• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been watching the new Daredevil series, love it. What are the best Daredevil comics? I'm looking for the most gritty and mature takes on the character. Thanks!

Either the runs by Frank Miller or Bendis. Daredevil is one of those characters with quite a few great runs so there's plenty to choose from.

Part of me wants to give All-New Hawkeye a shot

zcUET2u.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
Isn't it being written by Chuck Palahniuk?

It's about as legit as it gets, meaning it's gonna be shit, because it's 2015 and we all need to admit Chuck Palahniuk is kinda shit, and Fight Club is actually way into its premise of manly men being manly and taking no shit from no one.

yeah, there is a small, but annoying contingent of DCU fans who just shitpost every Marvel thread.

i don't get why we just can't like everything.

*glances at the gaming side* Eh, could be worse. Although I will say treating Marvel and DC like they're opposites with no other players in the comics industry is pretty damn silly in general.

yeah, there is a small, but annoying contingent of DCU fans who just shitpost every Marvel thread.

i don't get why we just can't like everything.

There is a larger contingent of Marvel fans who shitpost every DC thread. It's simply the nature of things.

I will say treating Marvel and DC like they're opposites with no other players in the comics industry is pretty damn silly in general.

If you're into Superheroes they're basically it with a few scattered exceptions. You're right, of course, in the more general sense.

Ohnonono

I liked the first Lady Thor trade a whole lot so I ended up ordering what I think is the whole 4 trade run up to it. I think one trade was called Godbomb or something. Hope its good stuff, did not really read up on it much.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's about as legit as it gets, meaning it's gonna be shit, because it's 2015 and we all need to admit Chuck Palahniuk is kinda shit, and Fight Club is actually way into its premise of manly men being manly and taking no shit from no one.

as awful an author as he is, i do think he managed to get a lot of young teen males into reading more. i think that counts for something.

*glances at the gaming side* Eh, could be worse. Although I will say treating Marvel and DC like they're opposites with no other players in the comics industry is pretty damn silly in general.

oof, i forgot about.... that side of the forum.

to your second point, no one outside of this community even reads comics. i find the readers are fans of everything, including the non-big two stuff, whereas the TV/movie crowd gets a little more fanboyish.

I liked the first Lady Thor trade a whole lot so I ended up ordering what I think is the whole 4 trade run up to it. I think one trade was called Godbomb or something. Hope its good stuff, did not really read up on it much.

I've only read the first trade of that pre-Lady Thor run, but I quite enjoyed it.

Ohnonono

Palahniuk made so many wannabe poets out of shitty metalcore band singers back when he was popular. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that guy.

Sure if you only watched the first half of Fight Club and completely ignored the second half
where they flat out tell you that Tyler's whole philosophy on being a "man" had deadly consequences.

Something tells me that the only reason this sequel is getting made is because of a lot of people misinterpreting the themes of Fight Club. In that case I can't wait for a comic book version of Breaking Bad 2.

Edit: I only saw the movie. I have the book but haven't found the time to read it.

Edit 2: Sorry for the spoiler.

ReAxion

God Butcher (1): Yes
God Bomb (2): Yes
(3): Meh
(4): Yes

If you're into Superheroes they're basically it with a few scattered exceptions. You're right, of course, in the more general sense.

True, true. The idea of only caring about capes and utterly ignoring everything else is just strange to me.

I thought it was pretty solid.

oof, i forgot about.... that side of the forum.

to your second point, no one outside of this community even reads comics. i find the readers are fans of everything, including the non-big two stuff, whereas the TV/movie crowd gets a little more fanboyish.

Yeah, I get this. If you enjoy the comic medium then you'll read whatever comics you enjoy whereas if you just want more stories with character X you'll be more likely to limit yourself to that.

ElNarez

Banned
Sure if you only watched the first half of Fight Club and completely ignored the second half
where they flat out tell you that Tyler's whole philosophy on being a "man" had deadly consequences.

Something tells me that the only reason this sequel is getting made is because of a lot of people misinterpreting the themes of Fight Club. In that case I can't wait for a comic book version of Breaking Bad 2.

Edit: I only saw the movie. I have the book but haven't found the time to read it.

Edit 2: Sorry for the spoiler.

I'm talking book, and specifically book in the context of the rest of his works.

The most memorable parts of Fight Club the movie are more Fincher anyways.

tim1138

I'm finally getting around to reading Pedro Martinez's autobiography, I had totally forgotten how much of a bad ass he was. The book is hilarious, dude has some great stories about his career.

God Butcher first, then God Bomb. It is essentially one big story with those two, and it is pretty badass.

Edit: Ah, you fixed it before I finished posting. :p

For the record, can I just say I hate how OHCs and the like are labeled? You have the vol. 1 trade and the vol 1. OHC which is probably trade vol. 1+2 or so but they're still both labeled in essentially the same manner. Not a huge issue looking at the books in person but a pain in the ass in writing.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ive never seen Fight Club :(

Same. I read the book though and it was excellent.

Fun fact:
I said the same thing to one of my coworkers at Banana Republic when they were talking about the movie and they said "Oh, they made a book about the movie?"
I made the "You've got to be kidding me" face so hard at her.

It's pretty much one big story, like Hickman going from Fantastic Four to FF to Avengers/New Avengers to Secret Wars.

See I hadn't heard anything about Stewart in the New 52 and fuck killing Kyle. What the hell? Is it because he's a White Lantern? It's because he's a White Lantern, isn't it? Fucking damn it.

Hoping it's a swerve and Kyle is the secret star of the book. I mean, how do you kill a guy whose power is life?

Really? After all that happened with the Goblins and everything, he just goes back to business as usual?

Huh. Looks like I was wrong. His last persona was the Goblin King. He's in jail.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Its a The Dark Knight Returns Adaption. Batman is a old man in this book, old people always drive way to slow, even when they are Batman.

If they'd throw in a Robin he could be sitting there in the passenger seat trying to tell Bruce he could go faster, and then later have a conversation with Barbara about wether or not they should let him keep driving in his old age.

...My parents live with my Grandpa, it can be really tough to watch people get older.

Bii

Same. I read the book though and it was excellent.

Fun fact:
I said the same thing to one of my coworkers at Banana Republic when they were talking about the movie and they said "Oh, they made a book about the movie?"
I made the "You've got to be kidding me" face so hard at her.

Wait, wait. The book was not based on the movie??

Finally caught up with Game of Thrones. Had to do a mini-marathon of the last four episodes this past Sunday, though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
If they'd throw in a Robin he could be sitting there in the passenger seat trying to tell Bruce he could go faster, and then later have a conversation with Barbara about wether or not they should let him keep driving in his old age.

...My parents live with my Grandpa, it can be really tough to watch people get older.
My Grandparents live in the flat under mine. Has advantages, but its very scary, because you really first realize how old they are when you see them everyday :/

I'm excited for a comic book movie starring crazy and homicidal super villains. This is kinda how I wanted the Wanted movie to be instead of some league of assassins story we got.
Edit: Ah, you fixed it before I finished posting. :p

For the record, can I just say I hate how OHCs and the like are labeled? You have the vol. 1 trade and the vol 1. OHC which is probably trade vol. 1+2 or so but they're still both labeled in essentially the same manner. Not a huge issue looking at the books in person but a pain in the ass in writing.

They now fixed it by giving the OHC their own store page separate from the trades but the names are still the same. I had problems trying to look up the OHC for Superior Spiderman because of this.

Lol, you didn't miss anything. Certainly not in Superior Team-Up. Let me tell you what happened - SpOck punched Felicia and left her for the cops. The end. Wasn't even a major point in that issue. He swung by and took care of her like a common criminal.

Now she's mad.
HAH!
Nothing from DC for me tomorrow.

Chew, Invincible & Deadly Class from Image

Hawkeye, Inferno 1, Infinity Gauntlet 1, Inhumans Attilan Rising 1, Old Man Logan 1 and Uncanny Avengers Ultron Forever from Marvel
MY MAN!

The Batmobile chasing Joker, on the set of Suicide Squad.
I feel like this movie will be bad. I don't want it to be, but I feel like it will. They are making it a Batman film.
Hoping it's a swerve and Kyle is the secret star of the book. I mean, how do you kill a guy whose power is life?
I think that's what they're going to do, is remove his status as a White Lantern some how. I mean, he's basically the Avatar of the emotional spectrum.
Huh. Looks like I was wrong. His last persona was the Goblin King. He's in jail.
Thought so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom