• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

UGH I just purchased SSM on Comixology and now it's stuck on "Purchasing..." :(

edit: Nevermind, Google Wallet is glitching out for some reason. Never had this issue when I was using prepaid cards...

edit2: OOH I just got the new Google Play store @_@

Acid08

Banned
Isn't that a spoiler too?

Am I taking crazy pills??

Nah, they both are. I'll give the first dude a pass even though he clearly didn't read the OP. Narez is just being a dick though.

I don't typically stray from Marvel and DC, but a few titles from the other publishers kinda caught my eye. Do you guys have any opinions on the following?

- East of West - I really dug Hickman at one point, but his recent Avengers books had worn me out. I love the idea of sci-fi western though and the cover really caught my eye.

- Akaneiro - I don't know anything about the author or artist on this one, but the concept seems kinda interesting. I enjoyed American McGee's take of Alice (also helped that it was a wonderful game), so the whole Red Riding Hood mythology might work with him, too.

- Lobster Johnson: Satan Smells a Rat - Don't necessarily want opinions on this particular title, but on Hellboy in general. I always wanted to get into it since the mythology and characters appealed to me, but given how long it's been around, I suspect there's just too much by now to catch up on.

- Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard - I think I read the very first of the series awhile ago (I remember them fighting a snake in the opening parts), which I really enjoyed. Never stuck with it though. Is it still running strong? I might keep it in mind to pick up again at some point.

- The Shadow Year One - Big fan of Matt Wagner's work, so I'm pretty interested in checking this out, too. Any good?

...any insight would be appreciated! Thanks.

East of West is great so far. It's already moving at a faster rate than Avengers is. Great art and interesting concept.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
All New X-Men 11:
Ok so how many different Avengers teams are going to visit these guys? Did we just have this happen? Is Cap just salty since Cyke dropped the mike on him?

Gartooth

Great week for comics, read the latest on Hawkeye, All New X-Men, and Superior Spider-Man. Speaking of that last one,
damn is this issue going to make people salty
, really looking forward to seeing the fallout from this.

arkon

- Lobster Johnson: Satan Smells a Rat - Don't necessarily want opinions on this particular title, but on Hellboy in general. I always wanted to get into it since the mythology and characters appealed to me, but given how long it's been around, I suspect there's just too much by now to catch up on.

I've been doing this actually. I'm reading through the Hellboy Library editions to do it though. Seems the easiest way. Not sure what I'll do when I'm caught up (just about to start volume 3 Library edition). Perhaps finally read through some more of the BPRD hardcover I bought way back.

ElNarez

Banned
I think it's the 3rd or 4th time in 15 combined issues now

Bendis SMH

You're thinking of Uncanny X-Men. And you're talking about that last page reveal when the real thing you should be talking about is Mystique just pulling all the strings all the time.

Dysun

I consider All New and Uncanny companion books and was talking about the
angry Avengers show up to confront the X-Men trope, I haven't actually read it yet but I flipped through and saw Havok and co. as the last page

Averon

Superior Spider-Man 9

This issue is a punch to the gut for Peter Parker fans. Marvel just loves shitting on him, don't they? So, was the point of
ghost Peter is to just "kill" him off again, and to make him out to be the asshole?
Seems pretty cruel for PP fans.

Any Iron Man comic recommendation? I heard Stark Resilient should be good. Any other recommendations? I have no clue what stories are great and which not because of the amounts of comics.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't know, how many Avengers teams are there?

Like it was 8-mile.

Well there's still
the Illuminati
. I still can't believe Bendis wrote that 8-mile line. I was just floored for a full minute, Bendis really couldn't come up with something better could he?

Superior Spider-Man 9

This issue is a punch to the gut for Peter Parker fans. Marvel just loves shitting on him, don't they? So, was the point of
ghost Peter is to just "kill" him off again, and to make him out to be the asshole?

It'll feel all the better when
Peter eventually wins, we know it's coming and it's going to be so good. If the classic "all my friends and family live in my mind and make me stronger than you will ever be" didn't work then I can only imagine the shit that will work. I'm sticking to my "this won't last past a year" prediction.

Picked up Suicide Risk on a whim today, hope it doesn't disappoint.

What's your most anticipated Free Comic Day title brahs? Mine is The Srangers from ONI Press. Love how they always launch a new title out of it, but not really a fan of Roberson.

Dysun

Superior Spider-Man 9

This is like trolling the fans who raged about it, it was great. Kudos Slott

dan2026

Read the first two issues of Andy Diggle's new run on Action Comics and am enjoying it quite a bit.

Its nothing too complicated, just solid old-school Superman action/adventure.

ghostmind

I'm wondering with what happened in Superior, what's happening in the Avengers titles, the very concept of ANXM, Ultron, Infinity, etc will all lead to a Marvel Universe unraveling and either a reboot or reset at some point.

Owzers

Picked up Suicide Risk on a whim today, hope it doesn't disappoint.

What's your most anticipated Free Comic Day title brahs? Mine is The Srangers from ONI Press. Love how they always launch a new title out of it, but not really a fan of Roberson.

my boring excitement pick is Marvel's Infinity. I just started catching up on Avengers and New Avengers and i like both, i'm ready for a Hickman event. DCBS lets you pick 5 FCBD books so i ordered Marvel Infinity, that DC "Superman" book, 2000 AD special, Atomic Robo and Friends, and Judge Dredd Classics

my boring excitement pick is Marvel's Infinity. I just started catching up on Avengers and New Avengers and i like both, i'm ready for a Hickman event. DCBS lets you pick 5 FCBD books so i ordered Marvel Infinity, that DC "Superman" book, 2000 AD special, Atomic Robo and Friends, and Judge Dredd Classics
Shit I didn't know you could order those from DCBS.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
ANXM:
what's the point of trying to get suspense out of who the defector is when it was revealed in uncanny a few weeks ago?

Dysun

Age of Ultron 7
Was the failed future attack last issue the end of that plot thread? Quite the waste of time if so. That aside, Stark Ultron looks pretty creepy

Hawkguy 10
Another great issue

JEKKI

free comic book day?!?!?!

do ppl know if free comic book day comics will be available on comixology?!

it would be nice to not make a trip to a store on my relaxing day off from work.

Nudull

Banned

Super-excited for TMNT Animated and the Sonic/Mega Man prelude. Kaboom's sampler should be nice too, if nothing else but for Regular Show.

I'm wondering with what happened in Superior, what's happening in the Avengers titles, the very concept of ANXM, Ultron, Infinity, etc will all lead to a Marvel Universe unraveling and either a reboot or reset at some point.

interesting theory. Spidey 2099 is showing up in superior this year (the real one, not the timestorm knockoff) and supposedly his arrival will tie into other time is going wrong events like ANXM, Age of Ultron, etc.

diaspora

That was surprisingly entertaining.

Jean's increasing tendancy to abuse her powers has got me wondering if we've got a new villain on our hands.
I kinda hope so because
Jean's
really acting like a perennial jackass. Age is no excuse to pull the shit she did.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Wow, I really liked Suicide Risk by Mike Carey. Hope the series last as long as Carey wants it.

Yeah, I picked it up because Carey's stuff never disappoints and... it was good! I think the concept is great and it dives in right away. I'm really excited for the next issue of that and The Unwritten/Fables crossover.

Jean's increasing tendancy to abuse her powers has got me wondering if we've got a new villain on our hands.
I kinda hope so because
Jean's
really acting like a perennial jackass. Age is no excuse to pull the shit she did.

Well, think about it... Hank jumped them all to the future and
Jean was exposed to pretty much every spoiler in her history/future. That's an information-overload that's now made her psychic development
completely unpredictable.

I'm sure it won't be
her last "outburst"

diaspora

Well, think about it... Hank jumped them all to the future and
Jean was exposed to pretty much every spoiler in her history/future. That's an information-overload that's now made her psychic development
completely unpredictable.

I'm sure it won't be
her last "outburst"

Don't get me wrong, the
unintentional mindreading I get, especially at the beginning. But there seems to be in ongoing trend towards using her power for control.

Don't get me wrong, the
unintentional mindreading I get, especially at the beginning. But there seems to be in ongoing trend towards using her power for control.

Of course there is. She's a kid. Kids act without thinking things through. And now that
she knows her future (well, the old one before Hank fucked the space-time continuum into oblivion)
, there's nothing to stop her
from using advanced abilities that she didn't previously develop until she was considerably more mature
. It's like giving a shotgun to an eight year-old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom