• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkscz

Just finished Batman Beyond #8 and Infamous Ironman #8 and both were surprisingly good. Surprisingly mostly because I didn't expect neither of their endings. Jumping into DeathStroke #19 now and JLA #7 after that. Thinking about buying Scarlet Spider, but not sure if it's any good.

Sandfox

Marvel doing their usual good marketing when this was the first I heard about it and only because it was retweeted by Red Cube Studio? I actually follow the Star Wars books.
It was in the solicitations and everything lol. It's weird how nobody is talking about it.

Wanderer5

So I been reading through Birth of Venom, and I wondered about something. So after Spidey eventually finds out that the black suit is alive, and soon was able to be separated from it, he apparently got a cloth version of the suit that he wears till after dealing with Venom for the first time?

Also gotta love this image.

86d02e2ea05064617ef5184bb0111d1e.jpg

So I been reading through Birth of Venom, and I wondered about something. So after Spidey eventually finds out that the black suit is alive, and soon was able to be separated from it, he apparently got a cloth version of the suit that he wears till after dealing with Venom for the first time?

Don't you wish you collected figures in 2013 so you could have grabbed Kotobukiya's Fine Art Venom?

It's an Erick Sosa sculpt, too. :O

Just finished Batman Beyond #8 and Infamous Ironman #8 and both were surprisingly good. Surprisingly mostly because I didn't expect neither of their endings. Jumping into DeathStroke #19 now and JLA #7 after that. Thinking about buying Scarlet Spider, but not sure if it's any good.
I'm curious on Scarlet Spider too. First issue was meh, and the preview didn't look like a huge improvement. Ended up skipping for now.

Wanderer5

Don't you wish you collected figures in 2013 so you could have grabbed Kotobukiya's Fine Art Venom?

Ha ha maybe?:p That did caught my eye, but course that thing is like beyond expensive now or whatever.

Oh hey, I might get Artfx+ Peter today.

mreddie

Well, I only picked up Secret Warriors, Venom and Doom

Venom- Hmmmm, I'm kinda interested where they go especially now that things have drastically changed and if you're wondering about how Flash lost the suit.

Yeaaahhhh. Prepare for a dud.

Secret Warriors - It's Vacation (the good one) but with Nazis, Inhumans and a Dinosaur!

Timo

Y'all.

Z5mQLyc.jpg

Just finished reading Genius Isolated, about mister Alex Toth. Goddamn. I already had Genius illustrated, assuming his best shit was in there. But his earlier shit is also goddamn superb, stupid would be schlocky shit. If I would have found Toth versus what I did find 5 years ago, I think I would draw way different than I do now. Samnee, Doc Shaner, Mazuchelli, David Aja, Allred, everyone who draws with a little more simple pep to their step, gets it from him.

Y'all.

Just finished reading Genius Isolated, about mister Alex Toth. Goddamn. I already had Genius illustrated, assuming his best shit was in there. But his earlier shit is also goddamn superb, stupid would be schlocky shit. If I would have found Toth versus what I did find 5 years ago, I think I would draw way different than I do now. Samnee, Doc Shaner, Mazuchelli, David Aja, Allred, everyone who draws with a little more simple pep to their step, gets it from him.

I'm honestly totally ignorant to Toth, too ignorant, but I know Toth's name is always up there with Kirby's when describing or commenting on Mignola's work and influences, and for that I am deeply grateful.

IrishNinja

damn, that's cool - even if that line's never cheap, haha
good buddy of mine decided to sell his marvel randy bowen statues recently, i scooped up Cap, DD & Moony with a bust of classic Fury!

I'm honestly totally ignorant to Toth, too ignorant, but I know Toth's name is always up there with Kirby's when describing or commenting on Mignola's work and influences, and for that I am deeply grateful.

wow, i was already interested in dude but now even moreso

related: i wish that leatherbound version of The Art of Hellboy (the one that looks like the library editions of the series) was cheaper

Wanderer5

Just got Artfx+ Spider-Man Peter Parker now. I see if I'll get some pics up later, but he is looking really good.

The packaging looks great too, with some comic/character bits in the backgrounds

1kSPIDEYpack.jpg

I sat down at Barnes and Noble today and read through the first two issues of the Red Hood trade. Ummmmm, it's surprisingly decent? Not the trash I expected. I might catch up on it soon.

I also browsed through Titans, but I can't. I have zero interest in anyone other than Nightwing. Send Wally back to Speedforce/Manhattan prison, IMO.

damn, that's cool - even if that line's never cheap, haha
good buddy of mine decided to sell his marvel randy bowen statues recently, i scooped up Cap, DD & Moony with a bust of classic Fury!

$300 definitely isn't cheap, but considering Sideshow and Prime 1 now approaching $600-$1000 per piece, I can see 1/6 scale statues making a big comeback in the future. Prices of 1/4 and 1/3 scale pieces are out of control. If I really like something, $250-$300 is much easier to digest than $550. I did pre-order the Wonder Woman movie Premium Format because if I collect anything in a way that somewhat approaches Messi's Harley obsession, it's Wonder Woman statues. She is my spirit animal.

...damn, i thought the black suit bowen one was sharp, but that's the best spidey statue/thing ive seen there

That one is only 1/10 scale, so it's pretty small. But Kotobukiya is probably hands-down my favorite figure/statue manufacturer. They put out high-quality figures for pretty fair prices.

It is definitely a very nice small Spider-Man figure. The sculpt in particular is really really good.

My favorite that I seen is probably the recent 1/4 Spider-Man figure from Sideshow.

Man, if these were still the days when a Premium Format would go for $300, I'd be buying them regularly.

Timo

Mignola's work after the first few trades of Hellboy, for sure. It reeks of it, and it's wonderful.

Wanderer5

That one is only 1/10 scale, so it's pretty small. But Kotobukiya is probably hands-down my favorite figure/statue manufacturer. They put out high-quality figures for pretty fair prices.

Good Smile Company got the spotlight from me in the last couple years, but now I moved on to mostly Kotobukiya.XD I haven't planned on getting that many figures this year, but I probably be obtaining 3 from Kotobukiya (Bishoujo Squirrel Girl, Artfx+ Peter Parker that I got now, and maybe Artfx+ Venom). Think it might help that this company probably has quite a bit more presence at US retailers, and yeah their prices seem pretty good, especially the Bishoujo line.

Through I can see how wonderfully displayed bigger figures can be, I definitely still prefer smaller scales for being cheaper and more room to display and pose. Not sure if I would even dip in 1/6th much for the time being, let alone at 1/4 or beyond heh.

Y'all.

My awesome library had a copy of this. Its superbly well put together. The story about Toth showing someone how to draw a head starting with the inner circle of the ear still sticks with me. Anyone interested in the history of comics should check it out.

but I probably be obtaining 3 from Kotobukiya (Bishoujo Squirrel Girl, Artfx+ Peter Parker that I got now, and maybe Artfx+ Venom). Think it might help that this company probably has quite a bit more presence at US retailers, and yeah their prices seem pretty good, especially the Bishoujo line.

Through I can see how wonderfully displayed bigger figures can be, I definitely still prefer smaller scales for being cheaper and more room to display and pose. Not sure if I would even dip in 1/6th much for the time being, let alone at 1/4 or beyond heh.

My bishoujo Squirrel Girl shipped a few days ago, so hopefully I'll get her soon.

As for 1/6; it's probably my favorite scale, but it just happens that there's way more variety in 1/8 and 1/7 right now.

Edit: lmao, this is now StatueGAF. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom