• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

Which Batgirl, though? The New52 Batgirl was Simone acting as a puppet for DC editorial.
New 52. I don't even think the previous run had that much of a following.
Oooh, what thing?

At the end of her contract with DC they tried to replace/fire Simone on Batgirl but then she called them out publicly via twitter and got put back on the book due to all the outrage. The way her fans replied were kinda toxic IMO.

At the end of her contract with DC they tried to replace/fire Simone on Batgirl but then she called them out publicly via twitter and got put back on the book due to all the outrage.

At that point, though, her writing wasn't as bad as it got after DC caved and put her back on it. So in the end, DC probably had the right of it to begin with. Except for the firing via email part. lololol

I actually think a lot of her defense force came from Batgirl as well. People who are writing good stories and aren't saying dumb things usually don't need blatant defense forces though. The thing she did after she got kicked off Batgirl initially was annoying IMO.
Gail's had a defense force for a long time, probably since "Women in Refrigerators." They were definitely in place during her Wonder Woman run, as Rucka quickly found out.

Sandfox

At that point, though, her writing wasn't as bad as it got after DC caved and put her back on it. So in the end, DC probably had the right of it to begin with. Except for the firing via email part. lololol

The new editor seemingly wanted to take the book in a new direction which ended up happening when she left anyways.

New 52. I don't even think the previous run had that much of a following.

Her Batgirl run was around the 30k area. She's popular, mostly on tumblr and twitter, but she can't sell a book to prove that. The Movement was where she was dipping around 10k. Her fans swear that book was popular and had a cult following. Makes me laugh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Spiderman & the X-Men is over right? The first issue still isn't on MU so was it like a super short run? Since MU is 6 months behind, assuming the first issue will pop up any day now that's still just a 6 issue run

Messi

Spiderman & the X-Men is over right? The first issue still isn't on MU so was it like a super short run? Since MU is 6 months behind, assuming the first issue will pop up any day now that's still just a 6 issue run

Its like 5 maybe 6 issues.

If Gail Simone and Greg Rucka are treated so badly and don't like how things are done at DC then why do they keep running back there to write books?

Sandfox

Its one of the 33 Marvel books ending in April/May. We'll have to see if a replacement is coming in the Fall.

Vibranium

Banned
If Gail Simone and Greg Rucka are treated so badly and don't like how things are done at DC then why do they keep running back there to write books?

I don't know haha. What I do know is I want to see Simone on a Marvel female book and Rucka on Winter Soldier though.

Busaiku

Anyone have that Avengers/New Avengers reading chart?
Got through Infinity, but prior to that, I was all over the place (Marvel ordered the Infinity books for me).

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
X-Men will be the best superhero movie of 2016.

Believe it.

latest

What happened?
Short version: Rucka landed the Blackest Night: WW gig, Gail gets asked for details on the story, Gail says "no clue Greg hasn't talked to me about it," cue sh*tstorm because HOW DARE HE, the acclaimed former writer of WW, not consult the current writer of WW, about the story he was telling, obviously they're feuding and Rucka is a has-been. Gail denied the feud, and Greg actually ended up apologizing over it anyway as a placating gesture.

Short version: Rucka landed the Blackest Night: WW gig, Gail gets asked for details on the story, Gail says "no clue Greg hasn't talked to me about it," cue sh*tstorm because HOW DARE HE, the acclaimed former writer of WW, not consult the current writer of WW, about the story he was telling, obviously they're feuding and Rucka is a has-been. Gail denied the feud, and Greg actually ended up apologizing over it anyway as a placating gesture.

That sounds really odd

reading Jim Steranko's tweets, that guy must be a total blast to hang out with. His story about punching Bob Kane in the face is gold

Dialogue in Suicide Squad v1 is surprisingly modern, even if exposition methods have evolved quite a bit since then.

Captain Boomerang can fuck rite off, tho.

The joys of fandom. Thanks for the tale.

Vibranium

Banned
That sounds really odd

reading Jim Steranko's tweets, that guy must be a total blast to hang out with. His story about punching Bob Kane in the face is gold

Steranko is the man, that Bob Kane story never gets old. I'm so happy he got to do that, Kane deserved that punch, from Bill Finger straight to his face.

Marvel really should let him do another Classic Fury ongoing series set in the 60's or something. I think he said a while ago he still has ideas.

Messi

Actually, speaking of pre-New 52 Batgirl, is there a reason DC never collected the entire Cass Cain Batgirl run? It goes up to like 30, and then starts back up from the late 50's-73 to round up the end.

Who?

I'm sorry

Wracking up those comic creator blocks on Twitter.

Next up: Gail Simone.
I used to follow her. But her tweeting was too much. Always going after one cause or issue after another. I swear I don't know when she finds time to write. And it wouldn't surprise me if you could pinpoint the dip in the quality of her work and when she became a Twitter junkie

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait that pic someone linked of Cap hitting Tony in the face with the shield, that was Steve cap not Falcon cap, so he's not old anymore?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not the Harley I wanted but overall I am ok with the Suicide Squad. Espescially Deadshot.
And the news that Joker wont have Tatoos all over his body is good, too.

Wait that pic someone linked of Cap hitting Tony in the face with the shield, that was Steve cap not Falcon cap, so he's not old anymore?

He's still old inside the book. Cover artist didnt get the memo. Same reason tony's armor aint made of liquid metal in that cover.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Dialogue in Suicide Squad v1 is surprisingly modern, even if exposition methods have evolved quite a bit since then.

Captain Boomerang can fuck rite off, tho.
You bike! He's a piece of scum alright.

I hope DC finally puts out the whole Ostrander's Suicide Squad run in trades now that a movie is coming. Long overdue.

But meanwhile, you should read Copra. Great hommage to Suicide Squad while being it's own stuff.

You bike! He's a piece of scum alright.

I hope DC finally puts out the whole Ostrander's Suicide Squad run in trades now that a movie is coming. Long overdue.

But meanwhile, you should read Copra. Great hommage to Suicide Squad while being it's own stuff.

According to Collected Editions, that's supposed to start up in the Fall.

Rhaknar

When you guys said that carnage and / or hobgoblin were the best thing about Axis I didn't realise they had their own books.

Mistouze

Seriously, if you want a Suicide Squad fix consider getting Copra. Michel Fiffe truly is on fire on that book. It's well worth the extra effort needed to get the book (aka order it at your LCS as it's not available AFAIK on amazon).

that's good news, the film has me really interested in reading it and apparently ostrander's run is the best it's had (?)

I personally thought the New 52 run was perfectly fine, but a lot of people on here think it's terrible. Then again, I didn't read the older stuff, so I had no comparison.

Mistouze

i heard about that. it started off as a suicide squad homage and turned into it's own thing (copra)
Having read the 12 first issues (in trades as Copra : Round One and Round Two) I'd say it's pretty much a riff on Suicide Squad with characters being clear stand-ins for known character from DC and Marvel BUT Michel Fiffe manages to make them his own. And the dude handles that series month in, month out all alone from the art to the shipping. Outstanding stuff when you consider all this.

I'm clearly stanning for this series, but it's a piece of comic books that's worth stanning for :D

Also, I need superpowers in self-control to not buy the Orion omnibus. I don't even know where I'd put it on my shelf >_>

Messi

Harley's costume looks much better in set pictures.

Also those Margot faces. god damn her. She is gonna be great.

sol_bad

So I just read Justice League #40, I've only read DC since the New 52 reboot.
This issue basically showed the 3 reboots that DC have done, does that mean the cosmic entities in DC are in continuation between reboots and it's only the planets that are affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom