• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Owzers

DC One Million Omnibus....i remember people talking about it, how's the binding? It's $30 at this hamiltonbooks totally not going to have remainder marks on it site.

VanWinkle

DC One Million Omnibus....i remember people talking about it, how's the binding? It's $30 at this hamiltonbooks totally not going to have remainder marks on it site.

Not great, but good enough that it isn't TOO annoying. And I don't think there's any gutter loss.

QKGb8Ma.jpg

Here's the point where it stays open without holding it down:
3vFaea9.jpg

And I don't think DC books ever have remainder marks.

the link is dead :(

Sorry, I had misspelled it :(

You won't be happy with what you get and it will increase your duplicates tenfold. Wish I never did it. Ruined lootboxes for me.

Understand to a degree, but it does build up your credits so you can buy stuff you actually do want. They really should reward you with some credits for each game you play. Limiting it to loot boxes is kind of shit.

But I won't be buying anymore lootboxes until they release some new skins / characters.

Messi

Understand to a degree, but it does build up your credits so you can buy stuff you actually do want. They really should reward you with some credits for each game you play. Limiting it to loot boxes is kind of shit.

But I won't be buying anymore lootboxes until they release some new skins / characters.

I bought 50 and got 1600 in coins. not even enough for two premium skins.

It's...it's GLORIOUS!

So glad I picked it up while it's $30 and don't regret getting it later.

Picked this up myself.

its still shrink wrapped

i wanna buy that One Million Omnibus but I probably shouldn't. Its not all written by Morrison so Ill probably just read Morrisons part, flip through the rest, put it back on the shelf and then post on neogaf dot com instead of reading the rest

i swear i read comics

look here i read America's Got Powers by Jonathan Ross and Bryan Hitch

Im conflicted about this book. Its got a lot of negatives but a lot of positives. For every negative point you can think of theres a positive point, although that positive point is always 'Bryan Hitch drew it so who cares'

The premise is this: There was an incident that made all the women in the bay area give birth to superpowered babies. There was some incident later down the line that made everybody agree that the superpowered generation should be kept in check. To give them these superpowered kids an outlet, they let them compete in some games and combat. 'America's Got Powers' is the reality TV show in the book.

Our protagonist is the one kid who does not have powers so of course he's the key to the entire plot. The plot itself is fine. However, I think the writing isn't as pointed or biting as it intends to be. It often paints with broad strokes when a finer line is needed. Theres also the issue of how some of the political leaders are portrayed. Hitch uses Palin for one of the antagonists and Obama is the president. It would be fine if either of them acted as their real life counterparts but they don't, so its just off putting.

I looked up Ross and it turns out he's an English actor and critic. Both Hitch and Ross probably share the blame for missing the mark on this book when it comes to lampooning American celebrity culture. Its just a bit toothless. Plus, that title is fucking wack.

on the plus side:
Bryan Hitch art everywhere with consistently good to great inking. He just fucking nails everything he does.

Things Hitch does *really* well and often:
Cities and buildings getting destroyed
Drawing bodies real good
Action
Drawing faces real good right as the face is about to hit some big expression
Lots of people in a room with a good portion sitting down and being served cocktails
Dynamic two source lighting
blocking and composition
panel to panel continuity
people getting punched real good
people punching real hard
people flying across the panel from getting punched real hard real good
injured people
designing and drawing realistic/useful looking costumes
establishing shots

things Paul Neary does well in this book:
ink Bryan Hitch

things that Paul Mounts colors but didn't do as good a job as usual:
this book

Mounts seems to have kind of mailed it in here tbh. Usually he's pretty solid but its like he didn't go through a second pass of his colors. There are just way too many areas that look like he didn't bother blending in skin highlights after making a selection and creating a gradient.

Verdict: The book is OK but who gives a shit its just a showcase for Bryan Hitch fuck yeah

Stray Bullets is no joke. Read that first story and I was at the edge of my seat. If the whole series plays around with pulp and Tarantino-esque characters and storylines I'm in 100%.

I love how fast the book reads too. It'll help me get through it at a decent rate.

Edit:

Hooooooooly shit
Spanish Scott
is a wild character.

"
And I've seen Star Wars seven times you condescending fuck.
"

Edit 2:

This is one of the best books I've ever read.
Welcome to the club
Damn, Stray Bullets #1 is so good. I'm in for the long haul
Stray Bullets keeps getting better and better. Of all the comics I've read, only Wytches made me feel unsettled or invoked a haunting tone...until Stray Bullets #2 and #4. Very well-crafted tightly-wound tension, payoff, and imagery

Action Comics was really good. I liked it way more than Superman. Will be following both titles for a bit I think. I like the whole dynamic between Supes and Lex.

Also read the new issue of The Fix and I was not expecting that ending. This book is fucked up lol. Lieber kills it with his facial expressions on Roy. He's so good at humor.

Ross61

I really like that scene in Flash Rebirth when
Barry came to Batman for help. That whole inner monologue about them both being scientist and the "no jokes in the Batcave" bit were really amusing.

Owzers

You won't be happy with what you get and it will increase your duplicates tenfold. Wish I never did it. Ruined lootboxes for me.

i still haven't bought any..and am hoarding my coins because what if they come out with a skin i actually want for Mercy but have no coins? I'm just playing with the skins i got.

Messi

i still haven't bought any..and am hoarding my coins because what if they come out with a skin i actually want for Mercy but have no coins? I'm just playing with the skins i got.

Yeah but Mercy's premium skins are awesome . The devil skin changes what she says when reviving people to "Heroes never die....for a price!" and the Norse one says "Till Valhalla!"

Zombine

Banned
need some clarification on a particular story in Stray Bullets:

The kid who saw the accident and ended up at the party...this was some kind of elaborate scheme they pull? I can't really figure out what they accomplish? Did he end up getting hit at the end?
I found this one to be a little hard to wrap my head around. It's the strangest story so far and kind of obtuse. Should I stay tuned and look for signs, or is there an oddball issue every so often?

Edit: and then I read issue 8 lol...half-answered my own question.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sub Zero is a classic. Honestly, Mask of The Phantasm, Sub Zero, and Return of The Joker are just perfect. They have aged really well.
Thanks, but whats with the Batwoman centred movie?

Good to hear, I want to see them since everyone hyped Mask lf the Phantasm after BvS that much.

need some clarification on a particular story in Stray Bullets:

The kid who saw the accident and ended up at the party...this was some kind of elaborate scheme they pull? I can't really figure out what they accomplish? Did he end up getting hit at the end?
I found this one to be a little hard to wrap my head around. It's the strangest story so far and kind of obtuse. Should I stay tuned and look for signs, or is there an oddball issue every so often?

Yeah, I stopped reading pretty quickly after that issue. Made it like 3-4 issues after that so far, but it started to lose me with that issue. Couldn't really tell what was going on.

I've had the best legendary skin luck in Overwatch. I believe the game rewards you in opposite proportion to how much you contribute to your team. I suck, so I get all the goodies.

Not counting the ones that came with the game, I have 18 legendary skins. I'm level 31. I don't buy boxes. It's fairly crazy, feels like I get a legendary every other level, sometimes two. I've also gotten three of the legendary 500 coin stashes, so I purchased my two favorites.

Only character I really wish I had a skin for is Zarya, since I hate her basic look. Sigrun Mercy, Explorer Winston, Architect Symmetra, and Lone Wolf Hanzo are my favorites. Also Bedouin Genji is superb.

Too bad I'm trash at all of them, but I look good.

Hagi

I've had the best legendary skin luck in Overwatch. I believe the game rewards you in opposite proportion to how much you contribute to your team. I suck, so I get all the goodies.

Not counting the ones that came with the game, I have 18 legendary skins. I'm level 31. I don't buy boxes. It's fairly crazy, feels like I get a legendary every other level, sometimes two. I've also gotten three of the legendary 500 coin stashes, so I purchased my two favorites.

Only character I really wish I had a skin for is Zarya, since I hate her basic look. Sigrun Mercy, Explorer Winston, Architect Symmetra, and Lone Wolf Hanzo are my favorites. Also Bedouin Genji is superb.

Too bad I'm trash at all of them, but I look good.

I should play worse then because all I get is three whites and a blue constantly. I only have a legendary Mercy skin because I bought some boxes. :/

VanWinkle

Just got back from the comic shop with this book! Happened to find it for a good deal at a comic shop today. Happy to finally have it in my collection.

wFwNNki.jpg

Just got back from the comic shop with this book! Happened to find it for a good deal at a comic shop today. Happy to finally have it in my collection.

wFwNNki.jpg
Nice. I only have the tpb but it is by far the best Batwoman story.

Her New52 run is good too but it's not on the same level IMO

Never read Elegy but it's something that's been on my radar for years just because of the art.

Greg Rucka writing is a huge plus, too.
JHW3's art is so good. He does a lot of creative layouts with his panels. His art in Seven Soldiers and that arc in Morrison's Batman is great too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That redhead batgirl (woman?) is one if my favorite designs ever

Hello everybody. I haven't read comics in about 6 to 8 months and just read the new Detective Comics,that was some good stuff. What else is worth reading in Rebirth?

Hello everybody. I haven't read comics in about 6 to 8 months and just read the new Detective Comics,that was some good stuff. What else is worth reading in Rebirth?
Green Arrow and Action Comics were both very strong I thought. I liked Flash too.

Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman were all solid but ultimately they were just setting up for the real first issues coming up.

Spider-Man #4: Holy shit what a great comic. lol at the cover though,
two of these character do not appear in this comic and one of them doesn't even get mentioned by name.

For the love of god, though, will some brave writer please
save Felicia Hardy? How did we get here Felicia? From one sucker punch by your villain-possessed ex to one of the most prominent criminal masterminds in Marveldom? You can't have a story involving the Marvel underworld without at least a Black Cat name drop. What the hell happened?

Finally, how has nobody made an avatar of this face yet

vfHmHIv.png

Green Arrow and Action Comics were both very strong I thought. I liked Flash too.

Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman were all solid but ultimately they were just setting up for the real first issues coming up.

Awesome, I'll check them out. Honestly I wasn't expecting to get excited for any of this Rebirth stuff but Detective was excellent. All the constant renumberings and reboots from Marvel and DC had me down and I just stopped reading my weekly books.

mreddie

Spider-Man #4: Holy shit what a great comic. lol at the cover though,
two of these character do not appear in this comic and one of them doesn't even get mentioned by name.

For the love of god, though, will some brave writer please
save Felicia Hardy? How did we get here Felicia? From one sucker punch by your villain-possessed ex to one of the most prominent criminal masterminds in Marveldom? You can't have a story involving the Marvel underworld without at least a Black Cat name drop. What the hell happened?

Finally, how has nobody made an avatar of this face yet

vfHmHIv.png

Slott, he's calling the shots to anything Spidey related, he squashed the Carol/Peter stuff and anything related to MJ and even Carlie

Top Bottom