• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

I have a question. How the fuck does Marvel keep getting me to buy these shitty event books? Do I have an innate need to punish myself? Do I need to keep up with the current story no matter how bad it is? Do I just hate money?
Continuity/hype tax until you drop everything marvel. It's easier if you MU and stop reading solicits altogether.

I have a question. How the fuck does Marvel keep getting me to buy these shitty event books? Do I have an innate need to punish myself? Do I need to keep up with the current story no matter how bad it is? Do I just hate money?

You've spent so much time and money on the universe that you need to see it through or you'll feel like it was all wasted. You're somewhat what retailers called a "zombie" in those reports. :p

Continuity/hype tax until you drop everything marvel. It's easier if you MU and stop reading solicits altogether.

Or just drop everything Marvel.

You've spent so much time and money on the universe that you need to see it through or you'll feel like it was all wasted. You're somewhat what retailers called a "zombie" in those reports. :p

Well, I have yet to actually pull the trigger on Secret Empire #1, but one of you has to stop me within the next few minutes.

ElNarez

Banned

Comic books have weaponized fear of missing out, but, hey, remind yourself it's a Nick Spencer book and your contempt levels should get high enough to make you skip all that bad shit.

Sandfox

Comic books have weaponized fear of missing out, but, hey, remind yourself it's a Nick Spencer book and your contempt levels should get high enough to make you skip all that bad shit.
I think you're the only one here who hates Spencer to the degree that you do.

oh shit, I completely forgot. ElNarez saves the day. Just saved me $5.

I think you're the only one here who hates Spencer to the degree that you do.

I'll never forgive him for that shit-show that was Morning Glories. 50 issues of FUCKING NOTHING.

My problem is I largely stop giving a crap about reading current superhero comics when I don't follow them as they come out and discussions are active. Marvel Unlimited for me is only good for reading completed runs and I don't need a yearly subscription for that. I wish they had a higher tier subscription with day one releases.

Marvel Unlimited for me is only good for reading completed runs and I don't need a yearly subscription for that. I wish they had a higher tier subscription with day one releases.

The issue with that is Marvel would deem such a thing to be worth more money than it actually is.

Just like their comics!

Sandfox

oh shit, I completely forgot. ElNarez saves the day. Just saved me $5.

I'll never forgive him for that shit-show that was Morning Glories. 50 issues of FUCKING NOTHING.
Yeah, but EINarez really hates him on a personal level from even before the current stuff lol.

My problem is I largely stop giving a crap about reading current superhero comics when I don't follow them as they come out and discussions are active. Marvel Unlimited for me is only good for reading completed runs and I don't need a yearly subscription for that. I wish they had a higher tier subscription with day one releases.
That would cut into sales too much.

The issue with that is Marvel would deem such a thing to be worth more money than it actually is.

Just like their comics!

Is this hate for Marvel because of Nick Spencer? Because I thought people generally liked Marvel comics unless they were mad about nazi Cap or gender/race switched heroes.

Sandfox

The new Guardians book did a good job setting up the story and the art really fits the book. I'm looking forward to more and stuff is actually going to happen in this book unlike the Bendis run.

ElNarez

Banned
Yeah, but EINarez really hates him on a personal level from even before the current stuff lol.

Depends on what you mean about "before the current stuff", because it's a matter of record that I started hating Nick Spencer when Steve Rogers: Captain America #2, in which the Red Skull is a wacky dad, dropped.

It was made worse by Sam Wilson: Captain America #17 (the "tumblr is bad" issue), and it's been further downhill ever since, but, I've boosted Spencer books before. Early Sam Wilson was pretty good as an action comedy starring lovable losers fighting back against contemporary evils.

Sandfox

Marvel caught some flak, huh?

A bunch of retailers came together and asked people at Marvel to bring it. There was also the fan reaction.

Depends on what you mean about "before the current stuff", because it's a matter of record that I started hating Nick Spencer when Steve Rogers: Captain America #2, in which the Red Skull is a wacky dad, dropped.

It was made worse by Sam Wilson: Captain America #17 (the "tumblr is bad" issue), and it's been further downhill ever since, but, I've boosted Spencer books before. Early Sam Wilson was pretty good as an action comedy starring lovable losers fighting back against contemporary evils.
A few months ago I remember you saying that everything he has every put out is terrible lol.

VanWinkle

Batman #22 was decent. Felt SUPER decompressed, though. I don't know where they're going with this event with only one more issue left.

I kind of wish King hadn't written the first issue of it, though. I actually loved it and it was easily my favorite issue so far because I love that style of writing and paneling, but it was sooo different than what we're getting now that it's just jarring.

tim1138

Regarding Batman #22, Fabok tweeted today that he and Williamson approached the issue as if it was an issue of Flashpoint, with big action and emotional beats.

mreddie

I want to spoil this but in honor of the rules, okay...

People celebrating Mutants having a separate nation while Inhumans get detained, THE FUCK

I want to spoil this but in honor of the rules, okay...

People celebrating Mutants having a separate nation while Inhumans get detained, THE FUCK

In or out of comic? That seems weird, but I could maybe see people just happy it's not the one for once? I wouldn't exactly apply that to actual life thinking.

I'm happy to see this storyline getting the level of writing talent it deserves. :)

mth.gif

I can't tell if this is calling King or the storyline bad, or if It's saying Williamson is better than King.

I think I'm mad on all accounts.

Sandfox

Secret Empire #1 is wild and everything seems to be pretty well thought out compared to a lot of other recent events. The book also has a crazy amount of content.

The worst. I remember downloading that piece of shit app just to read the Massive short from Brian Wood. I gave up trying to read it because the app was so clunky.
I only ever bought Empowered on it. I only read a little because of it. Maybe I should see if it's improved....

Secret Empire #1 question -

Is there an explanation for why Vision, Odinson, and Wanda are working for Hydra?

Deadpool, Taskmaster, and Superior Octopus are an obvious given, but not those three.

Sandfox

But it's a significant timeskip? I was just a bit jarred by the whole 'new world order' coming into play out of nowhere.
Some time has passed, though
brainwashing kinda reduces the time it would take to reach the current level of takeover.

Just read the spoilers for Secret Empire 1 on io9. What happened would actually be insane if this all wasn't going to be wiped away with a cosmic cube after. This story doesn't even sound fun like Superior Spidey or Iron-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom