• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Sunstone and Trees are both fantastic. Who knew I'd love a lesbian bdsm comic so much. The art is beautiful.

I'm distraught over Chenglei getting killed in Trees though I was really invested in his story

IrishNinja

Bendis no care.

He can also kill off a character just so no one can use her.

or bring back dead characters and just say they got better

though it's superhero comic books so...............

how much longer do ya'll think before he's gone full cleremont? or has it happened for some of you already?
i can still enjoy his playgrounds like Alias and street-level vigilante stuff, again i just can't touch a team book he's on...and the days when i made distinctions between he & someone like millar for big events are clearly over as well

Have you read Spurrier's Numbercruncher? It's was a 4-part mini released by Titan comics a few years ago. It's been collected. It may be my favorite thing from Spurrier so far. The art is quite different from Stokely. And it's black and white. But I just loved it so damn much. I'll need to give it a re-read one day soon.

Nope! I'm honestly pretty new to Spurrier, so outside of Six Gun Gorilla & The Spire, I'm still pretty ignorant to his work. I have Weavers down to grab since that's coming out like, now, but I'll look into this too! I've even interested in some of the licensed stuff he's doing. The Dark Crystal book....

So Sunstone and Trees are both fantastic. Who knew I'd love a lesbian bdsm comic so much. The art is beautiful.

I'm distraught over Chenglei getting killed in Trees though I was really invested in his story

OH, I'm glad you're enjoying all this stuff btw, I saw your post about Pretty Deadly recently, seems like you've enjoyed most of that stuff from your list awhile back. That bit in the spoiler tags is definitely the :O bit of the whole book lol it got me too. I have the 2nd vol still sitting waiting to be read actually, need to get on that.

caliph95

how much longer do ya'll think before he's gone full cleremont? or has it happened for some of you already?
i can still enjoy his playgrounds like Alias and street-level vigilante stuff, again i just can't touch a team book he's on...and the days when i made distinctions between he & someone like millar for big events are clearly over as well
I'm optimistic about defenders considering it has characters he does well and it's street level

Kim & Kim was decent. Good character designs, nice art, avoids some very common new sci-fi world pet peeves of mine. I also liked how the conflict between Kim Q and her dad was put across in a subtle fashion (as were a lot of the other character moments). The plot itself was a bit eh, though it looks like they did realise what parts would bog it down and just skipped over them completely.

Ha, the current CMX EU best seller list:
1. Detective Comics #957
2. Wonder Woman #23
3. Injustice 2 #7
4. Action Comics #980
5. Deathstroke #19
6. Pathfinder #7
7. Pathfinder #2
8. Pathfinder #5
9. Pathfinder #4
10. Rat Queens #3

Is there some kind of Pathfinder bundle out or something?

Ross61

He did recently come back to DC no? He did the art on this week's Trinity annual

Is it a secret these days?

Yeah and Guillem's and Rob are collaborating on an upcoming Action Comics arc. Think he would be good fit for Suicide Squad. I love the title, but the inconsistent art is stopping if from being better.

And I think it's a secret. Nobody really talks about recent SS except us, or his acclaimed Martian Manhunter DCYou run. Hell even his Vertigo book is said to be good. But that should change when he get's more work.

Messi

Yeah and Guillem's and Rob are collaborating on an upcoming Action Comics arc. Think he would be good fit for Suicide Squad. I love the title, but the inconsistent art is stopping if from being better.

And I think it's a secret. Nobody really talks about recent SS except us, or his acclaimed Martian Manhunter DCYou run. Hell even his Vertigo book is said to be good. But that should change when he get's more work.

Id love Tony S Daniel to stay on Suicide Squad. I love his art. Especially Harley.

Your the first person to say they liked Hellcat more than Squirrel Girl.

I haven't read it, I just don't like the character from all her appearances in other comics.

Check out Bandette

Depending on what you liked about it, I'd also suggest Backstagers. Also anime-inspired, also LGBT friendly, also adorable, also full of feelings.

I liked it.

I'd recommend Slam! It's different, but it shares the focus on friendship. It's about two newbie roller derby girls.

Cheers, I'll check these out.

Id love Tony S Daniel to stay on Suicide Squad. I love his art. Especially Harley.

Daniel is a great fit for SS but he already has a Dark Matter book announced. Going from him to Agustin Padilla is going to be painful.

I liked it.

I'd recommend Slam! It's different, but it shares the focus on friendship. It's about two newbie roller derby girls.

Slam started off so well but it seems like one of those books that just die off. Issues 5 - 8 have all been cancelled by Boom

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Are the events of Injustice 1 & 2 canon or more just some "what if?" thing using the license a multiverse provides, and later on in the main storylines of different comics nobody will be going "remember when we all picked sides with batman & superman fighting over the world?"

Aizo

Banned
I'd like to add a few things by the legendary Yoshihiro Tatsumi: The Pushman and Other Stories, Good-Bye, Abandon the Old in Tokyo, A Drifting Life. Tatsumi was one of the biggest names in the comic movement in Japan a few decades ago, called gekiga, which was recognizable for its darker style and the authors and artists' focus on more mature, experimental stories. The movement was a challenge to the silly, fun manga of the time. My favorite collection would have to be either Pushman or Abandon the Old. Give one a shot! A Drifting Life is his autobiographical work.

Tatsumi passed away in March of 2015, and his death is a huge loss. I hope some of you can find depth and enjoyment in his works.

Are the events of Injustice 1 & 2 canon or more just some "what if?" thing using the license a multiverse provides, and later on in the main storylines of different comics nobody will be going "remember when we all picked sides with batman & superman fighting over the world?"

Injustice is it's own thing. It won't be referenced in the main DC universe.

Read through Detective Comics vol 2. I like this book, and this volume might have been the strongest straight volume by Tynion that I've read, in terms of the actual writing style and craft. He really takes the time to work through and allow the emotional fallout from the last arc to drive the story and the characters forward, and it feels like everyone is really growing and/or changing from their experiences. This seems like something that's really obvious and shouldn't even be a point of merit, but a lot of books get even this wrong, and it's refreshing to see plenty of panel time given over to this stuff, and succeed as a character driven drama. The fact he does this with a team of characters and not just one is exciting. Plus, I feel like TEC is one of the books DC really has down as far as multiple artists and the double shipping schedule go. The team compliment each other and feel similar enough not to cause some of the jarringly obvious handovers issue to issue I've spotted on some other books (even the good books) when you read it back in trade.

Negatively, I can see why folks were maybe disappointed by the victim syndicate. They have a great name, idea and visuals behind them, and I remember the news cycle before the book really hyping them up. In the end, they aren't really that big a deal in the book. Maybe this is an issue with the modern news cycle though and not the book, and considering them as foils for the characters though and a counterpoint to the ideas at play and I thought they worked really well. It would have been nice if Tynion could have said what he had to say (which he does successfully) AND establish a really compelling villain group to the mythos, but I guess that is what it is. It just feels wasted because he's excelling at this specific kind of thing on the book with the heroes.

Anyway, TEC. A really strong rebirth book imo, and the set-up on the Batwoman ongoing is spot on. I feel very confident about that book. There is still the retconning that exists but at least they're laying the foundations post twist to make it all feel a bit more cohesive and I'm fine with it.

Slam started off so well but it seems like one of those books that just die off. Issues 5 - 8 have all been cancelled by Boom

It's heartbreaking. SUCH a great series. I love it so much. And Boom has given way more issues to far weaker books. It's unfair. Almost like they're trying to run a business or something.

I want to get something from the Drawn and Quarterly sale but I probably shouldn't right now... I was eyeing Killing and Dying but I think I can wait on that.

List for this week:
Doom Patrol Volume 1 TPB
Wonder Woman Annual
Kill or Be Killed #9
Sex Criminals #19
Hulk #6

tim1138

I want to get something from the Drawn and Quarterly sale but I probably shouldn't right now... I was eyeing Killing and Dying but I think I can wait on that.

List for this week:
Doom Patrol Volume 1 TPB
Wonder Woman Annual
Kill or Be Killed #9
Sex Criminals #19
Hulk #6

Killing and Dying is super good, I read that last year.

CryptiK

I've started to read comics again. Looking to start with DC Rebirth, Batman, All Star Batman, The Flash, JL, JLA. Going from Rebirth #1 on each title to current will I miss any basic stuff? I know Batman has a crossover with Nightwing and Detective comics, but since Rebirth wasn't a hard restart how much have I missed?

Vic_Viper

I've started to read comics again. Looking to start with DC Rebirth, Batman, All Star Batman, The Flash, JL, JLA. Going from Rebirth #1 on each title to current will I miss any basic stuff? I know Batman has a crossover with Nightwing and Detective comics, but since Rebirth wasn't a hard restart how much have I missed?

You've probably missed a bunch, but the Rebirth issues do a solid job of setting the table. If you have any pressing "lol wut" moments we can probably fill you in :D

I would skip Flash and JL tho. Fair warning. Get Detective Comics and Superman instead.

Ross61

Had no idea he was DC exclusive now. When did this happen and what has he worked on? I think I remember him doing a fill in issue for Trinity but nothing aside from it.

Say what you will about Age of X, his art alone was worth it. Clay Mann, Immonen, and Rivera are my top 3 current artist in the industry.
He was one of the first rounds of exclusive artist when DC was handing out exclusive contracts last year. I want to say it was happening maybe a month before Rebirth.

CryptiK

You've probably missed a bunch, but the Rebirth issues do a solid job of setting the table. If you have any pressing "lol wut" moments we can probably fill you in :D

I would skip Flash and JL tho. Fair warning. Get Detective Comics and Superman instead.
I like the character Flash and saw he has a crossover with Batman. Not a fan of Superman but thanks will keep that in mind.

Vic_Viper

Rebirth might not be a "hard" reset, but tbh its a great starting on point for every title accept for maybe some of the stuff in Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern. The only thing that might be required reading before Rebirth is the Flashpoint event.

I highly recommend reading the New 52 Batman at some point, and If you like Green Lantern id recommend reading Geoff Johns run starting with Green Lantern Rebirth until New 52.

Vic_Viper

I like the character Flash and saw he has a crossover with Batman. Not a fan of Superman but thanks will keep that in mind.

If you like Flash, I would also checkout Titans. Not the Teen Titans book which is pretty good, but rather the older heroes Titans written by Abnett. It follows the old Teen Titans; Nightwing, Wally West Flash, Donna Troy, and Arsenal, The book pretty much follows the Rebirth one shot and carries the story-line set up in it.

Also worth checking out are:

Green Arrow
Wonder Woman
Detective Comics

CryptiK

Rebirth might not be a "hard" reset, but tbh its a great starting on point for every title accept for maybe some of the stuff in Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern. The only thing that might be required reading before Rebirth is the Flashpoint event.

I highly recommend reading the New 52 Batman at some point, and If you like Green Lantern id recommend reading Geoff Johns run starting with Green Lantern Rebirth until New 52.

If you like Flash, I would also checkout Titans. Not the Teen Titans book which is pretty good, but rather the older heroes Titans written by Abnett.
Ive read Flashpoint I just didn't keep reading into new52 so I should be all good there. I'm thinking of going through Batman new52 but I remember starting it and it continuely would go "This story continues in *insert different Batman comic*" Which kind of annoyed me and that doesnt seem to be happening in rebirth besides the crossovers.

Vic_Viper

Ive read Flashpoint I just didn't keep reading into new52 so I should be all good there. I'm thinking of going through Batman new52 but I remember starting it and it continuely would go "This story continues in *insert different Batman comic*" Which kind of annoyed me and that doesnt seem to be happening in rebirth besides the crossovers.

I dont think there were any Tie Ins to events that you had to pick up. Atleast I dont remember any until maybe the Death of the Family arc. If you read past the Court of Owls story arc and didnt like the book then dont worry about it. But I definitely recommend going back at some point with fresh eyes if your looking for a really good Batman book.

There are no crossovers in Rebirth until Justice League vs. Suicide Squad, The Button, and the Lazarus Contract. But those didnt happen until atleast the 2nd year. DC has been doing a much better job with their crossover events lately.

CryptiK

I dont think there were any Tie Ins to events that you had to pick up. Atleast I dont remember any until maybe the Death of the Family arc. If you read past the Court of Owls story arc and didnt like the book then dont worry about it. But I definitely recommend going back at some point with fresh eyes if your looking for a really good Batman book.

There are no crossovers in Rebirth until Justice League vs. Suicide Squad, The Button, and the Lazarus Contract. But those didnt happen until atleast the 2nd year. DC has been doing a much better job with their crossover events lately.
Oh I liked it a lot. Just didnt keep reading.

Also any major events during New52 that I should know for whats coming up in Rebirth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom