• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

error4041

Mighty.jpg
Slott's Avengers was so good. It was a great positive book from a time where almost everything was dark and moody.

So I watched the Darksiders III trailer.

WE ARE NOT WORTHY

"They are seven, and you are but one."
"Gladly"

FUCKING HYPE AS SHIT

YOU CAN'T STOP THE HORSEMEN
Slott's Avengers was so good. It was a great positive book from a time where almost everything was dark and moody.
I read some of it for the Inhumans arc and I've decided to read all of it when I get the chance.

It caught me by surprise. I really didn't expect that we'd ever get another game in that series.
It seems like they're finishing the original plan, which works for me. I was
assuming Strife to be in this one, given that now we know at some point he stopped by the Makers' world and lost both of his guns. It's assumed that all of them had died and War was the last, and he broke the seal at the same time. Death died, rekindling humanity. So I would assume that, based on the fact that Strife is gone by the time War is imprisoned (since that's when Death goes on his quest). We also see that Fury is alive during a similar time period, but it's interesting to note that the Charred Council gives Fury her mission in front of War, and when War's quest begins, he has no idea what happened to any of the other Horsemen. On top of this, I believe Death killed one of the Seven Sins in the DLC for Ds2, when he went back to Earth and found the last human. Or at least Demon claiming to be one (either gluttony or greed). So I'm really interested as to where all of this falls. I assume Strife's game will be a prequel to the others. Interesting even more is how Fury is completely loyal to the Council, while War and Death are skeptical.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Is Rumble done? I was just checking Image's website and it seems like the last issue came out in October and there's no more issues scheduled to come out. Haven't read volume 3 so I'm not sure if there's an ending there or if the story continues.

caliph95

Is Rumble done? I was just checking Image's website and it seems like the last issue came out in October and there's no more issues scheduled to come out. Haven't read volume 3 so I'm not sure if there's an ending there or if the story continues.
All i find is a reddit thread and apparently they are working on it.

mreddie

It's several things. The "newness" of her character has definitely worn off and the stories Wilson is telling with her aren't as bold and different as anything else in Marvel these days. CW2 definitely gave people a jumping off point though.

People may also be trade waiting. Her book is still alright but it isn't "top of the pile, must read" anymore.

Kamala's core audience aren't the type to either read another book and some thought it ended right after Secret Wars

Owzers

I didn't like Split as much as I hoped, reminded me of 10 cloverfield lane where I just felt like it didn't do enough after I finished watching.

Read Saga volume 7. Is there another contender for best ongoing? This just seems to me to blow everything else out of the water.

Things that I read that may rival it:

Motor Girl
Paper Girls
The Flintstones

I do wonder if part of what I love about Saga is how cinematic it is. I was a big film fan in another life.

JTripper

Read Saga volume 7. Is there another contender for best ongoing? This just seems to me to blow everything else out of the water.

I do wonder if part of what I love about Saga is how cinematic it is. I was a big film fan in another life.

Re-reading Book One HC after just recently ordering Book Two. Still great. Don't remember much from this series after the first couple chapters though. Guessing it's still amazing 36 or so issues in?

All i find is a reddit thread and apparently they are working on it.

So it's super vague right now. The team has committed publicly a few times, since the last issue shipped and they announced a hiatus, that there is going to be more (I asked them myself and I've been watching for any change in responses on twitter). That seems like a lock for now. Harren has been doing those issues of Seven To Eternity lately, I guess we need to see if he needs to line up another project first or not. I think the whole team love working on the book but it is so under the radar and low on sales I think it's a bit of a struggle, Harren is probably busy making bank and raising his profile right now.

Storywise, volume 3 rounds out the *first chapter* of the story, it doesn't have an end end, but it has a satisfying conclusion for this leg, and a good place to leave off on for the break.

Good question, I feel like this is *depends what mood you catch me in* thing haha, Saga is incredible. There's times I feel like Lazarus or Southern Bastards are up there though, and Deadly Class has it's highs. Arcudi's BPRD run that just finished up was just incredible but I guess that's not ongoing any longer. The dark horse actually might be Shutter. I need to read further, but I actually was so into that book while I was reading it. I'm really bad at chooising what it best though, I just end up listing everything I like haha

Wanderer5

I remembered back when I was doing a comic class a couple years ago, Saga volume 1 was a book that wasn't a requirement to get, but still a recommendation for a day of talking about it. I decided not to get it, more so cause I was lazy, and man that day when it was being talked about convinced me to check it the first volume later in the afternoon lol.

It is still quite a enjoyable series to keep checking in on.

arkon

Haven't read as much the last few nights, I've been watching Legion and I've been so engrossed I couldn't possibly read at the same time. Finished up the season tonight and yea, just a fantastic series. I would love for there to be more x titles or just comics that looked at this kind of thing. If I really wanted to, I could pick a hole here or there, but by and large it was absolutely incredible, a show with a real voice of it's own. I'd recommend to anyone looking for an engaging show, never mind just comic fans.

X-men Legacy by Spurrier et al. does. I think the show might be based off that. I don't know if that take on the character is unique to Spurrier's run though so maybe the show is a mashup of previous takes on Legion. Those are the only comics I've read featuring Legion.

Messi

The last issue announced a hiatus. Sales aren't great.

X-men Legacy by Spurrier et al. does. I think the show might be based off that. I don't know if that take on the character is unique to Spurrier's run though so maybe the show is a mashup of previous takes on Legion. Those are the only comics I've read featuring Legion.

The whole exploration of mental psychosis wrapped up in mental powers is just so well realised on the show, it's the kind of canvas having mutants on the board should provide, but it's rarely that deeply looked at. I'll definitely need to check out the Spurrier run, it's out of print in paperback unfortunately and I don't really want the omnibus Hah another one to note down to revisit if I go grab a month of MU at some point!

Aizo

Banned
I remembered back when I was doing a comic class a couple years ago, Saga volume 1 was a book that wasn't a requirement to get, but still a recommendation for a day of talking about it. I decided not to get it, more so cause I was lazy, and man that day when it was being talked about convinced me to check it the first volume later in the afternoon lol.

It is still quite a enjoyable series to keep checking in on.
As someone who has been reading it for a few years, I feel it's a bit slow reading as each issue comes out, but reading trades is a treat.

Maybe I'll go for the Legion omnibus after all. The run was only 4 volumes so it can't be that much bigger than the average OHC, maybe one and a half? Do folks have any opinions on Spurrier's X-Force run?

Going the other route from comics off of the Legion TV show, I might actually check out one of Noah Hawley's novels.

Will need to read this Bane interview actually, Ive heard literally nothing about this book. Does it spin out of what King has been doing or just it's own thing?

caliph95

Maybe I'll go for the Legion omnibus after all. The run was only 4 volumes so it can't be that much bigger than the average OHC, maybe one and a half? Do folks have any opinions on Spurrier's X-Force run?
It is the second best of the X-force runs i read (modern ones at least never read the 90s)

Hagi

New Guardians was really good, think I probably should have read the last issue of the Bendis run beforehand though as there's some set-up a new readers seems to be missing.

Batman

As much as I was bitching about this not being written by King(still think it was fucked up they wait til not even a week until before announcing) I actually freaking loved this issue and it makes me hyped as hell.

It really seems like timeline wise everything is open season. It's only been a few months since Flashpoint?!

Deathstroke

I'm actually bummed were going right into Lazarus Contract after this. I want more of this IMMEDIATELY.

Superman

I'm so confused, what is this weird Bat Mobile?

I'm only 3 issues in, but so far it's a great week of comics.

Batman was ok, but we are three issues into this story and I feel we still no nothing about what's going on.

I'm thinking this whole crossover is just telling us what is at stake and is more or less just lead up to Metal or Forge/Casting.

Like we mostly are just learning stuff about the timeline.
Someone was keeping Flashpoint going for some reason and then once they're there it stops. Flashpoint was only a few months ago in current continuity. Stuff like that seems more important to the cross-over than basically the title of it(the button).

It is the second best of the X-force runs i read (modern ones at least never read the 90s)

You liked it that much, huh? Awesome. I'm guessing Remender's run takes the top spot?

New Guardians was really good, think I probably should have read the last issue of the Bendis run beforehand though as there's some set-up a new readers seems to be missing.

Mmm, I have not read either so I could be very wrong but I am under the impression from reading interviews there are intentional unexplained changes in the status quo with Drax, Groot etc that will be filled in as time goes on via the issues with the guest artists

dan2026

I'm thinking this whole crossover is just telling us what is at stake and is more or less just lead up to Metal or Forge/Casting.

Like we mostly are just learning stuff about the timeline.
Someone was keeping Flashpoint going for some reason and then once they're there it stops. Flashpoint was only a few months ago in current continuity. Stuff like that seems more important to the cross-over than basically the title of it(the button).
I guess the one real takeaway is that there is
some malevolent force toying with time and reality.
Allowing Batman to see his father, just to destroy said father and the world minutes later.

Whoever is behind this, they are clearly not playing with a full deck.

caliph95

You liked it that much, huh? Awesome. I'm guessing Remender's run takes the top spot?
I mean in the modern runs at least there is only like 5 X-force runs whith the only ones i read in full was Spurrier, Yost (one of my earliest books that i regularly follow) and Rick remender so it's not really hard to be second spot.

I guess the one real takeaway is that there is
some malevolent force toying with time and reality.
Allowing Batman to see his father, just to destroy said father and the world minutes later.

Whoever is behind this, they are clearly not playing with a full deck.

It also sort of delivers a message that Batman has been seeking for a while.
Batman this entire Rebirth run has been all about having a good death and satisfying his parents, and then he meets his dad and he straight out tells him to not be Batman. Made me think whoever was keeping the world alive was wanting Bruce to not be Batman...

I mean in the modern runs at least there is only like 5 X-force runs whith the only ones i read in full was Spurrier, Yost (one of my earliest books that i regularly follow) and Rick remender so it's not really hard to be second spot.

This is true! Managed to find those X-Men Legacy volumes for regular price on ebay after fidgeting around with keywords, so I'll give those a whirl and follow on to X-Force if it's a success (can't really see disliking anything Spurrier has done at this point).

Hagi

Mmm, I have not read either so I could be very wrong but I am under the impression from reading interviews there are intentional unexplained changes in the status quo with Drax, Groot etc that will be filled in as time goes on via the issues with the guest artists

That would save me buying another issue of the woeful Bendis run. I don't really mind being dropped into the middle, there's a lot of cool things afoot in the first issue.

That would save me buying another issue of the woeful Bendis run. I don't really mind being dropped into the middle, there's a lot of cool things afoot in the first issue.

Haven't you heard, Bendis run was better than Abnett and Lanning. Yea, it looks and sounds great, the previews have been golden. If I was a monthly dude, I would be all over that. I kinda want to read the baby groot book too lol did you check out Black Bolt?

Oh maaaan, the dark tower trailer. I honestly don't know what to think. Felt very good about the It trailer but I'm just so apprehensive about this movie, I want it to be amazing haha. It's obvious they're going to have to cherry pick to do The Dark Tower, but it all depends what and how. There's definitely some cool stuff in the trailer though.

caliph95

Haven't you heard, Bendis run was better than Abnett and Lanning. Yea, it looks and sounds great, the previews have been golden. If I was a monthly dude, I would be all over that. I kinda want to read the baby groot book too lol did you check out Black Bolt?
Who said that

Oh maaaan, the dark tower trailer. I honestly don't know what to think. Felt very good about the It trailer but I'm just so apprehensive about this movie, I want it to be amazing haha. It's obvious they're going to have to cherry pick to do The Dark Tower, but it all depends what and how. There's definitely some cool stuff in the trailer though.
Actually All-New GotG is twice monthly.

Edit: Love these kind of takedowns.

Hagi

I'm probably going to pick up both Groot and Rocket when they come out, the former should be really fun. What they are doing in the main book in regards to baby Groot is interesting. I might buy Black Bolt later out of curiosity, the art looks cool.

Not really sure what to make out of the Dark Tower trailer as someone who has only read half of the first book. Definitely going to see it though.

Who said that

Guardians of the Galaxy: Why Bendis Succeeded and Abnett and Lanning Failed
lol

Actually All-New GotG is twice monthly.

Yea but "If I was a twice monthly dude" doesn't have the same ring to it! :p

I'm probably going to pick up both Groot and Rocket when they come out, the former should be really fun. What they are doing in the main book in regards to baby Groot is interesting. I might buy Black Bolt later out of curiosity, the art looks cool.

Not really sure what to make out of the Dark Tower trailer as someone who has only read half of the first book. Definitely going to see it though.

Yeaaa, I think Duggan said something about the baby groot stuff being really dark on his end lol? Definitely share thoughts on BB if you grab it, I saw a 9.5/10 for it this morning on one of the review sites. Pretty awesome for the guy's first comic book if true!

Hagi

Damn Descender is really cool can't believe I slept on this book. Volume 1 was very interesting and that art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom