• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

True true. It turns out that if it influences the visuals on the page at all then it's important. Pencils, inks, colours, lettering. Hell, maybe the people doing the flats are more important than I realize too?
Flatters are wonderful and almost get no recognition but they dont really make creative choices that are reflected in the book at the end. Flatters perform a pretty mechanical part. What makes a good flatter is how fast they are and how accurate their flats are in relation to the linework.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Killin it on my commission-based headhunter job so far today. Got two strong leads already. Once I get my first commission, I'm most definitely ordering myself some comics.

Flatters are wonderful and almost get no recognition but they dont really make creative choices that are reflected in the book at the end. Flatters perform a pretty mechanical part. What makes a good flatter is how fast they are and how accurate their flats are in relation to the linework.

See, that's what I understood and assumed from everything I've heard but I realized I wasn't 100% certain on it.

Newsarama has a few preview pages for Scooby Doo #1.

http://www.newsarama.com/29083-shaggy-scooby-doo-step-out-in-scooby-apocalypse-1-preview.html

FgrSwkG.jpg

Eh. If you're into all that rapey exploitative type shit. The book has much more depth to it throughout.

The books are pretty guilty of that as well. It's no coincidence that the show's gone downhill when it reached the book content that started to do the same.

The characters and storylines were more compelling back in the earlier seasons. It was a brilliant adaptation at that point.

Killin it on my commission-based headhunter job so far today. Got two strong leads already. Once I get my first commission, I'm most definitely ordering myself some comics.

Headhunting? Sounds a little violent, Kippster.

Why is Green Arrow in Scooby-Doo?

No thread is safe from GoT hate

I still love the show :p

I don't hate it, I'm just expecting to by the end of the season.

frye

That cover with Superman's junk front and centre was always good and people who thought otherwise were dummies

Did that recent Garth Ennis stuff (I think he did some stuff for both DC and Marvel? Can't remember) get collected yet?

Edit: Looks like All Star Section 8 comes out next month. SO excited for that one.
Where Monsters Dwell (Ennis' Secret Wars mini) seems to have already been released. What's the consensus on that one? Garth Ennis and dinosaurs. Seems like a good thing, no?

ASS8 is really fucking good, Where Monsters Dwell is weird and frivolous

The books are pretty guilty of that as well. It's no coincidence that the show's gone downhill when it reached the book content that started to do the same.

The characters and storylines were more compelling back in the earlier seasons. It was a brilliant adaptation at that point.

Disagree, especially after S1. (TBF, I saw S1, read all the books, then S2 started).

The worst things in the story (TV or book) obviously take up much less real estate in the book and are at least given context. We don't have to have a shot where so much rape is going on in the background it's barely even commented on. It's ridiculous.

Now the show is just shooting through plot because there's no book, and while that's fun to watch, it exposes the hollowness of the entire show's approach. I could mildly enjoy the show before because the books helped fill in the Dothraki Sea-sized gaps in plot and characterization.

With that gone, the Maester has no chain links.

I watch Silicon Valley first now.

Nudull

Banned
Thank god I barely give a shit about GOT. It's obsession with rape is pretty dire, from what friends have told me.

shingi70

Banned
4001 AD is a weird looking crossover, it's not going to feature any of the Valiant Mainstays expect Rai correct.

edit: Should Divinty I be read before II?

The show has done some objectionable stuff but "obsession with rape" is a biiiit of an exaggeration.

Silly observation, particularly given the source material. Apologists doing some serious hand-waving at GRRM's series with those types of comments.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I feel like the show gets better the further it deviates from the books. The parts in the last season where the show runners took the material past books four and five were good. This season will be superb, since it's no longer constrained by glacial book pacing. Let's get this damn story moving already!

Dorne's definitely an exception to that rule. It was slow and plodding in the books, it's been laughable in the show. It would have been better if the red comet from the one of the earlier series' had landed on it.

Looks like Darth Vader will be ending relatively soon. The next arc's based around the Executor.

You've said before that "Darth Vader" is a story with a beginning, middle, and end. Are we nearing the end of that story?

I can't give a real answer to that question. We are definitely coming to a climax here though.

All I know is that the show is pretty godawful at handling it, and people have every right to criticize it like any other show. In this day and age, we need to be better about it.

Better about what? About how a popular TV show depicts rape in a very negative light? The show depicts rape because rape has been a common and disgusting part of human behavior since the beginning. People don't watch Game of Thrones and leave with a "SWEET RAPE SCENE" mindset unless they are already monsters.

The most hilarious part about your "observation" is this:
Nudull said:
Thank god I barely give a shit about GOT. It's obsession with rape is pretty dire, from what friends have told me.

You don't even watch the show. Come on!

Spider-Women is just a mess, what a stupid crossover. Why did Spider-Woman get sidelined for two months for this, right before Civil War II no less. Ugh.

In fact this might be my jumping-off point for Silk.

VanWinkle

The Green Arrow/Black Canary colorist did weird things to Cliff Chiang.

Wait, explain what this is to me. I love Chiang, but that looks absolutely terrible.

"I immediately regret pulling on this thread."

There really is a The Grinder quote for every situation.

Is that from the show The Grinder? If so, it's so good to see another fan. I love that show but I never see anybody else talking about. If not, then I will go back to feeling alone.

Messi

Wait, explain what this is to me. I love Chiang, but that looks absolutely terrible.

Is that from the show The Grinder? If so, it's so good to see another fan. I love that show but I never see anybody else talking about. If not, then I will go back to feeling alone.

Whoever did the coloring didn't knock it out of the park

4001 AD is a weird looking crossover, it's not going to feature any of the Valiant Mainstays expect Rai correct.

edit: Should Divinty I be read before II?

I can't for certain say you need to read Divinity I first since only the first issue of II is out and it's not 100% clear if you'll be able to follow the entire thing without the original mini, although it does seem to be trying to make it accessible in the first issue without the original mini. That said, reading the original would flesh out II, at least.

Woah, what? This our first cancellation/ending since Kanan?

Of the ongoing comics, yeah it would be. I wouldn't be surprised if Gillen wraps it up shortly before Empire and then both Star Wars and Vader get a Season 2 that takes place between Empire and Jedi.

It is indeed, from the incredible Thanksgiving episode.

"She was standing...like this...with her arms around his waist...like so."

Top Bottom