• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

mreddie

It's an announcement that tells me Marvel hasn't learned a thing. It's the same old Marvel. Nothing has changed.

Remember when we pointed out how 2006-09 was their hyped years? Then he came?

Meet-Axel-Alonso-Marvel-Comics-main-man-8F7G46I-x-large.jpg

And holy shit, they Zack Rydered Nova.

Lol, I was looking at a review of Snotgirl v.1 after Boxy's recommendation. Partner rocks up over my shoulder and goes "oh yea, Snotgirl. Amazon told me this was really good, as well as I hate Fairyland and Monstress, I might buy them" and then leaves.

W.T.F. man. I've been trying to get her to read more comics for the last few years, and totally fallen on deaf ears. And then I get this. I don't even...

Lol, I was looking at a review of Snotgirl v.1 after Boxy's recommendation. Partner rocks up over my shoulder and goes "oh yea, Snotgirl. Amazon told me this was really good, as well as I hate Fairyland and Monstress, I might buy them" and then leaves.

W.T.F. man. I've been trying to get her to read more comics for the last few years, and totally fallen on deaf ears. And then I get this. I don't even...

I really like Snotgirl. Not sure how much you may be into it, as some people don't click with the way O'Malley writes his characters, but it's a very great and exaggerated take on fashion bloggers with some suspense thrown in. Leslie Hung's art is fantastic and cute too. It's really crazy that her work up till now consisted of two indie downloadable stories and some fanart on her Tumblr. Very excited to see what she does after this.

ElNarez

Banned
Early impressions have actually been positive.

Yeah but that's by design, because what kind of retailer would talk trash about the comic they ordered a gazillion copies of in order to get the Marvel Dadbod Variant or whatever the fuck?

Secret Empire is going to be fucking terrible, because Tentpole Marvel Events are where good writers go to beef it hardcore. Bendis made a shitty event. Fraction made a shitty event. Bendis and Fraction and Brubaker and Hickman and Aaron made a shitty event. For every Secret Wars and Original Sin, you get one Civil War II and Fear Itself and Avengers Vs. X-Men.

And those START with great writers. Nick Spencer isn't good. And he's going to beef it hardcore. You could already see it in STANDOFF. All the signs point to Secret Empire being possibly the worst event Marvel has ever run.

Sandfox

I don't know why Marvel is so obsessed with Hydra these days.
They never seemed that big of a deal to me. A load of jobbers.
Hydra is big for the sake of this story.
Axel addressing event tie ins yet says people want more events.

Y U LYING?
According to Alonso they learned from CW2 that event fatigue is a real thing for retailers and fans so they will be cutting down on tie-ins and they are trying to avoid delays. He says that some people are tired of events while some still want them.

He also says that the assumptions people are making about SE are wrong, including the people who have read the #0 issue.

Your welcome. I take payment in Xbox Live subs.

Original Sin was an event I felt was mandated by those above. "Get rid of the white Fury, get Gamora and Rocket on the team so we can push them more now when the film is on, get Angela connected to Thor so someone will start caring about her, come up with secrets for characters that we've never talked about before, get Bendis to explain how everyone but Nova got out of the Cancerverse since we've not talked about it at all since launch" etc.

I think you can skip it and not miss much at all.

ElNarez

Banned
Original Sin was an event I felt was mandated by those above. "Get rid of the white Fury, get Gamora and Rocket on the team so we can push them more now when the film is on, get Angela connected to Thor so someone will start caring about her, come up with secrets for characters that we've never talked about before" etc.

I think you can skip it and not miss much at all.

Original Sin was a fun mystery story built around Aaron's two loves, which are The Orb and taking ideas from Grant Morrison's Marvel tenure. That makes the main book worth reading. Bit more iffy on the tie-ins, even if one of them allowed Al Ewing to fucking kill it because that's what he does.

Original Sin was a fun mystery story built around Aaron's two loves, which are The Orb and taking ideas from Grant Morrison's Marvel tenure. That makes the main book worth reading. Bit more iffy on the tie-ins, even if one of them allowed Al Ewing to fucking kill it because that's what he does.

God, I had forgotten The Orb. Did he ever show up again?

Sandfox

Yeah but that's by design, because what kind of retailer would talk trash about the comic they ordered a gazillion copies of in order to get the Marvel Dadbod Variant or whatever the fuck?

Secret Empire is going to be fucking terrible, because Tentpole Marvel Events are where good writers go to beef it hardcore. Bendis made a shitty event. Fraction made a shitty event. Bendis and Fraction and Brubaker and Hickman and Aaron made a shitty event. For every Secret Wars and Original Sin, you get one Civil War II and Fear Itself and Avengers Vs. X-Men.

And those START with great writers. Nick Spencer isn't good. And he's going to beef it hardcore. You could already see it in STANDOFF. All the signs point to Secret Empire being possibly the worst event Marvel has ever run.
We see retailers talk bad about books all the time, including unreleased ones, and I disagree with everything in your last paragraph.

So, I just got a notice to pick up Captain Marvel v1 and v2. I am looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time (v2 is the CW2 tie-in I think).

Come to think of it, this might be the first time I will be reading a Captain Marvel solo book.

caliph95

I bought it on the recommendation of LaunchpadMcQ. This series isn't good?

Fuck sake
You may need new internet friends.
Seriously though the build up in the Daredevil book was good the actual event though wasn't lets say great.
Might as well read it since you bought iit and tell us we were wrong.

I really like Snotgirl. Not sure how much you may be into it, as some people don't click with the way O'Malley writes his characters, but it's a very great and exaggerated take on fashion bloggers with some suspense thrown in. Leslie Hung's art is fantastic and cute too. It's really crazy that her work up till now consisted of two indie downloadable stories and some fanart on her Tumblr. Very excited to see what she does after this.

Hey, sounds interesting man. I've never read anything by him but I agree the art looks gorgeous and if there's a chance it's something me and the lady will enjoy, I'd be happy to take a chance on it.

Your welcome. I take payment in Xbox Live subs.

Haha hey, if I could gift you the month of live I just got surprise autocharged for, I'd give it to you man.

Damn, Splatoon 2. So good!

Messi

You may need new internet friends.
Seriously though the build up in the Daredevil book was good the actual event though wasn't lets say great.
Might as well read it since you bought iit and tell us we were wrong.

He reads Valiant comics first. I should have fucking known.

Vic_Viper

Is Generations going to be Marvel's Rebirth or not? Is it 616 canon or a completely separate thing, unrelated to anything going on now or in the future?

Sandfox

Is Generations going to be Marvel's Rebirth or not? Is it 616 canon or a completely separate thing, unrelated to anything going on now or in the future?
It's canon and related to the future of Marvel. Based on the interview, it will have the original and legacies examples their relationships and what it means to carry that name, while looking at their futures, including how they can coexist. Obviously the answer will be different for every hero.

I would expect book announcements to come in a few months.

ElNarez

Banned
It's canon and related to the future of Marvel. Based on the interview, it will have the original and legacies examples their relationships and what it means to carry that name, while looking at their futures, including how they can coexist. Obviously the answer will be different for every hero.

I would expect book announcements to come in a few months.

The thing that would worry me if I cared about Marvel in that way is that they don't seem to be focused on the one thing they want to be going forward. DC was very clear, creatively and in how they marketed Rebirth, on what they were going to do. They did a big push, they put everything they could into signaling that this is the new line, and this is how it's gonna be. It's 20 issues in for some of these books and they still have the Rebirth banner on them, which shows a commitment that I kinda don't know whether or not Marvel can match.

The thing that would worry me if I cared about Marvel in that way is that they don't seem to be focused on the one thing they want to be going forward. DC was very clear, creatively and in how they marketed Rebirth, on what they were going to do. They did a big push, they put everything they could into signaling that this is the new line, and this is how it's gonna be. It's 20 issues in for some of these books and they still have the Rebirth banner on them, which shows a commitment that I kinda don't know whether or not Marvel can match.

I expect many to skip the later issues. DC put out one big book with everything you needed in a cheap first printing and ended up with 5 printings and one of the year's best selling TPB and HC's.

10 issues for likely 5.99 each? People will skip the Captain Marvel one and the ones where they already don't read the books. New writers could've pushed them to try something like Carol instead of keeping the same writer from the ongoing that's already selling badly.

Sandfox

Marvel's thing will be "Make Mine Marvel", so we'll see how they apply what they've learned over the past year or so and see what they came up with. Right now it seems like Marvel's goal is to put the focus back on the old heroes people love in more traditional stories, while showing they can coexist with the next generation.

I expect many to skip the later issues. DC put out one big book with everything you needed in a cheap first printing and ended up with 5 printings and one of the year's best selling TPB and HC's.

10 issues for likely 5.99 each? People will skip the Captain Marvel one and the ones where they already don't read the books. New writers could've pushed them to try something like Carol.
Secret Empire isn't even $6 an issue so this won't. If people are interested they will likely pick up the books featuring the characters they like returning. I feel that the book itself later this year will be more important.

Top Bottom