• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
uvwbKnZ.jpg

While volume 1 was a confusing read volume 2 is way better at pacing the story and being a little less contrived. It's also a cool WWI story.

ElNarez

Banned
You dont have to go inside most the time.
Most the time the clitoris is pretty good accessible from the outside.

I hope nobody new looks into this thread now 🙈

THE DISCUSSION WAS SPECIFICALLY ABOUT GETTING ALL UP INS, IT'S SPECIFICALLY ABOUT GOING INSIDE

JSA 1999 #1
The start of my JSA run starts with an issue that has couple deaths both on and off panel, which reminds me of the first issue of Justice Society of America in 2007 with the pattern of deaths that appear on the panel. But the story does go into the new and old members of the team that really gives the legacy of the team a shine by showing people dealing with old age and the problems that come with it. As the story continues on, there is a cool fight scene that shows us that these characters
I really dig the writing from both Goyer and Robinson and how they wrote all of the characters both old and new. They give the reader a mystery that they will continue to go with for, I hope, a couple of issues. The art is pretty good for what is was. It reminds me of the late 90's DC art that I remember from reading JLA by Grant Morrison.

Sidenote:
Holy shit. I keep forgetting how bad the design for Fate was in the 90s. Talk about edge load of the 90s.

VanWinkle

JSA 1999 #1
The start of my JSA run starts with an issue that has couple deaths both on and off panel, which reminds me of the first issue of Justice Society of America in 2007 with the pattern of deaths that appear on the panel. But the story does go into the new and old members of the team that really gives the legacy of the team a shine by showing people dealing with old age and the problems that come with it. As the story continues on, there is a cool fight scene that shows us that these characters
I really dig the writing from both Goyer and Robinson and how they wrote all of the characters both old and new. They give the reader a mystery that they will continue to go with for, I hope, a couple of issues. The art is pretty good for what is was. It reminds me of the late 90's DC art that I remember from reading JLA by Grant Morrison.

Sidenote:
Holy shit. I keep forgetting how bad the design for Fate was in the 90s. Talk about edge load of the 90s.

Did you read the issues that came before JSA #1? I forget what they were exactly, but they were set in the golden age and took the names of the old series, like All-Star Squadron and whatnot. They were a good lead up to the actual JSA series, and were actually included in the first omnibus.

Did you read the issues that came before JSA #1? I forget what they were exactly, but they were set in the golden age and took the names of the old series, like All-Star Squadron and whatnot. They were a good lead up to the actual JSA series, and were actually included in the first omnibus.
I bought the first issue off of CMX and that is where I started. Can you send me a link to this?

tim1138

JSA 1999 #1

Sidenote:

This is such a great run, I read through it all again a few years back when the omnibi came out.

Seriously, what gods do I need to make a sacrifice to so that Claire Roe can draw Wonder Woman on a regular basis.

who is this?

Im only asking because I think they're attractive.

While volume 1 was a confusing read volume 2 is way better at pacing the story and being a little less contrived. It's also a cool WWI story.
Nice, looking forward to vol 2

Great writeup Ed, really glad you enjoyed it. I read through both vol 1 and 2 a month or two back, and love it as well. I believe they literally plot, illustrate and script the book scene by scene, back and forth between the whole team during production, which speaks alot to why it feels like you can barely tell where the writing ends and the art begins. Very special book, especially artistically. Hold onto your butt because vol 2 goes even further.

Sounds silly, but I kind of fear recommending it, or at least feel like I have to heavily caveat it. It's so accomplished it should be a must read on one level, but it's so different and unsparing compared to a lot of other books. I think it commands a lot of reader engagement, maybe more than folks are used to, I don't know.
I didn't know they collaborated scene by scene. Not sure many other duos do it like that. Maybe Morrison and Quietly. I think thats mostly as a result of them living in the same city.

Any clue on if theres gonna be a vol 3? Trying avoid interviews and articles to dodge possible spoilers

The thing with Pretty Deadly is that it read HORRIBLY month to month. Brutal. It was painful for me. On the one hand, I would really enjoy it. That art, unf! But given the storytelling style, it should have been an OGN. It's all like poetic and mysterious. It asks you to lean in and pay close attention. Sit and be thoughtful with the characters. Then you put it down and pick up the next issue 4 weeks later and all the threads have fallen away. Easily the worst experience I've had trying to follow a story month to month.
Yeah, this is in part why I rather read collections. The slow drip of monthly releases doesn't do much for me. I don't think Image releases OGNs. So even if it does read like a complete story collected, it still wouldn't be released any other way.

Killing and Dying is super good, I read that last year.

Good to know! whatsinaname said it was good too, so it's definitely something I'd like to read sometime. I saw it's only a few more bucks on Amazon, even with the D+Q sale, so I'm gonna wait a bit. Focusing all of my non-weekly reading on Kirby right now.

I didn't know they collaborated scene by scene. Not sure many other duos do it like that. Maybe Morrison and Quietly. I think thats mostly as a result of them living in the same city.

Any clue on if theres gonna be a vol 3? Trying avoid interviews and articles to dodge possible spoilers .

There absolutely is going to be a 3rd vol, KSD shared some of Rios' sketches a little back on twitter in fact! The plan is to do 5 or maybe it's 7 all in, I can't remember which. I know what the next two eras are but I'll leave it out since you're avoiding spoilers. Very excited for volume 4 personally. And yea, I thought their process sounded really cool, I can't remember if that was in the back of one of the trades, or an interview online.

Also holy shit man, I haven't read the two parter yet, Rooftops, but I read through I Am Suicide and god damn. That was literally incredible. Janin and Chung absolutely killed it, and I much prefer this art team with King to Finch. Just fantastic.

I leave you alone for the afternoon and come back to madness. Did I literally read the word clitoris in this thread? And it was used in a similar way my friends would say it back in fifth grade. "Dude, you won't even believe where that thing is!"

I love Ant-Man, but he does have a history of creepy spying.

caliph95

I leave you alone for the afternoon and come back to madness. Did I literally read the word clitoris in this thread? And it was used in a similar way my friends would say it back in fifth grade. "Dude, you won't even believe where that thing is!"

Just the lovable rogue one

I believe "accessible" is the word he used.

c07c28b2f57bc12ec07d947c8877bfe7.gif

caliph95

It does confirm for me as a hypocrite the lets say demographic of this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom