked out both times I unloaded the bulk of my single issues. The first time was with a store that had just opened and was building up their back issue stock and the second time (at a different shop) they took everything I had to also get my first appearance of Apocalypse from the original X-Factor series. Otherwise I probably would have just donated them all to the public library. If one of the local shops won't buy my collections I'm just gonna take it all to Half Price Books and be done with it. I'm not really looking to make money off it, just declutter the house.

Yeah, same. I get that most of the books I'll be giving away are not worth anything. Never thought to give them to the library, as I haven't seen single issue comics at the library before. But I guess I could ask if they'd want them.

My first big purge I gave to a friend. But I'll need another solution this time.

Oh nice, you have a good time? Hope you got a deep fried mars bar while you were up!

I'm kidding, I hope you got the battered pizza of course

Ha I politely avoided both, I think the best one I've seen that actually wasn't even in Scotland was a battered cream egg, slightly dissapointed I didn't get one now I think back on it.

Even though I've been up there quite a few times I'm still quite touristy when I go, my sister who moved up there years ago on the other hand has well and truly settled in. She now says wee instead of small every time and swears by scottish chippy sauce every time she gets fish and chips :)

tim1138

I have a few books I need to get around to unloading too. What are you getting rid of?

Fear Agent Library Editions*
Scott Pilgrim 1-6 (b&w)*
Neal Adams Batman Omnibus
Brave and the Bold Bronze Age omnibus
Planetary Omnibus*
Infinity Gauntlet tpb*
Omega Men tpb*
Spider-Gwen vols 0-2
Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe*
Squirrel Girl vols 1-5**
Howard the Duck vols 0-2
Final Crisis hc*
Sin City vols 1-7*
Multiversity hc*
Planet Hulk hc*
X-Men Season One hc*
Superman Red Son*
Green Arrow Long Bow Hunters*
Dark Knight Returns tpb*
Killing Joke hc
The Long Halloween tpb*
East of West vols 1-3
Dark Phoenix Saga tpb (I own two copies of this)
Some random Ultimate Spider-man tpbs
Some random old Dark Horse Star Wars collections

And whatever else random stuff I see on the shelf that I don't want.

*Own digitally
**Replacing with digital editions

Ha I politely avoided both, I think the best one I've seen that actually wasn't even in Scotland was a battered cream egg, slightly dissapointed I didn't get one now I think back on it.

Even though I've been up there quite a few times I'm still quite touristy when I go, my sister who moved up there years ago on the other hand has well and truly settled in. She now says wee instead of small every time and swears by scottish chippy sauce every time she gets fish and chips :)

Haha damn, can't say I've tried that! That's great, Edinburgh is a great place to be touristy. Have you been to the zoo? Seems like a strange one to point out since you get them everywhere, but Edinburgh Zoo is awesome and we have pandas! Lots of slopes if I remember right though.

Oh dear haha, I try to filter out most of Scottish language and/or colloquialisms when I'm posting, but she's on a downward spiral if she's started picking up the banter. Next it'll be aw weesht.

Huh, didn't expect the Rebirth Deluxe editions to end up on CMX but Action Comics just got added. Huh.

Really looking forward to todays Injustice 2 issue with the wedding~

I can take that Planetary omni from you Tim if you can't get rid of it :p

Haha damn, can't say I've tried that! That's great, Edinburgh is a great place to be touristy. Have you been to the zoo? Seems like a strange one to point out since you get them everywhere, but Edinburgh Zoo is awesome and we have pandas! Lots of slopes if I remember right though.

Oh dear haha, I try to filter out most of Scottish language and/or colloquialisms when I'm posting, but she's on a downward spiral if she's started picking up the banter. Next it'll be aw weesht.

Yeah we actually did the zoo over the weekend, it is all on a big hill, was half dead by the end of it. We did see the pandas but they were asleep facing the other way, but pandas gonna panda ha. Saw plenty of other animals there though so was still worthwhile.

Kind of get the best of both worlds, we do the touristy stuff when we go up, but my sister living up there knows the best places to eat and the best bars to drink at so works out pretty well. Spent one night at a great indian street food place and then to a jazz bar, good times.

tim1138

Those are two I am considering getting rid of too. I don't think I can read Fear Agent again. Possibly the first Amazing Spider-Man omnibus and Absolute League of Extraordinary Gentlemen too.

I'll read Fear Agent again but never in those unwieldy library editions. I got the Brave and the Bold omni dirt cheap, read my favorite issues again and am happy to remove it from my house. The back issues are going up on CMX, so if I wanna revisit it I'll do it that way.

Einchy

Oh, I thought she was holding up a poster. Who the hell has the space for that thing?

Bii

lmao

Sounds like a guy I used to know. We'd talk video games and he was saying how he disliked certain games, even called a favorite game of mine boring. I asked if he had even played it, and he told me no and that he just read reviews. Dug a little deeper and asked him about the games he disliked, and he said he read all the reviews on those and that's what he formulated his opinion on. Never even played them. :/

Wanderer5

Off to the oversized section it goes!

Steph Batgirl rules

Yes! Thats one of my favorite books. That later stuff looked like it could have been really fun.

The teamup that they had more plans for (well least for the fairy tale thing) was pretty nice too.

I glad I read through this series, and liking Stephanie more. It is great that she is back in the comics, and I hope she gets more exposure in other media (like Young Justice maybe heh). I should give Cassandra Cain some more love too.

Walking Dead and Invincible are books I will keep forever. The hardcover format is so wonderful for those series.

Top Bottom